• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 179 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Welcome to the 2017-2018 season thread of the National Basketball Association (NBA)! With tonight being the night of the NBA Draft, I decided not to go with a fully detailed introduction, as I normally would like to do. All we know is that the NBA is ready to start yet another season of madness. Everything from hot shooting, showtime dunks, blocks, fouls, and more are all waiting for a new season of NBA action. This is the thread for action ranging from the NBA Draft to whatever team hoists the O'Brien Trophy and are declared NBA (not "World") Champions.

Welcome to the new season! Let's play some roundball!

With Jimmy Butler essentially being traded for a ham sandwich...I'm looking for a new team to adopt.

As long as those monkeys named Gar Forman and John Paxon run the Bulls, and that geezer Reinsdorf owns it, I have no faith in the Bulls.

Word has it that Chris Paul is coming to the Houston Rockets. CP3 reportedly is coming to the Houston Rockets; and that means (I think these are the traded players) Patrick Beverley, Decker, and a 2018 draft pick will get traded to the Los Angeles Clippers. So, uh... welcome to H-Town, CP3!

As we say hello, we must also say goodbye... to the Knicks parting ways with Phil Jackson. Wonder who the Knicks will get to try to head New York City's famed NBA basketball team.

Man, this offseason has been chaos already. Can't imagine what'll end up happening once free agency starts.

Wow. Paul George headed to OKC for basically nothing. The league has really gone mad with everyone desperately trying to form superteams.

Wow. Paul George headed to OKC for basically nothing. The league has really gone mad with everyone desperately trying to form superteams.

This is what the NBA has bred since at least the 80's with the Celts and the Lakers. It's nothing new.

But it creates a market where there's only a few teams which can realistically compete every year. And now it's dwindled to two teams you know will be in the CF's every year. In the East it's the Cavs and the Celts, the West it's the Warriors and Spurs/Rockets. Then the minnows are down below, teams like the Raptors, Clippers, Bucks, and I think the Jazz can probably fit into this category if the year they had wasn't a fluke,

I think the Jazz can probably fit into this category if the year they had wasn't a fluke,

We are losing Hayward which is going to be a blow and I don't know if the addition of Rubio is really going to be an adequate replacement in terms of talent. I guess we will have to see what FA brings, although I worry that SLC isn't really a place that had much desire for an athlete.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Silver Arrows, post: 11869489, member: 284861"I think the Jazz can probably fit into this category if the year they had wasn't a fluke,

We are losing Hayward which is going to be a blow and I don't know if the addition of Rubio is really going to be an adequate replacement in terms of talent. I guess we will have to see what FA brings, although I worry that SLC isn't really a place that had much desire for an athlete.[/QUOTE]

If you build it, they will come. People said that people would never go to Toronto because of the cold and more importantly, the taxes didn't shake out in the athlete's favor. Well, the Raps of today certainly buck that trend.

Well, it's a one year rental that seems to have been done by OKC to dump Oladipo's massive contract (he's going from $6m this season to $21m/year for the next 4 years!). There's speculation with George still intent on going to LA, that he may convince Westbrook to join him which... may be possible?

Westbrook is a LA-bred player with deep love for the city, and my understanding is that after this season, Westbrook has a Player Option he can deny.

I'm loving our rookie. He's basically like Chris Bosh except he's not a pushover in the paint and can actually rebound. Physically, he looks like a carbon copy of Alonso Mourning, except he also has a face-up game.

Did you guys even hear Westbrook's MVP speech? That guy is not leaving OKC. He runs that town.

93dcdaadc87a63eb2fe994097929058d_crop_north.jpg

I think the Miami Heat will be improved this coming season compared to last season. So if I were a Heat fan, I'd be pretty optimistic about the Heat this season. Whether or not the Heat make it into the postseason and how far they can go remains to be seen. But, I'd be pretty positive about their chances this season, Omnis.

Starting to think with how weak the East got, Philly just might make the playoffs in Simmons/Fultz's rookie seasons. Health pending of course.

Playoffs are going to be Cavs, Heat, Celtics, Philly, Toronto, Bucks, Wizards, Charlotte

Okaro White also looks really good. Then again, SL defenses have been garbage. I feel like there's only a few teams where the level of coaching runs super deep. Like, Miami's practice squad is good enough to replace the bench if they needed to.

Chris Paul III was humbly welcomed to Houston this week. A Harden-CP3 combination is already pretty good; Harden-CP3-Carmelo is what many people are hoping will happen for Houston. I don't think a Harden-CP3-Melo combination will make us the LeBron-led Miami Heat of old, but it would help Houston's hopes of being more of a contender than what they could be. James Harden just has to make sure not to be a no-show like in that 39-point demolition we took hosting a banged up San Antonio team in the latest NBA Playoffs.

So how about your team(s) heading into the new season?

So what's the go, you think Kyrie gets traded? The Suns look like they'd be a good trade partner with Bledsoe and Jackson.

Word has it that for the first time ever, teams from Australia's NBL (National Basketball League) will play here in the United States. A few Preseason games will feature NBL teams playing against NBA teams. This would probably make the likes of our Paulie, Spacegoat, Stavingo, and others proud seeing Aussie teams play against NBA teams, which have a handful of Australian basketball players.

I looked around on Twitter and saw a graphic showing the schedule for NBL teams playing at the NBA's teams. Here are the matches:
* OCT 3: Sydney Kings at Utah Jazz
* OCT 9: Melbourne United at Oklahoma City Thunder
* OCT 14: Brisbane Bullets at Phoenix Suns

So NBA fans, NBL fans... get psyched! Australia is a very good country for basketball. You normally may think of the Philippines and China for Asia-Pacific basketball powers. Well, Australia is strong at basketball also. So this isn't going to be some tomato cans to NBA teams. It should be fun for our Aussie mates to take on NBA teams.

Oh, and in case you're interested, I made a GTPlanet topic long ago about the NBL. You can contribute to that thread here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/national-basketball-league-australia.348062/

Brisbane Bullets are my home team, it's going to be great to see them take on NBA talent. I can't see them winning against a NBA team that's really trying, but in the pre-season against bench players and 3rd stringers where the starters only played 10-20mins, I think it's quite possible.

I don't even go for Sydney Kings but I'm pretty keen to see them play against the Jazz.

Also putting it down now: My Pellies (hopefully) see the postseason this year.

Welp, it happened.
Kyrie Irving has been traded to Boston for Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder Ante Zizic and a 2018 1st.
The ECF is gonna be fun.

I did not see Kyrie going to the Celtics. That's a surprise. :crazy:

And guess this finally puts an end to the rumours of Boston going after Anthony Davis. They've got little to offer NOLA now.

Big trade if it goes through, there are some reports coming through saying the trade could be void due to IT's hip failing physical.

What do you get for tampering? A light bank account. Just ask the Los Angeles Lakers, who are now $500K light for tampering. You could buy a GT3 race car with that money! This is a huge fine for their tampering involvement.

Back