Nascar 21 to be called NASCAR NXT

They apparently went through the trouble of modeling the garage area of every track but didn't actually implement it in the final game.

From what I saw in some videos, if your car suffers too much damage it puts you back in the garage area. I'm presuming there was meant to be a cutscene of the car being pushed/towed/whatever back to the garage but wasn't enough time to finish it, or maybe it's supposed to be explorable in career mode in some capacity.

Another thing... I wonder if it would be better to have a NR2003 decompilation/reimplementation project at this point, considering it's still the gold standard for NASCAR games (along with NT2004 for console players) but it's facing issues with newer versions of Windows.

But you also have to account not only the legal controversies (C&Ds/DMCAs/lawsuits) over executable physics mods that surrounded NR2003 (although they seem to have stopped now, given the release of a physics editor tool in 2016 that went uncontested) but also the ongoing re3 project vs T2 lawsuit.
I'm having a hard time connecting this mumbo jumbo with anything about this game.

I was talking about the state of NASCAR gaming in general, not just this game.
Yeah and I'm talking about this game - it makes little sense in the grand context of things. Not exactly sure how much of that has to do with Nascar games and their current climate when you're talking about modding a 18 year old game as if it's somehow relevant, or how an 18 year old game is having issues with the newer version of windows. It didn't even needed to be posted twice in the first place and was likely ignored the first time for that reason.

Last edited:
Apparently vibration was just patched in, but I heard they halfed assed it. Can you confirm?
Yep it's half arsed, you may not have it at the start of a session, it can randomly dissappear and is dominated by an absurdly heavy centre spring.

Oh and you have zero options to adjust it, because this title is just a mess.

Last edited:
Yep it's half arsed, you may not have it at the start of a session, it can randomly dissappear and is dominated by an absurdly heavy centre spring.

Oh and you have zero options to adjust it, because this title is just a mess.
Sounds exactly like the cruise control on the '94 Plymouth Sundance I owned once... which was also something that was full of poor design decisions and technical problems that should have been fixed before it was put out for sale.

But hey, at least now you can fully turn off the steering assist, or so they say, so... there's that much, I suppose.

Sounds exactly like the cruise control on the '94 Plymouth Sundance I owned once... which was also something that was full of poor design decisions and technical problems that should have been fixed before it was put out for sale.

But hey, at least now you can fully turn off the steering assist, or so they say, so... there's that much, I suppose.
That's does indeed switch off and is actually off when it says so

The leader board would cause me fits because it keeps moving what drivers are tracked for no reason.
It looks like instead of tracking cars by what place they're in, it's showing them in direct relation to the physical position of the player's car on the track. It's going bonkers like that due to the field passing by in the other direction on the road course and being considered "close", even though their track position is way in the back.

I'm pretty sure the idea was to show where lap traffic was in relation to the player, but it's clearly not implemented in a way that works outside of an oval where everyone's going the same direction all the time.

Last edited:
Must be the only person I’ve seen say that.
Well with the latest patch it plays a lot better and is stable. The game is really barebones but I like the driving and AI, when they keep it together. Mostly the case! The game definitely isn't up to standard yet but it surely is going into the right direction. I think however that 'Ignition' will stay rather basic but that it'll get additional polish over the months to come. Feedback through controller and wheel support is a must.

Attachments

• NASCAR 21_ Ignition_20211030184102_1.png
    NASCAR 21_ Ignition_20211030184102_1.png
    225.8 KB · Views: 15
  • NASCAR 21_ Ignition_20211031143700.png
    NASCAR 21_ Ignition_20211031143700.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 15
  • NASCAR 21_ Ignition_20211030093708.png
    NASCAR 21_ Ignition_20211030093708.png
    207.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
And today they have released chargeable DLC for ignition.

Now I know publishers will have a preplanned scheduled for DLC ahead of launch, but this is a title that's is still seriously broken, so this just doesn't suit well at all, and certainly not for £11!

