New pics of the 5; Page 6

  • Thread starter Thread starter McLaren
  • 111 comments
  • 5,026 views

McLaren

Premium
Messages
46,776
United States
Texas
Today was a good day to kick off December.

A lot of you do not know, but lately, I've been looking for a new car to lease. I had originally intended to trade the 330 in for a 335i. Of course, that was until I saw my payments at $820/month. I was already paying $737 for the 330, and didn't want to go higher. So, I shopped around. I looked at the CTS, the G37 S, and even the ES, GS, & IS from Lexus. Out of these, I was only given the payments on the GS at $806/month. A tad high. I went to Park Place Porsche to check on Cayman leases. They BS'ed me with $1,000+ payments per month and $1,200+ payments on a bare stock 911 Carrera. Shoot, I could lease a used Viper or SL for that much. And if I wanted to, barely afford a used 360 Modena at $1,600/month. This was with a 60 month, 12K Miles/Year lease though, and I couldn't afford the maintenance on the Ferrari, Viper, or Merc. anyways, even if I let the TL go. So, I went and looked at Jaguar. I looked at 2 2005 XKR's and 1 2006 XK8. I couldn't afford any of the 3, even with $860/month on the XK8. Thus, I was still in search.

Today though, I decided I'd go to Classic 1 last time to check for any incentives on a 3. Zero. I couldn't even afford a 335i on $770/month. But I did remember ads about leasing a certain BMW for $545 per month. So, I talked with the dealer, and found out that instead of doing that deal (which required $7K down), I could lease said car for a reasonable price.
My agent took me out on a test drive, showed me everything, and I fell in love with the car. We worked out a plan, and tonight at 5:12PM, I drove home in my new BMW while only having to pay $707/month for the next 4 years.

Now, a few of you know what the car is, but I'll let the rest try to take a guess at the model. Tomorrow, I'll reveal the model. This way, I can actually show her off with the sun out instead of in the garage. :)
 
Probably a 6-series if I were to guess. If so I have to see it in the metal. If its a regular 5 or 7 series I hope you at least got a good color and some M wheels.

*edit*
Oh, I would of bought an SL Merc...but that's just me. Such a brlliant looking car even in the 550/500 base trim.
 
I'm gonna say this before YSSMAN:


AAAAAARGH YOU SHOULDA BOUGHT A CTS

:D


That aside, I'm sure its a wonderful car, BMW's are great.


528xi? A leftover 545i?
 
While I would have been pulling for the CTS regardless, I loves me some BMW no matter what (well, except the X3 and X6), so I can completely understand the decision to go with the Bravarian.

My guess?

The payments seem pretty low for a BMW, so my guess is that its a 5-er... Either a 528i or a 545i...
 
Pocket change :rolleyes:.

:lol:


My dad must put down alot of money, he drives his TL for $430 a month! :crazy: We wanted an A6, but that went above 600.
 
A 630d? :p
 
I actually know, but I'll let him tell you guys. :p One of you have guessed correctly.

Congrats. :cheers:
 
Yep, I know too. ;)

Congrats on the upgrade. :cheers:
 
Today was a good day to kick off December.

A lot of you do not know, but lately, I've been looking for a new car to lease. I had originally intended to trade the 330 in for a 335i. Of course, that was until I saw my payments at $820/month. I was already paying $737 for the 330, and didn't want to go higher. So, I shopped around. I looked at the CTS, the G37 S, and even the ES, GS, & IS from Lexus. Out of these, I was only given the payments on the GS at $806/month. A tad high. I went to Park Place Porsche to check on Cayman leases. They BS'ed me with $1,000+ payments per month and $1,200+ payments on a bare stock 911 Carrera. Shoot, I could lease a used Viper or SL for that much. And if I wanted to, barely afford a used 360 Modena at $1,600/month. This was with a 60 month, 12K Miles/Year lease though, and I couldn't afford the maintenance on the Ferrari, Viper, or Merc. anyways, even if I let the TL go. So, I went and looked at Jaguar. I looked at 2 2005 XKR's and 1 2006 XK8. I couldn't afford any of the 3, even with $860/month on the XK8. Thus, I was still in search.

