Newest Update (Version 1.47) destroyed my Save File (Thank You Polyphony Digital) !!!

• Thread starter Roxanne
  • 53 comments
United States
United States
Oh dear,

I know I discussed this already in the "Bug Report Thread" and I'm not the only one, but please bear with me when I create this "clickbaiting" Thread, because I'm pretty "pissed off" at the moment. Thanks in Advance for understanding.

After installing the newest Update from today on two PS4's I got the same Bug like in the linked Post above, that the screen keeps completely black and only the smart part on the top right corner gets barely visible, where you see your earned Credits, Mileage and so on. So I tried to investigate this Error.

Like every "pro" does, I backup'ed my Save Files online via this PS Plus service. My first idea was that maybe there is something wrong with the Save File, so I deleted it from the Harddrive and tried to run the Game again. It asked me if I want to use my Save File, "found online" (I guess the GT Sport Servers has an Backup as well after each sync it makes). I clicked on yes, but again = Black Screen.

Ok so I thought maybe when I create a New Game, this will maybe work. So again deleting the Save Files from the internal Harddrive, but this time I "created a New Game", which was a HUGE mistake! The screen still kept black but it seems it still synced the "new created Save File" online with my PSN Account without knowing since the screen was still black (so please don't tell I'm stupid or so - Thanks)!

Keep in mind that I didn't know that the Game was working in the Backgorund but only with a black screen, so I investigated further. This time I downloaded my Save File from the PS Plus Backup back to my Harddrive, but this time I decided to keep my PS4 offline. And hey, the Game loads fine and I have even a Picture. Wow!

So after confirming all New Messages within this Update, I brought the PS4 back online while in-Game and I choosed to connect to the Servers to get back online. And now every Time when I do this, it overwrites my old Save File with the new created one, where all my Credits, Cars and Achievements got replaced with 50.000 Credits and the Impreza only. And of course it does this everytime, since you can't save your Game while offline !!!

Good Night Polyphony Digital. This was the last Game I bought from you!

PS: By the way, even with the New Save File, when you close the Game, and start it again, the Screen keeps black again and you have to start the Game while your PS4 is offline.

Last edited:
You have made a big mistake by deleting your save file, so I am sorry to say that is your problem and not Polyphony Digital. If there is a issue with a game , never delete your save file call Plystation support before you delete anything.

Last edited:
You have made a big mistake by deleting your save file, so I am sorry to say that is your problem and not Polyphony Digital. If there is a issue with a game , never delete your save file call Plystation support before you delete anything.

I know what I did wrong but sorry, I don't want to blame anyone here but next time I want to see how you or others handle this when the Game refuses to load properly after a simple Update. Sorry but with such an comment, I could also say that PD has to release Updates, which will work (oh and please don't say I'm the only one with this kind of problem - as you can see above, I'm not).

PS: Technically you didn't understand the problem. Yes I deleted my Save File but this isn't the problem. It's more that I decided to "overwrite" my Save File on some GT Servers with an "New Game" - and I will explain this again - while the Screen kept black! I have my old Save File there on the Harddrive but since this Game is designed to give a **** about what you have saved on your HDD, it will never load it anymore from the HDD. I doubt there is any other PS4 Game with such an "nice" feature, lol.

So your original backup save file became one with a new game? Ouch. :crazy:

Exactly, thanks to the "nice" Feature (which I know only for this Game specific to be honest), that after each Start, it needs to sync the Save to the Servers.

Exactly, thanks to the "nice" Feature (which I know only for this Game specific to be honest), that after each Start, it needs to sync the Save to the Servers.
You should have saved your original one first through a computer or USB. That's what I do with the save files of my games before just to make sure I don't lose them. ;)

You should have saved your original one first through a computer or USB. That's what I do with the save files of my games before just to make sure I don't lose them. ;)

Again, this isn't the failure. When you read my Post again, then you will understand that I made a backup on PS Plus Servers, but the Game is designed to make it's own "Backup" and always load from their own Servers, and not from the HDD. And since I overwrited my online Savefile while the Screen kept black (so I didn't recognized it !!!), it will always overwrite my old Savefile when I sync with their servers.

I know what I did wrong but sorry, I don't want to blame anyone here but next time I want to see how you or others handle this when the Game refuses to load properly after a simple Update. Sorry but with such an comment, I could also say that PD has to release Updates, which will work (oh and please don't say I'm the only one with this kind of problem - as you can see above, I'm not).
Perhaps because you have 2 PS4s and made an mistake ?. I only have 1 PS4 an never had a problem.

Perhaps because you have 2 PS4s and made an mistake ?. I only have 1 PS4 an never had a problem.

No, this isn't the problem, since both PS4's showed the same black screen and both are synched to the same PSN Account (which is by the way a standard Feature if you have two PS4's that you can share your Save Files via PS Plus).

