NASCAR in GT5!

• Thread starter Masi_23
  • 1,700 comments
After playing around with the NASCAR stuff a bit, I get the feeling that NASCAR had a 3rd party develop this stuff and then paid PD to tack it on to GT5. It's nothing but awful.

Yes. The corner speeds at Indy are insanely high compared to reality. Its just stuck at a much higher speed than it should be. I can't believe this was actually tested?

Thats because of A) tires are too grippy, try hards, or B) because NASCAR COTs in game have NO restrictor plate, like would be issued at daytona\indy.

Umm...they run on grippy slicks in real life?

Another fail by PD, you don't get to pick your tire. Goodyear brings one right and one left side compound to each track.

Why did you spend the money for the game?
I could tell you wouldn't be happy from you earlier posts, remember?
You should have saved your money and saved yourself from the.......fail.

The previous posts from others show they have progressed on making thinks work.
Looks like good progress as far as racing others.
I know it ain't against the pro drivers with real techniques like you have at your disposal, but it is a solution for now and has not even been really tested yet.

So if you have nothing beneficial about the topic I suggest you don't post at all.

We heard your comments already, many times.
It's getting old.

Too bad no one wants to do a nascar race online :(
I opened a room tonight with "NASCAR ONLY" in the title, no one came in.. had to do some laps on my own.

Compared to other racing series', the Sprint Cup series actually runs on a very hard tire, the closest to real in GT5 is the hard racing compound.

Depends what track now doesn't it? Remember when they ran the hard tires at Indy. Debacle of a race.

You have numbers to back up your claim that the hard compound is closest? The cars are so far out of touch from reality a tire change isn't going to fix the problems. I CANT HEAR YOU OVER MY TRANNY WHINE.

I'll be damned. I've been on the Last Advanced Challenge since Midnight trying for gold it's now 4:45AM managing only second.

I quit to go to bed, but checked the internet first, saw this thread, turned off ABS and won my first try by .115.

Awesome...:sarcasm:

I'll tell you something, NASCAR might not be perfect in GT5 but man what a blast it is. Had a race earlier on with AI in arcade mode, really enjoyed it.

Depends what track now doesn't it? Remember when they ran the hard tires at Indy. Debacle of a race.

You have numbers to back up your claim that the hard compound is closest? The cars are so far out of touch from reality a tire change isn't going to fix the problems. I CANT HEAR YOU OVER MY TRANNY WHINE.

any car with adjustable tranny has loud whine in this game.

Hi don't know if this has been posted yet but if you are having trouble with the special events for nascar due to the ASM feature stuck on and you have a DFGT wheel you can overide the game setting with the wheel controls after the race has started. So much easier to get gold with the car not losing speed.

Cheers

You can do this with a six-axis too, but you have to configure all the RA menu controls on the controller, which might not suit some people. I have L3 to bring up the RA menus, then the d-pad for selection and adjustment.

You can do this with a six-axis too, but you have to configure all the RA menu controls on the controller, which might not suit some people. I have L3 to bring up the RA menus, then the d-pad for selection and adjustment.

Or just move the ABS settings to zero and it will automatically disable ASM. ;)

Shot these last night:

GrandValleySpeedway.jpg

MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca.jpg

HighSpeedRing.jpg

MazdaRacewayLagunaSeca_1.jpg

Superspeedway-Daytona_6.jpg

More HERE.

I dove into some setup options to make the cars turn better on the ovals and....why can't I give the LF tire positive camber and adjust each corner's spring rate independently?

Someone tell me... I'm not very familiar with NASCAR but: Is it (in real life) the sole purpose in NASCAR to give your opponents a subtle push from behind so they spin off the track? I'm trying to finish the Daytona race but it seems at least 9 out of 10 attempts end with an AI car pulling this trick on me. However, me trying to do the exact same thing to them has absolutely no effect.

So... is this what NASCAR is all about? And... do the AI cars have different laws of physics than the player car?

I have no idea how to attack this race. The first one at Indy was won with no problems but in the Daytona one the AI seems hellbent to ram me off the track. Inside line, outside line, evasive maneuvers, it all ends with the same tragedy.

What the hell?

Someone tell me... I'm not very familiar with NASCAR but: Is it (in real life) the sole purpose in NASCAR to give your opponents a subtle push from behind so they spin off the track? I'm trying to finish the Daytona race but it seems at least 9 out of 10 attempts end with an AI car pulling this trick on me. However, me trying to do the exact same thing to them has absolutely no effect.

