New to iRacing

• Thread starter Vosegus
  • 59 comments
Israel
Israel
Hello,
I'm getting my gear in the next couple of days(G27)and I want to join iRacing.
The thing is, I wonder if the game is balanced. If I decide not buying a car, or if I buy the wrong one..my chances of winning are lower?
Thanks!

No not really, currently there is only one series where 2 different manufactures are in the same class but iRacing has done a good job at equaling their pace out. As far as car buying goes i suggest you buy what you plan on racing for awhile and to know what car is popular or not. With me for instance even though its a popular car i regret buying the Skip Barber because i never use it.

Okay, thank you very much for the info!
Another question, how is the GT series?is is any good?or there is an emphasis on NASCAR?

The GT3 series on iRacing right now is probably the most popular at the moment, guaranteed a full grid for the majority of times, but if your just starting your not gonna be able to race there for awhile. NASCAR has a very big influence on iRacing but im a road course person. I only race ovals with the free oval stuff that is given to you with the subscription, i personally find it difficult to up my license in ovals.

I don't quite understand, I MUST play the NASCAR series in order to progeress to the GT3 league?
Taht's a huge disappointment for me...

I don't quite understand, I MUST play the NASCAR series in order to progeress to the GT3 league?
Taht's a huge disappointment for me...
No you can pick which branch of racing you would like to do. Road and Ovals have there own licenses and do not effect eachother. Right now i have an A class road license so i can race any road course series i want but that doesnt let me race A class oval races, im still a D class oval and have to work that up to race in the higher tier oval series.

Last edited:
The v8 super cars I kinda regret buying there is not enough people racing them when I'm online to make it an official race. So silver makes a good point make sure you see which ones are popular before buying the car.

The v8 super cars I kinda regret buying there is not enough people racing them when I'm online to make it an official race. So silver makes a good point make sure you see which ones are popular before buying the car.
Yea most V8 races are almost exclusively Aussies, my sleep schedule is awkward enough for me to join the 3:15am races. And big V8 grids take place on sundays normally, this mornings 3:15am race had 60+ registered.

There are two V8 Americas races in US-friendly time that go official. Around 9-45pm EST on Thursday and Friday (would give correct time, but the forum is down atm).

Hi so correct me plz if I'm wrong.
I will buy subscription how much?
Then I have to buy a car for real money? How much?
Then I have to pass some tests? I understand that as lots of people are rage runners or poor drivers.
And then I can join some events?
If I'll crash my car in race or practice do I have to repair it after and for real money?
Don't get me wrong guys but I heard iracing is expensive, so is there are some kind of tokens?
Can I practice any time on any track or again have to buy it first???
Sorry for so many questions but I'm gran turismo driver and I start be enough with gt glitches and unstable servers and for a while I'm thinking about this change. I have proper rig with all equipment just have to buy PC. And one more think, what's the best PC specs to run it and have graphic on more than good?? I mean no pixels, every details, shadows just nice and smooth picture
Thank you in advance

Oh one more, is there are suspension, power, aerodynamics,transmission etc. setup options? Can I change suspension settings for specific track or weather?

Hi so correct me plz if I'm wrong.
I will buy subscription how much?
Then I have to buy a car for real money? How much?
Then I have to pass some tests? I understand that as lots of people are rage runners or poor drivers.
And then I can join some events?
If I'll crash my car in race or practice do I have to repair it after and for real money?
Don't get me wrong guys but I heard iracing is expensive, so is there are some kind of tokens?
Can I practice any time on any track or again have to buy it first???
Sorry for so many questions but I'm gran turismo driver and I start be enough with gt glitches and unstable servers and for a while I'm thinking about this change. I have proper rig with all equipment just have to buy PC. And one more think, what's the best PC specs to run it and have graphic on more than good?? I mean no pixels, every details, shadows just nice and smooth picture
Thank you in advance
Lots of questions
1. I'd suggest starting with the $15 3 month subscription
2. All cars are $12
3. There are no tests to pass, just race clean without any off tracks or hitting other cars to up your safety rating.
4. You can only join events to which your License is eligible for and what cars/tracks you have bought.
5. You do have to repair it and no it doesnt cost money to repair a car, In some series though you are allowed 1 quick repair, in the higher series you dont.
6. There is credits which you can earn by racing in atleast 8 of a 12 week season, A-B class series gets you $7, C-D gets you $3, max of $40 a year.
7.Once you buy a track you never have to buy it again same for cars and you can practice anytime
8. It depends on the car and if its a fixed setup series or not. The higher teir cars get pretty in depth with setup options, weather as well effects how the car handles too.