I have the feeling that you don't understand how this Game works with it's Savefiles it makes and how you can play this Game (or any other Game as well) when you have two PS4's.

Again, this isn't the failure. When you read my Post again, then you will understand that I made a backup on PS Plus Servers, but the Game is designed to make it's own "Backup" and always load from their own Servers, and not from the HDD. And since I overwrited my online Savefile while the Screen kept black (so I didn't recognized it !!!), it will always overwrite my old Savefile when I sync with their servers.
I know but my point is, you can also keep an extra original save by doing that as well, if all else fails. So it's not just online or through the servers you could just make your own backup files.

I know but my point is, you can also keep an extra original save by doing that as well, if all else fails.

And how it will help in this situation ??? Technically I have my File still available. How this can help when such a Game is designed to use it's own Save File uploaded on their own Servers?

And how it will help in this situation ??? Technically I have my File still available. How this can help when such a Game is designed to use it's own Save File uploaded on their own Servers?
Ah, I guess I can't figure that out. I thought it works the same way like the PS3 back then. Sorry. :lol:

Ah, I guess I can't figure that out. I thought it works the same way like the PS3 back then. :lol:

No, it doesn't. We speak about GT Sport, not good old GT5 or GT6 !!!

Oh and yes, your "self-made" Backups on your PC are useless for GT Sport if you will occure the same problematic I had!

No, it doesn't. We speak about GT Sport, not good old GT5 or GT6 !!!

Oh and yes, your "self-made" Backups on your PC are useless for GT Sport if you will occure the same problematic I had!
Touche. :guilty:

Was just trying to assume it could but unfortunately, that's not the case at all.

Touche. :guilty:

Was just trying to assume it could but unfortunately, that's not the case at all.

At least, someone understands it now. I'm kinda suprised to be honest that people play this Game but didn't know about this specific feature for this Game only.

Welcome to the "Always Online" World = GT Sport.

No, this isn't the problem, since both PS4's showed the same black screen and both are synched to the same PSN Account (which is by the way a standard Feature if you have two PS4's that you can share your Save Files via PS Plus).

I have the feeling that you don't understand how this Game works with it's Savefiles it makes and how you can play this Game (or any other Game as well) when you have two PS4's.
I do understand how saves files work but I will never delete a save file because once its gone, well it is gone for for good.

At least, someone understands it now. I'm kinda suprised to be honest that people play this Game but didn't know about this specific feature for this Game only.

Welcome to the "Always Online" World = GT Sport.
Uhm, actually I don't have the game yet so that's why I had no idea what I said was actually impossible. :lol:

Every time this bug comes up it's from a person running the game on two PS4s. Somebody once suggested the problem arises when the save file is used on two different game versions.

Did you launch the game after updating on one PS4, and then launch it before updating on the other?

I do understand how saves files work but I will never delete a save file because once its gone, well it is gone for for good.

If you replace your "delete" with "overwrite", then I'm at least 50% ok with your post. xD

Again, I still have my Save File, both on my HDD and on PS Plus (I can even show you while offline if you wish), but while the Screen kept black and I created a "New Game" the Game decides to sync this "New Game" with my older Save File somewhere on PD Servers. Now everytime when I get back online, it takes this "overwritten" Save File and ignoring my old one on the HDD. In fact it overwrites that one from the HDD as well.

Every time this bug comes up it's from a person running the game on two PS4s. Somebody once suggested the problem arises when the save file is used on two different game versions.

Did you launch the game after updating on one PS4, and then launch it before updating on the other?

No, I launched it on both PS4's after updated on both. Actually I barely play it on the 2nd PS4 and I tested it only there because I wanted to test if this is just a bug from the first PS4, but it showed the same Error.

This is also impossible what you write since afaik the Game refuses to sync anything online when you start a Game not being updated on the newest Version. So starting the Game on an older Version won't connect online to PD Servers.

Uhm, actually I don't have the game yet so that's why I had no idea what I said was actually impossible. :lol:

You can thank me later --> https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/manual/#!/save/content01

Last edited:
After installing the newest Update from today on two PS4's I got the same Bug like in the linked Post above, that the screen keeps completely black and only the smart part on the top right corner gets barely visible, where you see your earned Credits, Mileage and so on. So I tried to investigate this Error.

Like every "pro" does, I backup'ed my Save Files online via this PS Plus service. My first idea was that maybe there is something wrong with the Save File, so I deleted it from the Harddrive and tried to run the Game again. It asked me if I want to use my Save File, "found online" (I guess the GT Sport Servers has an Backup as well after each sync it makes). I clicked on yes, but again = Black Screen.

Ok so I thought maybe when I create a New Game, this will maybe work. So again deleting the Save Files from the internal Harddrive, but this time I "created a New Game", which was a HUGE mistake! The screen still kept black but it seems it still synced the "new created Save File" online with my PSN Account without knowing since the screen was still black (so please don't tell I'm stupid or so - Thanks)!
Quick summary here.

