NBA: 2018-2019 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 272 comments
Spare thoughts in loving memory of John Havlicek, who died yesterday. He was 79 years old and was a powerful figure for the Boston Celtics. He was a 13-time All-Star and part of eight classic Boston Celtics teams. The Celtics will honor Havlicek by putting patches on their jerseys. The patches will be either "17" or "Hondo" on the jerseys. Boston still in the Postseason and will meet the Milwaukee Bucks in the Eastern Conference Semifinals. John Havlicek is one of the all-time greats.

Meanwhile tonight, we got the Golden State Warriors at the Los Angeles Clippers for Game 6 of their series. GS leads this series 3-2 despite LAC's win back on Wednesday. And tomorrow, we got San Antonio at Denver for Game 7 of that series. Aren't you loving NBA Playoff basketball?

The Los Angeles Clippers are DONE. The Golden State Warriors ran over the Clip Joint in Los Angeles. So the next round in their bracket will be the Golden State Warriors against the Houston Rockets. I hope my Rockets can FINALLY shut down the Warriors, but as always, I am not confident it will happen.

Now time to see who will advance between San Antonio at Denver on Saturday to round out the West. The winner of the DEN/SA series will meet Portland in the Western Conference Semifinals.

Last night, Denver knocked out San Antonio to advance to the Western Conference Semifinals. The black and silver boys from San Antonio were declared DONE after the Spurs failed to take down the Denver Nuggets. Denver gets Portland in the semifinals.

Time to begin the Conference Semifinals. We saw 16 teams become eight. We are now going to see eight teams become four. Today's matches: BOS at MIL, and then HOU at GS.

Good luck to all remaining playoff teams.

Oh, believe me, Tornado... a lot of us Houston Rockets are none too happy with the officiating. As one of my Facebook friends said, it's (indirect quote) "the Rockets vs. the Warriors and three referees." I basically thought the Rockets simply didn't perform well enough to take down Golden State in Game 1. At the same time, there was some shoddy officiating. I always thought the Houston Rockets get screwed a lot by refs when we play San Antonio, Utah, or the Los Angeles Lakers. Game 2 of this series is on Tuesday in Oakland.

I just hope the Rockets can finally figure out how to defeat Golden State in the Playoffs and stop being their chew toy or scratching post.

Hard to believe that Houston wasn't able to win even just a single game in the first two games against Golden State when the other remaining teams are currently tied.

Golden State is clearly the better team. The Warriors can only beat themselves. All the Houston Rockets can hope for is that they handle their business at home against Golden State. The Rockets will need to do a lot more to try to make this an actual series rather than get beat again by them. Defeating Golden State in a seven-game series isn't impossible with this Rockets squad, but they at least need to find ways to beat them. If the Los Angeles Clippers could take games away from Golden State, so can the Rockets.

GS at HOU begins Saturday night here in Houston. Game 3 of this series will be this Saturday night.

At least it was just a close call since they only lost by a small margin but they better make up for the lost by winning the next two games in their home. There's no excuses this time, as Chris Paul wasn't injured at all. He is playing in the games so Harden isn't all alone in this one.

4 overtimes. As a nugs fan I just gotta shout out my boys. With the season we've had, i'd have been happy losing to the Spurs to be honest. Jokic is an absolute gift, what a guy to watch. I remember the summer we drafted him in the second round, seeing practice footage of his lovely smooth jumpshot and thinking damn, this dude could be special. My best take ever.

Game 3 of Golden State and Houston played itself out in H-Town last night. The Warriors indeed played hard, but the Rockets had enough to get the 126-121 win. Regulation didn't solve anything, so Overtime was needed. I was pleased we won this one. However, I kind of got some mixed messages about how last night's game played out. It kind of seemed like Golden State LET us win so they they could probably take the series to five games so they can easily hammer us when we get back to Oakland. Golden State didn't even try to foul once we got the ball back with less than 20 seconds left in Overtime.

I like to think this may FINALLY be the series where we defeat this decade's Golden State after multiple failed attempts. What seemed like Golden State conceding in Overtime last night makes me think otherwise. But... we'll see how things go once Game 4 happens on Monday here in Houston.

Game 3 of Golden State and Houston played itself out in H-Town last night. The Warriors indeed played hard, but the Rockets had enough to get the 126-121 win. Regulation didn't solve anything, so Overtime was needed. I was pleased we won this one. However, I kind of got some mixed messages about how last night's game played out. It kind of seemed like Golden State LET us win so they they could probably take the series to five games so they can easily hammer us when we get back to Oakland. Golden State didn't even try to foul once we got the ball back with less than 20 seconds left in Overtime.

