Newest Update (Version 1.47) destroyed my Save File (Thank You Polyphony Digital) !!!

• Thread starter Roxanne
  • 53 comments
I got the same Bug like in the linked Post above, that the screen keeps completely black and only the smart part on the top right corner gets barely visible, where you see your earned Credits, Mileage and so on.
My GTS does this every day. I leave it for a couple of minutes and it loads fine. I put it down to my crappy internet connection.

Why I should when it worked before the update?
Well, the general idea is troubleshooting and optimisation - if you haven't done these things, your connection is not as good as it can be (optimised), and until it's as good as it can be it can't be eliminated as part of the problem (troubleshooting).

That it's occurred after an update is almost incidental. If the update were the issue, it'd be extremely widespread. Something as simple as a DNS update that hasn't propagated as far as your ISP yet can definitely cause the hesitation you've been seeing. Switching to OpenDNS or Google DNS will ameliorate that - and while you're at it, you may as well set up static IPs and DMZ it, because that's the best way to get data in and out of your PS4 without anything blocking its path.

Of course nothing will bring back your data (although you could try your local Sony office to see if you can get car tickets to rebuild your vehicle collection), but that came about after the network issue made you look for solutions. If we can solve that for you, it won't happen again.

So from what i understand You got a black screen (like many of us) and instead of doing the simple "turn it off and on again " or close the application and start the game again (thats what i do) or asking anyone here things you went and deleted your save file then started a new one but the server backup fused them so now you are stuck with a black screen and empty handed . Yes the always online thing is 🤬 however im sorry bud you only have yourself to blame on this one .

My GTS does this every day. I leave it for a couple of minutes and it loads fine. I put it down to my crappy internet connection.

Never experienced that before since Launch of this Game, as explained before, but how many we speak about "a couple of minutes" so I can test this as well?

Well, the general idea is troubleshooting and optimisation - if you haven't done these things, your connection is not as good as it can be (optimised), and until it's as good as it can be it can't be eliminated as part of the problem (troubleshooting).

That it's occurred after an update is almost incidental. If the update were the issue, it'd be extremely widespread. Something as simple as a DNS update that hasn't propagated as far as your ISP yet can definitely cause the hesitation you've been seeing. Switching to OpenDNS or Google DNS will ameliorate that - and while you're at it, you may as well set up static IPs and DMZ it, because that's the best way to get data in and out of your PS4 without anything blocking its path.

Of course nothing will bring back your data (although you could try your local Sony office to see if you can get car tickets to rebuild your vehicle collection), but that came about after the network issue made you look for solutions. If we can solve that for you, it won't happen again.

To be honest, I don't know how to change such settings for my own, since I'm not an expert, especially not if I would need to change this for my Router.

With due respect but how you can say this that the "it'd be extremely widespread" but now I read from other users here, which had such problems already before (especially when they say they get this every day)? Ok this means indeed that it's (maybe) not the update but the day before the update still worked fine for me. And when this problem occured already before for other users, then Sony or PD can't at least do some research to avoid such things in future? I thought updates were there to fix such problems, not to create new ones!

I doubt that Sony have any interest to help me when it was my own failure.

So from what i understand You got a black screen (like many of us) and instead of doing the simple "turn it off and on again " or close the application and start the game again (thats what i do) or asking anyone here things you went and deleted your save file then started a new one but the server backup fused them so now you are stuck with a black screen and empty handed . Yes the always online thing is 🤬 however im sorry bud you only have yourself to blame on this one .

Sorry for being such a stupid noob.

Last edited:
Never experienced that before since Launch of this Game, as explained before, but how many we speak about "a couple of minutes" so I can test this as well?

To be honest, I don't know how to change such settings for my own, since I'm not an expert, especially not if I would need to change this for my Router.

With due respect but how you can say this that the "it'd be extremely widespread" but now I read from other users here, which had such problems already before (especially when they say they get this every day)? Ok this means indeed that it's (maybe) not the update but the day before the update still worked fine for me. And when this problem occured already before for other users, then Sony or PD can't at least do some research to avoid such things in future? I thought updates were there to fix such problems, not to create new ones!

Sorry for being such a stupid noob.
You are not stupid mate but always remember to ask for help first we don't bite :lol:.

Seems I am since it seems that all of you experience this nearly every day and I'm the only one who never saw such a behaviour before.
Nah you just got lucky i had / may still have a bug which dosen't allow me to enter in sport mode race since last year :( .

