New Codemasters Rally Title is DiRT Rally 2.0: Releases 26 February 2019

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 295 comments
Livestream:

• Tarmac looks very very wrong (I mean where is the grip?)
  • Car is sliding non-stop like in Dirt 4
  • It looks almost like it is simply running on gravel
  • Once more the aweful pivoting is present (which has been for years and it really starts to annoy me)
Oh boy....

For comparission

Like you said, that's how every Codemasters game has been since forever. Without the redeeming quality of Your Stage, I'm staying away from this one. There's no point when I could already get the same wonky driving experience but with endless variations of stages in Dirt 4.

To be fair, its still a work in progress. Judge the game when it is finished.

The fact that the cover is the Polo R5 WRC drived by Solberg and Camili during the Spanish Rally do you think it will be in DIRT Rally 2.0 ? :bowdown:

Last edited:
Sorry i didn't see it.. Nice also to see the C3 R5, i hope it will have the i20 also.. And more stage like Finland, Monte Carlo, Germany etc...

thats all sounds good but could that be just added to dirt 4 game or dirt rally ? why make new game just with tweaked handling i mean there wont be nothing more that would be worht new game title... it kinda sucks how fast they abandoned dirt 4, and then year later they will announce dirt 5 with updated stuff from dirt rally 2.0 ???

thats all sounds good but could that be just added to dirt 4 game or dirt rally ? why make new game just with tweaked handling i mean there wont be nothing more that would be worht new game title... it kinda sucks how fast they abandoned dirt 4, and then year later they will announce dirt 5 with updated stuff from dirt rally 2.0 ???
Codemaster was never the same again since the dirt era began. The only good games, which still lacked in content somehow too since then have been the first grid and dirt rally1, this last one also lacking content epicly stage wise, typical from codemasters.

All I'm seeing about this dirt rally 2 thing is dirt4 (for the use of stages form this game) with an updated handling model, and of course more arcade oriented too.

Isnt that what most game sequels are? You these guys still have to make money like the rest of us.

We don't know the ins and outs of the content yet. We haven't felt the cars new handling model yet or seen the new graphics engine running in front of us. Stage deformation is brand new to the series, the rallies will be all new to the series with brand new stages throughout. Dirt 4 has one of the most comprehensive rally car lists ever, a lot of big ones missing are through license restrictions and even then we will only know if they are missing when we see the full list.

It baffles me that there's so much discontent out there about this sequel. Dirt Rally is still arguably the top rally game this generation. When Dirt 4 was announced everyone was disappointed that we didn't get DR2 then. Now we get it and everyone's complaining again.

It baffles me that there's so much discontent out there about this sequel. Dirt Rally is still arguably the top rally game this generation. When Dirt 4 was announced everyone was disappointed that we didn't get DR2 then. Now we get it and everyone's complaining again.

If anything, it's the very vocal minority of VR users making their voices heard which is bringing down the overall sentiment towards DiRT Rally 2.0. From what I can see, the title is hitting all the right marks and hopefully the review scores will reflect that.

I'm actually looking forward to Dirt Rally 2.0 even though I'm not a rally game fan. It's the Rallycross that interests me the most.

If anything, it's the very vocal minority of VR users making their voices heard which is bringing down the overall sentiment towards DiRT Rally 2.0. From what I can see, the title is hitting all the right marks and hopefully the review scores will reflect that.

Certainly seems to change depending on where you look as well . Certainly a lot I'm looking forward to from it.

I mean, I am waiting for the game, but there is no denying that:

A: the EGO engine is reaching the absolute limit of what it can do, and even if it wasn't the case, the EGO engine has been long in the tooth for years and they desperately need to run with something new. Maybe getting Evolution into the fold would have helped, but lets just murder the studio for reasons *shrug*

And maybe most importantly, B: Codemasters has always had massive problems with post launch content, and in a world where such things are considered common place, it really doesn't show much confidence that Codemasters' mantra for the DiRT games is simply to **** it out into the world, make a single patch for 90 days, and ignore it until they invariably announce yet another game. Doesn't help that the vast majority of the vehicles that have been in the DiRT games have been in some form or another, used since the original DiRT nearly a decade ago.