Today though, I decided I'd go to Classic 1 last time to check for any incentives on a 3. Zero. I couldn't even afford a 335i on $770/month. But I did remember ads about leasing a certain BMW for $545 per month. So, I talked with the dealer, and found out that instead of doing that deal (which required $7K down), I could lease said car for a reasonable price.
My agent took me out on a test drive, showed me everything, and I fell in love with the car. We worked out a plan, and tonight at 5:12PM, I drove home in my new BMW while only having to pay $707/month for the next 4 years.

Now, a few of you know what the car is, but I'll let the rest try to take a guess at the model. Tomorrow, I'll reveal the model. This way, I can actually show her off with the sun out instead of in the garage. :)
How many miles do you get on your $707/m lease?
 
What are the advantages of leasing over buying overall?

Is it a 135i?
 
I would doubt that, in comparaison to the other cars he has looked at.
My guess is a 545i or 650ci.
 
Or an e46 M3.
 
Or an e46 M3.

Doubt it no one in their right mind would pay 700 a month to lease a 2nd hand M3 for the next 4 years. Plus I think he has had one of them already.
 
Today is tomorrow, where the hell is Mclaren...
 
I'm late to the party, but can someone explain this guy's apparent ability to buy BMW's at 20?
 
I'm late to the party, but can someone explain this guy's apparent ability to buy BMW's at 20?
That job he lists in his profile must pay pretty well.
 
Leasing a car is a poor financial move, leasing a car for $700 a month is a really poor financial move. You can get a fairly decent car, like buying it out right, for about $500 per month and after 6 years you own that car.

But like others have said how do you afford this? I'm 20 and all I can really afford is the $145 per month payment on the Mini. Granted I had investments already so I had some money. But seriously $700 a month and you won't even own the car? Do you parents give you money or something?

Oh and as customary on GTP when you do show us your new car can you take a picture with a sign that says "I love John Bergin to bits" or the car with a bowl a mashed potatoes?
 
McLaren, how many miles/year are you getting with this lease? What terms are you on for purchase after four years with your dealer?

And also, dude, aren't you paying out of your ass for insurance?

If never understood the whole private lease thing. It has bad economics written all over it.
 
Some quick shots this morning. The wind has picked up, so I kept it in the garage.
1004171fy3.jpg

1004172bh4.jpg

f_1004173m_f7c3a5a.jpg

f_1004174m_b9223df.jpg

f_1004175m_d0f1fae.jpg

f_1004183m_ec0e64c.jpg

f_1004185m_2cb00e9.jpg

f_1004186m_aca62c0.jpg
 
No offence, I like the car. But you're 20? And you're paying out the ass so you can drive the same car my grandfather drives? Surely we can find you a better car for $707/month. More suitable for a 20 year old. Or do you also drive like my grandfather?

Disclaimer: my grandfather does not actually drive a BMW 528. In fact he drove a Jaguar but now he's dead and drives nothing.
 
How many miles do you get on your $707/m lease?
$12K.

Congrats. Now change your sig!
I'm actually still in the market for 1, but I will be changing it since I probably won't be looking for one til' June.

What are the advantages of leasing over buying overall?

Is it a 135i?
Leasing is just easier for me. But the 1 Series doesn't arrive til' Spring here.

Doubt it no one in their right mind would pay 700 a month to lease a 2nd hand M3 for the next 4 years. Plus I think he has had one of them already.
Nobody would, but that doesn't stop the dealer from trying. I was given a projected $648/month for 60 months and I walked away easily. Too much money for a used car.
I'm late to the party, but can someone explain this guy's apparent ability to buy BMW's at 20?
Loans & inheritance.

Leasing a car is a poor financial move, leasing a car for $700 a month is a really poor financial move. You can get a fairly decent car, like buying it out right, for about $500 per month and after 6 years you own that car.
Unless you can find a way for me to lease my car at $500 a month, I'm happy with my decision. I apologize first off, as it is a 3 year, not a 4 year. That was my mistake of typing too fast. However, a lot of the cars I looked at where all giving me 60 month lease terms where I would be better off just buying the car.

For example, if I can remember correctly, Jaguar offered me a 2005 XK8 Conv. @ $55,000. For 5 years, I could lease it at $892/month. Now, why would I do that? That means I end up paying $53,520 in lease payments, and would be better off just buying the car.

