NBA: 2017-2018 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 179 comments
You know your team stinks when someone renames your hometown team as something else. Case in point- Toronto becoming "LeBronto." That was the case when LeBron went beast on Toronto in Toronto in the CLE/TOR series.

NBA Playoffs still ongoing, in the Quarterfinal stage. Hope your favorite team(s) is/are still in it.
Cavs fan here, very happy :D Pacers was a tough, physical series, glad we were able to sweep the Raptors, everyone gets a full week's rest! Now we move into the ECF!

It looks like my Houston Rockets will be one step closer to playing for the O'Brien Trophy, after taking down the Utah Jazz winning the series 4-1. I still say Golden State is the team to beat. So until the Houston Rockets can knock the Warriors off of the top of the mountain (or at least the Western Conference mountain), the Rockets still haven't done too much to solidify themselves as solid contenders. I am NOT confident in my Rockets for if they will meet the Warriors.

As of the time of this post, the Golden State Warriors lead the New Orleans Pelicans 103-82 with 8:30 left in the 4th Quarter in Oakland. GS leads the series 3-1.

What does a baller season come to when you've been knocked out of the postseason? Firing. Getting the pink slip was Raptors' coach Dwane Casey. "We the North" became "We looking for a new head coach." So I guess they didn't want to give this guy a second chance after blowing it. I guess being ranked Coach of the Year didn't help much either. It just seems like despite a great season, they fired Casey as if the Raps were like "NBA Championship or Bust." Good luck to D. Casey in finding a new gig.

All the best to Nick Collison in his retirement. He hung it up after 15 years in the NBA.

If you want to win the O'Brien Trophy and be declared NBA Champions (not "World" Champions), you must win 16 postseason games. Four teams completed half of that task, and so the next round features these two series from these four remaining survivors:

* EASTERN CONFERENCE FINAL: #2 Boston vs. #4 Cleveland
* WESTERN CONFERENCE FINAL: #1 Houston vs. #2 Golden State

The ECF begins on Sunday afternoon, and the WCF begins on Monday night.

Good luck to all remaining teams.

look, I like Casey. There's no denying that with the duo of power that was between him and Masai, that they took the team to heights far greater then even the Vince Carter era could take them, and with how good the Raps have been, have changed Canadian basketball, both on an NBA level, and at a national level, for the better.

But these past few seasons have been embarrassing. I've seen Raps fans bitch and moan about how they aren't taken seriously by national (read: American) media. This exit is why. This team isn't good enough to beat Lebron. Few teams are, but we wouldn't be having this level of soul searching if the Raps did the same thing they did in 2016 where they took at minimum, two games off the Cavs. The team on paper, and in execution in this series, looked better then the Cavs. Yet they still got torched. For ****'s sake, Indiana held the Cavs to the brink in a seven game series, and the Raps couldn't even take *ONE* game. Sure, they absolutely should have won Game 1. But the minute they choked away the game, the series was done, and the Raps' goose was cooked.

Frankly, Masai should be looking at every single option present. Because this is pretty much the event horizon moment for the franchise. This sets your tone for the next five years minimum. You will be judged on how you fare against Lebron. With how Indiana managed to isolate Lebron, where he was carrying 99% of the load and everyone else was doing squat, it makes the Raps failure to win even more embarrassing.

Really, as a sense of schadenfreude, I hope that this season especially manages to make Raps fans shut up about 'being respected' by American media, how they feel they are slighted. There's a reason why, and it's for **** like this. Why should I put you in the same level in the pantheon of Boston, Philly, Cleveland, and all the monsters out west, when you can't even make a dent in the Cavs?

Did you know the NBA season is still going on? Anyhow- the NBA Finals will be determined with a pair of Game 7's. The Eastern Conference Finals will be determined when the Cleveland Cavaliers play at the Boston Celtics. The Western Conference Finals will be determined when the Golden State Warriors play at the Houston Rockets. Game 7- win and advance, or lose and better luck 2018-2019 season. Which two teams will play for the O'Brien Trophy starting this Thursday or so? We shall see!

