New Hard Drive Comming for PS2!

• Thread starter Ghostrider
  • 16 comments

Ghostrider

***Moderator***
Staff Emeritus
I just heard the 40GB Hard Drive has finally been released in Japan. Looks like it will be avaiable in the us in November.

What it does.

Of course it has the ability to store data on the Hard Drive, but the neat thing about it is the ability to temporarily place data on the Hard drives cach. ie it cuts down the load time for some upcoming games in the future. Developers will be making Hard Drive compatible games soon. (example Finial Fantasy X).

Not sure what the cost will be. :cool:

Not sure about that but I think you would for the saved games.

Some people may not buy the Hard Drive option.

i only got a basic internet connection through the telephone line and nothing else like cable is avaliable here, and even if it was i couldnt afford boths bills so i am wondering would you get use of the internet and online gaming and harddrive through an internet connection via phone line? i really hope so cause i cant afford a new comp to play good games online and i was hoping to do this with the ps2

so i am wondering would you get use of the internet and online gaming and harddrive through an internet connection via phone line?
Not really sure what your question is but the internet has nothing to do with a Hard Drive..:confused:

then how do you get games for the hard drive if you dont go online to download them i thought the whole idea of the hard drive was for internet use? and my other question was when ps2 turns to online gaming will you be able to do this with a standard phone line?

Here maybe this will help:

Various expansion ports have also been included for future peripherals and devices, and Sony has already announced plans for broadband connectivity and a hard drive. The broadband adapter will retail for $39.95 in November.

And while the Japanese PS2 model will require an external hard drive, the American unit has an internal hard drive bay. Sony must figure that this sort of constant revisionism, through hardware changes, add-ons, and software updates, will keep its system competitive when more-powerful systems debut further down the road. In fact, the PS2 may be the first system to shed the constraints of a video game console and become a full-fledged "set-top box."

The adapter will let PlayStation 2 owners move into the online console terrain with the V90 analog modem combined with high-speed Ethernet connection for high-speed, broadband readiness. The adapter will ship with a hard disk drive as well. Through previously announced agreements with AOL, Sony will provide AOL channels through the PlayStation 2, letting users access various features such as instant messaging. The Netscape browser will be available for PlayStation 2 as well. The adapter will retail for $39.95 in November

:)

Okay, we' had the Firewire and USB, and we're getting the hard drive and broadband. What about Linux? Are we gonna get THAT here in the US anytime soon?

PS2 better let me use that for my gaming needs! Because I highly doubt that Sony will have their own gaming network, didn't SEGA try doing that? Oh yeah, and look at them now.... D/\mn idiots..

Shoot, I clicked on this thread because I thought it said "New Hard driving coming to the PS2." That would be sweet though.

Originally posted by Tom McDonnell
Shoot, I clicked on this thread because I thought it said "New Hard driving coming to the PS2." That would be sweet though.
It does but as usual it got off the subject. :lol:

I was born off the subject.
To help get this baby back on the rails though, I did hear the terrible new that it wasn't really all that much faster than the DVD-rom drive.

It is supposedly bundled with the Ethernet card at that price though. Seperately it was either 100 or 150, I can't recall.

I am sure we will hear more on this soon!! :)

Gost.gif

Back