Need For Speed: Most Wanted 2012

• Thread starter Ddrizle
  • 4,285 comments
I love this answer:
Of course it wouldn’t be Most Wanted without an M3, which is why an all new Most Wanted demanded an all new M3 Coupé. We love the M3. It delivers all around performance in every area that counts: speed, acceleration, power, strength and rock solid handling on practically any surface

TUNING and LIVERY EDITOR or no purchase.
New details for you guys: - There will be cars from the following 6 classes: Muscle, SUV, Sports, Grand Tourer, Track and Sedans. - Most Wanted will have performance upgrades and how you personalize your roll out is up to you. - You're Most Wanted and 10 other Blacklist drivers are trying to take your title. They'll hunt you down and challenge you! - The focus is less on storytelling and more on racing without rules, open world action, nonstop multiplayer with friends.
Basically, long story short it has it.

Anyone else remember that Need for Speed started out as a simulator?

I'm not asking for GT5 or Froza physics, I'm simply wish they could go back to the days of Need for Speed I-IV, where the physics attempted to be somewhat realistic but also fun. This looks like another high speed free for all which doesn't hold my attention for long.

Also the lack of creativity in track design. NFS II ('97) is still my favorite NFS because it's tracks varied so much. One moment you were racing in the Australian Outback the next you were driving through caves and over old ice covered bridges in the Himalayas. Why does every racing game have to be sandbox nowadays?

Maybe I'm just being nostalgic. Racing games have moved on, but I haven't.

Basically, long story short it has it.
Looking forward to see the livery editor features then.

But what's wrong with these videos? It looks like Burnout. Contacts and crashes are part of illegal races but they can't smash the car each other every 3 seconds.. that looks silly.

It seems only a few of you understand that it is called Most Wanted because that's what the game is enticing you to be; the Most Wanted racer in the game & on Autolog.

The only link between this & the original is that you have to work your way up there. Too many of you are basically just asking for a sequel & I know this because you keep asking for Cross, the M3, & similar features. If that's what you want, go play the NFS: Carbon. That is the sequel to Most Wanted, end of story.

This is not. This is a game centered around the same basic premise, but through a different "story arch".

I'm not so excited. Why? Because Criterion is developing it. To me, Criterion shouldn't be making Need For Speeds because it makes them seem like Burnout games, with Stunts, Boost, and stupid crazy drifts. I want MW to be like the Original MW, not a Burnout Rehash. Burnout is good, just not when your trying to make a Need For Speed game.
Sales & fan reception would say otherwise. Hot Pursuit did a fantastic job as a throw back to the original core of Need For Speed.

I think it's too late for Most Wanted 2 as its near the end of development but if they make any more remakes they should let Blackbox do it.

I don't think they will do that unless they get another Studio to develop another NFS with Blackbox as EA want to make as much money as possible and release a new NFS every year.
No. BlackBox has completely lost their touch on what Need For Speed was originally about, & the last few games have showed; the reception has been mild to poor.

Criterion met with such positive reception over Hot Pursuit because it was the first NFS game to re-imagine the the first generation of NFS.
Criterion Games copy and pasted Burnout Paradise's physics, 'nuff said.
Would you quit posting this dribble? I think everyone read your comment on the physics in the last 3 pages. :rolleyes:

I'm not so excited. Why? Because Criterion is developing it. To me, Criterion shouldn't be making Need For Speeds because it makes them seem like Burnout games, with Stunts, Boost, and stupid crazy drifts. I want MW to be like the Original MW, not a Burnout Rehash. Burnout is good, just not when your trying to make a Need For Speed game.

Most Wanted already had stunts, boost, and "stupid crazy drifts" before Criterion ever came near it, so I'm not exactly sure why you're choosing to cite these as negatives now. Moreover, NFS itself has, for the most part, always been like that. Again, not sure why it's a negative thing now.

Thank you McLaren. I can't begin to tell you how annoying it is hearing people ask for a sequel to Most Wanted, when it's been out for 6 years now.

I liked it pretty much from the E3 video, maybe because I did grown up playing Burnout. But, you know, Most Wanted being my favorite NFS game of all time (I started playing on Underground 1, so I'm what they call the Fast and Furious generation), I'm still scratching my head about this game.

