New wheel user, left foot hurts

@Jamie Bbbbb had the same problem wheni got my wheel in December. attached the wheel to the desk and pedals a little forward but it needed to be further back. Had a lot of pain because both my feet were cramped at an unnatural angle. Eventually made a DIY stand with adjustable pedal angles and wheel height adjustment. Requires more space but my feet have been happy ever since.

I didn't see this. How do you balance the car in wider corners, or how to trailbrake in corners entry? And, of course, it needs time to switch from brake to throttle with only one foot. And at least, you can't react shortly when you hunt someone and wont loose so much time before/after corner...

If you are able to use booth feet, it is a no go to use only the right one. Just my 2 cents...

Heel-toe driving. I don't abhor left foot braking, In real life I use it when I rally and autocross especially in slaloms to set weight on the nose of a car. There are also limited instances in game where it may produce a quicker time but for me running heel-toe is more natural, consistent and quicker over time.

So, I'm guessing some of you guys are experienced in this matter. Any tips you could give about managing the pain short-term, and if I should change anything long-term or if I will get used to it?

Remove the rubber brake block (it will invalidate your warranty if Logitech find out though). Or better still, replace it with a NIXIM V2 brake mod; much easier on the leg.

Other thing that can cause leg ache is when you hover your left foot over the brake. If you're doing this it can cause leg ache. Make sure to rest your foot down somewhere else instead.

All the best.

:)

I also have my wheel on a desk and used to have the same problem, I made a flat stand for the pedals about 5" tall. My feet arn't on an awkward angle now and im totally comfortable for hours.
I have to say, big thanks to you sir; I placed my pedals on a small storage box of about 6" and managed to play 2 hours with no pain whatsoever. So it's just a case of the angle which my ankle was at.

Btw I use some trampoline socks which I got recently; I definitely prefer them to wearing trainers and I think they work really well.

I skimmed the posts here so forgive me if it’s already been said. Why don’t you use your right foot for both acceration and braking? Makes it easier for you when learning how to drive a real car. It would be a bad habit to break if you work your pedals like you drive a rally car, in real life and normal driving you use your leftie for clutch only. When driving an automatic your leftie does nothing.

I skimmed the posts here so forgive me if it’s already been said. Why don’t you use your right foot for both acceration and braking? Makes it easier for you when learning how to drive a real car. It would be a bad habit to break if you work your pedals like you drive a rally car, in real life and normal driving you use your leftie for clutch only. When driving an automatic your leftie does nothing.
I've barely thought about using my right foot because I'm 99% sure I would be slower. There is zero time to be lost in corners when quickly going on and off the brake and gas with left-foot braking. At the moment I am thinking a lot more about going quickly in GTS than about driving IRL :P

I've barely thought about using my right foot because I'm 99% sure I would be slower. There is zero time to be lost in corners when quickly going on and off the brake and gas with left-foot braking. At the moment I am thinking a lot more about going quickly in GTS than about driving IRL :P
Valid point; but with time you learn to be as fast if not faster if you use your rightie. I’m faster when I use my right foot only and it does not slow me down, which is why I said that :D

But of course, left foot braking has its moments. :)

I‘m using the Playseat Challenge and my sitting Position is very comfortable. Sometimes I play for hours and after a while, my left knee starts to hurt. It’s because I constantly rest my heel on the Pedal Plate and while braking I feel the pressure on my heel which goes up into my knee.
I'm the same - playseat challenge, really comfy but left knee hurts after an hour with left foot braking (i have extra springs to make it stiffer). But knee is fine if I'm driving right foot braking and left on clutch.

You found any way to improve it? I might try tilting up the pedals

Valid point; but with time you learn to be as fast if not faster if you use your rightie. I’m faster when I use my right foot only and it does not slow me down, which is why I said that :D

But of course, left foot braking has its moments. :)
Even if your used to it i still think you can go faster by breaking with left foot. There is no time lost switching pedals and you dont always want to be completely of the gas when you brake as well. Plus reaction time on incidents in a race will go down to with left foot breaking.

Hey guys, so I am a new wheel user and have never driven in real life. I got the G29 just over a week ago, clamped it to my desk, stuck my pedals in the alcove below and have adjusted pretty quickly.

In the first few days, my left foot would hurt reasonably badly not long into a session, and it would be somewhat painful/numb for a few hours after a two-hour drive, but it would always ease by the same time the next day and I would be good to go again. This is due to the G29's brake being pretty stiff, and me not having experience using pedals before - I feel comfortable enough but maybe my position is a bit wrong. My lefty is pressed in a bit against the brake; I might be sitting too close but I'm restricted by the space underneath my desk.