I like to think this may FINALLY be the series where we defeat this decade's Golden State after multiple failed attempts. What seemed like Golden State conceding in Overtime last night makes me think otherwise. But... we'll see how things go once Game 4 happens on Monday here in Houston.
Game 1 should have been yours. One of the worst officiated games I have ever seen, especially after how Kawhi got injured 2 years back. Unfortunately i dont think harden can rescue it, especially without capela playing. Please injure kd so nugs have a chance (or portland)

Yeah, I do think the Rockets could have taken Game 1, because they didn't do a whole lot when Game 2 of this series happened.

I wanted to make note of the POR-DEN series. Friday night was that quadruple Overtime game. A game like this is mostly a nightmare mostly for East Coast fans. You know... a night game on the West Coast that goes into Overtime. Then, it goes into four Overtimes. I'm sure it was probably the 2:00 AM or 3:00 AM hour on the East Coast. It was almost like that World Series game last year or so when the Los Angeles Dodgers won a late game that took a while to complete in extra innings (14, I believe). Still... you're pleased if you're a Portland fan, having beaten Denver 140-137 after four Overtimes. Only basketball game more grueling that I can remember was that Big East Tournament game between Syracuse and UConn in 2009 that went to six Overtimes.

As of right now, Toronto is at Philadelphia. This game is tied at 75 heading into the 4th Quarter. PHI leads the series 2-1.

Yeah, I do think the Rockets could have taken Game 1, because they didn't do a whole lot when Game 2 of this series happened.

I wanted to make note of the POR-DEN series. Friday night was that quadruple Overtime game. A game like this is mostly a nightmare mostly for East Coast fans. You know... a night game on the West Coast that goes into Overtime. Then, it goes into four Overtimes. I'm sure it was probably the 2:00 AM or 3:00 AM hour on the East Coast. It was almost like that World Series game last year or so when the Los Angeles Dodgers won a late game that took a while to complete in extra innings (14, I believe). Still... you're pleased if you're a Portland fan, having beaten Denver 140-137 after four Overtimes. Only basketball game more grueling that I can remember was that Big East Tournament game between Syracuse and UConn in 2009 that went to six Overtimes.

As of right now, Toronto is at Philadelphia. This game is tied at 75 heading into the 4th Quarter. PHI leads the series 2-1.
bad for east coast fans, sure, but spare a thought for a nuggets fan in England! 4OT was just coming to a close when my upset stomach woke me up at 7am! PHI-TOR has been great too, find myself backing the sixers as i love a dominant big like Embiid :)

Dude, they're currently leading 3-1 already. :lol:

If Boston does not take Game 5 @mil seriously, then it's a good bye to them. Desperate times call for desperate measures. :)

Been telling my friends this since before game 2, I hope I’m right

Been telling my friends this since before game 2, I hope I’m right
It seems that your prediction was right, after all. Kyrie and the rest of the Celtics are only good for being the 'Intro Boys' this series in this year's postseason. :lol:

Yep. Boston Celtics are DONE. Milwaukee going to the Eastern Conference Finals to meet the winner of the TOR-PHI series (TOR leads series 3-2). MIL takes the MIL-BOS series 4-1.

From the recent post of Basketball Forever in Facebook

59681370_2616941208336535_6345136601504415744_o.jpg

Meanwhile... another fail by the Houston Rockets. Oracle Arena is like Purgatory or Hell for the Houston Rockets, and it shown again with the Warriors playing like they are going to hoist the O'Brien Trophy again. Not many people have the Rockets coming back anyways, so it seems only a matter of time before they are finally extinguished in either Game 6 or if they force a Game 7. Game 7 means they will have to return to Oakland to face the Golden State Warriors one last time. And when you can't win in a place that seems to be your House of Horrors, you get desperate trying to find out how to beat that other team in their house. The winner of Gam 5 supposedly wins the series 82% of the time.

Game 6 is Friday in Houston on ESPN. Oh- and we fail often on ESPN/ABC networks. Boy, I would LOVE to be proven wrong about my hopes of the 2018-2019 Houston Rockets' hopes of making it to the Western Conference Finals...

