NBA: 2018-2019 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 272 comments
"You live and die by the three." was something I read a lot after last year's Game 7.

Mike D'Antoni is a great offensive coach, but most championship teams are great all-around teams. The Rockets rely so heavily on their offense that when it fails them, it does so badly. I actually think they dug their graves the moment they let go of Trevor Ariza in the off-season.

Seriously, they must focus on their defense a lot more if they are poised to beat them the next time they meet in the postseason. I like James Harden since he has the potential to average 30+points in each game he would play but a lot of people say that he would choke in the playoffs, something which we have seen already many times and that somewhat makes him similar to LBJ.

That's the one thing I feared about relying on the three. Sure, hitting 3-point shots mean you score quicker and better; but at the same time, relying too much on the three just leads to long rebounds and overall funky shots. I always am someone who is about going for two-pointers if the three isn't going very well. Especially in Game 6 of HOU-GS, Steph Curry and company were hitting threes from almost anywhere. I think Houston the past few years have studied Golden State religiously hitting threes and tried to pattern their style to match up against Golden State. I think even the Rockets have to realize- when the three doesn't work, go for two. You know, get high-percentage shots and looks. Like in football, you're not always going to score touchdowns, so there's not much shame in kicking a field goal (unless you need touchdowns to win or tie). You're not always going to hit home runs in baseball. So there's no shame in getting a base hit or even drawing walks.

On the other hand, I do think the Rockets need to clamp down better on defense. Golden State made the Rockets look silly often times with wide-open lanes to the basket. This is like the secondary of a football team getting torched on a long pass play for a touchdown (to use football analogies). Then again, Mike D'Antoni has been known to mostly be offense-heavy.

Even with all of this, it is another case of "what could have been" if the Rockets were able to down Golden State in a series. Maybe the Rockets should have won that game that could have given them the #3 spot in the West or even go up to #2 to dodge Golden State until the Western Conference Finals. But... we ended up 4th in the West and ousted by a familiar foe. Now people are hoping either (the POR-DEN series winner) or (the Eastern Conference Finals winner) defeats Golden State so that we don't have to see Golden State win another title.

Game 7. Will Portland battle Golden State in the Western Conference Finals, or will it be the Denver Nuggets? The answer after today's game is...

...the Portland Trail Blazers.

So the Denver Nuggets are DONE as Rip City will try to rip apart the Golden State Warriors. Or maybe Golden State will be ready to say "R.I.P." to Rip City. The fun between these two begins this Tuesday in Oakland.

Seth vs Steph

Warriors in 5, unfortunately. The loss of Nurkic would prove too much against the Warriors, even without KD should he miss the early part of the series.

On the other hand, will it be the Raps or Sixers? If the latter would win the series, then expect another Barney meme spreading through out the world wide web. :lol:

Yeah, the winner of PHI-TOR gets Milwaukee in the Eastern Conference Finals. It will be interesting to see who be taking on the Bucks in the ECF.

I actually want to see the Raptors advance all the way, Kawhi Leonard's been on a fantastic roll this postseason and it's gonna be interesting to see how far the Raptors can push the Warriors with Kawhi playing the best postseason of his career.

So the Raptors advance in the Conference Finals for the second time after 3 years. Hoping that the series will be also thrilling to watch this time.

"We the North... and we going to the Eastern Conference Finals!" All kinds of drama at the end as the Toronto Raptors made the Philadelphia 76ers DONE. So our NBA Finals representative from the Eastern Conference Final will have a representative from either the United States or from Canada. For Canadian types, they probably wish the Raptors made the Finals, considering basketball was invented by a Canadian. But anyways... all congratulations to the Toronto Raptors for dramatically making it into the ECF.

So here are your Conference Finals:

EASTERN CONFERENCE FINAL: TOR Raptors vs. MIL Bucks
WESTERN CONFERENCE FINAL: GS Warriors vs. POR Trail Blazers

Which two teams will play for the O'Brien Trophy will depend on whomever outlasts the other. Both series should be interesting to watch.

Yes, both of the Conference Finals should be interesting.

In the ECF, we have Marc Gasol and the Raptors facing off his older brother Pau Gasol and the Bucks. Meanwhile, in the WCF, we have Seth Curry and the Blazers facing off his older brother Stephen Curry and the Warriors.

The exception for the Bucks, however, is that Pau Gasol won't actually play any postseason game this year since it was announced earlier that he would miss the remainder of the playoffs due to a bothersome injury on his left ankle.

60089284_890129261326996_7086853814023618560_n.jpg

Last edited:
THESE PLAYOFFS THOUGH

Is that Kawhi shot still bouncing? Absolute madness.

And congrats to Portland, for making it back to the big time, and CJ McCollum, for finally becoming a proper star.

It's going to be more like Steph vs. Dame. Both of these guys go hard against each other. The only thing is Klay usually guards the opposing PG, and Portland may try to do what Houston did a couple times & ISO Curry.