Looks like half of the NBA Finals for the 2017-2018 season is set. After putting an early hurt on Cleveland, Boston failed to suppress LeBron James and his Cleveland Cavaliers. So the Boston Celtics suffered their first home loss in the postseason... which also happens to be their final game of the season. Cleveland will get the winner of the Western Conference Finals later today (now that it is Monday Central Daylight Time).

What will be the NBA Finals? Will it be the Cavaliers vs. the Warriors, or the Cavaliers vs. the Rockets? The deciding Game 7 is here in Houston. Winner plays for the title; loser has to settle for another season to have another chance at making the Finals and becoming Champions.

Congratulations to Boston on a great season. I'd be remiss if I didn't honor the Celtics on how far they've come.

JUST WRAPPED UP...

NBA Finals set- The Cleveland Cavaliers vs. ...the Golden State Warriors. The most wins in franchise history for the Rockets only took them as far as the Western Conference Finals and falling to the Warriors AGAIN. So whomever wins the title, congratulations. Too bad it won't be my Rockets playing for the O'Brien Trophy. The Rockets knew the Warriors were the better team, yet they still played like they had a chance. They won the first half but couldn't put away Golden State at home in the second half. This was basically the de facto NBA Finals to most people. Unfortunately, the Warriors proved why they are still the team to beat. Good luck trying to suppress Golden State, Cleveland. The Warriors won Game 7 and the Western Conference Finals 101-92.

Back to being full Houston Astros fan, I guess...

All congratulations to Golden State. Congratulations to the eventual NBA Champs of this season.

27 missed 3-pointers. Just chucking one after another. Didn't learn anything from the 1st Quarter when they got into the Bonus early just attacking the basket. :dunce:

...and that's why I fear the Houston Rockets are both blessed and cursed relying on the three-pointer. This is a powerful team, but when they go cold, they are easy pickings for any team they face. You know, not every team in the playoffs was Minnesota or Utah. Golden State is just much more talented than my Rockets. If anything, they've shown to be an elite team; but unfortunately, the better elite won. That's why I wish the Rockets wouldn't rely on the three-pointer so much. That's like telling a baseball/softball team not to rely on home runs to win games. When the 3 isn't working, try going more inside. There's no shame going for a lay-up as opposed to trying to drill a 3-pointer.

So now we have our NBA Finals. Tell it, GTPlanet: Golden State Warriors or Cleveland Cavaliers to win the championship this season (optional) and in how many games? We got time to preview and discuss (NBA Finals Start this coming Thursday).

Courtesy of Jim Brockmire:lol:

“How is anyone a fan of the NBA at this point? How’s anybody care? It’s a 9 month season that culminates in an event everyone predicted nine months before.

It’s like a woman getting pregnant and then everyone speculating on the possibility of a phone book coming out.

We know it’s gonna be baby! And in this case the baby is called Warriors-Cavs”

Here were some musings I shared in my Facebook profile recently:

"The Houston Rockets missed the NBA Finals recently by losing Game 7 to the Golden State Warriors at home. These days, I've been thinking that maybe James Harden, as good as he is, may not have the discipline and endurance to become a champion, especially in the postseason. I even heard he wasn't among the ones shaking hands once his Rockets were ousted from the playoffs. That is what I think for as much as I love watching James Harden. It will be interesting to see what off-season changes the Rockets may make."
-me from my Facebook profile

That's right. As much as I like James Harden, I don't think he has the discipline or endurance to really become a champion. No doubt he is AAA-rank talent. However, he needs to do more to be S-rank talent. I don't think he's there yet. Houston will have to wait a bit longer to get their third NBA championship after this latest fail.

As for the NBA Finals, something within me is saying Cleveland in six. However, I think it will probably end up Golden State in five. Any other NBA Finals predictions?

I do not think that is a completely fair assessment of James Harden. Basketball is a game of superstars/all stars. Golden State has four; Houston has two. When Houston had their two, healthy and able to play, they gave Golden State all kinds of trouble and the outcome of the series could have easily been different. I do not think that is a knock against Harden. Instead it is a continuation of the league narrative, that success is driven by superstars and how they can carry a team; role players can and do make a difference, but superstars/all stars are all but necessary for trips to the Finals and ultimately championships.

