New player with some questions

• Thread starter Neris__
  • 18 comments
Poland
Poland
Hello.

So I was watching for some time Gran Turismo Sport videos and streams. I liked it so much that 2 weeks ago I bought PS4 Pro and GT Sport. In those 2 weeks I did 100% gold in driving school, missions and circuit experience and not a single online race. I haven't had so much fun since PSX and Gran Turismo 2. I didn't want to jump straight into online races because it is my first sim-arcade. I did some GT League (single player) but it is really disappointing after the fun stuff (driving school, missions and circuit experience).

After 2 weeks of some preparations it is obvious that I want to start online races and here come the questions. It seems that Gr.3 and Gr.4 is the way to go so should I focus on few cars and try to master them? If yes then what cars should I try as a beginner with DS4 controller? I know that somewhere in the game I can check top 10 times on specific track so basically top cars (for this specific track) but some of them (if not all of them) are on the wheel so I am not sure if it is good to follow that especially as a beginner.

I haven't picked manufacturer yet. Not sure if I should participate in those FIA stuff because I am a bit late to the party.

I turned off all assists except braking/turning cones. How do you manage to play without them? It seems very difficult. I can assume that they will be gone after few laps so I have to learn how to play without them.

Another one question comes to camera. I was trying bumper and chase camera and I am torn between the two. Bumper camera seems better overall but sometimes I had to switch to chase camera (circuit experience). For example turn 1 Monza because I was driving through curb all the time and it was kicking me off the track. It was more difficult for me to drive with bumper camera on this track than with chase camera. Same situation with not being sure if I am still on the curb or not. It is obvious to see if I am still on the curb in chase camera, with bumper camera it is not that obvious. Sometimes I was spinning (full throttle) because I was thinking that I am not on the curb. Had you just get used with time how to judge correctly those situations while using bumper camera?

Additional tips are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
...but some of them (if not all of them) are on the wheel so I am not sure if it is good to follow that especially as a beginner.

It's easier to be consistent with the wheel but the pad can compete with them with enough practice. Use the top 10 replays for rough brake markers and lines or better still, have a look at kie25's youtube channel as he does some good track guides. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClSdo_Y3Cb582aAEjyb_kYg

Driving lots of cars is a good idea as you'll learn their character but if you find cars that you enjoy driving, use them. Top tier drivers can make the most of those meta cars but lower ranks generally can't.

The FiA races are just as accessible as the weekly races. If you like the look of them on the days they're on, get stuck in. They're a good way of breaking the monotony of doing daily (I wish they'd change the name to weekly...) races over and over.

Viewpoint is entirely subjective. Some people swear by bumper view as it's the only option with a rear view mirror, others swear by hood as they can see precisely where they're placing the car. With you just starting out in online races and starting from the bottom though, I'd recommend bumper view. The rear view is desperately needed down there... All of the views are viable so use whichever you're comfortable with. The same with driving assists. If you're in for the long haul, getting used to driving without them will stand you in good stead but if you're struggling for consistency, there's no shame in using any of them.

Above all else, practice whenever you can. It all adds up.

...and welcome to GTP.:gtpflag:

I would advise bumper cam. The rear view mirror and radar are very important if you want to race clean and not get hit. Radar sits nicely in the middle in bumper cam and the rear view mirror is large enough for your peripheral vision to alert you of anything coming your way while you keep your eyes on the road. Another advantage is that bumper cam prevents you from following too close to other cars as you simply won't be able to see anything! The hardest part about bumper cam is learning the dimensions of your car. You 'sit' in the middle yet not actually on the bumper. It takes a long time to learn how tight you can move in between other cars.

Don't rely on brake markers or turning cones. Racing other people is very different from hot lapping. You often have to adjust your braking and cornering to share the road. Always brake a little early when behind another car, the slipstream effect is quite strong. To avoid it you can place your car slightly to the inside to brake in 'clean' air, then go back behind them once slowed down enough. Just beware that swerving in the braking zone is not considered clean, so only do that when there is no one behind you. (You can always stick to a slightly more inside line, expect the car behind to come in next to you)

Best advise is simply have fun. Don't fret about DR points, concentrate on driving clean and building your SR to 99.

I had the same questions when I was starting. Took me almost a month to have the courage to jump online, but I regret not doing it earlier because online is where you really learn and evolve, and where the real fun is.

Good cars to start: Beetle is the easiest to drive for Gr3. Maybe not the best choice for when you reach the level where you'll be fighting for fractions of a second, but if you can keep your car on track and drive decent lines you will be doing good in the lower ranks. The two Mercedes are also good and reliable for every track. Gr4 is more unbalanced now and if you enter races where tire wear is on, you should be more careful with your choices. The Huracan Gr4 is good for most races, but try the Toyota 86 if tire wear or too many long corners are involved.