The other factor will be CJ. He once dropped 41 on Golden State a couple years ago, and is on par with Klay this season in stats. Klay is a slightly better shooter though, but he also has a tendency to get streaky for a couple games.

Portland deserves more credit than they're getting. They're doing all this without Jusuf Nurkic!

This Western Conference finals is going to be everyone playing hard all the way, but Portland needs to step up their defense. The Warriors still have their defensive core intact, and they'll be more confident in playing defense since none of Portland's shooters play the landing zone rules like CP3 and Harden did.

Teams that stink have a chance to stink a bit less, because tonight is the NBA Draft and the NBA Draft Lottery. Got to wonder who all will go where with the NBA Draft.

Also, tonight is the start of the Western Conference Finals. What could have been The Los Angeles Clippers failed to subdue Golden State. My Houston Rockets failed to subdue the Warriors. So what can the Portland Trail Blazers do against Golden State? We'll find out starting tonight in Oakland. I'm guessing if you don't like late games on the West Coast, too bad, because these games will be in Oakland, CA and in Portland, OR.

Good luck to Golden State and Portland tonight. I wished it could have been maybe Houston vs. Portland (or maybe Denver), but you can't have everything.

The Warriors took Game 1, obviously. But before the last quarter, the lead wasn't that much big.

Oh, and by the way, I don't know if this already official but congratulations to the New Orleans Pelicans for being lucky to receive the #1 pick of the 2019 NBA Draft, Zion Williamson. :)

Personally though, I am saddened by the fact that my Bulls weren't able to get him. But at least they landed on another #7 pick for the third consecutive time, I suppose.

Pelicans with the #1 pick, plus whatever they are going to get for Anthony Davis. I'm excited but fearful that they'll somehow manage to screw this up. :lol:

They will need help, Brogdon outscored the entire Raptor bench yesterday
Yeah. It seems that they're really a force to be reckoned with, although I've seen Toronto leading in the first half. But Milwaukee was able to catch up and cut the lead in 4th quarter then pull away with a win.

THIS JUST IN...

Kevin Durant is OUT for Games 3 and 4 of the GS-POR series with a calf injury. The Golden State Warriors currently lead the Portland Trail Blazers series 1-0, and the two teams will play Game 2 of this series at the top of the hour in Oakland.

*Sigh* So Portland still lost by 3 points, even if they had a good lead in the first half. I hate how Golden State would just rally back so easily to win the game. :indiff:

Tonight is Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Finals. The Toronto Raptors meet the Milwaukee Bucks in Milwaukee. The Bucks are up 1-0 in this series. AS kind of a lighthearted post, I somewhat have been looking at the 1972 Milwaukee Bucks and their cool (and cute!) logo then. It's about as cool to me as the MLB's Baltimore Orioles' cartoon bird.

I can still see Toronto as the Eastern representative in the NBA Finals, but Milwaukee has had an amazing season. If Milwaukee goes up 2-0 in this series, it may be time to panic for "The North." The Raptors will have to hope they can draw even for when the series goes to Canada and Toronto.

I don’t know if the Raptors have an answer to the Bucks bench, who were 10 points shy of matching the Raptor starters. The series shifts to Toronto and I could see them winning all their home games, but I don’t think it will happen because the Bucks defense keeps playing at a very high level.

6 more wins

If they face Golden State in the Finals this year, will they give them a hard time? I hope they do. We're about to find out soon.

If they face Golden State in the Finals this year, will they give them a hard time? I hope they do. We're about to find out soon.
No KD, they will struggle. They don't have the bigs to defend Giannis. He is just too fluid with his step, so Draymond "I'm the best defensive player" will either get scored on or foul out because Giannis won't need raw power to get through him.

The Bucks also have 2 big men who can space and shoot 3's, so GS will be spread if Lopez & Ilyasova are out there with Giannis hanging on the perimeter. That's a real threat to any team facing MIL because while they are a 34% 3-point shooting team to GS' 37%, they attempt 43% 3-pointer's compared to GS' 36%. One of the strongest issues MIL-opponents have faced is if MIL gets hot from the 3 early on, the defense will pull away from the paint to slow it down. The Greek Freak then has a field day as a 64%-shooter within' the perimeter.

Defensively? Bucks are #1 in the league with the best record in the league. Interestingly enough however, even though MIL has home-court advantage, in the regular season, both teams won on the opposing floor. I believe it was the same last season as well.
Let's put the playoffs talk aside for this moment.

There's this rumor that Kyrie Irving is planning on having an interview with the Lakers this off-season, as he wants to reunite with LeBron James in the next season. I wonder if this will come true. What do you guys think? It seems this guy could not handle the pressures from his competitors alone, after all.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/kyrie-irving-eyeing-lakers-194252990.html
Does LA even have the cap space? They seriously need to find players who will compliment James.

Back