New Mars Lander to Touchdown Next Weekend

• Thread starter FoolKiller
  • 138 comments
Interesting.

Water on Mars does open up the possibility of long term "colonies" being viable.

And having traces present in the soil also opens up the possibiliy of finding life or the precursors of it or at least the fossilized remains of... something, buried somewhere under that soil.

Xenoarchaeology FTW! I've always wondered what's buried beneath the surface of Mars, or any other celestial body for that matter.

Maybe once we start digging on Mars we will find an artefact that shows us technology of an extinct race of aliens, which leads us to big relays in space. From this we contact other civilisations and join a galactic enterprise...wow that would make an excellent plot to a video game....oh wait.

If (that's a big "if") remnants of primitive lifeforms are found to exist on Mars, it would be fascinating to see if they were related biochemically to us Earthlings, were merely analagous (i.e. the same basic types of components, although chemically different) or if they were completely different to us altogether...

I'm guessing here, but I would have thought that life on Mars might look very familiar indeed - but whereas we can trace relatedness of all current species right back to our microbial ancestors via common descent, there would be no such connection to Martian life at all - i.e. a completely separate "genesis", physically unconnected to the genesis of life on Earth. But it could still look like Earth life, just fundamentally different... however, there is the possibility that Martian (or any other) life does share a deeper common ancestry to our own i.e. if primitive life forms arrived on multiple planets via comets etc., and then evolution produced vastly different trees of life to exploit the vastly different environments of vastly different planets... (and that's alot of 'vastly different').

But I'm of the opinion that biochemical commonality of life between different planets will be at an incredibly basic level, such that something as complex as a "gene" found on Earth is unlikely to be found anywhere other than Earth - although there would be analogous genes (even with identical functions and products)... for one thing, some of the most ancient proteins known to have evolved on Earth are Iron-Sulphur (Fe-S) proteins, which are almost certainly a throw-back to the days when prebiotic amino acid chains would bind to and form on Fe-S clusters in naturally occuring minerals, which may or may not be present on a planet like Mars... in other words, Earth itself has "made" the molecules of life that are present on Earth, hence why I'd be surprised if you found an Fe-S protein on a planet that didn't have Fe-S cluster-containing minerals. But you would probably find an analogous protein on another planet which did a similar thing, but maybe with a different mineral, one not present on Earth...

Or it could be that life is similar wherever it can arise - that Fe-S proteins are fundamental to life and thus only planets with Fe-S rich minerals can create biopolymers... but I doubt this highly. I reckon that life on Earth is just one of a near infinite ways in which life can arise, and to presume that all life must be Earth-like is IMO highly improbable...

I'm interested to see if Mars had methane in its environment, (I don't believe it does). Archeobiology reveals our planet was methane rich and archeobacteria once lived in this environment using methane as its energy source and could not survive in the oxygen rich atmosphere that we have today.

With all this speculation about 'life jumping' through meteoritic impact, and if life exists on Mars, it would be interesting to see if life started on Earth and 'jumped' over to Mars. Why is the reverse an exception? If bacteria is found, does it have link to our own throughout Earth's existence either 'then' or 'now.' Though, the probability of that is very low and highly unlikely given the hostile environment of meteors and the hospitable environments of planet surfaces. I still think life would have started independently of each other, that's if life exists/existed on Mars.

I'm guessing here, but I would have thought that life on Mars might look very familiar indeed

Well you do live in Glasgow...

I was reading that this water was "tasted" (from the BBC website). How so? Can the lander 'taste'?

Right, unless I'm missing something. That doesn't answer how it was "tasted"?

Or is it wrong that I am literally meaning this as being 'tasted'?

You'll undercover NASA's big secret if you're not careful.

The Martian lander is actually a Martian.

Right, unless I'm missing something. That doesn't answer how it was "tasted"?

Or is it wrong that I am literally meaning this as being 'tasted'?

When converted to steam, the sample can be analyzed for 'taste' based on the compound categorization for taste perception. We have the following;

Sweet - Sugars, saccharin, alcohols, some amino acids
Sour - Acids (dissociation of H+ in solution)
Salt - Metal ions (inorganic salts)
Umani - Amino acids (glutamate)
Bitter - Alkaloid (quinine, nicotine, caffeine, morphine) and non alkaloids (aspirin)

The steam passes over a probe membrane and uses a sensor probe assembly to detect organic and inorganic compounds. At the perceptual level, taste cognition happens not in the probe, but in the computer, where the "e-tongue's" statistical software interprets the probe membrane data into taste patterns.

