Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,724 comments
The low and slick design of the MK4 seems to be overtaken by stubby design of the 86, perhaps for performance?

supra.JPG

supra03.jpg

2017-toyota-86-front-three-quarter-2-jpg.665950

The low and slick design of the MK4 seems to be overtaken by stubby design of the 86, perhaps for performance?

supra.JPG

supra03.jpg

2017-toyota-86-front-three-quarter-2-jpg.665950
No because this Supra is sharing a chassis with the new BMW Z5. The concept was a low and slick car, probably just wanted to be able to make an essentially beefed up 86.

No because this Supra is sharing a chassis with the new BMW Z5. The concept was a low and slick car, probably just wanted to be able to make an essentially beefed up 86.

To me the car doesn't feel special, so far honestly I prefer the design of the 86, looks much more modern (also 5 years older).

To me the car doesn't feel special, so far honestly I prefer the design of the 86, looks much more modern (also 5 years older).

The Supra Prototype is wearing heaps of padding, especially between the nose and A-pillar. I'd say there are plenty of styling elements hidden which could drastically change someone's opinion on the aesthetics.

The Supra Prototype is wearing heaps of padding, especially between the nose and A-pillar. I'd say there are plenty of styling elements hidden which could drastically change someone's opinion on the aesthetics.
This.

You can see the extra panels in the latest image. A couple are riveted to the hood, and if you look at the bumper line where it meets the fenders, the gap is huge. So they have to have a false bumper on the front covering the real nose.

Even that doesn't really fix the issues, though. What that one does well is that all three openings are roughly the same size width-wise, and they extend farther across the bumper. That's fine, but with the decreased height of the openings, it just serves to make it more sedate and boring. The aggression (albeit ugly aggression) has been replaced with ok-looking "meh". That's why I brought up the facelifted Toyota 86. That, to me, would be the ideal proportions to base this new Supra on. It shouldn't necessarily be a straight rip from the 86, but that would be the right base design to start from.

Exactly what I referred to.
Unless that camo is packing some extra padding under it (could very well be) than I have to say the proportions of the new Supra look very ordinary, maybe even a little frumpy. The ancient 370z has a more exciting shape.

This.

You can see the extra panels in the latest image. A couple are riveted to the hood, and if you look at the bumper line where it meets the fenders, the gap is huge. So they have to have a false bumper on the front covering the real nose.

Thank god they ditched the retro taillights. That and the previous headlights on the mule made it look like a car from 2008. It's much better now.

Can't wait to see the race version at The Nurb 24. I think this car will revive the Z and Mazda(I'm not sure the RF is enough) sport coupes. Again, I'm glad Toyota are making this.

Can't wait to see the race version at The Nurb 24. I think this car will revive the Z and Mazda(I'm not sure the RF is enough) sport coupes. Again, I'm glad Toyota are making this.

If sales are there I suppose, but I don't recall any Z being a rival of the Supra name since the early 80s and late 70s and even then they hardly met on track, so not sure how this would do it either. Mazda maybe, but the last production based sports car racing they took part in was limited and not that successful with the RX8

Last edited:
If sales are there I suppose, but I don't recall any Z being a rival of the Supra name since the early 80s and late 70s and even then then hardly met on track, so not sure how this would do it either. Mazda maybe, but the last production based sports car racing they took part in was limited and not that successful with the RX8
Not as in a rival. More of a revival of the japanese sports coupe.
When the 350Z came out, it did seem expensive at the time. Nissan tried to sell it at the tricky $24,999.95 "below $25k" mark(I remember there was an optional model with Brembos and Rays wheels $33k?). I feel this could do the same. Almost a sports GT the way the 2000GT was. Wasn't as fast as a Mustang or Camaro and still won't be. I like where the Supra will slot. So, this gives it a chance to grow.

This may give Nissan the impetus to bring the Z back to its roots.

I'm curious about the 2L 4cyl. engine option, though. In terms of handling and behavior, I'm hoping they carry over the GT86 DNA to this car. But in terms of quality, both interior and exterior, I'm guessing this will be a step up? I'm curious as to how this car will perform with the smaller engine option as I'm trying to understand why I would sell my GT86 for a Supra that is probably going to be no faster with the 2L 4cyl engine option?

Surely one MUST opt for the bigger engine with this car?

Not as in a rival. More of a revival of the japanese sports coupe.
When the 350Z came out, it did seem expensive at the time. Nissan tried to sell it at the tricky $24,999.95 "below $25k" mark(I remember there was an optional model with Brembos and Rays wheels $33k?). I feel this could do the same. Almost a sports GT the way the 2000GT was. Wasn't as fast as a Mustang or Camaro and still won't be. I like where the Supra will slot. So, this gives it a chance to grow.

This may give Nissan the impetus to bring the Z back to its roots.

It's a nice dream, but I don't see it being all that realistic. We have no idea if it will be as fast as the Mustang or Camaro in some variant, since there is a range of engines on the table, and also because it's a smaller sport coupe than those two. So it could challenge them, on various levels, and further into the future depending on how long it is to be around this time.

The problem is Toyota hasn't really given the public an idea on what point this new car will be revived in capacity to the original Supra name plate. With the info given the lowest option does give a 2000GT vibe, with the more higher end being Mk3 maybe early Mk4 territory all of it with a modern take. However, the segment it slots into is a bit niche I think and why there probably wont be a massive rush from the other brands to compete. Sales will justify others wanting to compete, and that takes time. So while hopeful, it wont be seen immediately I think, if ever.

So I was looking at the old pictures and I noticed this.

upload_2017-8-17_19-35-20.png

The red looks to be maybe active aero?

If you look closely in the blue, you can see that the camo is an extra layer so let's not judge the body lines and shape yet.

Forgive me if this sounds a bit slowpokish, but has Toyota confirmed they are selling this Supra on North American shores?

View attachment 690996

Interesting how this close-up clearly shows that almost the whole body is still wearing padding not just the camo. Looks like the production version will be a lot less lumpen than any of the test mules have appeared.

Test engineers wearing BMW overalls? Are BMW doing the final tuning of it?

Back