Need for Speed Unbound - General Discussion

• Thread starter Famine
  • 751 comments
I just want to honestly say that this game is trash. It's one of the worst nfs games ea has ever made. It's a pity I can't get a refund to buy Assetto Corsa instead.
That doesn't line up with the general consensus, at least not from what I've seen of it on a broad range of message boards and Facebook groups. People seem to often be surprised by this one, in a positive way. I haven't enjoyed NFS since GameCube, with Underground 2 probably being the last one I liked. Since then they've generally lost my interest within an hour. This one is the first one in a long time that I actually played for several hours, and I'm definitely not the only person pleasantly surprised.

It's odd to see NFS and Assetto Corsa in the same short paragraph, though. They're almost polar opposites, with the only thing in common being that they're technically both in the same broad genre. Assetto Corsa is good, as least as far as the driving/racing, though the presentation is way off the mark. For example, I finish a race and teleport to my pit box where I sit while all the other cars continue driving. Then it just goes to a menu and I have to choose to quit. It's really odd design, to say the least. Also, it has a race replay option, but it doesn't show the whole race. Instead, it shows like the last two minutes of it. I've never seen a racing game show only the end. Don't get me wrong; I like Assetto Corsa a lot, but it's just odd in a lot of ways.

I assume you get a feel for the driving model after racing more?
That's what happened in my case. I don't know why but I felt that there's a tad bit more of weight transfer(?) going on compared to Heat and 2015. But I don't know what I'm talking about really lol

20230629_142719.jpg

Probably my favourite custom headlights in the game.

I was looking forward to finally giving this game a shot since it was on GamePass. Downloaded it last night and finally got going, but only managed to get 4-5 races in before I decided to uninstall it. It's more or less the same thing, especially the bad parts, and what that they've churned out the past few games. The dialogue was cheesy(and overpowers all other sounds way too much, even when dropping the sliders), the character customization and the aim they had for it all seems kind of tacky, but worst of all, the driving is still pretty bad. Out of the last 3 I feel this is the one I liked the least. Was hoping they'd at least improve the driving model enough after all this time, but unfortunately not. I could deal with the rest if that at least felt just ok. It's more or less lines up with how I originally felt about the game, and glad I decided to just avoid buying it for all this time. Probably would have gave it more of a chance if I actually bought it, just because of that specifically.

Last edited:
For those interested, there's a mod that captures the vibe of old racing games by tweaking the visuals and lighting settings

Almost immediately after this, the #WeWantNFS movement sprung up due to fears that they might not see new NFS games for few years to come. Thoughts?

That being said, I feel that neither EA nor the fans (NFS fans are known to be as tribalized as Sonic ones) know the vision of what NFS should be. Though I feel if the drought kicks in, we're going to see "NFS was never good" videos sooner or later.

With Forza Horizon, The Crew and the return of TDU, I think it would be a good idea that if a new NFS is released, it will completely change its focus and try to fill the void left by PGR and Driveclub.
Leave the open world concept and offer something more direct, choosing a car, circuit and go racing.
They wont because an nfs like this would easily get shot down by streamers and influencers

Last edited:
They wont because an nfs like this would easily get shot down by streamers and influencers
You're probably right.

But NFS 2015, Payback, Heat and Unbound they don't offer anything special.
The only thing that has caught my attention about all those games, is the graphic style of Unbound.

But Automodellista years ago with its cell shading made things much better and still looks amazing today.

If the next NFS will follow the line of the last games, will continue behind Forza and The Crew. They would have to carry out a radical change that draws people's attention.

They have been looking for the teenage audience for years, but EA doesn't realize that those teens prefer Forza, The Crew and GTA online. With that approach NFS has been left in no man's land.

I think there is a gap in the market for those who want a more serious arcade game.

And that is the reason why I say that takes ideas from Driveclub or PGR and adapt them to NFS could be interesting.

Almost immediately after this, the #WeWantNFS movement sprung up due to fears that they might not see new NFS games for few years to come. Thoughts?

That being said, I feel that neither EA nor the fans (NFS fans are known to be as tribalized as Sonic ones) know the vision of what NFS should be. Though I feel if the drought kicks in, we're going to see "NFS was never good" videos sooner or later.
The series really needs to die. Its out of ideas and has been spiralling into irrelevancy for years. The only thing thats keeping it alive is Underground nostalgia baiting.

They have been looking for the teenage audience for years, but EA doesn't realize that those teens prefer Forza, The Crew and GTA online. With that approach NFS has been left in no man's land.
Do you have any numbers as a base for this especially The Crew 2/MF beeing more relevant/selling more games than NFS 2015/Heat/Unbound?

I play the NFS Series since 1998 and i do not care about Underground or MW i had fun with all the NFS games and in fact NFS 2015 was my "Underground 3".

My favourits are Pro Street, Carbon.

And no the series needs not to die i sill like it very much 😎

Last edited:
You're probably right.

But NFS 2015, Payback, Heat and Unbound they don't offer anything special.
The only thing that has caught my attention about all those games, is the graphic style of Unbound.

But Automodellista years ago with its cell shading made things much better and still looks amazing today.

If the next NFS will follow the line of the last games, will continue behind Forza and The Crew. They would have to carry out a radical change that draws people's attention.

I think there is a gap in the market for those who want a more serious arcade game.

And that is the reason why I say that takes ideas from Driveclub or PGR and adapt them to NFS could be interesting.