Last edited:
The one problem with looking for life is whether the odds favored it. If Mars didn't have an ancient Earth environment long enough, then the most complex things we might find will be life precursor molecules.

Remember, it took nearly four billion years for life to develop here... Mars quite obviously didn't have liquid water quite that long.

I'm surprised nothing was mentioned about this. Apparently the lander has succumb to the Martian winter. I'm still very impressed with everything that the Phoenix lander has accomplished in it's short time on the red planet. Hopefully NASA will have several more successes there and I'll see a human walk on Mars.

CNN
Phoenix Lander silent; Mars mission over, NASA says
A dust storm and the onset of Martian winter have brought the Phoenix Mars Lander's mission to an end, NASA announced Monday.

"We are actually ceasing operations, declaring an end to mission operations at this point," project manager Barry Goldstein with NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory told reporters in a teleconference.

Mission controllers last heard from the vehicle on November 2.

Despite ongoing efforts to re-establish contact using NASA satellites in orbit around Mars, the spacecraft is silent.

"We'll constantly turn on the radio and try to hail Phoenix to see if it is alive, but at this point nobody on the team has any expectations of that happening," Goldstein said. "But we do hope the vehicle will surprise us once again."

The Phoenix team knew when it selected a landing site on Mars' arctic plain that the spacecraft would not survive a winter there. But researchers picked it anyway because satellite observations indicated vast quantities of frozen water were in that area, most likely in the form of permafrost.

They thought such a location would be a promising place to look for organic chemicals that would signal a habitable environment.

Phoenix landed on May 25 -- mid-summer in the Martian year -- and conducted five months of research, scooping up soil samples for analysis in onboard scientific instruments. The sun never sets on the arctic region during the summer, so the solar-powered craft had plenty of power for the first few months of its mission.

But a recent dust storm obscured the sunlight, and temperatures have dropped in recent weeks as the nights got longer and winter weather set in. The combination has caused the lander's batteries to drain.

"The situation we have experienced over the course of the last two weeks is exactly play-by-play what we had actually anticipated, although it was expedited by about three weeks by the dust storm," Goldstein said.

In the coming weeks, the sun will set for the season, and the long night of a polar winter will begin. Snow and advancing polar ice eventually will cover Phoenix.

Mission managers say they will attempt to reactivate Phoenix after next spring's thaw, but they caution it's extremely unlikely such efforts would be successful.

Over the course of the mission, scientists have learned a lot about the chemistry of the soil around the lander. They say it has a clumpy, clay-like consistency and is chocked full of salts. It also contains chemicals called perchlorates, which are toxic to humans but conceivably could be used as an energy source by certain microbes.

So far, researchers have not found the organic chemicals they were seeking, but say they intend to keep analyzing their data.
advertisement

"I'm still holding out hope here," said Phoenix principal investigator Peter Smith, of the University of Arizona. "It's really a question of what is the truth on Mars, and we're trying to make sure we get the right answer here and not come rushing out with a quick analysis. This is really tricky stuff."

NASA's next mission to the planet is the Mars Science Laboratory, a large, nuclear-powered rover designed to traverse long distances with a suite of onboard scientific instruments. It is scheduled to launch next summer, though ongoing technical problems may require a postponement to 2011.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/space/11/10/nasa.mars.lander/index.html?iref=newssearch

Bummer, would be cool if it was revived in the spring though.

I do have a few worries about a nuclear powered rover going up, take-off and landing should be abit of a nail biter. But if I wanted anyone mess around with explosives and nuclear material, it'd have to be NASA.

Bummer, would be cool if it was revived in the spring though.

I do have a few worries about a nuclear powered rover going up, take-off and landing should be abit of a nail biter. But if I wanted anyone mess around with explosives and nuclear material, it'd have to be NASA.

Yeah. All the lovely bacteria would be irradiated and we would set back life on Mars another couple million years.

Wouldn't it be cool though if intelligent life on Mars came to be and they would start discovering all of our crap on their planet and reverse engineer everything from the "Earth gods".

Nominee for the most-useless-post-of-the-thread category:

So, is Google Mars gonna put this in their map? :sly:

Damn, they did!

Go to Google Earth, pick Explore, Mars from the View menu, and find Rovers and Landers in the Mars Gallery.

At the time i made the sarcastic comment above, google Mars was not very complete. It's been updated since I saw it last!

Back