NBA: 2012-2013 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 1,503 comments
Oklahoma has a better chance of defeating the Heat than LA does by far. The Lakers starting 5 is a superstar lineup, but even I can't rule out the lethal weapon that is Kevin Durant; the guy just walks up to the 3-point line, shoots, makes it. Play defense, & repeat.

If Russell & Ibaka are on their game, the Thunder becomes a very tough team. If I remember correctly, they were close to being undefeated at their home.

I'll give it a fair thought though that the Lakers' chemistry remains to be see, but as mentioned earlier, Howard's still injured, so it's going to take a few games for Kobe & Nash to develop chemistry & then another few games when Howard returns.
I think you may be underestimating match-ups in the NBA(or basketball in general). Match-ups are why NBA are unwatchable at times. After few games in, most of the time(granted, not always), you start to see which team has whose number. Sure, regular season might show this & that, which is routine in the NBA. Comes Playoffs, and you can pretty much tell who & when start the crumbling. I couldn't even come close to your perspective that the OKC has far better chance than the Lakers. What I saw was OKC getting beat bad in the Finals.

If Durant is a lethal weapon, LeBron James is nuclear. I will admit that I didn't take into account that last year's young OKC team is year older this season. But Durant's ability to make a three proves absolutely nothing for me. Making 3 is one of the many offensive qualities. LeBron can break double & triple team at times. You mix finding the open man into that, that's when teams start becoming unbeatable. I need to see more of that from Durant for me to buy into the hype.

As far as the Lakers chemistry, I'm not even worried about the first half of the season. It's all about April-on. It's a gamble. It's mad science. Lakers could be epic triumpgh, epic failure, but most likely just another strong team with lots of holes. It remains to be seen. I hope for the best, but at least for now, I'm just praying on the prospect. I rather have two teams with realistic chance of winning the Finals than one. Unless something drastic happens, I see OKC chance of beating Miami at pretty much ZERO.
Let's be honest. What we saw was LeBron at his best with a little help from Bosh & Wade, & 1 player who was on a 3-point shooting streak.

I think if that Chalmers, Miller, or Battier had not had the games they did, the outcome of the Finals could have easily swayed in the Thunder's favor. That does go for On-Off Westbrook though, to be fair.
I will be honest with you, we saw last year's Finals in very different light. What I observed was LeBron finally doing what was expected of him for last maybe three, four seasons: Take over.

In order to take over, you have to be active. LeBron of old was to turn passive, then delegate somewhat, or disappear completely. For me, he finally seemed to have risen to the occasion, because he's always been that talented. Unbelievably gifted & talented.

Sure, if he didn't have help from outside, they would have struggled. But really, square-up jump shooting is so typical at this level(Finals), I really didn't see the significance. Exactly why I'm so frustrated by their addition of Ray Allen. If you thought those slowass shooters stepped it up last year, you better hope Allen's ankle bother him to a point he'll be as slow in this year's Finals. ;)

Our #1 soft spot is being overrun when one of the big 3 is on the bench, moreso Wade/LBJ. I mean I hate LeBron but we NEED him against most teams with strong fowards. And Wade is crucial against teams like the Lakers.

Back to Toyota Center tonight as my Rockets will host the New Orleans Hornets. It is Preseason game 2 of 7 for the Rockets. The slogan for the Rockets this season is "A New Age." I really hope this season really becomes a start for the Rockets in evolving and growing to being one of the better teams in the NBA. I think both the Rockets and the Hornets (who play in the same division) will be possible playoff contenders.

Again- the massive scoreboard won't be installed at Toyota Center until November 3rd.

It's just the Preseason. However, the Rockets won 95-75. Maybe the Rockets sprayed themselves with Off! because the Hornets couldn't hang with us in this preseason game. Of course, none of this will matter as long as we can do this to New Orleans in the regular season.

Well if you find success with the guy then kudos to the Rockets' organization. Just have patience with him is my advice. Cause Asik is as capable offensively as the 2006 Phoenix Suns defense was. His hands are stone and butter somehow.

He was great in the low post though, helping the interior defense out with his massive frame.

Last edited:
Asik is an awesome center down low to have defensively. When the ball is in his hands though for a score, then I have to cringe from time to time. I'll miss his presence the for lock down defense he anchored with Taj, but I definitely won't miss his clumsiness when it came to the basic lay up.

I've heard Brandon Roy is on a nice comeback trail thus far, playing well for the Wolves. If he is almost back to his former self, the Timberwolves will be even far deadlier than I'd imagined, or at least you'd think they'd be.
Pretty happy to see Valanciunas with 11pts and 8 rebounds in 29mins of work against Detroit yesterday. This NBA season has me excited, here's to hoping for an injury free season for all teams.

It's just the Preseason. However, the Rockets won 95-75. Maybe the Rockets sprayed themselves with Off! because the Hornets couldn't hang with us in this preseason game. Of course, none of this will matter as long as we can do this to New Orleans in the regular season.

Eh first pre-season loss for the hornets, I just wish we signed a proper point guard. I don't mind the idea of having Vasquez as our starter and I'm not exactly fond of Rivers having to play at the point. Rivers can ball for sure, but I think he'd fit better at the 2 spot for sure.