Believe it or not, they only won by a small margin. Again. But a win is still a win, no matter what. With only a small lead separating the two teams, I believe Houston could have forced an overtime there and maybe win the game but it didn't happen.

During the late of 4th quarter, Kevin Durant seemed to have suffered an Achilles tendon but it was later found out that it was only a calf strain. Shoot. If he really did suffered an Achilles though, then that would mean that he would be done already for the rest of the season, giving Houston a better probability of winning the last two games to succeed in the WCF. Still, I believe they'll win their next home game, forcing another Game 7 just like how it went bet. the two teams when they faced each other last year in the WCF.

Houston Rockets DONE. Again. Same team. If anything, we lost fighting. Not one game in the HOU-GS playoff series was decided by double digits. I knew this Golden State team being *vulnerable* was like when this past season's NFL's New England Patriots seemed vulnerable. What did the Pats do in this vulnerable state? Win the Super Bowl. I am damned disappointed in the Rockets just not doing enough to give themselves a chance to win. Then also, Golden State is not a sorry team. Golden State takes the series 4-2 and win 118-113 even without Kevin Durant and company.

Back to the Astros and Dynamo for me, I guess. Congratulations to the eventual champions of this season. Terrible shame, but what can I do about it?

The Dubs pulled it off against the Rockets (again) without KD, but the Conference Finals ain't gonna be a walk in the park against either team in Sunday's Game 7.

The Nuggets have a deep roster and the Blazers have that deadly backcourt. If KD won't be back until the finals, the Dubs have to dig deeper than they did against Houston if they want to make it to the finals. If anything, I'm more excited about the East, it's literally anyone's game to see who comes out of there into the Finals.

Sad... :(

I expected more from Houston but this is way beyond disappointing as they're expected to make a comeback in their own court to at least force a decisive Game 7. The least thing I only wanted to happen in this season's playoffs is to see another team beat the Dubs so that their postseason would end already but it looks like that's still gonna be far from reality again. Is that too much to ask?

Still, it would really be miraculous to see them get defeated in the WCF or Finals this year. I'm just tired of seeing this overrated dynasty team get their rings so easily without much effort. So I think it's time for another team to be given that opportunity in overthrowing them already and I really hope it will happen soon.

Sad... :(

I expected more from Houston but this is way beyond disappointing as they're expected to make a comeback in their own court to at least force a decisive Game 7. The least thing I only wanted to happen in this season's playoffs is to see another team beat the Dubs so that their postseason would end already but it looks like that's still gonna be far from reality again. Is that too much to ask?

Still, it would really be miraculous to see them get defeated in the WCF or Finals this year. I'm just tired of seeing this overrated dynasty team get their rings so easily without much effort. So I think it's time for another team to be given that opportunity in overthrowing them already and I really hope it will happen soon.
I can taste the salt lol.

Overrated? No one can deny they've done a good job making their roster the way it is. And without their two all-star additions in Boogie and KD, the way they pulled through against Houston means the "Strength in Numbers" Warriors of 2015 is still very much alive and capable of performing when needed, not as strong as before, but still there.

Tonight definitely was a team effort, A LOT of it. GSW is now more vulnerable without KD, but failing to capitalize on it is the fault of the other teams, not theirs.

The season ain't over though. You can still get your wish in the next two playoff rounds.

I can taste the salt lol.

Overrated? No one can deny they've done a good job making their roster the way it is. And without their two all-star additions in Boogie and KD, the way they pulled through against Houston means the "Strength in Numbers" Warriors of 2015 is still very much alive and capable of performing when needed, not as strong as before, but still there.

Tonight definitely was a team effort, A LOT of it. GSW is now more vulnerable without KD, but failing to capitalize on it is the fault of the other teams, not theirs.

The season ain't over though. You can still get your wish in the next two playoff rounds.
I know. It's already obvious, isn't it?

I did come to like the team during the 2014-15 NBA season but have despised it ever since they went 73-9 the succeeding season, probably because I'm a MJ fan and the Bulls are still my fave team. Plus, when KD decided to join the team after he lost to them that season, it only added wood to the fire.

Yup, the team has had many feats since Steve Kerr became their head coach in 2014. They can play really great as a team even during these days, no doubt but I also hated how their ridiculous fans acted and bragged them as if they know everything about basketball. And probably almost all of them only started to become fans of the said team since 2015, when they captured their first championship in 40 years. That's why I thought the team is overrated, too.