But like others have said how do you afford this? I'm 20 and all I can really afford is the $145 per month payment on the Mini. Granted I had investments already so I had some money. But seriously $700 a month and you won't even own the car? Do you parents give you money or something?
As I said before, loans & inheritance keeps me out of the dark. The job I normally do around here (wash boats) helps to a degree, but since it's winter, no is boating. Thus, I end up doing a small bit of work for a relative if I can.
Oh and as customary on GTP when you do show us your new car can you take a picture with a sign that says "I love John Bergin to bits" or the car with a bowl a mashed potatoes?
Will do. :)

McLaren, how many miles/year are you getting with this lease? What terms are you on for purchase after four years with your dealer?
12K miles/year for 3 years. As I said earlier, it was my mistake typing 4. It's a 3 year. :ouch:
And also, dude, aren't you paying out of your ass for insurance?
Way....If I didn't have the inheritance of my parents, I would be out on the streets.
If never understood the whole private lease thing. It has bad economics written all over it.
It might, but it's worked for me so far.
 
No offence, I like the car. But you're 20? And you're paying out the ass so you can drive the same car my grandfather drives? Surely we can find you a better car for $707/month. More suitable for a 20 year old. Or do you also drive like my grandfather?

Disclaimer: my grandfather does not actually drive a BMW 528. In fact he drove a Jaguar but now he's dead and drives nothing.

I respect your view, but there isn't really another car I want. I've always been a BMW fan since my mother's 5 from the early 90's, and the deal on this was too good to pass up. Sure, I could have bought a Subaru or some Mustang, but I had to take in account the reliability and dealership service here. Classic has been a treat to do business with, and I really don't get the same satisfaction or consumer service at most of the other dealers unless they sell extremely high-priced cars. I looked at many cars like the Impreza & Lancer, but I never test drove any of these cars just because of the way I was treated at the dealer. I honestly, did not want to buy a Honda Accord V6 and get treated like crap every time I went in to the dealer.
 
I respect your view, but there isn't really another car I want. I've always been a BMW fan since my mother's 5 from the early 90's, and the deal on this was too good to pass up. Sure, I could have bought a Subaru or some Mustang, but I had to take in account the reliability and dealership service here. Classic has been a treat to do business with, and I really don't get the same satisfaction or consumer service at most of the other dealers unless they sell extremely high-priced cars. I looked at many cars like the Impreza & Lancer, but I never test drove any of these cars just because of the way I was treated at the dealer. I honestly, did not want to buy a Honda Accord V6 and get treated like crap every time I went in to the dealer.

As soon as it arrives in the states, I'd switch to a 1-series if I were you.

check.gif
Cheaper
check.gif
More fun
check.gif
Sexy in white!

1series_3door_2007.jpg


Concerning the treatment you get at dealerships, you have to understand they get a lot of people our age asking for test drives. Not a lot of 20 year olds buy BMW's or EVOs. :sly:
 
As soon as it arrives in the states, I'd switch to a 1-series if I were you.

check.gif
Cheaper
check.gif
More fun
check.gif
Sexy in white!

1series_3door_2007.jpg


Concerning the treatment you get at dealerships, you have to understand they get a lot of people our age asking for test drives. Not a lot of 20 year olds buy BMW's or EVOs. :sly:

I really wanted to look at the 1 Series. I was even offered to extend my 330 lease til' they came out. However, 2 problems arose. 1, the dealer had a bunch on order, so there were actually going to be some premiums of "unknown value". 2ndly, I am really only interested in the 135i, but due to the demand of the vehicle there, I was also looking at $800/lease minimum. Any other model was of also "unknown value". I was ready for change anyway, but since I'll be looking for a track car next summer, they'll be first on the list to look at.

As for the dealers, I understand completely. But still, I specifically told them I was in the market for a new car, and it wasn't the fact they wouldn't let me drive the cars, it was just that they didn't care. I was ignored for 10 minutes at Honda, & both the Mitsu/Subaru dealers just wanted to talk payments first. Hey buddy, let me drive, then I'll decide. That wasn't including the fact some of the dealers were also adding crap I didn't want on the car, or would be double-dipping me. 👎 I might go back in the summer, but I'll be making a decision on the cars depending on the dealer's first impression by then.
 
Don't we wish we could all tell our agent that...? :rolleyes:

I'll rephrase.

There really isn't another car I want that I can afford besides a BMW. :p
 
Back