Most Wanted had a story (as simple as it was), and you went thru the whole game with a feeling of vengeance against Razor because of the M3 GTR. I loved Hot Pursuit (2010), spent hours playing with my friend the game, but Criterion doing NFS games still don't mix to me. From what I've seen, and what I heard, the game is a mix of:

TDU kind of multiplayer (players racing and cruising around the city in groups) + an revigorated Autolog (something that really put a smile in my face, one of the greatest additions by EA in their games) + Burnout racing style (beat and banging, drifting and big jumps.)

Like I said, I'm still scratching my head... maybe waiting a few months, seeing the trailers they usually release until the launch of the game, I can stop my scratching my head and decide to buy or not to buy it. For now, I'm waiting for more videos and pictures.

And remember, don't jump in conclusion guys. The gameplay shown in the E3 was pre-alpha. We can't be really sure of how really the game is gonna be on November 2nd, when Need For Speed: Most Wanted will hit the worldwide stores. Until then, let's wait a bit more to know what to really expect from this game.

No. BlackBox has completely lost their touch on what Need For Speed was originally about, & the last few games have showed; the reception has been mild to poor.

Criterion met with such positive reception over Hot Pursuit because it was the first NFS game to re-imagine the the first generation of NFS.

That was bound to happen... Blackbox was the only studio working on NFS up until 2010. I can only imagine how tricky it would be to make a high quality title for 7th gen systems every single year... it was obvious that they would burn out which was what happened with Carbon, ProStreet, Undercover, World and The Run. Now that they have 2 years to produce titles with a better story and better overall gameplay they should be the ones making the remakes and they should leave Criterion to making the new NFS games. That's just my opinion though.

I totally agree with you there Criterion did make a brilliant remake from Hot Pursuit that brought back practically all the elements from the original and included new features as well, they did a brilliant job on that game. Sadly in my opinion they did not do this with Most Wanted. Yes I know that the story ended in Carbon, that's fine but they should have possibly had a new protagonist and a new antagonist in the story with the live action cutscenes. They should have have put in Speedbreaker and i'm not sure if they have customisation but they should have that aswell. Basically what i'm trying to say is they should have many of the elements from the old NFS and include new features like what they did with Hot Pursuit. From what i've seen at E3 the game doesn't feel related to Most Wanted in any reason other than it's name. I felt like the game lacked soul.

What I am glad about though is that they released the Original Most Wanted on the 360 so i'm going to download that instead of getting the new one.

Basically what i'm trying to say is they should have many of the elements from the old NFS and include new features like what they did with Hot Pursuit. From what i've seen at E3 the game doesn't feel related to Most Wanted in any reason other than it's name. I felt like the game lacked soul.

This.

That was bound to happen... Blackbox was the only studio working on NFS up until 2010. I can only imagine how tricky it would be to make a high quality title for 7th gen systems every single year... it was obvious that they would burn out which was what happened with Carbon, ProStreet, Undercover, World and The Run. Now that they have 2 years to produce titles with a better story and better overall gameplay they should be the ones making the remakes and they should leave Criterion to making the new NFS games. That's just my opinion though.

It was not bound to happen. It did happen, right after Most Wanted, their 4th game in the franchise.
Carbon, Undercover, ProStreet, World, The Run, all were met with mild-to-poor reviews compared to HP2, Underground/2 & Most Wanted. Although personally, I couldn't stand Underground 2 & it's hard for me to consider Hot Pursuit II as one of their creations since EA Seattle was a contributor as well.

This is not a re-make, either. This is a new NFS game. It only shares a title.
I totally agree with you there Criterion did make a brilliant remake from Hot Pursuit that brought back practically all the elements from the original and included new features as well, they did a brilliant job on that game. Sadly in my opinion they did not do this with Most Wanted. Yes I know that the story ended in Carbon, that's fine but they should have possibly had a new protagonist and a new antagonist in the story with the live action cutscenes.
If you want a story, then watch for BlackBox NFS games. Part of Hot Pursuit's charm (& NFS in general) is that it does need a story to be a solid game. The first generation is nothing but classics & did not need live action cut scenes to do so. Obviously, there's a fault in there somewhere on why the first generation did so well & the second generation of NFS did not.

They should have have put in Speedbreaker and i'm not sure if they have customisation but they should have that aswell. Basically what i'm trying to say is they should have many of the elements from the old NFS and include new features like what they did with Hot Pursuit. From what i've seen at E3 the game doesn't feel related to Most Wanted in any reason other than it's name. I felt like the game lacked soul.
That's because that's all the relationship is; the name. The premise of both games is the same; get to the top, aka, Most Wanted. That's it.