So... is this what NASCAR is all about? And... do the AI cars have different laws of physics than the player car?

I have no idea how to attack this race. The first one at Indy was won with no problems but in the Daytona one the AI seems hellbent to ram me off the track. Inside line, outside line, evasive maneuvers, it all ends with the same tragedy.

What the hell?
No, you just need to hold your line incredibly solid. You're drifting around into the other cars.

What the hell?

If you can't do what the previous poster suggested (keep an iron solid line with a very steady hand on the wheel), then just stay in last position drafting the second to last car til the end of lap 19, then use the draft to overtake everyone during lap 20 and win.

Someone tell me... I'm not very familiar with NASCAR but: Is it (in real life) the sole purpose in NASCAR to give your opponents a subtle push from behind so they spin off the track?

Yes, in some situations it is. When you watch real races, you will notice, that team drivers are pushing each others from behind to get more speed on straights.

And it also happens very often, that there is contact between cars, so one of them (or both) spin off into the wall. That happens very quick, because NASCAR cars are very tricky at the limit (but not in GT5)

NASCAR is a full contact sport, I think, but not to be confused with destruction derby.

Yes, in some situations it is. When you watch real races, you will notice, that team drivers are pushing each others from behind to get more speed on straights.

And it also happens very often, that there is contact between cars, so one of them (or both) spin off into the wall. That happens very quick, because NASCAR cars are very tricky at the limit (but not in GT5)

NASCAR is a full contact sport, I think, but not to be confused with destruction derby.

But GT5 AI is confusing it with destruction derby :(

And yes the AI cars have different physics than the players car - it is nearly impossible to spin an AI car ...

What the hell?

NASCAR is somewhat different than other racing disciplines.. Templates mandate alot of the aero specs and engine size is also regulated. For tracks like Daytona which require the use of restrictor plates, horsepower is even further diminished, making it even harder to break away which results in the large pack of cars grouped closely together. Factors such as how well the car handles and gets through the corners without scrubbing off speed is extremely important when it comes to having a competitive car in the real version of the series. On GT5, it appears that the importance was placed more on drafting. While it is also very important in the real series, It doesnt matter how well your car works in the draft, if it doesnt turn in the corners then your gonna always be in catchup mode. The key to drafting in the games version is to stay tucked in behind the car your following. The second car in line will travel faster then the car in front because its not breaking through the air and in turn, not having to use the horsepower that the first car is generating. Thats why when your out front, the cars can catch up to you faster. The best advise I can give you is to stay tucked in and to push the car in front of you while on the straights. You can run way faster this way. Once your on the last lap, make a move to the inside and take the lead. Watch for the cars behind you. When they start to get a run on you. Move into the line their in before they can overtake you. The result is that the momentum will be blocked and in most occasions they end up bump drafting you which results in you going faster and keeping the lead.

Has anyone had trouble with the Nascar special events? There's something very wrong with them... I could barely get into 11th place on the 3rd event. Then I turned off ABS and I magically came first by around 10 car lengths, but I never used the brakes on either attempts. Does ABS automatically brake for you in all cars, even if you don't use them?

The worst about the NASCAR-feature is, that there seemed to be a driving aid (even when everything is turned off) that keeps the car in line.

Try to steer hard from side to side on straights and you notice, that something holds the car back from spinning and oversteering. There is something really wrong.

Hi Big Ron.

Check to see if your ABS is on.
With it on the ASM is also on.
Turn off ABS and the ASM is disabled.

Has anyone had trouble with the Nascar special events? There's something very wrong with them... I could barely get into 11th place on the 3rd event. Then I turned off ABS and I magically came first by around 10 car lengths, but I never used the brakes on either attempts. Does ABS automatically brake for you in all cars, even if you don't use them?

Turning off ABS disables ASM apparantly. Dont know why.

How the hell are we supposed to win Nascar B-Spec???

Hi Big Ron.

Check to see if your ABS is on.
With it on the ASM is also on.
Turn off ABS and the ASM is disabled.

Oh, thanks. But I always do when driving a Nascar car. Don´t know why, but on road courses NASCAR cars feel much more sensitive than on ovals. Never get to happen that a car get oversteering when coming out of turns in Daytona.

I'm loving the heck out of online groups of 12-16 players doing solid NASCAR driving with Heavy Damage turned on and 30-60 laps*

*as long as they're clean racing or else I'll jump out to moderate those jerks out of the room

Back