Why did we trade away Jarett Jack? :ouch:

We lost to the Spurs on Sunday afternoon 116-107. Tonight is the Rockets at the Mavericks. The game is in progress as of this post. Here is our Preseason schedule:

--- ROCKETS' 2012 PRESEASON ---
* 10/10: Oklahoma City (Hidalgo, TX) (won 107-105)
* 10/12: New Orleans (won 95-75)
* 10/14: San Antonio (lost 116-107)
* 10/15: at Dallas
* 10/17: Memphis
* 10/24: at New Orleans
* 10/26: at Orlando

Again- these games are basically batting practice for all 30 teams. Nothing matters until the NBA Tip-Off on October 30. As I mentioned, we open up at Detroit on Halloween night.

Just read Lowry is likely to make his Toronto debut in the pre-season game against the Wizards this Wednesday (Thurs here in Oz) after he strained his adductor muscle in training. Looking forward to this.:D

Eh first pre-season loss for the hornets, I just wish we signed a proper point guard. I don't mind the idea of having Vasquez as our starter and I'm not exactly fond of Rivers having to play at the point. Rivers can ball for sure, but I think he'd fit better at the 2 spot for sure.

Why did we trade away Jarett Jack? :ouch:

Errgh, 2K13 still has Jack on the Hornets, now I know why people are moaning about the game's rosters, I've seen numerous mistakes myself now. Nothing an update can't fix.

Paulie
Errgh, 2K13 still has Jack on the Hornets, now I know why people are moaning about the game's rosters, I've seen numerous mistakes myself now. Nothing an update can't fix.

Yeah and they need to fix up the announcing as well as they only pronounce my guy by his nickname even though his name is from the selected list to pronounce.

Yeah and they need to fix up the announcing as well as they only pronounce my guy by his nickname even though his name is from the selected list to pronounce.

Likewise for everyone, occasionally they say my name but they should make it like 2K12 where they always said my name, The Machine is a TERRIBLE nickname.

Paulie
Likewise for everyone, occasionally they say my name but they should make it like 2K12 where they always said my name, The Machine is a TERRIBLE nickname.

Likewise with Thunder haha

Sleep Train Arena. That will be the official name of the Sacramento Kings' arena as part of a multi-year deal. The name will be official as of this November. I would not be surprised if anyone here on GTPlanet if someone comes up with a joke involving the Sacramento Kings and calling your arena as "Sleep Train Arena." But for the Kings, it's a good deal for them to get some extra stability.

As of now, my Rockets are playing at home to the Memphis Grizzlies. It is our final Preseason home game of the 2012 Preseason.

Kings, Jaguars, Flames. All these small-town sports teams need to stabilize *Especially cuz I am Flames fan...*

Our #1 soft spot is being overrun when one of the big 3 is on the bench, moreso Wade/LBJ. I mean I hate LeBron but we NEED him against most teams with strong fowards. And Wade is crucial against teams like the Lakers.

You are a Miami fan who hates LeBron James. Oooooooooookay....

You realize he's the best player in the NBA, right?

^^ He's a Chris Bosh bandwagon fan :P

On a serious note who is starting for the Heat at the 4 and 5 positions, is it Battier and Bosh or will they use a lineup like Lewis/Bosh?

Bosh at 4 and that sucky Center we've had for a while at 5 I think.

Also yes, I like Bosh WAY more than LeBron. LeBron is an ass.

Bosh at 4 and that sucky Center we've had for a while at 5 I think.

Also yes, I like Bosh WAY more than LeBron. LeBron is an ass.

:crazy: You seriously thinking that Bosh is better than James? You shouldn't be allowed to talk about the NBA anymore.

Reported for threadban.

Villain, do you think the L.A. Clippers can make the NBA Finals this season (or perhaps even win it), or do you think they need a little more to be a Finals contender?

Villain, do you think the L.A. Clippers can make the NBA Finals this season (or perhaps even win it), or do you think they need a little more to be a Finals contender?

Well it's hard to say. They finished 5th in the West last year with Chauncey injured and a rushed season with no off-season due to the lockout. Now the starting five has had a full season and offseason together and I know that Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan have been working on their jump shots and free throws all summer.

Basically, they are going to come into this season looking more experienced and cohesive as a unit than they were last season so it's fair to think that they can improve in how they finish out the year. If they finish in the top 3 of the West, that favorable playoff seeding might be able to get them rolling on a deep playoff run.

This NBA has being a Point Guards league. I still believe Chris Paul is the best Point Guard in the NBA, and we have Eric Bledsoe as a young, effective up-and-comer behind him. Mr. Big Shot will still be Mr. Big Shot - finals MVP with the Pistons. This team might sneak up on some others.

The players, talent, and leadership is there. It's up to them to execute and hopefully the woeful floor management by Vinny Del Negro doesn't cost us huge chances.

So to answer your question: I don't know. I think they are good enough to achieve strong playoff seeding, and then from there anything can happen.

:crazy: You seriously thinking that Bosh is better than James? You shouldn't be allowed to talk about the NBA anymore.

Reported for threadban.

I never said Bosh was better smartass, I said I LIKED Bosh better. Two different things.

I never said Bosh was better smartass, I said I LIKED Bosh better. Two different things.

Only two people in this world like Chris Bosh more than LeBron James.

You and Chris Bosh's mother.

Only two people in this world like Chris Bosh more than LeBron James.

You and Chris Bosh's mother.

And half the people I know who aren't Heat fans. Hey did you know Wade is our favorite player in Dade County? Ya a shocker I know.

Back