New wheel user, left foot hurts

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
jamiemb17
Hey guys, so I am a new wheel user and have never driven in real life. I got the G29 just over a week ago, clamped it to my desk, stuck my pedals in the alcove below and have adjusted pretty quickly.

In the first few days, my left foot would hurt reasonably badly not long into a session, and it would be somewhat painful/numb for a few hours after a two-hour drive, but it would always ease by the same time the next day and I would be good to go again. This is due to the G29's brake being pretty stiff, and me not having experience using pedals before - I feel comfortable enough but maybe my position is a bit wrong. My lefty is pressed in a bit against the brake; I might be sitting too close but I'm restricted by the space underneath my desk.

Today, however, since waking up the pain is noticeably sharp, hurting whenever I move my foot from rest. I haven't 'injured' myself as such, as I honestly felt nothing particular after playing for two hours again last night, so I'm guessing it's from the accumulation of playing every day for 2-3 hours in this new way.

So, I'm guessing some of you guys are experienced in this matter. Any tips you could give about managing the pain short-term, and if I should change anything long-term or if I will get used to it?

P.S. I am physically healthy but I don't work out so my feet are pretty average, I guess.

Update - I raised the position of my pedals due to a suggestion here, and my pain hasn't gotten any worse since. Feel free to use this thread for anything else related.

Last edited:
Hey guys, so I am a new wheel user and have never driven in real life. I got the G29 just over a week ago, clamped it to my desk, stuck my pedals in the alcove below and have adjusted pretty quickly.

In the first few days, my left foot would hurt reasonably badly not long into a session, and it would be somewhat painful/numb for a few hours after a two-hour drive, but it would always ease by the same time the next day and I would be good to go again. This is due to the G29's brake being pretty stiff, and me not having experience using pedals before - I feel comfortable enough but maybe my position is a bit wrong. My lefty is pressed in a bit against the brake; I might be sitting too close but I'm restricted by the space underneath my desk.

Today, however, since waking up the pain is noticeably sharp, hurting whenever I move my foot from rest. I haven't 'injured' myself as such, as I honestly felt nothing particular after playing for two hours again last night, so I'm guessing it's from the accumulation of playing every day for 2-3 hours in this new way.

So, I'm guessing some of you guys are experienced in this matter. Any tips you could give about managing the pain short-term, and if I should change anything long-term or if I will get used to it?

P.S. I am physically healthy but I don't work out so my feet are pretty average, I guess.
Are you pressing the pedal with your toes or the ball/flat of your foot?

Are you pressing the pedal with your toes or the ball/flat of your foot?
I would say with my toes, pushing my whole foot forward and the toes pushing the pedal. This bends my foot outwards unnaturally which I think is what is causing my pain.

Try to use the ball of your foot.

If that doesn't work, you could swap the clutch spring for the brake spring - it's not as stiff.

agree with @Venster ... holding/hovering your foot over the brake will do this every time... when on straights place your left foot in a position where it can rest naturally... only hover over the brake when necessary.

and, as mentioned, use the ball of your foot... if you watch the Lewis Hamilton videos, you'll see just how exaggerated a pro is at doing so,

I would say with my toes, pushing my whole foot forward and the toes pushing the pedal. This bends my foot outwards unnaturally which I think is what is causing my pain.
You're gonna want to rest yout heel on the foot plate and press in with the flat or the ball of your foot. Never use your toes. Leads to cramps every time. Same goes with the throttle.

Also make sure all your toes are on the pedal, not just three or four of them. It spreads the load out better amongst all of them.

For sure it's the close position of youre pedals. And don't drive to much with this imo,the pain could get alot worse.

I would recommend some sort driving shoes. In my case I use slippers with a pretty hard rubber sole. It helps keeps the pressure on your foot even when braking. Seating position could also play a role. I use a Playseat so my seating position makes it easier to brake by extending my leg rather than pivoting my ankle a lot. When I was playing with my wheel mounted to a TV tray stand I still used slippers and never had foot issues.

