Need everyone's input on this situation. 2 Possible outcomes

  • Thread starter Thread starter Boz Mon
  • 113 comments
  • 8,536 views
Messages
1,478
Today I test drove another Miata, an 02 with 24k miles on it. The price? $13,800. I'm pretty sure I can swing this price because I have over 6k in the bank, and a pretty steady income from my job. The issue is, for that price I can get a pretty clean AP1 S2000 with around the same mileage. So I need everyone's input on both cars. The pluses and minuses of each. I'm leaning toward the S2k, but I'm not 100% sure. Any info on either of the cars is appreciated, and will be considered.

I have not yet even drove an S2000, but I am pretty sure it would be everything I think it is. This is the 2nd time I have driven an NB miata, and both times were pure genius.
 
Take the S2000 without question. As long as its all factory and in unmolested condition I'd take the S2000. They are better looking, faster, sound better, have more interior room and most importantly you aren't a girl driving it.
 
I wont be buying any cars that have been modified. And the roomyness of the S is a huge plus seeing as how I am around 6'2"
 
Well do keep in mind that there isn't ample space, just a bit more than the MX5. I'm 6'0" and I was a bit cramped. But at least it wasn't uncomfortble. :D 6'2" is probably the tallest person that could at least fit comfortably.
 
I agree with JCE. Most Miata drivers in this area are women or middle aged men who want to pick up girls who think it looks like their barbie dream car. The S2K is far better looking IMO, and more performance oriented (although I've never seen the numbers side by side, stock vs stock it looks faster from what I've seen).

Besides, what would you drive in down the street?! Stick with the H man, and when you hear what 9,000 rpm sounds like, you'll know you made the right decision. 👍
 
so this is pretty black and white then? Any miata and or S2k drivers have input?

Edit: Yes the S is faster it has 240hp, as opposed to the 140ish that the NB miata has.
 
Yeah, it sucks you guys don't get our Australian performance versions of the MX5/Miata. We have the MX5 SE (turbo, 125Kw - around 170hp) and then the MX5 SP (turbo, 158Kw - nearly 210hp). The SP WILL give an S2K a run for it's money, any day of the week.

But for the prices you're quoting, the S2K seems far and away the better deal.
 
Take the Honda...what's not to like?

- Faster
- More room
- Better sound
- Better looks
- Voted THREE times the best car to have according to Top Gear's Ownership survey.


Hmm...
 
Well the mx5 will need a cambelt replacement at 40k miles.
 
How do you plan on driving the car? You would think that the MX-5 would have better fuel economy, so if racing is not a thing you do often, then it might be a better choice. Also with the motor being designed to have a broader torque band (not skyrocketing to 9k rpm), then it might also be a little easier to drive daily. But who I'm I kidding, I'd pick the S2K even if it wasn't the more practical car. Now if you were looking at an older Monster Miata, I'd go with the MX-5:sly:
 
The Miata is the better driver's car. The S2000, while faster, is boring in comparison. It's almost as dead as your average Civic. Forget the image in this choice; the S2000 gets just as much middle-aged men.

The choice depends on what you want from the drive. Do you want to go fast, or do you want to enjoy moderate speed? Test drive both and if you can't tell the difference, get the Honda. You won't know what you're missing anyway.
 
I really enjoy my Prelude because I can actually "feel" everything. If a car feels dead, I don't like it. The miata may be the better choice in this situation. I'm going to try and find some S's next week to test drive.
 
Is this a joke? Miatas are horrifyingly lame unless you're taking it out to the track everyday. Take the S2000. But i wouldn't pay $13,800 for it unless it's absolutely mint with a clean title.
 
Is this a joke? Miatas are horrifyingly lame unless you're taking it out to the track everyday.

Err, Bluff.
 
Is this a joke? Miatas are horrifyingly lame unless you're taking it out to the track everyday.

Ever actually driven one instead of just automatically succumbing to the "haridresser car" stereotype?
 
The Miata is the better car. The S2K will bore you, really no fun unless you're giving it some.
 
I really like the look of the mk1 mx5 (and the performance version was pretty quick as well as being a great handeling car), but I think the looks went rather downhill after the first. I also love how its basicly the modern equivalent of the traditional British 2 seater.

I'm not a great fan of Honda's, but the S2000 is in my mind the pick of the range, fantastic handeling (all be it a bit high revving for my tastes).