Thirty teams all competed to be in the NBA Finals, and we are now down to the two best (or two luckiest). The NBA Finals begin tonight as the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Golden State Warriors are only four wins away from hoisting the O'Brien Trophy and being declared NBA Champions. The journey to greatness begins tonight in Oakland, CA, USA- home to the Golden State Warriors (before they move on to their new pad in greater San Francisco). This is the fourth-straight meeting of Golden State and Cleveland for the title. It has never happened that the same two teams have played for the championship for four successive seasons among any of the major American sports (NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL). The Boston Celtics almost prevented Cleveland, and my Houston Rockets almost prevented Golden State. Because we failed, it's GS and CLE again for the title.

Good luck to both Golden State and Cleveland, and may the better team become Champion.

That is J.R. Smith running out the clock last night with the game tied.

The Cavs lost, in overtime.

And I'm laughing my arse off.

The Cleveland Cavaliers have had a long while to take in all of the "did J.R. Smith make a costly championship blunder?" comments. Well, Game 2 of the NBA Finals begins tonight in Oakland, CA. The Cavs will try to even things up with the Golden State Warriors before the series heads to Cleveland.

HEADS UP!

Tonight is Game 3 of the NBA Finals as the GS-CLE series shifts to Cleveland. Can Cleveland Defend the Land? It is currently 35-28, Cleveland with 9:22 left in the 2nd Quarter. GS leads the Finals 2-0.

Well, unless Cleveland have themselves a reverse sweep working, Golden State is just one win away from acquiring yet another NBA Championship. Golden State leads the series 3-0, and Cleveland will have to win out to have any hope of hoisting the O'Brien Trophy.

Game 4 of the NBA Finals is tonight in Cleveland. Good luck to both Golden State and Cleveland.

About that Cleveland Reverse Sweep... uh, yeah. I only saw bits and pieces of the 4th Quarter of Game 4 last night. Basically, it seemed like Cleveland basically conceded. You know, "screw it. We're done." A chance to potentially start a reverse sweep to extend the NBA Finals... ended up with "The Land" getting swept themselves. This Summer will basically be the LeBron James Sweepstakes. Golden State easily cleans up the Cavs in a four-game sweep of the best-of-7 NBA Finals.

So ends another season of basketball for the National Basketball Association. The focus will now be on wondering who will challenge Golden State for the NBA Championship in the 2018-2019 NBA season. All 30 NBA teams have tried their best to reach the playoffs. Sixteen proven to be among the top percentile. When all of the teams whittled themselves down to just two, it was Golden State who prevailed again. Some people seem to be done with the NBA with Golden State winning the title yet again. Almost like those who are done with the NFL because of the New England Patriots with their success. But again- you're not the best until you defeat Golden State. Even my Houston Rockets ultimately failed against a fellow Western Conference foe despite putting up a great fight.

Well... how will you remember the 2017-2018 season? Let's look back on this season of basketball.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/...cted-broken-hand-for-majority-nba-finals.html

1528547482032.jpg

Any predictions on where Lebron will end up next season?

Popular opinons seem to be either Philly or the Lakers. There's a few people on Twitter mooting Boston as a possibility for him. Not quite sure how that would go down, considering Kyrie wanted out of Cleveland because he didn't want to be stuck being LeBron's sidekick. Boston seems very unlikely but it would be hilarious if it went down that way. :lol:

That was an easy match for GSW, they have the best players it will be hard to stop their magnificent run.
Moving on, I wonder where will Lebron James play next?

Oh god, I can't imagine if he ended up on the Lakers. The fanbase would literally implode since people wouldn't be able to handle the Kobe v. LeBron who's the best debate. Although, I'd be funny to hear what LeVar Ball would have to say about it.

Remember Dwane Casey? You know, that guy who coached Toronto to the most wins in franchise history? Well, he got a new gig- coaching the Detroit Pistons. If you know of American sports, Detroit and Toronto are rival cities. Most know of DET-TOR more like NHL Original Six teams like the Red Wings and the Maple Leafs or maybe in baseball with the Detroit Tigers and the Toronto Blue Jays. Still, good for Casey to get a new gig with a different team. Maybe taking this team is a way for Casey to tell Toronto to "shove it" for canning him this past season.

Back