Need for Speed Unbound - General Discussion

• Thread starter Famine
  • 739 comments
Looking at pictures and videos online, the game looks really good. Too bad the free trial is practically unplayable on pc since you can't rebind the controls, unless you've buy the game and rebind them on Steam. I went to choose the Countach for my starter and somehow I ended up with the Charger because of how awful the mapping is on my Xbox controller 😣

Welp, I guess I'll wait for a sale to play it... man that's frustrating.

Looking at pictures and videos online, the game looks really good. Too bad the free trial is practically unplayable on pc since you can't rebind the controls, unless you've buy the game and rebind them on Steam. I went to choose the Countach for my starter and somehow I ended up with the Charger because of how awful the mapping is on my Xbox controller 😣

Welp, I guess I'll wait for a sale to play it... man that's frustrating.

Is it me, or is this game hard even on the easy difficulty? I hardly won any race and feel like I'm missing something.

Is it me, or is this game hard even on the easy difficulty? I hardly won any race and feel like I'm missing something.
I play on challenging, but the game is designed to make it tricky to win, especially if your car is rated a few points below the fastest cars in race events.

It is also worth noting there is no requirement to finish first in most races, although you will want to earn more than the entry fees and win side bets.

My advice would be to try getting your cars to the top of their class as soon as possible. Prioritise upgrading your garage to make buying performance parts easier if necessary.

It is quite difficult at times, yes. You really have to align your expectations with your car level in this one. Don't get into high heat levels with low level cars, and don't expect to finish 1st in each race unless you're close to the top of the performance class. It means you need to plan each day out to get the most cash vs. heat but I'm quite enjoying that.

I will say though that the drift and takeover events are super easy, so far I've basically doubled the gold score on every single one.

On top of that, don't view the career as a car collecting thing. Pick a car for each class and tweak/max it according to your playstyle. If you have money left after that, spend it on stuff you like (styling, other cars, etc.). In my first playthrough I made some sub-optimal decisions, which left me repeating the Friday. After my restart, that never happened and I have plenty cash to spare.

At the moment I prefer road-oriented cars with about 25% drift. They stick well enough, but can drift through sharp corners to gain a nitrous boost easily as well.

You can actually do it? :eek:
Maybe I should think about getting this game at some point then

Yea, you also can adjust steering sens, downforce, car setup grip > drift (range depending on the tuning parts), traction control. Basically what you had in NFS Heat + some New/Refined things :)

Yea, you also can adjust steering sens, downforce, car setup grip > drift (range depending on the tuning parts), traction control. Basically what you had in NFS Heat + some New/Refined things :)
The great thing is that you can do this from the map, not just in the garage. So you can change the balance between grip <-> drift right before entering an event. Or if you prefer driving with drift off, enable it before going into a drift event and disable it when you're done. Etc. etc. The only thing missing here is being able to save/load setups (afaik at least).

If I had to guess, it's probably at least partially due to (according to GameRiot) EA not handing out review copies of the game before launch.
That's kinda sketch, guess they were trying to avoid bad press for a game they barely marketed.

LOL, I only just realised that you can evade a chopper by standing still and turning off your engine. :lol: Cars work too, but if they get too close they will still see you.

So I didn't get too far in the trial, but do more visual tuning options unlock as you go through the game and progress, or does the Countach just not have any? There was barely anything to choose from on it aside from some side mirrors and a couple side skirts, and I'm wondering if it's like the last couple games where only the typical tuner fodder has tons of options, or if you have to earn/buy upgrades for the really wacky stuff to appear.

So I didn't get too far in the trial, but do more visual tuning options unlock as you go through the game and progress, or does the Countach just not have any? There was barely anything to choose from on it aside from some side mirrors and a couple side skirts, and I'm wondering if it's like the last couple games where only the typical tuner fodder has tons of options, or if you have to earn/buy upgrades for the really wacky stuff to appear.
No matter what your starter car is, there's almost nothing available until it's... lost.

Also the plot is...

931264.gif

No matter what your starter car is, there's almost nothing available until it's... lost.

Also the plot is...

View attachment 1213398
Yeah, I figured the first bit is just a prologue (gotta have that Hollywood redemption arc, after all) and I wouldn't be allowed to keep a ride that hot from the start. Just seemed rather odd that even if you actually couldn't buy the most absurd stuff, they'd at least let you look at it as a teaser of just how wild you could go.

Considering that prologue bit is all of what most trial players are gonna play through before making their decision, that should have been where they really sell the whole customizing angle to convince people to buy in.

The great thing is that you can do this from the map, not just in the garage. So you can change the balance between grip <-> drift right before entering an event. Or if you prefer driving with drift off, enable it before going into a drift event and disable it when you're done. Etc. etc. The only thing missing here is being able to save/load setups (afaik at least).
That's REALLY good to know. This might just be the thing that gets me to buy this game, as strange as it might sound.

So, what happens if you don't meet the requirements for the end of each week?
This is where it gets a bit weird. :lol:

You get to repeat the Friday until you meet the requirements.

It works but it feels like a weird design.

Took a bit of a break from this (too many games out and I'm abusing my new wheelstand :lol: ) and I've just made it to the qualifier...only to be relegated to a Foxbody because there's an entry requirement.

Why?

I spent all of that time and money upgrading my ND and now I can't use it? Or the Exige I just snagged? Ugh.

Took a bit of a break from this (too many games out and I'm abusing my new wheelstand :lol: ) and I've just made it to the qualifier...only to be relegated to a Foxbody because there's an entry requirement.

Why?

I spent all of that time and money upgrading my ND and now I can't use it? Or the Exige I just snagged? Ugh.
What's the requirement? I'm using my Exige for racing and my 240Z for drift and showcase events, but I was hoping to use the Exige for the Qualifier too!

What would be the not weird design ? Game Over ?
Explained that a couple of posts earlier already: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...laystation-5-xbox-series.412999/post-13898198

The time limit makes no sense if you can just repeat Friday until eternity. It's a useless mechanic in its current form that only adds extra overhead.

Why?

Not being able to sell parts and the career being not too gracious with credits means you can totally find out your car doesn't work for the qualifier.....in the friggin' qualifier itself. Ask me how I know. :lol:

I was easily winning in the first two, but the third one kicked my arse when using my Boss 302. So had to switch to my Evo, which I had specced for the tier below the one for Q3 (A+). Respecced my 302 for A+ (was S) and respecced the Evo to S. Cost me a lot of money and having to repeat Friday.

Back