It all depends on what the router is, but it shouldn't be hugely complex. I've written a guide here before:
So GT Sport - like GT6 and GT5, and GT5P - is a bit sensitive to network environments, and a connection that's fine one day (or hour) might be ropey the next. There's an "easy" way to optimise your own network environment and make it as stable and friendly as possible.

Step 1 - Wire it in
A wired connection is innately more stable (and marginally broader and more responsive) than a wireless one.

Step 2 - Static IP address
This is a little more complicated and requires knowing a very small amount about your home network.

In essence, your router (the thing that plugs into the outside world) has a small amount of addresses (called IP addresses) that it assigns to the devices connecting to it. It receives information from the outside world, works out which device it has to go to and sends it there. Your device also sends information to it, which the router translates to show which device it has come from, and sends it out. This is a function known as "Network Address Translation" (NAT). Now you know what "NAT Type" means - the type of NAT currently used. NAT Type 2 is best and NAT Type 3 is the worst, for really boring reasons. If you have NAT Type 3 you will absolutely need to do the rest of this list.

If left to its own devices (it probably would), the router will assign IP addresses automatically. This means that every time a device is turned on, the router gives it a number. This is usually sequential, but not always, and known as DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). If you have lots of devices connected at once, this can sometimes cause issues as a device "wants" the IP address another one is using. It's usually only a hiccup, but it can be bad if you're doing 140mph when it hiccups because your kid is checking their phone...

For stability purposes it's better to assign each and every device in your house its own, permanent IP address. First you'll need to find out what IP addresses your router uses. Usually, this will be 192.168.0.[any number from 2-255], with the router itself as 192.168.0.1, but not always*. Best way to check is to look at the router's own IP address, printed on the back of it. That's the address you'd type into your browser to log into your router's control panel. Once you've found out, pick a number from 2-255...

Then, on the PS4 go to:
Settings (second button from the right hand side)
-> Network
-> Set Up Internet Connection
If you've wired it in as above, pick "use a LAN cable". If not, bad you, pick WiFi.

On the next screen pick "Custom", and then "Manual". Now you need to enter the IP address you've chosen, along with some other... kookier information.

For your IP address enter the number you picked. "Subnet Mask" is even more almost always going to be 255.255.255.0. "Default Gateway" is your router's address. The DNS (Domain Name Server; the servers that change the IP addresses of locations into names, like gtplanet.net) settings are up to you; your ISP has its DNS and these will likely be in the router's control panel under DNS. It's easier to use the free DNS at OpenDNS. These are "208.67.220.220" and "208.67.222.222".

As a random example, the screen should now look something like this:
IP Address - 192.168.0.4
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway - 192.168.0.1
Primary DNS - 208.67.220.220
Secondary DNS - 208.67.222.222

On the next screens hit Automatic, Do Not Use and Test. It'll now do a network test. If you have set ANYTHING wrong, it will fail at the "Obtain IP address" or "Internet Connection" stage. Double check your numbers...

Lastly, it's best to do exactly the same thing in your router, and it's required for the next step. Routers vary wildly in where to find this function, but you should have your own instruction manual for it... It's likely to be under an advanced settings menu, labelled as IP addresses or network configuration or something similar. All you need to do is find your console (this can be tricky, as it may be listed by its MAC address; you can find your console's MAC address in its Settings menu somewhere. I forget where. It's a set of six pairs of hexadecimal numbers, from 00-FF, separated by colons), click on that and enter the IP address you picked for it.

If you think this is geeky, I've done it for every device in my house, numbering 25 or so now. And the consoles, laptops, mobiles and computers are separated into dedicated IP blocs, so when we get a new one it's easy to remember what the next number should be. NEEEEEEEEEEEEEERD!

Step 3 - DMZ
So, basically, devices need to send information out through "ports". This is stupendously difficult to explain - you and I might think that a "port" is what you plug a cable into, but it's not. Well, not in this sense - it's a networking thing. Routers have built-in protective "firewalls" that block certain ports under certain conditions. This is great - it helps prevent your computer from being compromised, or sending out information when it has been - but when a console has its ports blocked, you can't game.

Routers also have a place outside of their normal firewall called the DMZ - which, yes, is the Demilitarised Zone. This is a connection where the firewall doesn't exist, so there's no defences. As there's no defences, there's no ports blocked. This is great news for gaming.