Last edited:
Lots of questions
2. All cars are $12
3. There are no tests to pass, just race clean without any off tracks or hitting other cars to up your safety rating.
4. You can only join events to which your License is eligible for and what cars/tracks you have bought.
5. You do have to repair it and no it doesnt cost money to repair a car, In some series though you are allowed 1 quick repair, in the higher series you dont.
6. There is credits which you can earn by racing in atleast 8 of a 12 week season, A-B class series gets you $7, C-D gets you $3, max of $40 a year.
7.Once you buy a track you never have to buy it again same for cars and you can practice anytime
8. It depends on the car and if its a fixed setup series or not. The higher teir cars get pretty in depth with setup options, weather as well effects how the car handles too.
Exhausting answer thank you

Lots of questions
2. All cars are $12

Thanks for the explanation. I keep forgetting that we can earn credits for showing up and racing on a regular basis. Makes the money they charge to host private sessions a little more tolerable. To be honest, I don't get that, seems just plain greedy. I'm happy to pay to cover the cost of the scanned tracks and the design work that goes into the cars. But if I've purchased the track, the car and I'm paying monthly dues, it seems like I should be able to invite some friends over to drive with me. So dumb to charge for that.

Well that's also a good point, it's frustrating getting new cars and tracks only to find out there's not a lot of people racing them. What I did and it doesn't make a lot of sense at first, was I bought all the content. :D I still mostly race the Riley but it's nice to fire up iRacing and see not much happening but maybe there's a race in the Radicals or the Mustangs. There's usually some race going on and if you have all the content it makes it easier to find a race.

BTW it took me the better part of 3 years to get all the content and the deals with three helped a lot as well.

Well that's also a good point, it's frustrating getting new cars and tracks only to find out there's not a lot of people racing them. What I did and it doesn't make a lot of sense at first, was I bought all the content. :D I still mostly race the Riley but it's nice to fire up iRacing and see not much happening but maybe there's a race in the Radicals or the Mustangs. There's usually some race going on and if you have all the content it makes it easier to find a race.

BTW it took me the better part of 3 years to get all the content and the deals with three helped a lot as well.
Deal with three??

Deal with three??

If you buy 3 pieces of content, you get 10% off.
If you buy 6 or more you get 20% off.
If you own 40 pieces of purchased content, you get 25% off the remaining content(even for single purchases i believe).
& when you buy all the remaining content you need you get 30% off.

If you own 40 pieces of purchased content, you get 25% off the remaining content(even for single purchases i believe).
That's nice, so if you do that with brain iracing it's not that expensive
Cool thanx

Yup, that's the way to buy content and when you want to renew your iRacing premiums wait until Black Friday rolls around and get 1 year for $49.00

Yup, that's the way to buy content and when you want to renew your iRacing premiums wait until Black Friday rolls around and get 1 year for $49.00
Ive been renewing mine in 3 month chunks until that weekend rolls around.

Also, they have deals sometimes where you can load your account for x dollars, and you get iRacing credits for free.
In March there was a deal where you got $5 extra when loading your account with $20, and $25 worth of credits when you loaded it with $75.

Also, they have deals sometimes where you can load your account for x dollars, and you get iRacing credits for free.
In March there was a deal where you got $5 extra when loading your account with $20, and $25 worth of credits when you loaded it with $75.
I started "reloading my account" it's easier that way to me with pre-pay cards and safer than a personal CC/Debit card. If cost is an issue, for anyone, don't even try iRacing and stay on the console as long as you can stand it. I stayed true to GT as long as I could til I couldn't take anymore of the shenanigans from the multi-player and PD. GT is $60 and done, for the the most part, but it AIN'T NO BARGAIN, when it comes to the gameplay anymore. That's just me though :lol:

Last edited:
Ive been renewing mine in 3 month chunks until that weekend rolls around.

Ya, that's the best way to do it, they also offer the buy 1 year get a 2nd year for free, although I'm not sure of the exact date.

Hi there just wanted some info I joined iracing a week ago I've got a Dfgt wheel and I was just wondering how much the Dfgt pedals would lose you on a lap compared to some better ones at the moment I'm getting a average 1.01.300 to a 1.02.300 at lime rock park in the maza mx5 thanks

Last edited:
Hi there just wanted some info I joined iracing a week ago I've got a Dfgt wheel and I was just wondering how much the Dfgt pedals would lose you on a lap compared to some better ones at the moment I'm getting a average 1.01.300 to a 1.02.300 at lime rock park in the maza mx5 thanks
Better equipment wont make you faster, it will give you more control so you gain a little more confidence in how the car is handling. However like mostly everyone else here i would recommend a g27 of Fanatec wheel just because they are not too expensive and they will last you awhile. Ive had my Fanatec GT3RSV2 now for 2 years and have never had a problem with it, i prefer it over the g27 since it is belt driven and the on wheel adjustments are an amazing feature.

Latest Posts

Back