Today, however, since waking up the pain is noticeably sharp, hurting whenever I move my foot from rest. I haven't 'injured' myself as such, as I honestly felt nothing particular after playing for two hours again last night, so I'm guessing it's from the accumulation of playing every day for 2-3 hours in this new way.

So, I'm guessing some of you guys are experienced in this matter. Any tips you could give about managing the pain short-term, and if I should change anything long-term or if I will get used to it?

P.S. I am physically healthy but I don't work out so my feet are pretty average, I guess.
Hey I also own the G29. Faced the same issues as you. Give it some time you will get used to it and it won't hurt anymore.
Edit: It took me around 2 months for my feet to get used to all the action without hurting Now I can play on my whee for 5-6 hours without even a hint of pain.

I'm the same - playseat challenge, really comfy but left knee hurts after an hour with left foot braking (i have extra springs to make it stiffer). But knee is fine if I'm driving right foot braking and left on clutch.

You found any way to improve it? I might try tilting up the pedals
I tried many things but nothing helped. I just try to not play longer than 2 hours in a row, and it’s all good. It doesn’t hurt actually it’s just a bit annoying. Nothing to worry about. I just simply stretch my leg sometimes or go have a smoke.

I've had used a race seat of some sort over many years, mostly a Playseat Evolution, and then a GT Omega ART. Just now due to lack of space I've moved to a Playseat Challenge and its great, as comfortable and stable as most others for a relatively casual player.

However just now I am using a set of T3PA-Pros I've had and used for ages, with the conical rubber stopper in place. Never found it to be a problem before, but I have been having a sore left knee since using them on the Challenge. My left knee isn't great at the best of times, so not sure if it's a combination of that, the lower seating position and the stiffness of the brake pedal that is making it worse.

When I got the T300RS GT I used the standard 3 pedal set that came with it (which I believe is the T3PA non-pro version) and without the rubber stopper, although noticed it was in the box. Took a lot of getting used to having very little resistance in the brakes again, but wasn't too bad.

Didn't have any problem at that stage with my knee however, so wondering myself if it's worth sacrificing the stiff brake for a loose one and saves my knee from getting sore after racing.

I've slowly developed pain in my right leg and lower back (T500 + Playseat Evo). I wasn't sure was it because of racing.. So I was a few days without racing and the pain went away. Yesterday I raced like three or four races and yup.. The pain is there. It's especially strong in my right hip/lower back area but starts to spread to my knee and right shoulder. I noticed I even lifted the gas instinctively during a race to avoid pain. Can't even bend to tie my shoelaces. Never had backproblems like this..

Didn't have any problems like this until two weeks ago. I guess it has developed slowly..

Gotta try using shoes, but doesn't look too good.. :(

I've slowly developed pain in my right leg and lower back (T500 + Playseat Evo). I wasn't sure was it because of racing.. So I was a few days without racing and the pain went away. Yesterday I raced like three or four races and yup.. The pain is there. It's especially strong in my right hip/lower back area but starts to spread to my knee and right shoulder. I noticed I even lifted the gas instinctively during a race to avoid pain. Can't even bend to tie my shoelaces. Never had backproblems like this..

Didn't have any problems like this until two weeks ago. I guess it has developed slowly..

Gotta try using shoes, but doesn't look too good.. :(

How long did u play now in the evo? I bought mine in early 12.2017 and i use it very often (everyday for at least 2 hours). Sometimes on Saturday i have sessions with 10+ hours and only a few short break (i'm addicted i guess :D), but never had pain anywhere...

How long did u play now in the evo? I bought mine in early 12.2017 and i use it very often (everyday for at least 2 hours). Sometimes on Saturday i have sessions with 10+ hours and only a few short break (i'm addicted i guess :D), but never had pain anywhere...

About 4 months now. My position in the seat is fine I think and I don't blame the seat. I'm thinking it must be a repetitive strain injury I've developed.. Driving IRL I like to lean my leg against the midconsole so it's different.

As you do not drive a real car I would recommend starting with your 'Right Foot' for accelerator and then lift off when approaching a braking zone and also use your right foot for braking only (Like an Automatic car)...

Left foot braking, heel and toe are for when you get more experienced with the wheel and real life driving

There is absolutely no reason to be left foot breaking on the road, manual or automatic (possible disability reasons aside).

There is absolutely no reason to be left foot breaking on the road, manual or automatic (possible disability reasons aside).

More 'experience' as in real life driving on race tracks. But I also know a few experienced drivers who do use left foot braking on our twisty roads here in England.

I do agree for every day normal road driving right foot braking is fine. 👍

I used to left foot brake on the road when I was younger, had numerous FWD company cars, and drove like a nutter most of the time - Great way to keep the nose on line in cars that want to understeer mid corner. Had a Subaru Impreza in the late 90's that really responded to left foot braking.

