New 2020 Tesla Roadster

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT
raf6cpy8qocflnpjsa12.jpg

Elon Musk claims it'll have a top speed of 250+ mph. It'll have 620 mile range. 0-60 in 1.9 seconds, 8.9 sec quarter mile.

It looks like a future Porsche Cayman.

Dan

Am I the only one who thinks this car looks like the 2017 NSX?

The red color reminds me of the Valencia Red color from the NSX but the overall design reminds me more of the Porsche Cayman than anything else. Maybe the AMG GT. Could just be cause of the fastback profile.

As for the performance claims, depends on how much power the motors (I'm assuming multiple motors here) make. 0-60 in 1.9 is believable assuming it's at least as powerful as a P100D, and it's probably lighter.

Last edited:
Currently in a text chat with my BIL on this car - he already has a P90D, and also a DB11.

He's smitten, and will be in the phone to his dealer at 9am to put s deposit down. His question to me was 'Has Tesla just destroyed the Hypercar segment?'

I'm kind of meh at the moment.

The stats are incredible if it will actually do them. But so what? You can't really use that performance on the road with any frequency without ending up in jail.

It only destroys the segment if it actually drives properly. And they'll have to do an amazing job on that side to match some of the competition.

I just woke up and i was surprised to hear that.
But...
I always wondered one thing tho about Tesla's overall, i always thought that the typical owners of a Tesla are more wealthy, wannabe "tech savvy" that likes to buy all sorts of new smartphones and gadgets with plenty of features only for most of it to be not utilized. So i assume the only thing do owners do with a Tesla is enable that glorified cruise control and mess around with their phones and that it. What's the point of all these High Performance again?

Hey! Hey! Guys! Look over here! No, not at our huge losses and production struggles! Look at this shiny red thing! It's fast! Oh and hey, would you mind putting down a $50k-$250k deposit on one? We're a bit short on cash at the moment.

I just woke up and i was surprised to hear that.
But...
I always wondered one thing tho about Tesla's overall, i always thought that the typical owners of a Tesla are more wealthy, wannabe "tech savvy" that likes to buy all sorts of new smartphones and gadgets with plenty of features only for most of it to be not utilized. So i assume the only thing do owners do with a Tesla is enable that glorified cruise control and mess around with their phones and that it. What's the point of all these High Performance again?

On the face of it, my brother in law would fit your stereotype - early 40's, sold his IT company last year and made low 7 figures, has owned a Tesla (P90D) for the last 2 years and always has the latest Iphone/Ipad/PS/Xbox/OLED TV/electronic stuff.

But he's a proper petrol head... until a month ago he also owned a 991GT3... he just replaced it with a DB11. Plus he also owns 3 2 stroke karts.

So perhaps best not to stereotype people ;)

Hey! Hey! Guys! Look over here! No, not at our huge losses and production struggles! Look at this shiny red thing! It's fast! Oh and hey, would you mind putting down a $50k-$250k deposit on one? We're a bit short on cash at the moment.

SFT!!

If I had the money, I'd drown Musk in it just so he gets me one.
If this Roadster's stats are at least remotely true, then this thing is brilliance.
Would totally love to smoke drag-tuned cars in it, just to see their owners drop their jaw and keep whining "b-buh muh combustion engine sound". I'd take 10k of torque over any kind of combustion engine sound, thank you. Because torque gets me fast. And engine sound isn't.

Looks familiar... Don't know why though. This definitely came from nowhere, but it may be the best electric sports car ever produced.

I think it looks a lot like the Porsche Mission-E. Can't use that against the new Roadster, looks very sleek!

It looks like an updated Tommy Kaira ZZII, sans mirrors.
I didn't even notice it didn't have mirrors.

If I had the money, I'd drown Musk in it just so he gets me one.
If this Roadster's stats are at least remotely true, then this thing is brilliance.
Would totally love to smoke drag-tuned cars in it, just to see their owners drop their jaw and keep whining "b-buh muh combustion engine sound". I'd take 10k of torque over any kind of combustion engine sound, thank you. Because torque gets me fast. And engine sound isn't.

Well, I can believe the claimed 0-60 time of 1.9 seconds. The 8.9 second quarter and 250+ mph top end seem a bit more out there. Also, I doubt it'll really be making 10000 N•m of torque. Like how Audi claimed the original e-tron concept had 3319 lb ft when it was really around 5 or 600, probably battery limited or just bad math. Regardless, if Tesla's performance claims are true, the Roadster will annihilate anything south of a dedicated drag or land speed record vehicle. Tesla's claimed acceleration numbers verge into Formula One territory.

Someone, please buy me one.

I think it looks a lot like the Porsche Mission-E. Can't use that against the new Roadster, looks very sleek!

I was thinking Mission E crossed with Cayman. No doubt the Roadster will be faster than the Mission E, though the Mission E will probably compete more directly with the Model S.

Last edited:
It does and it doesn't make 10,000 lb ft of torque.

It makes 10k at the wheels. That figure (like literally every car) is multiplied by gearing, and isn't representative of its torque at the motors unless we know what the final drive ratio is.
What does the Société Française de Toxicologie have to do with this?...

It's all very well having ambition like this, but Elon Musk can talk some crap, can't he?

Chief executive Elon Musk also unexpectedly revealed a new Roadster, which he said would be "the fastest production car ever" made.

Well we'll see how far 'plus' 250 they get with that electric motor, eh?

He said riding in traditional cars would be like driving "a steam engine with a side of quiche".

Never felt this way while riding in any car.

Last edited:
It does and it doesn't make 10,000 lb ft of torque.

It makes 10k at the wheels. That figure (like literally every car) is multiplied by gearing, and isn't representative of its torque at the motors unless we know what the final drive ratio is.

What does the Société Française de Toxicologie have to do with this?...
It doesn't make 10000 lb ft at the wheels either. It's 10000 newton meters which is closer to only 7400 or so lb ft.

> gearing
> EV
...I think I'm missing something here.

Latest Posts

Back