Assuming you are talking about a mk2 or mk3 mx5, for looks I'd say take the S2k, but for fun and daily use if your not too tall for it to be comfortable I'd say go for the mx5. (my mother has a mk3 sport, and its just too cramped in there for me to be in more than a short time)
 
All the people in here saying Miatas suck presumably:

a) Haven't driven them
b) Have small genitals and try to make up for it by always picking the macho choice of everything
c) Haven't driven them
d) Haven't driven them or
e) All of the above

I'm sure the S2000 is a wonderful car but the Miata is certainly worth a drive at the very least.
 
Ever actually driven one instead of just automatically succumbing to the "haridresser car" stereotype?

There's no need to resort to gay jokes when you're talking about a car as bland and dated-looking as the 2002 Miata. The S2000 has far more interesting lines that still haven't bored me yet. Do you really think a 6-7 year old car is going to be able to take the abuse of fun driving? That's literally the only advantage the Miata has. And it's minimal at that.

Besides, the S2000 has the coolest instrument cluster on the planet.
2000-2.jpg
 
I'd vote for the S2K. A 6-7 year old car or not, it should handle spirited driving no problem, unless it was never maintained, then there are other things to worry about. In my personal opinion, the Honda is just more fun to drive, not to say a Miata is boring. I'm sure the high revs the Honda puts out will equal instant smiles and satisfaction for you, but then again you won't be driving around town at 8500rpms. Like others said, drive them both, see what you like more, it's all to your taste. Then again, they are both rear drive roadsters, you can't really make a wrong choice.

Gas pedal + No roof + Sporty exhaust = :cheers:
 
There's no need to resort to gay jokes when you're talking about a car as bland and dated-looking as the 2002 Miata. The S2000 has far more interesting lines that still haven't bored me yet. Do you really think a 6-7 year old car is going to be able to take the abuse of fun driving? That's literally the only advantage the Miata has. And it's minimal at that.


I don't see your point here.

Reading your post from my view makes it seem like you have the two cars mixed up; to me the S2000 is the bland, dated one and the Miata is the one yet to bore me. Your point about the car being "old"... Well hell, I wouldn't expect factory suspension bits to be useless for proper driving for a very long time unless the car was trashed since new... Nearly anything with less than 50,000 miles is going to feel new or almost new when on the road and be more than up to the task of running through a few corners at near full-tilt when the want arrives... But the entire point of the MX5 is that while it is excellent at the limit, said excellence remains at sane speeds... Something that according to some the S2000 lacks.
 
I really enjoy my Prelude because I can actually "feel" everything. If a car feels dead, I don't like it. The miata may be the better choice in this situation. I'm going to try and find some S's next week to test drive.

Don't listen to these people, the S2000 is VERY fun and VERY addicting. The amount of grip this thing has even with the TCS off is ASOUNDING. I seriously tried to brake the back end loose at the Honda dealership I worked at it I found it quite difficult on pavement. I had to really give it the beans. And you know your Hondas well enough to know all about VTEC and whatnot. You also know the gas mileage bonus you get with VTEC Hondas when you drive sensibly. :D

Ever actually driven one instead of just automatically succumbing to the "haridresser car" stereotype?

I have and I still think the S2000 is a better car. If he's 5'11' or taller and has an average to above average body type the MX5 is not the right choice. Yes I hate the MX5 but I do know it is a fun car and handles well--but so does the S2000--and twice as much I might add. But lets face it is IS driven by mostly women--that is ones that I see around here.

The Miata is the better car. The S2K will bore you, really no fun unless you're giving it some.

Err, bluff.

All the people in here saying Miatas suck presumably:

a) Haven't driven them
b) Have small genitals and try to make up for it by always picking the macho choice of everything
c) Haven't driven them
d) Haven't driven them or
e) All of the above

I'm sure the S2000 is a wonderful car but the Miata is certainly worth a drive at the very least.

While I agree with the bold part of then statement don't you just assume that those of us who are saying the S2000 is better that we haven't driven both. I have--and yes I had to put the top down in the MX5 just to fit in that thing.

