• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 1,503 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
The National Basketball Association's 2012-2013 season is the main emphasis of this thread. This post concerns all action ranging from preseason games to the NBA Finals. All 30 teams are competing for the chance to play for a championship. The Western Conference and Eastern Conference each have 15 teams. Of the 30 teams, only sixteen are worthy enough to play for a championship. Then of those sixteen, 16 becomes 8 (1st Round), 8 becomes 4 (conference semifinals), 4 becomes 2 (conference finals), and eventually... the two survivors will play for the NBA Championship. Who will win it all this year? What player(s) will emerge as the best? What rookies will captivate and impress in their first season? Who will put in the time, the hustle, and the drive to be difference makers? What teams will surprise and shock the others and maybe make a title run? These questions, and others, will be answered this season.

Welcome to the NBA. And also, welcome to the new season. And... welcome to this season's thread. Have at it. And good luck to all of your team(s) this season.

There is some preseason action going on right now. In Istanbul, Turkey; it's the Boston Celtics playing against Fenerbahce Ulker. Right now... it is 14-8, Fenerbahce Ulker with 6:26 left in the first quarter.

The Clippers have the best bench in the NBA.

2012/13 Pacific Champs.

Beyond that, I doubt the Clips remotely stand a chance with the Lakers or OKC.

As for me, I'm just waiting on Rose's return. I know Chicago is capable of winning, but deep into the playoffs? That might probably have to wait.

If the Lakers click, Clippers won't stand a chance. But Lakers are known for imploding.

Dwight Howard was a gamble, but one that Lakers had to take. Without the Lakers coming(and playing) together, no one in the league comes close to Miami Heat.

Ray Allen joining the Heat ended any remote chance NBA clubs outside the new Lakers had of meaningful competition for the season. No, regular season success doesn't mean jack, unless you are Clippers. :P

IMO, only two things stand in Miami's way: Health & Dwight Howard. Rest are just noise.

Clippers > Lakers. You realize the Lakers are part of the Pacific, right?

Yes.

I also realize that they have a very motivated Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard.

You never count out Kobe and now you pair him with up the most recent Defensive Player of the Year, besides Chandler.

That, and Steve Nash is going to orchestrate this offense, meaning Kobe can focus on being a pure scorer now. Of course this all just talk until the actual play begins, but til then, Clippers are still the outsiders.

Well, to be fair, Kobe's like Kobe's uncle at this point. He can still shoot, but is not as explosive these days. :lol:

Well, to be fair, Kobe's like Kobe's uncle at this point. He can still shoot, but is not as explosive these days. :lol:

Oh I know that.:)

But the raw basketball intelligence he has and his desire to win far surpasses any of those in the NBA.

What he lacks in explosiveness, he will make up in skill.

He's one of the few players I want Rose to take cues from too. He can watch Jordan all he wants on Youtube, but Rose has the benefit of actually playing with and playing against the Mamba.

Lakers top 5 is about as good as it was last year. Howard is hurt, Nash, Kobe, and Pau are getting old - they aren't the same as they used to be.

Their bench is still a joke.

Just looking at starting fives: Jordan, Griffin, Paul, Billups, Butler... The Lakers look better on paper, but that's not where the entire game is played. As soon as those stars start sitting down (which they will have to do - Kobe can't play 39 minutes anymore. Pau? No way. Nash? Maybe.) I think the youth and unity of the Clippers can overcome the Lakers. The Clippers have one of the deepest benches I've ever seen.

CP3 is a better PG at this stage of the game than Nash. DJ and Blake will have a tough time with Howard if he comes at 100%.

I think I'm done with the NBA for now. Being a fan of Miami is no fun, we're one of three teams in the NBA that are worthy of the O'Brian. The NBA is so lopsided it's not funny.

Benches help you accumulate regular season wins, but they are overrated. Because decent bench help is dime a dozen in the NBA, and the bench very rarely win you any games that count(again, no regular season games).

Having said that, Lakers bench last year was absolutely below average at best. It's amazing how a team of that caliber accumulate that kind of underwhelming bench help.

Nash is clearly over the hill, but he still possesses two critical skills that could skyrocket the Lakers offense: Jump shooting & play-making.