You experienced a network communication error (paragraph 1).
You deleted your local save (paragraph 2).
You started a new game from scratch (paragraph 3).
When the game next communicated with the server it saved the new game as your remote save (paragraph 3).
Now the game won't recognise your stored, old local save.

That's pretty much how it's intended to work. The remote save essentially acts as a verification of the local save. It uses whichever game save is newer, and in your case that's the started-afresh local gamesave or the synched version of the started-afresh remote gamesave.

The old, local gamesave will of course work without issue so long as the game does not try to verify it over the network. As soon as it does, it'll use the newest save available to it... the new blanked one stored remotely.

Quick summary here.

You experienced a network communication error (paragraph 1).
You deleted your local save (paragraph 2).
You started a new game from scratch (paragraph 3).
When the game next communicated with the server it saved the new game as your remote save (paragraph 3).
Now the game won't recognise your stored, old local save.

That's pretty much how it's intended to work. The remote save essentially acts as a verification of the local save. It uses whichever game save is newer, and in your case that's the started-afresh local gamesave or the synched version of the started-afresh remote gamesave.

The old, local gamesave will of course work without issue so long as the game does not try to verify it over the network. As soon as it does, it'll use the newest save available to it... the new blanked one stored remotely.

100% correct (except for paragraph 2), I knew it before as well. I know it's my own fault (still saying the screen kept black because the Game refused to load properly) and I'm not here to search any excuses to no one, but still, all I wanted was to test the new cars on this update and it didn't worked for me.

And as said before, even this "new remotely created savefile" won't load properly as well, with the same bug keeping the Screen black so long you start the Game while online. And since I got this on both my PS4's, I think this isn't a problem from my side, sorry.

Maybe I should add an Screenshot but well, there is nothing much to see when the Game shows a Black screen only. :)

And as said before, even this "new remotely created savefile" won't load properly as well, with the same bug keeping the Screen black so long you start the Game while online. And since I got this on both my PS4's, I think this isn't a problem from my side, sorry.

Maybe I should add an Screenshot but well, there is nothing much to see when the Game shows a Black screen only.
It's a network issue. Unplug the network cable, count to 10, plug it back in. Then go clear your game's network cache.

Check the console's network and IP settings (and your router's too), just for good measure. What DNS are you using?

It's a network issue. Unplug the network cable, count to 10, plug it back in. Then go clear your game's network cache.

Check the console's network and IP settings (and your router's too), just for good measure. What DNS are you using?

I highly doubt that this will work but I will test this now.

Didn't specified any DNS settings, so I guess a standard one?

I highly doubt that this will work but I will test this now.

Didn't specified any DNS settings, so I guess a standard one?
If you haven't manually set up a static IP address for the console, it's unlikely you'll have set the DNS. It's worth doing both, and also putting the main console's IP address in the router DMZ.

You're probably just using your ISP's DNS. Set it to OpenDNS (208.67.220.220, 208.67.222.222) or Google (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4), and do so in the router as well.

If you haven't manually set up a static IP address for the console, it's unlikely you'll have set the DNS. It's worth doing both, and also putting the main console's IP address in the router DMZ.

You're probably just using your ISP's DNS. Set it to OpenDNS (208.67.220.220, 208.67.222.222) or Google (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4), and do so in the router as well.

No I changed nothing, neither my IP, nor any DNS. Why I should when it worked before the update?

Cleared the Cache, when I can trust the message, then it deleted "3 MB". Even restarted the PS4 after that, same result. Screen keeps black.

All you needed to do was to go to your network settings and turn the internet off and on again (with the game running), that solves the problem 100% of the time, it's not a permanent fix but it works every single time i get a black screen

I am very sorry to hear about your save :(

I fear this every time I play or when there is and update.

Can I ask, did you also loose your xp progression or only cars and credits ?

Also I think all times I heard about someone loosing the save it involved having the same account using two different playstations.

All you needed to do was to go to your network settings and turn the internet off and on again (with the game running), that solves the problem 100% of the time, it's not a permanent fix but it works every single time i get a black screen
Same here in Germany. Go to "settings"-"network"-"check internet connection", done.

Found this out for myself but too late. How you describes it sounds like you do this everyday.

I am very sorry to hear about your save :(

I fear this every time I play or when there is and update.

Can I ask, did you also loose your xp progression or only cars and credits ?

Also I think all times I heard about someone loosing the save it involved having the same account using two different playstations.

Yes, XP and this Driver Ratings for online Racing as well :( (but OK I wasn’t the fastest one, had only a B)

I doubt that with the multiple consoles thing, when both showed the same error.

Same here in Germany. Go to "settings"-"network"-"check internet connection", done.

Also speaking about a „Network Error“ itself is not correct in my eyes as well, since the Game works in the background as usual, even the BGM can be heard and syncing works as well, as you learned.

Last edited:
Back