I don't drive like that on the public roads nowadays!

In games, I LFB 100% of the time.

I had some mild foot pain using T3PAs with longer races.
Simple solution that worked for me as I race in socks.
Get a pair of your wifes really thick soft socks and slide them over whatever pedal is bothering you.
They won't interfere or void warranties and you'll have a plush pedal.

Another thing that helps is to adjust your brake sensitivity so your not having to push so hard on the brake.

I very rarely push all the way down when braking as I'm at 100% braking with only using 3/4 of travel.
It's a learning (muscle memory) curve using a potentiometer pedal.

Last edited:
I had some mild foot pain using T3PAs with longer races.
Simple solution that worked for me as I race in socks.
Get a pair of your wifes really thick soft socks and slide them over whatever pedal is bothering you.
They won't interfere or void warranties and you'll have a plush pedal.

I already wanted to drive with a racing car with pink plush pedals :D. Anyway, the idea with the socks in not bad!

Lots of good advice here. Driving position is key. Anything causing you pain during or after using your wheel is something you should work on to mitigate. Work on getting your driving position as close to car-like as possible. I have my G29 in a stand made out of an old IKEA bookshelf, and sit on a GameRocker chair placed on a homemade platform so it doesn't rock. I had some cramping and numbness issues early on, and found that angling the pedal base up and anchoring it firmly helped a lot, as did rounding the sharp corners of the shelf legs. I can't comment of LF vs. RF braking- I'm a left foot braker in-game, but drive a three-pedal car IRL, so both methods are valid.

I can't comment of LF vs. RF braking- I'm a left foot braker in-game, but drive a three-pedal car IRL, so both methods are valid.

I left foot brake automatics in real life and all racing sims.
I'm also a truck driver and toe heel downshifts in my Mack while double clutching.
My left foot is just more linear always has been.

I am a left foot braker and yes, I do hover my left foot over the pedal. It's a habit that I wasn't really conscious about until I read this thread. Yet the only real physical issues I have are my knees and that's because my kneecaps can slide out of position.

I probably should rest my left foot off to the side except the few times I've tried that, I ended up hitting the clutch pedal by mistake. :dunce:

I probably should rest my left foot off to the side except the few times I've tried that, I ended up hitting the clutch pedal by mistake.

This is what I do as I left foot brake too. I keep my heel in front of the brake pedal and let my foot just rest naturally to the side until I need to brake. It becomes second nature after awhile. It's quite comfortable really. I race in socks so my foot slides easily over the pedals. I also have the pedal base tilted forward so the pedals are almost vertical.

I don't think most people realize to set fast lap times you should avoid the brake as much as possible, as funny as that sounds. A lot of times all that is required is a slight tap of the brakes to set or settle a car for a corner. That's where the benefit of left foot braking comes into play.

Since you are playing at a desk, it sounds like your posture is messed up. You need to get comfortable or you are just going to get aches and pains. Sitting at a desk with what I'm assuming is an office chair is far from ideal.

I use this chair along with a G29 and wheel stand pro and it's pretty comfortable while being easy to put away.

There is not a whole lot to be gained from left foot braking.

:confused:

There is a lot to be gained by using left foot braking.

Last edited:
This is a great thread, not many people talk about the aches and pains that come with sitting for hours at a time racing. It gets more acute as you get older, trust me.

I can say for certain that you will need to drink more water than you think to stay hydrated sim racing, it's more of a workout with a wheel than I realized.

Regarding left foot braking-I'm fine with it sim racing, but in a real car...not so much. I got used to the flimsy Logitech pedals before I ever tried it in a car so it's been tough to pick up the feel. Not that I need to do that in my daily driving. Most of the commuters I see left foot braking are idiots, the car is moving but the brake lights are still on! Their mechanics must love them.

Most of the commuters I see left foot braking are idiots, the car is moving but the brake lights are still on! Their mechanics must love them.

They aren't left foot braking, they are driving autos where the car will creep along as soon as you start to come off the brake and you need to control your speed with the brake not the throttle. 99.9% of the driving public have never (intentionally) tried left foot braking in their cars.

They aren't left foot braking, they are driving autos where the car will creep along as soon as you start to come off the brake and you need to control your speed with the brake not the throttle. 99.9% of the driving public have never (intentionally) tried left foot braking in their cars.

I'm not talking about in recent years-I understand modern cars will do this. In the 30 years I've been driving, I can tell you with absolute certainty that more than 0.1% of drivers out there who have their left foot on the brake all the time, and use it exclusively for braking. Right foot gas, left foot brake, and not for performance reasons. They were taught to do it this way, and have never been in a car with a manual transmission-so why not use the left foot? It's just sitting there otherwise.

Back