Nash & Paul are type of players that would make any team successful. If Nash can do in L.A. what he did in Phoenix, I don't have to tell you, there would be only one team that could seriously threaten the Lakers in the West, and no, Clippers are not it.

I do concur that Lakers need to improve their bench. They need at least another shooter, as Blake's career took severe downturn like years ago.

As for the Clippers *glances over Clippers roster* looks like they added G Hill + Lamar Odom? It's debatable how much of a help those two would be to the Clippers at this point in their careers. I counted out Hill once before, so I won't do that again, but he is older. Even older than he was in Phoenix. And Odom, he was nuttier than Artest last season, and that's scary & unpredictable. I predict similar results as the 2011~12 for the Clippers. Lot of regular season success, then outgunned in the post season. There is an outside chance Griffin might become a scoring machine, or Clippers obtain another capable scorer, but at this point in time, I don't see it.

Did they get a new coach yet? Goes for both teams. :crazy:
I think I'm done with the NBA for now. Being a fan of Miami is no fun, we're one of three teams in the NBA that are worthy of the O'Brian. The NBA is so lopsided it's not funny.
Couldn't agree with you more. I mean, what is the bleeping point? If I was the commissioner, I'd shut down the league until Ray Allen retire, then restart, as other teams then might have a chance. Not really.

Other than the Thunder and maybe Lakers, name me one other team that has a chance?

Thunder has a chance, but that doesn't mean they could actually beat the Heat. In a seven game series, we saw the Heat finally play to their potential. Now that they added Ray Allen, if you actually know how the game is played, and if you know the playing style, skills & how high Allen's basketball I.Q. is, you know that Thunder do have a chance of beating the Heat in the Finals, and that percentage is less than 1%. OK, the number is for the effect.

Lakers remains to be seen, but I honestly believe that Lakers is the only team in the NBA to have the potential to compete with the Heat. Barring any serious injury problems with the Heat. That would be horrible.

Clippers beat Miami before Billups got hurt last season. :sly:

I want to see how far this team goes with everyone healthy.

Clippers beat Miami before Billups got hurt last season. :sly:

I want to see how far this team goes with everyone healthy.

Health is a potential issue with all three teams in our little discussion.

Except Thunder. :P They do have the health going for them. Karma? They seem to be the nicest kids of all, minus the ownership. :D

Yeah the Thunder are amazing. I would agree that they had the nicest kids all of if Russell didn't have to slap his chest after every highlight dunk he gets in the 3rd quarter of a 20-point blowout.

The NBA Europe Live 2012 tour continues. The Boston Celtics game in Istanbul I talked about ended up being a 12-point loss for the Celtics. You know it sucks when you lose to a team whose name you can't even pronounce properly. As of now, Boston is taking on EA7 Emporio Amani Milano in the beautiful city of Milan, Italy. Boston is up 27-17 with 4:00 left in the First Quarter.

Last edited:
I can't wait to quote this all season.
Yeah, regular season chumps & playoffs chumps are not same things. Blazers & Clippers are not total losers, but definitely post season chumps.

If it counts, they will lose!

I hate to say this, but hell- I'm sold on the Clippers. They're much better now than what they've shown in the past. Lakers vs. Clippers is about as much a battle as the football version of USCal vs. UCLA. You can extend the analogy by saying the Lakers are like USCal football while the Clippers is more like UCLA football.

Anyhow, the Clippers are MUCH better now than in the past. The Los Angeles NBA monopoly is with the Lakers. However, the Clippers are no longer a doormat- at least among Western Conference teams. I look for the Clippers to continue their hot play. My only concern for them is- how will they fare against teams like... I don't know- San Antonio and Oklahoma City in the West; and then against Eastern teams like Chicago, Boston, Miami, and even scrappy teams like Philadelphia and Indiana? I'm looking for the 2012-2013 Clippers to make it to at least 40 wins and make it into this season's playoffs.

I found out my Rockets will begin their 2012-2013 season at Detroit. The one thing I want from my Rockets is to play better and win more games. I still think we are going to be bringing up the rear among the NBA's Texas Triangle. What I DON'T want to see is the Rockets be good enough in the Southwest Division, but not good enough to be a playoff team. I just don't know what to make of my team to really make my own thoughts on the Rockets. Just like watching my Texans- it's wait and see for me.