Once you've assigned the static IP address to the PS4 both in the console and in the router, you'll want to find your router's DMZ function. Again, this varies wildly, but is often just labelled as "DMZ". It may be under a Firewall menu or similar. Again, consult your manual. You'll need to then assign the console's IP address (or some routers allow you to assign the device, if you can remember its MAC Address, or you gave it a name) to the DMZ.

You can only assign a single device or IP to a DMZ, and your console is the safest thing to put there.

Once you've done all this, the chances are that you won't see any immediate differences in the network test. You might have a slightly lower ping, or a slightly higher bandwidth, but probably won't. But what you will have is the absolute ideal conditions for your console for online gaming, and the only disconnects that will affect you should be when everyone gets booted from a lobby. Or if your internet connection itself falls over, or there's a power cut.

It won't cure low bandwidth, high ping connections, but it will make it more stable and it's everything you can do to make it work. Unless your ISP throttles gaming traffic, which some do, the bastards...

*Mine is NOT the same as this. If yours isn't as well, and you don't know what you're doing, shout at me in PMs and I'll help
If you let me know what your router is, I can help make it a bit less fuzzy for you.

I assign my devices blocs. All the PCs are 192.168.0.5x, all the consoles are 6x, all the phones/tablets are 7x, all the laptops are 8x, and the printer is 95. 'Cos nerd.

If you still have a copy of your old local save game, you can probably talk them into it.

So long we paid for the Game ..........
Technically i didn't pay for it (PS4 Bundle) so im not to bothered 👍 anyway don't worry getting your stuff back shoulden't be too hard so just give it a bit until your anger goes away and start again if you want (i wish i could help but i can't)

Its a blessing in disguise, once you collect everything / upgrade & paint up the game goes a bit stale. Most of the cars will be back via daily roulette, and you now know which cars to focus on... Deleting your game file and re-installing might have been the better option (albeit lengthy) I always leave my save files intact when juggling my ps4 HD space / they come right back to the same state once re-installed / updated.

Oh dear,

I know I discussed this already in the "Bug Report Thread" and I'm not the only one, but please bear with me when I create this "clickbaiting" Thread, because I'm pretty "pissed off" at the moment. Thanks in Advance for understanding.

After installing the newest Update from today on two PS4's I got the same Bug like in the linked Post above, that the screen keeps completely black and only the smart part on the top right corner gets barely visible, where you see your earned Credits, Mileage and so on. So I tried to investigate this Error.

Like every "pro" does, I backup'ed my Save Files online via this PS Plus service. My first idea was that maybe there is something wrong with the Save File, so I deleted it from the Harddrive and tried to run the Game again. It asked me if I want to use my Save File, "found online" (I guess the GT Sport Servers has an Backup as well after each sync it makes). I clicked on yes, but again = Black Screen.

Ok so I thought maybe when I create a New Game, this will maybe work. So again deleting the Save Files from the internal Harddrive, but this time I "created a New Game", which was a HUGE mistake! The screen still kept black but it seems it still synced the "new created Save File" online with my PSN Account without knowing since the screen was still black (so please don't tell I'm stupid or so - Thanks)!

Keep in mind that I didn't know that the Game was working in the Backgorund but only with a black screen, so I investigated further. This time I downloaded my Save File from the PS Plus Backup back to my Harddrive, but this time I decided to keep my PS4 offline. And hey, the Game loads fine and I have even a Picture. Wow!

So after confirming all New Messages within this Update, I brought the PS4 back online while in-Game and I choosed to connect to the Servers to get back online. And now every Time when I do this, it overwrites my old Save File with the new created one, where all my Credits, Cars and Achievements got replaced with 50.000 Credits and the Impreza only. And of course it does this everytime, since you can't save your Game while offline !!!

Good Night Polyphony Digital. This was the last Game I bought from you!

PS: By the way, even with the New Save File, when you close the Game, and start it again, the Screen keeps black again and you have to start the Game while your PS4 is offline.
Do you ever upload your own decals? I uploaded decals that had some errors in the file, but the site allowed them to upload.

Every time I tried to do anything I experienced this exact issue of missing menus and black screen until I deleted them.

But as mentioned, my game regularly fades the menus for anything up to 50 seconds then the game loads

It all depends on what the router is, but it shouldn't be hugely complex. I've written a guide here before:

If you let me know what your router is, I can help make it a bit less fuzzy for you.

I assign my devices blocs. All the PCs are 192.168.0.5x, all the consoles are 6x, all the phones/tablets are 7x, all the laptops are 8x, and the printer is 95. 'Cos nerd.