DLC, if used correctly, can give people reason to pick up a game that they otherwise shelved. Codemasters does not seem to think that, and it's killing their ability to have casual players, and hell, maybe even a few sim racers, care about the game longer then maybe the 30 days or so they'll play it. This has been a worrying pattern going back to the original DiRT, and it makes me wonder when people are just going to be fed up with it and stop giving Codemasters the benefit of the doubt. I'm already very close to.

Thought CodeMasters had found their direction with Dirt Rally.Considering how Dirt 4 fared this should have confirmed what players wanted but no we are back to the Dirt series style of game looking at what has being released so far.Players spend big money on sim setups only to be fed arcade (Rally) games while tarmac gamers get the good stuff.Why do developers continue to think that rally fans don't deserve a fully fledged sim ?

I mean, I am waiting for the game, but there is no denying that:

A: the EGO engine is reaching the absolute limit of what it can do, and even if it wasn't the case, the EGO engine has been long in the tooth for years and they desperately need to run with something new. ....
I thought the Formula One series had managed massive improvements to the EGO engine, especially graphics and car physics.

Sure, it was pretty obvious reading between the lines that the tiny DiRT Rally 1 team simply didn't have the bandwidth to completely rewrite offroad physics and focused instead on modelling and plasters to fix the biggest problems, but I had been assuming DiRT 4 and it's bigger budget gave them the chance to rebuild big chunks of the engine, which can now be properly put to work on DR2.

Is that too optimistic of me?

I thought the Formula One series had managed massive improvements to the EGO engine, especially graphics and car physics.

Sure, it was pretty obvious reading between the lines that the tiny DiRT Rally 1 team simply didn't have the bandwidth to completely rewrite offroad physics and focused instead on modelling and plasters to fix the biggest problems, but I had been assuming DiRT 4 and it's bigger budget gave them the chance to rebuild big chunks of the engine, which can now be properly put to work on DR2.

Is that too optimistic of me?

Ultimately, we may never know. But I am taking a glass half empty approach - mainly because when it comes especially to post launch content, something that is to be expected in the gaming industry now and can be an effective tool and rebuilding hype and interest in a game, Codemasters has been woefully inadequete with it.

Thought CodeMasters had found their direction with Dirt Rally.Considering how Dirt 4 fared this should have confirmed what players wanted but no we are back to the Dirt series style of game looking at what has being released so far.Players spend big money on sim setups only to be fed arcade (Rally) games while tarmac gamers get the good stuff.Why do developers continue to think that rally fans don't deserve a fully fledged sim ?

Dirt Rally 2 is a sim.

Any news regarding dlc rallies?

Just watched most recent videos and i am a bit concerned for the tarmac experience which in dirt1 was all over the place.

Also seems wrc8 will be announced soon. Wrc7 was pretty food and all rallies is a big plus, especially compared to the very limited selection of dirt2

Any news regarding dlc rallies?

Just watched most recent videos and i am a bit concerned for the tarmac experience which in dirt1 was all over the place.

Also seems wrc8 will be announced soon. Wrc7 was pretty food and all rallies is a big plus, especially compared to the very limited selection of dirt2

WRC 7 was ok but only had 2 unique stages per rally one of which was extremely short generally. And the physics are some way below Dirt. Hopefully 8 can improve on those as 7 generally was quite fun. Just nowhere near Dirt levels .

Definitely looks good. I just hope the physics feel the same as Dirt Rally rather than Dirt 4. Jimmy Broadbent's going to a press event in the near future, so he'll definitely give us a good idea as how it compares

Some confirmations today:

Mitsubishi Evo 6 confirmed:
49807146_2345773732123803_7687965030373632701_n.jpg

Polo S1600 confirming the 1600 class returning and first in game image of the Camaro.
49616202_964470337083730_2239084201654642546_n.jpg

Images courtesy of Dirt Game Instagram and JorritVD at the codemasters forum.

The Super 1600 rallycross class was already confirmed: but none of the cars in it were known.

That brings the total number of cars to 30 (including the pre-order Porsche), still quite a few gaps in the list from DiRT 4 though, so I expect there are quite a few more familiar cars to be confirmed before we see anything new.

Back