"NEW FRIENDS"------I cant talk to.? :(

  • Thread starter Thread starter PAPAOSA
  • 24 comments
  • 1,804 views
Status
Not open for further replies.

PAPAOSA

Grammatically challenged
Premium
Messages
442
?
 
Last edited:
g'day mate...lol.


spyrrari.
 
Sup..:sly:your slang is spelt badly."FUNNY" isn't it that even though we both use the same"English" language in writing as a tool to communicate on 'this site'.But when I speak I sound like a 40 year'ol racecar lovin friggin ard work'n tradie!...:D"MATE"..dont take it to serious hey!!👍
 
we both use the same"English" language

That's a matter for debate. Trying to read your posts is like trying to sellotape water to a ghost.

Are you saying that many people on your Friends list don't speak English, or that many people on your Friends list don't speak Australian English?


spyrarri
g'day mate

Did you know that a law was passed three years ago that allows any Australian who has this said to them by a non-Australian to punch the perpetrator in the face while holding a craft knife?
 
I believe the mention of "tinnies" and "barbies" are also frowned upon, although I heard an Australian use the term "dunny man" the other day.
 




Did you know that a law was passed three years ago that allows any Australian who has this said to them by a non-Australian to punch the perpetrator in the face while holding a craft knife?


:O....


spyrrari.
 
Since when is Australian a language?
 
*Sharpening my craft knife*





(well, replacing the blade anyway)
 
Can't say I found that quite as funny as you did...
 
Since when is Australian a language?

Well........about 100yrs ago. Nah, just 🤬 loads of Australian slang.
 
That's a matter for debate. Trying to read your posts is like trying to sellotape water to a ghost.

:lol:

Harsh but unquestionably true :D
 
That's a matter for debate. Trying to read your posts is like trying to sellotape water to a ghost.

This is, almost undoubtedly, the most awesome thing that I've ever read!!!
 
From the first day the Divisions were posted it's been amazing the amount of new GTP_Friends that have wished to be one of a1P's *PSN(and GT Planet)-on line racing family...:) *some unfortunately for me don't speak Australian(On PS3 MSG&profile)Does any one know if there is some way I can translate this easily without changing language in consul settings then restarting game or :boggled:......Idont know something....????????Surely other Australian speaking users have had this same problem ...!!! 'CAN SOMEONE HELP.?'

I don't think you have translation tools available on the PS3 (never searched, but also never came across such a feature while browsing settings and definitions). However basic english is usually enough to be understood with players from all origins and native languages.

In my case, there's only one PSN friend that doesn't understand english. Luckily, I also have basic knowledge of french, so there's no problem.
 
Well........about 100yrs ago. Nah, just 🤬 loads of Australian slang.

Ah I see.. :) Nah, I was under the impression that it was being implied here that Australian is a language... Hence my question :dopey:
 
Ah I see.. :) Nah, I was under the impression that it was being implied here that Australian is a language... Hence my question :dopey:

Well, we have so much slang it almost is a language.:lol:
 
I think that the ones who wouldn't understand the Australian language in the first place are a bunch of non-thinking wankers anyway and would probably be found in any Sydney Harbor bar drinking a fat can of Fosters while the rest of the bar stares glaringly holding their warm Victoria Bitters in hand. I would have to wonder what the many words that would be used in a translator to define "Vegemite".

mmmmm... Vagi.. imean Vegemiite
 
To quote a certain famous Australian responding to the question "Sir, do you speak English?". Of course not, I'm bloody Australian.

Surely the question was just poorly worded and what the original poster really meant was is there a translator for other languages into English (and it's many variants). Yahoo's Babel-Fish is a good start although word-word style translations such as this can lead to comical results at times.

While Australian lingo can be obtuse to people in other countries every nation has certain unique words and phrases. I think it's just that American culture is so pervasive and well known world wide (largely through film and TV) that people in the US forget that there are cultures out there they've never been exposed to.

Personally I'm proud of my aussie (oz-zee) heritage and try and use as much of it as possible because I enjoy the blank puzzled stares I get from my mostly American co-workers :)
 
You want a real exercise on your brain? Try speaking to a Cockney or Glaswegian. You want your brain to go into self destruct mode and implode? Try speaking to a drunk Glaswegian... They will make speaking to an Aussie seem like every-day "normal" English!!!

I've become accustomed to understanding slang in many different English dialects from traveling quite a lot and from MMO communities. If there is a slang term in a dialect you don't understand: look it up. There is usually a slang dictionary for pretty much every English dialect. I can't really speak the slang, but I can at least make some sense of it.

As far as translating complete other languages go... I've found InterTran (TraneXP) to be the best. It gives a better result than Babelfish or others however, like any electronic translator I wouldn't rely on it as a holy grail. The [insert language] to English translation is quite good (for an electronic translator), but as far as from English into other languages goes it will still only give them a very rough translation. I find that the people speaking the language you're translating into can still make decent sense of what you're saying though (unlike Babelfish which seems to be absolute chaos for any language).

http://www.tranexp.com:2000/Translate/result.shtml
http://www.tranexp.com/intertran/linking.cgi
 
Last edited:
From the first day the Divisions were posted it's been amazing the amount of new GTP_Friends that have wished to be one of a1P's *PSN(and GT Planet)-on line racing family...:) *some unfortunately for me don't speak Australian(On PS3 MSG&profile)Does any one know if there is some way I can translate this easily without changing language in consul settings then restarting game or :boggled:......Idont know something....????????Surely other Australian speaking users have had this same problem ...!!! 'CAN SOMEONE HELP.?'

Does any one know if there is some way I can translate the above into English so that I can understand what he is trying to ask?
 
Sup..:sly:your slang is spelt badly."FUNNY" isn't it that even though we both use the same"English" language in writing as a tool to communicate on 'this site'.But when I speak I sound like a 40 year'ol racecar lovin friggin ard work'n tradie!...:D"MATE"..dont take it to serious hey!!👍

am from the north-east of england and i speak like this:

"alreet lad whats gannin on"
-alright lad whats going on
"i a na"
-yes i know

but i just type the proper words
 
Does any one know if there is some way I can translate the above into English so that I can understand what he is trying to ask?
Drink a pint.

Better make it two.
 
am from the north-east of england and i speak like this:

"alreet lad whats gannin on"
-alright lad whats going on
"i a na"
-yes i know

but i just type the proper words

Apropos of nothing, do you happen to own any "perple sherts"?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back