Try the FIA races. You have nothing to lose. Keep the cones and brake indicators for as long as you feel you need them. They will speed up the process of learning the tracks. Worry more about learning to drive without other assists, like TCS, with time. As for the camera, if you're still undecided, go with bumper for the rear view mirror.

Not gonna lie, if you're going into daily races with only 2 weeks of playing the offline content, it's going to be frustrating and not fun for you and drivers around you.

I would recommend doing the daily race qualifying over and over and over and see if you can improve your times.
Join lobbies to race without the worry of DR and SR.

Using aids is ok to begin with. Use ABS all the time. TCS can be useful too but keep in mind you will be faster without it eventually.

Report back in a few weeks and tell us how much your times have improved.

First, Welcome to GTP!

As someone who avoided online anything for the longest time, my advice is:

1.First and foremost have fun. You are just starting out, you are not Senna!
2. Some people have been doing this a long time and some have more time to play/practice/compete.
3. Do not be discouraged by your results. Look at how you are improving and not your finishing position.
4. Some people are just REALLY good racing. Check their replays and see if you can learn something.
5. Some people think it's a demolition derby on the track. Don't fret, you will start to recognize names and learn tactics to avoid them and eventually you will see that most of the time they crash themselves out of your way.
6. There are some really clean racers out there. Learn to race clean!
7. If you cause a crash of others because of mistakes, just apologize at the chat at the end of the race. A little courtesy goes a long way.
8. Winning a race could take a long time. It takes skill and luck sometimes to reach that top spot.
9. Learn the tracks! The cones are great but will not help you when you are right behind someone because you won't see the cone in bumper cam, just the car you are following.
10. Find a view that works for you. I prefer bumper so I can see the whole road (except when I'm right behind someone). Everyone has a view that works for them. Find yours....
11. Get a wheel. I know some are great on a DS4, but once I got a wheel, I couldn't drive with a DS4 anymore and I'm much faster for it.
12. Try all the cars. Find what you like and what you can drive well consistently.
13. Its just a game....see my first point!

Race and enjoy!

Hello.

So I was watching for some time Gran Turismo Sport videos and streams. I liked it so much that 2 weeks ago I bought PS4 Pro and GT Sport. In those 2 weeks I did 100% gold in driving school, missions and circuit experience and not a single online race. I haven't had so much fun since PSX and Gran Turismo 2. I didn't want to jump straight into online races because it is my first sim-arcade. I did some GT League (single player) but it is really disappointing after the fun stuff (driving school, missions and circuit experience).

After 2 weeks of some preparations it is obvious that I want to start online races and here come the questions. It seems that Gr.3 and Gr.4 is the way to go so should I focus on few cars and try to master them? If yes then what cars should I try as a beginner with DS4 controller? I know that somewhere in the game I can check top 10 times on specific track so basically top cars (for this specific track) but some of them (if not all of them) are on the wheel so I am not sure if it is good to follow that especially as a beginner.

I haven't picked manufacturer yet. Not sure if I should participate in those FIA stuff because I am a bit late to the party.

I turned off all assists except braking/turning cones. How do you manage to play without them? It seems very difficult. I can assume that they will be gone after few laps so I have to learn how to play without them.

Another one question comes to camera. I was trying bumper and chase camera and I am torn between the two. Bumper camera seems better overall but sometimes I had to switch to chase camera (circuit experience). For example turn 1 Monza because I was driving through curb all the time and it was kicking me off the track. It was more difficult for me to drive with bumper camera on this track than with chase camera. Same situation with not being sure if I am still on the curb or not. It is obvious to see if I am still on the curb in chase camera, with bumper camera it is not that obvious. Sometimes I was spinning (full throttle) because I was thinking that I am not on the curb. Had you just get used with time how to judge correctly those situations while using bumper camera?

I started last week and I played my first online races yesterday. I can't give you advices or tips but I can write few statements about how I feel about your questions.

1- GT league is boring, if you want fun stuff with bots, go to arcade and design/set your own race.

2- cars : cars don't drive/feel the same in the online race and in offline mode. I don't know why, but that's the way it is for me even with a low ping.

3- DS4 vs wheel : I bought the wheel (G29) directly and I tried it on my 3rd day. I sent it back directly because it felt **** no matter the settings. If you expect wheel tech to have progressed as much as video games graphics in the last 20 years, you will be disapointed. > I raced go kart in my childhood, I drive frequently and I drove some sport car on a race track, and this feels nothing like it.
After 5hours of trying, I was getting better, but I felt it was not worth it. Maybe I will order it and try again in few weeks/months.

4- assists : lots of people here are fragile and need assists for everything in life and will tell you "you're a beginner, use assists". Just do what you feel is better for you, but try combination of assissts and no assists possible. I do without any because it don't care if I mess up and I like challenge. Plus it's the only "realistic" thing about this game.

5- cameras : for me roof is the best for angle view, cockpit is cool for the "realistic"thing, but it gives you huge blind spots depending on the cars. Bumper reduce "how far" you see but it helps to spot the inevitable idiots that will suck your rear bumper to push you out

6- finally about the online mode itself : it's way harder than AI, it's more frustrating because of idiots pushing you out, but it's also more challenging and I liked it overall.