All in all he should drive both and make up his own mind. But seeing that he has a Prelude I'm pretty sure he's going to choose the S2000. 👍
 
As someone who's been looking at the same vehicles over the past few months as (possible) successors to my current vehicle, there are a few things you may want to consider:

* What will your insurance rates look like?
* What kind of work will you be wanting to do on the car?
* Will this be your daily driver? What kind of sacrifices are you willing to make on the vehicle?

Part of the problem is that at $14,000 (give or take), you're essentially left with three excellent options:

(A) The NB Mazdaspeed MX-5 --> Turbocharged fun, well-loved examples are easy to find, plus you're driving a rather rare "classic"
(B) The NC MX-5 (2006 or 2007) --> Still the industry standard, and an interior that is both comfortable and functional... Even at 6'1", I fit in there just fine
(C) The Honda S2000 AP1 (2000-2003) --> You want the 2.0L, and you know it

Most of my MX5 expirience is limited to the NA model, and while I have spent short bits of time in the NB and NC, they all offer the same stuff. Cheap, reliable, and absolutely a blast to drive. As for the S2000, I've been in plenty, but never driven one. Between the three vehicles, each have their advantages and disadvantages. I have to admit that I fancy the NC MX5 quite a bit. Generally speaking, between the two, I'd be comparing insurance rates and fuel economy first... Then seeing what I can find for sale. Buy when its cold, and you can usually get a good price if people are selling. Head south too, I always seem to find good deals on these roadsters out of Texas, California and Florida.
 
JCE
Take the S2000 without question. As long as its all factory and in unmolested condition I'd take the S2000. They are better looking, faster, sound better, have more interior room and most importantly you aren't a girl driving it.
That's a bit funny since I've seen more women driving S2000's & more men driving the Miata's around DFW. :D

Then again, I've seen more women than men driving Type-S'. 💡
 
The thrill of the Miata is the low limits of the thing. You don't have to go ridiculously fast to break it loose... which is the whole point of owning one. The suspension is soft, the grip isn't there, and there's just enough power to get out of your own way. A Miata flows with the road, it doesn't jounce and skitter over it like an S2000. It doesn't beat you up to drive. Slicing up a mountain road in a Miata is one of the most natural things in the world.

I nearly die of envy every time I see a bunch of guys get on track with their NA Miatas. While the rest of us are trying to drive clean and find our lines, they're flinging those little cars off the track backwards, and having a hoot of a time of it.

I'd go for the turbocharged NB Miata over the NC... the NC is nice, granted, but the limits are higher (though still approachable) and the steering is less feelsome, thanks to the new electric rack. The NB Mazdaspeed has more useable torque, more top-end power and feels more organic than the newer car.
 
My first reaction is also the S2000, but it's also one of the most expensive cars to insure. I'm a fan of both, but remember the S2000, especially the first generation needs to be seriously revved to get it in its zone. Also, if you're not that used to RWD or sports cars, you can get in far more trouble in the S2000. I guess I'd say that the Miata is an all around, fun instrument, while the S2000 is a special-purpose blade.
 
Oh... and that's the other great thing about the Miata... when it does let go, it's at such modest G-loadings and is so gradual, that it's a doodle to catch. This is the kind of car you buy if you want to learn how to drift or rally. It's not powerful enough to hold a "mad tyte dorifto", but it's quite telepathic about what it does.

The S2000, on the other hand, requires quite a bit of respect. You don't go around looking to provoke it, because it can bite if you step over the line.
 
JCE
If he's 5'11' or taller and has an average to above average body type the MX5 is not the right choice.

Err, Bluff.

*is 5'11 and has a BMI of 25.0 and fits in easily*
 
Do you really think a 6-7 year old car is going to be able to take the abuse of fun driving? That's literally the only advantage the Miata has. And it's minimal at that.

Why yes, I certainly do. I know a lot of 10-15-year-old 100k-150k mile Miatas that were bought for peanuts and get the living piss driven out of them on a regular basis and hold up beautifully.

To dismiss the Miata as "lame" is ludicrous at best.

When it comes to turning my own wrenches, I'd rather have the Miata in my garage any day, too. Not that I have anything against the S2000, but I prefer to work on my own cars and even the pros don't like to open up the engine. And personally, I think digital instrument panels are tacky. I'm always reminded of Douglas Adams's bit about thinking digital watches are really cool from THGTTG.

Lastly: is there a highly competitive and hugely populated Spec S2000 racing class? Nope.
 
Back