Network Protocol Error

• Thread starter BobK
  • 7 comments

BobK

Premium
United States
Massachusetts, USA
I occasionally get this error on Gt Planet, perhaps once a week. It's not really a problem because clicking the "retry" button usually works ad it's not a daily occurrence. Anyway it most recently happened in this thread.
GTPNetProtocolError.png

Strange error. That one is going to be very tough to diagnose.

I've been doing research and it could be anything from a Firefox bug, a faulty browser extension, "security" software, a misconfigured VPN or proxy server, or a router with buggy custom firmware. Could any of those apply to your case?

I'm using Firefox 65.0 on linux. The only addons I run are TrackMeNot and Adblock Plus. I'm not using a VPN or proxy server, my router is an off-the-shelf Verizon unit (can't speak for any of the other routers the packets go through of course). "Security"software wouldn't be an issue.

As I said it's not a big issue, it happens perhaps once a week and retrying succeeds. ButI'm curious.

I experienced the same error a few days ago on my laptop (Firefox 65, Windows 10, running Privacy Possum and HTTPS Everywhere), but it seems to have disappeared. GTPlanet was inaccessible on Chrome on the same machine, and also with Brave Browser on mobile (Android Pie, forgot which version of Chromium the browser is based on). I could access the website fine using mobile data on my phone, so I assumed that it was a problem with my network.

I experienced the same error a few days ago on my laptop (Firefox 65, Windows 10, running Privacy Possum and HTTPS Everywhere), but it seems to have disappeared. GTPlanet was inaccessible on Chrome on the same machine, and also with Brave Browser on mobile (Android Pie, forgot which version of Chromium the browser is based on). I could access the website fine using mobile data on my phone, so I assumed that it was a problem with my network.
Interesting. Some of the most thorough investigation of this error message which I've found (here) was inconclusive, but one user did speculate that the error message could be displayed erroneously by Firefox during a temporary loss of network connectivity. Your experience would seem to support that.

I just had this error happen to me and it was the first time for me ever.
However, I didn't have any disconnects or latency issues.

I am running FF 65.0.1 (Accuweather extension)
Win 10.

I get that on Reddit on occasion, but each time it simply happens when I get DC'd, and by the time my internet comes back, the problem goes.

I get that on Reddit on occasion, but each time it simply happens when I get DC'd, and by the time my internet comes back, the problem goes.
That seems to be the consensus from the troubleshooting thread I linked to previously:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/firefo...iolation-on-discourse-based-websites/97308/59

But since Firefox is throwing this error around (Corrupted Content) for any network level error that happens in a fetch inside a service worker my guess is that it’s a red herring for connectivity problems, aka the page wouldn’t load anyway but with a different error.

And until someone can give proper reproduction steps like I did above, it’s hard to come up with new hypothesis.

I also managed to repro this issue by setting Firefox to use a SOCKS 4 proxy while the proxy service is off, so it’s impossible to load the page. I get the same corrupted content error.

Latest Posts

Back