Too much thinking and not enough driving. if you are straight golds, jump in and race.

it's really not that hard except you will start in entry level lobbies where people crash and hit you, avoid those and you will have the pace to progress IMHO.

just get it done.

Welcome.
Avenida and kilesa already Said most of it.

You're right that gr.3/4 are the focus of the game. As a car for starters, on a ds4 I recomend FR Cars for their stability and understeer. But the crucial os to try them all out. I love the NSX's, but on a ds4 i'm not much competitive, but i still drive them with Joy.
You could try the Mercedes, that are super stable, or the Hyundai's as an all rounder.

On the matter of cameras, I'm on of the herectics that use chase cam. I have more spatial awareness, and i played like this for almost 20y. Riding on the back of someone is a mix of experience and using the radar focusing on the Car at front.
But to each their own.

Just try to play on manual transmitido, and have fun. Climb up the ranks cleanly, and maybe we'll meet at the track

Not gonna lie, if you're going into daily races with only 2 weeks of playing the offline content, it's going to be frustrating and not fun for you and drivers around you.

I would recommend doing the daily race qualifying over and over and over and see if you can improve your times.
Join lobbies to race without the worry of DR and SR.

Not sure I agree with this. Guy is going in at b/e and has golded track exp and that’s not a pushover.
My advise to anyone going racing is just go for it and learn as you go. The sr video tells you all you need to know about etiquette so just stick to that and don’t retaliate.

Other advise. Don’t get tunnel vision battling a driver. It’s slowing you both down. Don’t try to force space to overtake, wait for a proper chance.

Cars to try, to qualy look at the top 10 replays, what cars are they using? Just be aware the qualy car might not be the best race car.

FIA again go for it. It’s more serious and therefore more immersive and rewarding. Usually cleaner racing and always faster racing.

Enjoy yourself, feel free to add me BUCKAROO74 as I like to see other guys times. You will get quick it doesn’t take long but there are always quicker people out there.

Very top tip. Stay clean as much as possible and you will do fine.

My advise to anyone going racing is just go for it and learn as you go.

What's the worst that could happen?:lol:

I agree with you though. Career mode offers a safe place to learn cars and tracks but there's nothing in it that can prepare you for racing other often better drivers. Kinda jumping in at the deep end but they'll soon teach you the ropes.

Last edited:
Not sure I agree with this. Guy is going in at b/e and has golded track exp and that’s not a pushover.
My advise to anyone going racing is just go for it and learn as you go. The sr video tells you all you need to know about etiquette so just stick to that and don’t retaliate.

Other advise. Don’t get tunnel vision battling a driver. It’s slowing you both down. Don’t try to force space to overtake, wait for a proper chance.

Cars to try, to qualy look at the top 10 replays, what cars are they using? Just be aware the qualy car might not be the best race car.

FIA again go for it. It’s more serious and therefore more immersive and rewarding. Usually cleaner racing and always faster racing.

Enjoy yourself, feel free to add me BUCKAROO74 as I like to see other guys times. You will get quick it doesn’t take long but there are always quicker people out there.

Very top tip. Stay clean as much as possible and you will do fine.

I respectfully disagree.

If you want to win do it my way.
If you want to be "having fun" stuck at the back or midfield playing bumper cars getting nowhere slowly, jump right in.

Not always, I jumped into the online mode within 2 days of getting the game and managed to be competitive and have lots of fun without any issues. You just need to be aware of cars around you more than in other games. That said I try and drive cleanly in any racing game so it naturally carried over.

Hello.

Join us at Snailracing.org, the largest online racing community on GT Planet. We are always recruiting drivers of every skill level and have a division that will fit you skill and experience. This is a great community with very helpful members/drivers that are willing to work with you and improve your skill and speed. Weekly races every Sunday night starting at 9pm EST. Check out the link below and have a look around. If this looks like something for you, sign up, and tell them I sent you. Hope to see you out on the track!
www.snailracing.org

Last edited:
If you have all golds, then you obviously have some talent. I would say being patient is the most important thing in an online race, especially when starting out. Stay out of trouble and passing opportunities will open up. I would think that you'll qualify well with the all gold history, and may get podiums and wins early while your SR is low. Look at the laptimes of your competitors when a race starts, to get an idea of your competition. If your times are close to those in front, you'll be racing with them. If the guy in front of you is 1 second or more faster, and you put in some good laps to get your Q time, then he will probably pull away. Same with the cars behind...if they're close, you're racing, but if they're much slower then you probably only have to stay clear through the first half lap, and then you won't have to worry because they can't catch you unless you make a mistake. If someone close to your speed is very aggressive and dirty, give them the inside and let them by, then put on some pressure. Usually they will brake too late and go off, leaving you ahead with a gap.
Good luck and have fun!

Back