You've never played the game though, so how could you possibly feel like it lacks soul, considering your only judgement so far has just been on it not being a rehashed title? To add to that, we don't know what all the new features have been added, so there very well may be some Most Wanted throwbacks such as Speedbreakers.

Last edited:
[/B]It was not bound to happen. It did happen, right after Most Wanted, their 4th game in the franchise.
Carbon, Undercover, ProStreet, World, The Run, all were met with mild-to-poor reviews compared to HP2, Underground/2 & Most Wanted. Although personally, I couldn't stand Underground 2 & it's hard for me to consider Hot Pursuit II as one of their creations since EA Seattle was a contributor as well.

If you want a story, then watch for BlackBox NFS games. Part of Hot Pursuit's charm (& NFS in general) is that it does need a story to be a solid game. The first generation is nothing but classics & did not need live action cut scenes to do so. Obviously, there's a fault in there somewhere on why the first generation did so well & the second generation of NFS did not.

That's because that's all the relationship is; the name. The premise of both games is the same; get to the top, aka, Most Wanted. That's it.

You've never played the game though, so how could you possibly feel like it lacks soul, considering your only judgement so far has just been on it not being a rehashed title? To add to that, we don't know what all the new features have been added, so there very well may be some Most Wanted throwbacks such as Speedbreakers.

Don't want to butt in here, which i'm obviously doing, but... aren't you saying the wrong things about this too now? You're comparing HP 2010 to NFS III: HP, but we can't compare Most Wanted to MW 2012? That's a little hypocrite, don't you think so?

The way that Blackbox made the second generation of NFS games worked well when the story was actually good and made some sort of sense (which Carbon, Undercover and The Run didn't) but as Blackbox were constantly rushed so they had less time to make a proper story with proper gameplay and that is what caused the NFS series to plummet downhill.

Then what EA/Criterion did was completely idiotic. They had to realise that many fans of the old Most Wanted (such as myself) wanted and expected a proper sequel to Most Wanted. If they didn't want it too be compared with the original i'm sure they could have just chosen a different title for the game. I'm not sure if this was milking of the Most Wanted name (which was the 3rd best selling NFS on PS2 after Underground 1 and 2) or just a very bad choice by EA/Criterion.

McLaren
This is a new NFS game. It only shares a title.

THANK YOU.

If people would just see it this way, there would be no more complaining about what they did; what they should've done, and what they shouldn't have. They're choosing to go this way, just live with it.

Also, I have a hunch there won't be much to the body part customizing, let alone livery editing and tuning. I'm guessing it will be at most preset liveries like The Run and the obvious factory + funky colour choices.

The way that Blackbox made the second generation of NFS games worked well when the story was actually good and made some sort of sense (which Carbon, Undercover and The Run didn't) but as Blackbox were constantly rushed sothey had less time to make a proper story with proper gameplay and that is what caused the NFS series to plummet downhill.

No, they resorted to adding the same thing you got in the last NFS game. They barely changed the gameplay mechanics & completely relied on cheesy storylines & sub-par acting. The Run seemed interesting til' it decided to be different from the Cannonball-esque storyline everyone thought it would be. You could have played Most Wanted, Carbon, & Undercover and they probably wouldn't have seemed all that different bar the story, itself.
Then what EA/Criterion did was completely idiotic. They had to realise that many fans of the old Most Wanted (such as myself) wanted and expected a proper sequel to Most Wanted. If they didn't want it too be compared with the original i'm sure they could have just chosen a different title for the game. I'm not sure if this was milking of the Most Wanted name (which was the 3rd best selling NFS on PS2 after Underground 1 and 2) or just a very bad choice by EA/Criterion.[/B]
That's your fault, then. Carbon was the sequel to Most Wanted. There is no point in you expecting a "proper" sequel from someone else after 7 years, esp. when you consider the fact that Underground 1, 2, Most Wanted, & Carbon are all connected through hints about the Player being the same Protagonist. ProStreet as well if you count Ryan Cooper's name being mentioned in Carbon.

They picked the name for 1 simple reason; same basic premise, completely different method at doing it.

Carbon was the sequel to Most Wanted. There is no point in you expecting a "proper" sequel from someone else after 7 years, esp. when you consider the fact that Underground 1, 2, Most Wanted, & Carbon are all connected through hints about the Player being the same Protagonist. ProStreet as well if you count Ryan Cooper's name being mentioned in Carbon.