A solid start to the Raptors pre-season with a win over Real Madrid, Terrence Ross did what I expected of him which was a good sign. Disappointed not to be able to see Valanciunas or Lowry with the team yet though-both are injured.

My dude Jimmy Butler needs to hit the gym more and practice those shots.

It could've been a case of those shots just not going in, but he'll be better if he does not get discouraged from the stats and is encouraged to spend more time at the gym practicing.

I'm sure Coach Thibs and Captain Kirk :cool: is on top of that though.

My Houston Rockets will begin their preseason action tonight. All I can hope for is the Rockets to play better than they have previously and return to being contenders rather than middle-of-the-road. I see my Rockets as a 6th to 8th seed at best. We'll probably be looking up at teams like (in no particular order)- the Spurs, Thunder, Clippers, Lakers, maybe the Grizzlies, and maybe even the Suns. I don't really know what we have here in Houston to ponder if they will even be a threat in the NBA this season. According to the Hangtime blog on NBA.com, we're seen as a team that could possibly make the playoffs this season along with the Cavaliers, Hornets, and (maybe) the Raptors.

Well... we'll see what happens and if the Rockets can make some noise this season.

[UPDATE] We begin our Preseason action by hosting Oklahoma City. Preseason or not- Oklahoma City is NOT the team you want to screw with (unless you're Miami :)). So, yeah.

Last edited:
We play Detroit in 5mins, pretty excited to see new Pistons rookie Drummond together with Monroe, and the potential Valanciunas may be playing this game.:dopey:

Preseason games don't matter anything towards the regular season. In Hidalgo, TX (home of the Rockets' NBA Developmental League affiliate- the Rio Grande Valley Vipers), we won over the Thunder as it was a 107-105 victory. I listened to the game since their new TV home- Comcast SportsNet Houston- wasn't showing the game on Dish. Most of what I heard had Jeremy Lin be solid on defense and offense. The radio crew noted how Lin was just a bit nervous in his play.

I'm not going to get to see any Rockets games until CSN Houston is eventually carried on Dish. So I'll have to go on radio coverage. Our next game is back at Toyota Center as we host the New Orleans Hornets on Friday night. The massive scoreboard will not debut at Toyota Center until our regular season home opener on November 3 against the Portland Trail Blazers.

Well, my Rockets won. How did your team(s) do?

If the Lakers click, Clippers won't stand a chance. But Lakers are known for imploding.

Dwight Howard was a gamble, but one that Lakers had to take. Without the Lakers coming(and playing) together, no one in the league comes close to Miami Heat.

Ray Allen joining the Heat ended any remote chance NBA clubs outside the new Lakers had of meaningful competition for the season. No, regular season success doesn't mean jack, unless you are Clippers. :P

IMO, only two things stand in Miami's way: Health & Dwight Howard. Rest are just noise.
Oklahoma has a better chance of defeating the Heat than LA does by far. The Lakers starting 5 is a superstar lineup, but even I can't rule out the lethal weapon that is Kevin Durant; the guy just walks up to the 3-point line, shoots, makes it. Play defense, & repeat.

If Russell & Ibaka are on their game, the Thunder becomes a very tough team. If I remember correctly, they were close to being undefeated at their home.

I'll give it a fair thought though that the Lakers' chemistry remains to be see, but as mentioned earlier, Howard's still injured, so it's going to take a few games for Kobe & Nash to develop chemistry & then another few games when Howard returns.
Thunder has a chance, but that doesn't mean they could actually beat the Heat. In a seven game series, we saw the Heat finally play to their potential. Now that they added Ray Allen, if you actually know how the game is played, and if you know the playing style, skills & how high Allen's basketball I.Q. is, you know that Thunder do have a chance of beating the Heat in the Finals, and that percentage is less than 1%. OK, the number is for the effect.
Let's be honest. What we saw was LeBron at his best with a little help from Bosh & Wade, & 1 player who was on a 3-point shooting streak.

I think if that Chalmers, Miller, or Battier had not had the games they did, the outcome of the Finals could have easily swayed in the Thunder's favor. That does go for On-Off Westbrook though, to be fair.

Back