Neo-classical Competition Car Choice and Setup

• Thread starter coyb20
  • 142 comments
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Cubiziod
Hey all,

I‘ve done the Hypercar and Gr.1 Cafe Menu Books but am struggling to find cars that would work in the Neo-classical Competition. I have tried the Supra Gt500 and I cant get setup done right for that if im honest. Any advice would be appreciated for cars that fit the criteria (along with setups) and are ideally below 1,000,000 although I appreciate that’s hard with the current costs.

Thanks a lot!

You could try that Supra w/big turbo on easy difficulty. Your gonna need a BIG GUN for hard though. I used this below

Gran Turismo® 7_20220915013749.jpg
Gran Turismo® 7_20220915013650.jpg
Gran Turismo® 7_20220915013710.jpg

Porsche 962, Sauber C9 or any of the other Group 1 cars will give you an easy win. For set ups I tend to find Praiano's tunes in the tuning section suit my driving style so they also help...

Do you own the R92CP?

R92CP on RH with a bit of ballast and/or Power Restrictor should be a wrap. If you run it right, you won't even need to pit.
I made the mistake firstly of entering with the 'recommended' car, only to find most of the AI were in Gr 1 cars!

I've since been running the R92CP, but couldn't get higher than 4th at RBR - top 3 also no stopped, and fastest lap time usually 5 seconds faster than mine! Had to wait for the win until a really wet race, when I got the tyre strategy right, and the AI got it completely wrong 🙂

I made the mistake firstly of entering with the 'recommended' car, only to find most of the AI were in Gr 1 cars!

I've since been running the R92CP, but couldn't get higher than 4th at RBR - top 3 also no stopped, and fastest lap time usually 5 seconds faster than mine! Had to wait for the win until a really wet race, when I got the tyre strategy right, and the AI got it completely wrong 🙂

Seems to be the case for me, too. 3rd place was my best result so far. No really wet race, and the AI drivers just do a no-stopper.

I used the Escudo for those races and just kept everything stock except for a power restrictor. It was pretty easy and I felt I should have used a different car.

How often did you have to pit?
I can't recall because I completed them when they came out. I don't think it was an issue if I remember correctly because they were all one and done. That may be different now because of updates.

What I do most of the time is figure out my pit strategy is on the first part of lap one of a race, I see how many laps I have to do vs. what the fuel map says and then I take into account how long my tires will last and do some quick math.

I can't recall because I completed them when they came out. I don't think it was an issue if I remember correctly because they were all one and done. That may be different now because of updates.

What I do most of the time is figure out my pit strategy is on the first part of lap one of a race, I see how many laps I have to do vs. what the fuel map says and then I take into account how long my tires will last and do some quick math.
Did you do them on easy? I can't imagine how you could win on hard while doing any pits, unless it's raining and the AI makes a few pit mistakes.. Especially without using a Gr. 1 car.

Last edited:
I'm still having trouble with the Neoclassical Challenge, especially at Willow Springs. Any recommendations for cars? I haven't been able to finish any higher than 8th at Willow.

I'm still having trouble with the Neoclassical Challenge, especially at Willow Springs. Any recommendations for cars? I haven't been able to finish any higher than 8th at Willow.
Porsche 962C is in Legend Cars for 1.6millli. Yet to take the plunge myself but could be a viable option after a few more Tokyos…

If you have any other Group C cars, I'd use them. I've always found the 962 to be the slowest of them.
I have all of them except the C9. I just can't keep up at Willow Springs. I have not tried Red Bull Ring though and I also didn't do well at Fuji. I'd take recommendations for any Group C tunes for this series.

I have all of them except the C9. I just can't keep up at Willow Springs. I have not tried Red Bull Ring though and I also didn't do well at Fuji. I'd take recommendations for any Group C tunes for this series.
Willow Springs is particularly difficult. The 787B is the best Group C car due to the fuel economy. This is the tune I used. The PP has changed recently. But you can still reach the 700pp limit by adjusting downforce levels.

Willow Springs is particularly difficult. The 787B is the best Group C car due to the fuel economy. This is the tune I used. The PP has changed recently. But you can still reach the 700pp limit by adjusting downforce levels.

Yeah, Willow is super hard. I haven't been able to get higher than 6th I think. And I am aware of the PP rejigging, that's why I can't figure out how to do this. And I did notice how the 787 has the best fuel economy. That definitely seems accurate.

This challenge is driving me crazy, I've waited months for the Group C cars to come back into the legends and when they finally arrive the PP calculation has been changed so much I can't keep up with anything on the straights because I have to add all much ballast and reduce the power to get under 800pp.

My best car so far is the 962, which was only 12 over the previous 800pp tune I found. The R92CP was around 3 seconds a lap slower around the RB Ring, and the MP4/4 was about 824pp when I applied a previous tune.

With the new PP calculations the Escudo is in a much much better position than it used to be. If you're having trouble with the Group C's then I would try the Escudo. Finally managed to at least get 2nd in all 3 races on Hard, as a low A/high B controller driver.

With the new PP calculations the Escudo is in a much much better position than it used to be. If you're having trouble with the Group C's then I would try the Escudo. Finally managed to at least get 2nd in all 3 races on Hard, as a low A/high B controller driver.
Dam, if that's the case I just wasted 5 million credits.

I'll give it a go later

Only Willow Springs left now…I’ll probably try it today. Does it stay dry the entire time, or is it like RBR and Fuji in terms of weather?

Only Willow Springs left now…I’ll probably try it today. Does it stay dry the entire time, or is it like RBR and Fuji in terms of weather?

How did you do RBR? My best was 3rd with the 787, but in my other attempts P1 pitted only once or not at all, always only light rain. Is it just a matter of how the weather is?

How did you do RBR? My best was 3rd with the 787, but in my other attempts P1 pitted only once or not at all, always only light rain. Is it just a matter of how the weather is?
Well I was in Praiano’s XJR-9. Not the best car, ton of understeer. Just pit as soon as you see rain on the radar, and refuel as well to save a two stop. The AI aren’t great in the wet, so should be a case of passing them easily, especially when held up by the backmarkers

Back