I agree with the PGR and Driveclub formula. Ever since Evo studios shut down. Plus PGR hasnt been seen since 2007.

The void of these semi-arcade games in cities or beautiful natural landscapes is missing a lot.

Nfs shift series and NFS pro street was a good thing.

Nfs high stakes and nfs 3 all have that formula to bring pgr of driveclub back.

The problem is everybody wants open world and muh customisation.

Can you imagine an NFS in beautiful landscapes along with a variety of cars from USA, Europe and Asia.

From hatch backs, jdms, exotics, hypercars, concept cars and classics. Seriously its worth the potential. We dont need open world and customisation for everything.

Wow, so empty here...

I had been reading a lot of threads here about NFS and especially Unbound and I thought I might share my opinion on this game as well as the recent NFS franchise in general:

I love this game...a lot. It tried to be something new and different; the style and art direction is awesome and the urban culture of racing is also pretty cool too. From the gameplay loop in Single Player, to the more, creating that perfect car just by winning lots of races and upgrading in Multiplayer. The handling is still very Burnout-like arcadey, which I have always loved (yes, I am a Brake to Drift lover in this series). Almost everything about this game is a solid 9/10 for me and it was actually my GOTY for me back in 2022. The only big issue I have with the game is Multiplayer not having quick races, which was a feature in HP2010 that haven't been back for some reason; making me have to wait for a full lobby which very rarely happens and that facing against only 1 or 2 people is just not fun. But overall, I had a fantastic time with it. About as much as Heat.

The reason why I wanted to share my thoughts on this is because Racing games nowadays seem to lean towards the more grounded and realistic side of things that even other Arcade Racers like The Crew or Grid have gone down with. I have always loved the wacky and crazy racing games like OutRun, Burnout, Ridge Racer, Midnight Club, Blur, and Project Gotham Racing, where realism gets thrown out of the window. Where drifting plays a huge part in races instead of being a disadvantage like the more sim or simcade games do. I don't want to fully Grip in a race and I don't want a game where Drifting is only fro Drift Events. But sadly, those games of that era are a thing of the past, as what one told me.

Need for Speed however, has kept that same magic that I have missed so much in arcade racers nowadays. The recent games may not be what older fans wanted out of the series, but I wasn't really interested a good amount of those Black Box games since they're too focused on Grip handling all the time in races while Drifting is only in Drift Events. The newer games let's me customize the cars' handling however I want and they're perfect for me. NFS had been the arcade racer to capture that silly and wackiness of those others from the 2000s and early 2010s. It's been a franchise I look forward to when the game game comes in.

So, it's really sad to see that some people would rather let this franchise die because NFS now wasn't like NFS back in the 2000s and everyone who grew up with those times had been doom and gloom for over a decade about the series "never going back to it's roots", which I do understand, but that's like asking a new development to to copy exactly what the older devs done and expect something great from it, when that's just not the case. Criterion/Ghost stick to what they're already best at. While I agree that they should have been sticking with Burnout instead, I never minded that NFS had eventually became Burnout's spiritual successor. For that, is why the games had been goofy fun and enjoyable to me every time I decided to try each one of them out.

If NFS dies, I pretty much have nothing in the arcade racing genre except for Indie games. Which are very rare nowadays. Yes, I am aware The Crew and Forza Horizon still exists, but again, they're more grounded and leaned more into being realistic, even though The Crew got Nitrous. Feeling like a Debbie Downer now when I look back at the amount of those games we had and now they're gone. I really just don't want NFS to go down that path of being a thing of the past either.

For the 30th anniversary of the NFS franchise, a Year Two Roadmap for Unbound has been revealed, marking the return of Audi and game modes inspired by past NFS titles:

View attachment 1329952
Seems like this game will be a testbed for features that will be in the next game.
That's great news. I hope they ditch this handling model for the next one and go for PC3/Grid type of handling. EA owns all of those, so it might be possible.

The handling is the reason I keep coming back to this game and is the reason it is my favorite racing game of the last couple of years. I hope they keep it as the standard going forward.

Great to see this game getting more content and a new lease on life. EA seems to be changing how they treat their games. 2042 is going in on its third year as well.

Seems like this game will be a testbed for features that will be in the next game.
That's great news. I hope they ditch this handling model for the next one and go for PC3/Grid type of handling. EA owns all of those, so it might be possible.
I hope not. NFS is like the only pure Arcade racer in the market. You have a lot of other games for that. Let NFS be it's own thing instead of trying to be more like the others.

EDIT: Totally forgot Hot Wheels Unleashed 2 exists, but that game was unfortunately forgotten and lacked a lot of options to set up for multiplayer, such as private lobbies and keeping players in a public lobby after a race instead of disbanding everyone. There's also LEGO 2K Drive, but the monetization is too much to ignore since it's all on your face.

Last edited:
Just got in the game again since it's on PS Plus Extra (I finished the game last year but it was on a different region disc from a friend).

Is it just me or did they tweaked the handling a bit? The cars are more satisfying to drive now especially the old muscle cars.

Unbound Handling with 2015 vibes and stance tuning would be so cool IMO

Last edited:
New update is here! Very excited for PvP Quick Races and the progression has been improved for those who just want to play Single Player. Am curious about the new handling for the Audi vehichles. I herd they feel a lot different compared to the other cars, so we might get an updated handling model like what Ivory Tower had done with The Crew 2.
RDT_20240227_08573273609920131997294.png
RDT_20240227_0857341723583365689891222.png

Back