They picked the name for 1 simple reason; same basic premise, completely different method at doing it.

Wait, what?! I played Carbon till the end 3 times and how I never saw this? I did know that U1, U2, MW and Carbon we're connected because they we're the same protagonist (that was made pretty obvious with the last message you received before racing against Razor) and that Carbon was the sequel to MW.

I guess it goes like this for everyone if you wanna play MW the original dwnload it on PSN or play it on your 360 or PS2. as for New most wanted not quite happy with it but willing to give it a go and see what the fuss is about.

Wait, what?! I played Carbon till the end 3 times and how I never saw this? I did know that U1, U2, MW and Carbon we're connected because they we're the same protagonist (that was made pretty obvious with the last message you received before racing against Razor) and that Carbon was the sequel to MW.
Sorry, I had the games mixed up. Cooper's name is mentioned in Undercover as an arrested street racer, so I take back ProStreet being a connection.

TDU kind of multiplayer (players racing and cruising around the city in groups) + an revigorated Autolog (something that really put a smile in my face, one of the greatest additions by EA in their games) + Burnout racing style (beat and banging, drifting and big jumps.)

Why mentioning TDU? Burnout Paradise also had online free roam and you could communicate with the other guys in the room to meet up for races, or stunt challenges. Again, this looks totally like Burnout with licensed vehicles, even the cover and the font scream "Burnout" to me. Doesn't make it a bad game, actually it most likely will be a fantastic title, but I still want a NfS without drifty physics, without boost and without takedowns.

but I still want a NfS without drifty physics, without boost and without takedowns.
Without drifty physics and takedowns yeah but no way you would remove boost, that has been present in NFS since the beginning of UG.

Yes, I don't care about the era since Underground though (I did when I was 14). And even Underground had races without boost, since you had to add it as an upgrade. Nowadays in Arcade racers, a boost which can be filled with drifting or driving on the wrong side of the road (...), is in every car from the beginning and I don't like that. There is not a single Arcade racer anymore without a boosting system.

Yes, I don't care about the era since Underground though (I did when I was 14). And even Underground had races without boost, since you had to add it as an upgrade. Nowadays in Arcade racers, a boost which can be filled with drifting or driving on the wrong side of the road (...), is in every car from the beginning and I don't like that. There is not a single Arcade racer anymore without a boosting system.

And that leads to the tired system of "drift through the corners to build up boost for the straights". Almost every arcade racer is a Ridge Racer now with that system.

I was at the arcade yeterday...played one of the old school Rush arcade racers. What a throwback. Circuit racing, exotic locations all over the world, no boost, no drifting. Just tight arcade physics and fun track design.

Dont get me wrong I liked Burnout Paradise. But it should be its own game. Its not what I want out of Need for Speed.

THANK YOU.

If people would just see it this way, there would be no more complaining about what they did; what they should've done, and what they shouldn't have. They're choosing to go this way, just live with it.

Also, I have a hunch there won't be much to the body part customizing, let alone livery editing and tuning. I'm guessing it will be at most preset liveries like The Run and the obvious factory + funky colour choices.
There's no doubt that they share a title, but Criterion Games didn't have to call it "Need For Speed: Most Wanted", but they decided to anyway. Now, since the 2005 game was such a sucess and a blast to play, I expect the 2012 game to at least remotely be the same.

It doesn't have to have the same storyline, it doesn't have to have the same cars, but I don't want physics that belong to the world of Burnout to mess this game up. And so far from what I've seen from E3 gameplay footage, the game doesn't even slightly resemble the 2005 game, and it's not because the game is online based. Had the game not been called "Most Wanted", I could have guessed this would have been another Hot Pursuit game.

And that leads to the tired system of "drift through the corners to build up boost for the straights". Almost every arcade racer is a Ridge Racer now with that system.

I was at the arcade yeterday...played one of the old school Rush arcade racers. What a throwback. Circuit racing, exotic locations all over the world, no boost, no drifting. Just tight arcade physics and fun track design.

Dont get me wrong I liked Burnout Paradise. But it should be its own game. Its not what I want out of Need for Speed.
Yes, drifting through the corners to gain boost for the straights must be one of the biggest clichés in arcade gaming history. It's getting tiring and I think game developers should lay back on the boosting and drifting a little bit and focus on things not featured in an arcade racer before.

Exactly my point.

👍

Today at 12:00 pm PT IGN is having a demo of it. It could be something new they will feature (I hope)

Back