Screenshot_20211111_191827_com.valvesoftware.android.steam.community.jpg

Last edited:

Now I know publishers will have a preplanned scheduled for DLC ahead of launch, but this is a title that's is still seriously broken, so this just doesn't suit well at all, and certainly not for £11!

View attachment 1093190
Agree Scaff! This should have been handled a lot more delicate. This is like putting oil on fire.

View attachment 1093190
$15 for eight paint schemes is hardly a good value, even for a fully functional game. I know that's just a thing that's been happening with NASCAR games over the last few years, but I doubt this was going to get good reviews no matter what. Though in this case, people gave up on the game so fast I wonder if it'll even get any reviews at all.

I have no interest in this game outside of the creators also have the IndyCar license. So I am hoping the IndyCar doesn't turn out like this :nervous::scared:

What gets me watching Jimmy's review at the end of the video is that, if you want an actually good NASCAR game, then your choices by this point are NR2003, or iRacing. An almost two decade old game, and a live service, eSports competitive title with clear links to the first game mentioned within its code base and physics system. Both of which are on PC exclusively.

By this point, it's clear that NASCAR much, much more values its partnerships with iRacing going by dropping legacy content like old vehicles and North Wilkesboro, and being the first place to get stuff like the planned Chicago street course and the LA Colosseum track. By this point, it's clear that NASCAR wants, and expects you to buy into iRacing specifically if you want an actually decent NASCAR racing experience. Why continue the charade of publishing and getting games made for console when it's very likely Motorsport Games, the purveyor of a vast majority of licenses to second tier racing series', are going to continue to push the limits of how low they can go in making a **** game? Because I guarantee that while they have the excuse of being a first time developer, developing for cross-gen, during COVID might fly this time, any other excuses are going to be looked at with the suspicion they should be. Especially when, as pointed out up thread, they're charging money for throwback drivers and skins when the game is still in an otherwise busted, bare bones state.

What gets me watching Jimmy's review at the end of the video is that, if you want an actually good NASCAR game, then your choices by this point are NR2003, or iRacing. An almost two decade old game, and a live service, eSports competitive title with clear links to the first game mentioned within its code base and physics system. Both of which are on PC exclusively.

By this point, it's clear that NASCAR much, much more values its partnerships with iRacing going by dropping legacy content like old vehicles and North Wilkesboro, and being the first place to get stuff like the planned Chicago street course and the LA Colosseum track. By this point, it's clear that NASCAR wants, and expects you to buy into iRacing specifically if you want an actually decent NASCAR racing experience. Why continue the charade of publishing and getting games made for console when it's very likely Motorsport Games, the purveyor of a vast majority of licenses to second tier racing series', are going to continue to push the limits of how low they can go in making a **** game? Because I guarantee that while they have the excuse of being a first time developer, developing for cross-gen, during COVID might fly this time, any other excuses are going to be looked at with the suspicion they should be. Especially when, as pointed out up thread, they're charging money for throwback drivers and skins when the game is still in an otherwise busted, bare bones state.
For that reason I thought that NASCAR could go "F it" and just sign a (lifetime) exclusivity deal with iRacing, console sales/playerbase be damned (since this is what @Scaff brought up earlier) - also I also thought that a majority of NASCAR fanbase (in the US) have touched iRacing, so...

To iterate, it's pretty clear that there won't be an iRacing developed, standalone NASCAR game. Motorsport Games paid a pretty penny for exclusivity, and it probably makes more money for NASCAR to have a developer **** out titles that are mediocre at best because console players are stuck between an eSports title on PC, or an objectively bad title on consoles.

What I can see is iRacing using Monster Games as a subsidiary to produce short track content into a standalone, one time purchase game. iRacing is about the only place that actually cares for it within the sim space, and it could serve as a good entry point for those into the general iRacing garden. Considering iRacing's development into offline AI and rolling it out slowly, it makes me think that is where they are going with things.

Iracing has acquired Monster Games, hopefully this means a decent Stock car based game down the line.

"MGI will be developed using technology and content from the shared resources of all three development studios."

I hope that means a new graphics engine as well, because Unity gotta go! lol

Back