If you still have a copy of your old local save game, you can probably talk them into it.

Thanks for your offer but it isn't needed. I have a custom router given from my provider and I don't live in the US, so I don't think this would work out. Also I'm not interested to change my whole setup on every Device, which is now connected with the Internet only for one Game, especially when every other Game and/or Device works fine.

Technically i didn't pay for it (PS4 Bundle) so im not to bothered 👍 anyway don't worry getting your stuff back shoulden't be too hard so just give it a bit until your anger goes away and start again if you want (i wish i could help but i can't)

Thanks but there is no help needed, I'm not interested to start everything from ground up. I won't play this Game anymore since it's online only.

I made this mistake too. I did. Not PD.

At least I'm not the only one.

Its a blessing in disguise, once you collect everything / upgrade & paint up the game goes a bit stale. Most of the cars will be back via daily roulette, and you now know which cars to focus on... Deleting your game file and re-installing might have been the better option (albeit lengthy) I always leave my save files intact when juggling my ps4 HD space / they come right back to the same state once re-installed / updated.

Not having the interest anymore to start from ground up.

Do you ever upload your own decals? I uploaded decals that had some errors in the file, but the site allowed them to upload.

Every time I tried to do anything I experienced this exact issue of missing menus and black screen until I deleted them.

But as mentioned, my game regularly fades the menus for anything up to 50 seconds then the game loads

No never uploaded my own decals. I'm one of a few people (or maybe the only one) who had no interest at all to create my own Decals. Even when raced online or for some Cups, I always entered with the standard Design. Sometimes I browsed to others Decals and Designs but that was it. Maybe this explains why only 3 MB was deleted when clearing the Cache since I barely used this feature.

I have a custom router given from my provider and I don't live in the US, so I don't think this would work out.
It isn't US-specific. I don't live in the USA either.

A router is a router. It doesn't matter where it came from, it functions the same way - it takes traffic from a network and routes it to the internet, and vice versa.

Also I'm not interested to change my whole setup on every Device, which is now connected with the Internet only for one Game, especially when every other Game and/or Device works fine.
You don't have to change every device (you should - it'll make everything work better than mere "fine"), but if you don't do it on the PS4 you'll perpetually be hobbling yourself with a poor network environment. That'll affect every aspect of your game including - as you've discovered - how long it takes to even boot up. That's to say nothing of the quality of the online racing...

This takes literally 10 minutes if you don't know what you're doing, and two if you do. It makes your network environment as good as it can be. If you don't actually want to do it that's fine, but mad.

It isn't US-specific. I don't live in the USA either.

A router is a router. It doesn't matter where it came from, it functions the same way - it takes traffic from a network and routes it to the internet, and vice versa.

You don't have to change every device (you should - it'll make everything work better than mere "fine"), but if you don't do it on the PS4 you'll perpetually be hobbling yourself with a poor network environment. That'll affect every aspect of your game including - as you've discovered - how long it takes to even boot up. That's to say nothing of the quality of the online racing...

This takes literally 10 minutes if you don't know what you're doing, and two if you do. It makes your network environment as good as it can be. If you don't actually want to do it that's fine, but mad.

Thanks, I read your Tutorial. Problem is I already fail in your 1st step because everything is connected wirelessly (maybe this explains why I never finished 1st Place in any Online Race :)

What I meant is that I live neither in US, nor in UK, so you would need to deal with a different language. Thanks again for your offer. I recognized that you are an expert in these things when I read your Tutorial but I lost my Interest since it won't bring my old Profile back as you know and I hope you can understand this. There is also no need to be mad now.

As someone else said, if you experience a black screen when opening the game, leave it like that and it'll come back to "life". I had this issue once (I play the game since launch) and I left the game running. After 5 minutes it was fine.
You should have asked here before deleting your data.
At the end of the day, don't be sad, it's just a game. And the daily roulette will get you back your cars pretty fast.

If you replace your "delete" with "overwrite", then I'm at least 50% ok with your post. xD

Again, I still have my Save File, both on my HDD and on PS Plus (I can even show you while offline if you wish), but while the Screen kept black and I created a "New Game" the Game decides to sync this "New Game" with my older Save File somewhere on PD Servers. Now everytime when I get back online, it takes this "overwritten" Save File and ignoring my old one on the HDD. In fact it overwrites that one from the HDD as well
You should never have started a New game in the first place, because a new game will overwrite the server side save. I hope you do not have Auto save set to on, because it goes straight to your online storage in PS Plus and always do a manual save to PS Plus.