I use T300RS combined with g27 pedals and because ergonomy and not ever using the clutch I swapped the brake and clutch pedals. I also use indoor shoes to prevent any possible toe nerv numbness. I highly recommend if you have to drive longer sessions.

I made my own racing seat frame/pedal mounts, and I arranged everything so it fits me good. . I use a Fanatec load cell pedal and I drive in my socks, and my feet do not get sore. I suggest working on your set up to make it more comfortable. Maybe try working out some kind of dead foot rest (left foot on LH drive) even if you need to use books, roll of toilet paper, laundry detergent box, jar of mayonnaise, dont be afraid to get creative.. Ideally you would want your dead foot rest to be similar in height to your brake pedal and close to it so you can just slide over and hit the brakes. Make sure its something you can put you leg weight on so you are not trying to "float" your leg when not pressing brakes.

Are your pedals flat on the ground? If so, angle them a little bit. Also, break with the ball of your foot and as mentioned before, don't hover over the pedal. Are you used to left foot braking in a car? There is not a whole lot to be gained from left foot braking.

Actually on second thought, I do use the ball of my foot and rest my heel; it's the angle that my ankle is at which is the problem.

Anyway, I took a break from the wheel tonight so I'm just going to wait and see how long it takes for the pain to wear off, and try again. Sitting slightly lower down might help. Thanks for the responses.

Had the same issue with my G29 (as I am sure others have) caused by the rubber block mounted in the brake assembly. It is Logitech's attempt at simulating a load cell. Imo it doesn't work very well and caused me a lot of discomfort attempting to get 100% braking force in this and other driving games I play. Videos of how to get rid or modify it easily are on YouTube. Warning: Doing this will obviously void your warranty but at least you won't be limping.

Getting rid will make the brake seem very light, maybe too light for you. If that is the case then a stronger progressive rate spring is available from GTEye. I have one, works well enough in a game where ABS is pretty much necessary and which also works magically well too so that generally one only needs to mash the brake hard enough to be able to achieve 100% braking force reasonably easily at any given moment.

Best of luck buddy. It's a game and not worth hurting for.

I would be a good idea, if you put a picture on here to show us your sitting position 👍.

You can rest your heel on the platform at the base of brakepedal. You dont neet to hover your leg - just extend your angle. Also doing my small "mod" lowers, flattens and widens the brakepedal.

IMG_20180206_001231.jpg

I used to have something like you experience when i was playing drums on rock band since im not a drummer. :lol:

Last edited:
I use a G29 and have a 3 ring binder underneath it which tilts it forward and moves the pedals to a more vertical position. Your feet are basically in a flat position as if you're standing up and you don't have to press your foot very far to use the pedals. If you have them flat on the floor, you have to press your foot further forward which may be causing the pain. I have a piece of carpet wrapped around the binder and it's up against a sturdy coffee table so there is no movement to the base. I also play in socks.

To address the issue of left foot braking, I believe it is an advantage. You can get on the gas much quicker and is especially useful in trail braking. I also left foot brake in real life as I have an A/M trans. I also have paddle shifters if I feel the need to manual shift without the need for a clutch. Also remember you go faster when you don't use the brake as much. :D

As you do not drive a real car I would recommend starting with your 'Right Foot' for accelerator and then lift off when approaching a braking zone and also use your right foot for braking only (Like an Automatic car)..Rest your left foot, you will not need this to start practicing on (unless you have a clutch and gear lever set up) then rest left foot next to clutch as advised and only use on changing gear.

Left foot braking, heel and toe are for when you get more experienced with the wheel and real life driving and you will gradually experiment what makes you faster. It sounds like you are braking with left foot and hovering it over the pedal. 👍 (then try left foot braking as above ^^ and see what hurts)

Had the same issue with my G29 (as I am sure others have) caused by the rubber block mounted in the brake assembly. It is Logitech's attempt at simulating a load cell. Imo it doesn't work very well and caused me a lot of discomfort attempting to get 100% braking force in this and other driving games I play. Videos of how to get rid or modify it easily are on YouTube. Warning: Doing this will obviously void your warranty but at least you won't be limping.