So yes. That's where the salt is coming from so I apologize for that. I know it isn't something new anymore.

Last edited:
Yup, the team has had many feats since Steve Kerr became their head coach in 2014 but I also hated how their ridiculous fans acted as if they know everything about basketball. And probably almost all of these fans only started to become fans of the said team since 2015, when they captured their first championship in 40 years.
The social media era does that to a lot of people.

I started being a GSW fan out of being an Andre Iguodala fan from back when he was with the Sixers, and the beauty of their game back in the pre-KD era just drew me in. It was like watching Spurs ball only with more talented players across the court. Then comes the fans that just have tunnel vision towards the stars and ignore what makes talented teams great, chemistry and team play, getting everyone on the court involved in the offense. Even when rooting for the same team you learn to block them out over time.

The social media era does that to a lot of people.

I started being a GSW fan out of being an Andre Iguodala fan from back when he was with the Sixers, and the beauty of their game back in the pre-KD era just drew me in. It was like watching Spurs ball only with more talented players across the court. Then comes the fans that just have tunnel vision towards the stars and ignore what makes talented teams great, chemistry and team play, getting everyone on the court involved in the offense. Even when rooting for the same team you learn to block them out over time.
Ah I see. Well, I would respect Steve Kerr for his admirable competence and give him credit for making this team successful. He's really great as a coach. I'm not sure but aside from having multiple talented players, many people probably don't know the fact that one thing that made their plays great is because he orchestrated and utilized the triangle offense which he witnessed and experienced during his bachelor days as a player with MJ in Chicago.

This is a definition of teamwork with talented players. That's why they kept on winning games, leaving the other teams biting the dust. Without him, I doubt if the Dubs could make more than 3 consecutive Finals appearances since his coaching really complements the team.

On the other hand, LBJ has ultimately carried two different Eastern Conference teams to the Finals more than 3 times, something which is equally admirable but also thanks to the East's mild competition that allowed him to reign supreme there for 8 years starting 2010. However, the Finals is a lot different. Sure, he didn't get each title every time he did but a feat is still a feat.

One main reason for that is he always seems to become a one-man army when it comes to the postseason that even if he has some other talented players to back him up, they would only rely on him so badly in the end just to succeed. This is something that wouldn't just work in the long run so that's why he kept recording consecutive losses in the championship rounds. Using an analogy, he's like a turbocharger that an engine, which is his team, heavily relies upon just to keep it running but he's surely a lot more strained than the talented players of the Dubs which can naturally act as a real team, since his teammates only seem to be impartial most of the time but they still do have their own uses sometimes.

Now that he's in Kobe's former and only team, however, he is unable to carry them even just for the last spot in the playoffs this season. Many people are attributing this to the Western Conference competition but I don't know if this is even true.

This, again, makes me question whether or not James Harden is MVP material as far as carrying a team to a Championship. People basically look at James Harden in the NBA more like Peyton Manning in the NFL. You know... great in the regular season, not so much in the playoffs. Of course, Peyton Manning won the Super Bowl while James Harden has yet to win the NBA Championship. I always wonder how social media reacts when a team is knocked out of the postseason. From the Houston Rockets' Facebook page, people are more like, "fire the coach! Blow this team up!" and stuff like that. Harden is amazing, but not amazing enough to be that one-man army to lead a team to a championship. Now, James Harden doesn't have to be the primary scoring outlet, but the rest of the team has to pick it up when he (or even CP3) fail or stumble. I just think the Rockets need to work more on efficiency rather than jack up threes all the time.

As much as I hate to say it, there are some teams you just aren't going to beat or certain events you aren't going to win. Yet, you still keep trying because you know you can reach a level you know you can reach. An example I'll provide is Toyota at Le Mans. Toyota has constantly and consistently failed to win Le Mans until they FINALLY won Le Mans outright in 2018, even if the field in the top level ranks was weak sauce. Or you can look to first-time champs like the NFL's New Orleans Saints winning the Super Bowl in 2010, the Dallas Mavericks winning their first title in the 2010-2011 season, or my Houston Astros of the MLB in 2017. Even the best and well-equipped teams fail.

I'll leave the notion on the 2018-2019 Houston Rockets with this Tweet (I don't know how to do the embedding thing on here):

"The Houston Rockets are a really terrific team, a fine team with 2 incredible players. But there's a difference between terrific teams and championship teams and the Warriors are the latter, a cut above." -Michael Wilbon on Twitter

Back