As someone else said, if you experience a black screen when opening the game, leave it like that and it'll come back to "life". I had this issue once (I play the game since launch) and I left the game running. After 5 minutes it was fine.
You should have asked here before deleting your data.
At the end of the day, don't be sad, it's just a game. And the daily roulette will get you back your cars pretty fast.

Yes sir. Next time I will ask, if there is a "next time".

You should never have started a New game in the first place, because a new game will overwrite the server side save. I hope you do not have Auto save set to on, because it goes straight to your online storage in PS Plus and always do a manual save to PS Plus.

The PS Pljus save and the one on PD Servers are separated. It has nothing to do with the PS Plus Save File. I have still my Save File as you know when reading my Post carefully and still can't use it anymore.

What I meant is that I live neither in US, nor in UK, so you would need to deal with a different language.
That's not an issue. Even if I couldn't read other languages - and I can, to varying speeds and accuracy - the technical stuff is usually not that hard to translate because there's international standards and they share roots, and often it doesn't even need translating (especially in German)... and we're dealing with numbers anyway.

The PS Pljus save and the one on PD Servers are separated. It has nothing to do with the PS Plus Save File. I have still my Save File as you know when reading my Post carefully and still can't use it anymore.
I know they are separated but if you have your Auto save set to ON, on your PS4 the server save also saves onto PS Plus storage save. So always do a manual save to your PS Plus storage and that what I do daily for backup.

Have you still got a save file on your PS Plus online storage ?.

That's not an issue. Even if I couldn't read other languages - and I can, to varying speeds and accuracy - the technical stuff is usually not that hard to translate because there's international standards and they share roots, and often it doesn't even need translating (especially in German)... and we're dealing with numbers anyway.

Wonder how you know my Router actually speaks German.

I know they are separated but if you have your Auto save set to ON, on your PS4 the server save also saves onto PS Plus storage save. So always do a manual save to your PS Plus storage and that what I do daily for backup.

Have you still got a save file on your PS Plus online storage ?.

This is not true and I can easily deny your argument. Yes I have still my old Save File on PS Plus.

You can test this yourself. If you have two PS4's, then only one of them is the "activated one as a primary PS4" and the "Auto-Upload" Feature is only available on the PS4, which is set as primary. If you want to activate the Auto-Upload Feature on your 2nd PS4, it will give you an error, that you need to overwrite the Activation of your first primary PS4 at first. This means that on a 2nd PS4, there is no Auto-Upload on PS Plus available, and since I played on my 2nd PS4, only the Game itselfs uploads it's Save File on PD's own Servers automaticlly. This is why I still have my original Save File, since I made a backup on PS Plus manually.

https://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/data_upload.html

Before using this feature, you'll need to:
- Activate the system as your primary PS4™ system.

So please stop that PD Servers and PS Plus Servers using the same Save File. We discussed this already in Page 1 and PD Servers gives a **** what Save File you have on your PS Plus Account. The Game uses his own one, even when you play on an activated PS4 with the Auto-Upload Feature activated. If I would done the same mistake I did on my primary activated PS4 - where the Auto-Upload Feature is activated - then I would infact lose my PS Plus Save File as well. This proofs more that those Save Files on PS Plus and PD Servers aren't connected in any kind at all !!!

Oh and yes, this actually means that using this Auto-Upload Feature for that specific Game is actually useless and afaik, it is only this Game who does this.

Bad that this has happened to you but maybe you can have some fun starting the game again?

Kinda difficult when playing a Game which doesn't make fun anymore.

Last edited:
Wonder how you know my Router actually speaks German.

This is not true and I can easily deny your argument. Yes I have still my old Save File on PS Plus.

You can test this yourself. If you have two PS4's, then only one of them is the "activated one as a primary PS4" and the "Auto-Upload" Feature is only available on the PS4, which is set as primary. If you want to activate the Auto-Upload Feature on your 2nd PS4, it will give you an error, that you need to overwrite the Activation of your first primary PS4 at first. This means that on a 2nd PS4, there is no Auto-Upload on PS Plus available, and since I played on my 2nd PS4, only the Game itselfs uploads it's Save File on PD's own Servers automaticlly. This is why I still have my original Save File, since I made a backup on PS Plus manually.
If you still have your original Save File on your PS plus online storage, contact PlayStation support and see what they say.

Back