Getting rid will make the brake seem very light, maybe too light for you. If that is the case then a stronger progressive rate spring is available from GTEye. I have one, works well enough in a game where ABS is pretty much necessary and which also works magically well too so that generally one only needs to mash the brake hard enough to be able to achieve 100% braking force reasonably easily at any given moment.

Best of luck buddy. It's a game and not worth hurting for.
Do you really want 100% braking force? I’m making an effort to improve and watching some top streamers and notice that being able to brake without full force is a big key for getting better lap times.

Do you really want 100% braking force? I’m making an effort to improve and watching some top streamers and notice that being able to brake without full force is a big key for getting better lap times.

I was generalising somewhat but a lot of the time yes you do. Whatever the game will give you for max retardation. Trail braking or light braking under certain circumstances will indeed be faster than constant mashing. Without that high tech rubber butt plug though it will be just as easy/hard to implement those lighter braking inputs but without the physical grief.

Last edited:
I also have my wheel on a desk and used to have the same problem, I made a flat stand for the pedals about 5" tall. My feet arn't on an awkward angle now and im totally comfortable for hours.

There is not a whole lot to be gained from left foot braking.

I didn't see this. How do you balance the car in wider corners, or how to trailbrake in corners entry? And, of course, it needs time to switch from brake to throttle with only one foot. And at least, you can't react shortly when you hunt someone and wont loose so much time before/after corner...

If you are able to use booth feet, it is a no go to use only the right one. Just my 2 cents...

There is not a whole lot to be gained from left foot braking.

Speaking as someone that at one time could not get comfortable with left-foot braking but has since learned how, I disagree. My lap times are consistently faster, mainly due to being able to get on the gas sooner after brake zones.

I'm sure you've seen how your lap times are affected (especially when qualifying, where you see +/- times from previous laps) by any minor contact with a wall, like on Blue Moon. That kind of delay is what you impose on your time every time you aren't on the gas when you should be, while you're moving your foot from the brake to the gas. It puts you at a disadvantage, compared to everyone who left-foot brakes.

I previously had the same thing, because the angle of your leg compared to where it would be if you were in a driving seat, you aren’t able to provide a suitable rest for your left foot. If you could simulate the proper position better ie create a prop for the pedals and perhaps something to clamp your wheel to, then clamp that to the desk you would probably be much more comfortable

I am skinny and don't have muscular legs at all and have no trouble driving for hours. Must be something wrong with your setup/position/pushing.

@Jamie Bbbbb

I think you shouldn't be very upset, just take a break, but drive every day - that's very important to your muscles get used.

And as others said, try to rest your leg in most natural position.

If hip is hurting, that can be a problem.

Last edited:
I‘m using the Playseat Challenge and my sitting Position is very comfortable. Sometimes I play for hours and after a while, my left knee starts to hurt. It’s because I constantly rest my heel on the Pedal Plate and while braking I feel the pressure on my heel which goes up into my knee.

But yes I would say left foot braking is essential for being able to balance the Car much more precisely and react faster in certain situations.

Are you guys wearing shoes? I had some left foot pain as well some months ago after I had taken a little break from using my wheel and not worn shoes.
Just socks is more comfortable (and I'm indoors in my living room, don't really want to be wearing shoes) but I haven't tried without shoes since I had the pain.

I‘m using the Playseat Challenge and my sitting Position is very comfortable. Sometimes I play for hours and after a while, my left knee starts to hurt. It’s because I constantly rest my heel on the Pedal Plate and while braking I feel the pressure on my heel which goes up into my knee.

But yes I would say left foot braking is essential for being able to balance the Car much more precisely and react faster in certain situations.

Yeah sometimes applying both gas and brake is needed too.

And I always wear shoes btw.

Latest Posts

Back