NFS Payback 2017 - Post your latest Photos and Screenshots

• Thread starter torque99
  • 172 comments
England
England
With the addition again of a Photomode in NFS I thought I would set up a new thread to keep it separate from NFS2015.

I hope they patch it slightly as I feel NFS2015 graphics were a little better. Any how here are my First Shots:

To help on loading the pages I will add spoilers for any additional ones
It may help if you post under the Photos :
PC, XBox One or PS4 so we can see the difference if you can 👍

#PS4 Pro 3840x2160px

Thanks buddy. Looking forward to more!

I haven't played yet obviously, but it seems like the graphics are better than 2015. At least they are waaay sharper. 2015 was gorgeous, but felt like the chromatic aberration and soft anti-aliasing made everything too blurry, especially in the garage. Re-watching YouTube videos of 2015 confirms this. So out of curiosity, what leads you to say that the graphics aren't as good?

Also, based on that opinion, would you wager a guess as to whether or not it will require more graphics processing power than the previous one? I'm asking because I can barely play the previous one with my current PC setup, so I assumed there would be no way I could play Payback. But maybe I could run it after all?

B6KBuq.png

X8YUBF.png

AUVLPy.png

1R13tb.png

cGIgHE.png

^^^ The more pictures I'm seeing the more I understand what you guys are saying. The lighting seems great, IMO, but it seems like building facades and other objects are very low polygon. Sometimes everything, even the cars, seem to take on a cell-shaded characteristic. As far as the poly-count, it makes sense for a racing game, and I would wager it wouldn't seem as big of a deal if not for photomode, which allows us to critique the world at a standstill. Seems like I remember when a mod came out to adjust the color settings for 2015 to simulate daylight, you could see a substantial drop in detail that was previously masked by the darkness.

^^^ What happened?!? Your Mustang has no axles or suspension!! LOL

It's still a good looking game, that's for sure.

It was a bad take off! But don't worry they all stayed on and were there when I landed. The axle appeared again...:lol:👍

Also NFS on twitter re-tweeted these pictures so they must have liked it as well ..:yuck: :cheers:

It is also a big shame they did not put any shutter speed of any sort in on the photo mode, even on pause at high speed the tarmac is still and the wheels blur! (Which looks really strange) I also sent nfs/ghost games a tweet saying this and a future update? but no reply as of yet.:ill:

Last edited:
^^^ The more pictures I'm seeing the more I understand what you guys are saying. The lighting seems great, IMO, but it seems like building facades and other objects are very low polygon. Sometimes everything, even the cars, seem to take on a cell-shaded characteristic. As far as the poly-count, it makes sense for a racing game, and I would wager it wouldn't seem as big of a deal if not for photomode, which allows us to critique the world at a standstill. Seems like I remember when a mod came out to adjust the color settings for 2015 to simulate daylight, you could see a substantial drop in detail that was previously masked by the darkness.
You have to remember, they have a day and night cycle now, so that is taking a lot of resources to run. They likely pulled some detail from modeling in order to make room for something like that, or pulled it from other area's.

^^^ Could be. And it's all theory, but I remember hearing YouTubers surmise that the reason 2015 was so nicely optimized was because the "always nighttime" could allow them to cheat quite a bit with draw distance and detail. It's entirely possible that they cut down on some reflections and texture detail for Payback in order to achieve the same results but with a much larger horizon.

^^^ Could be. And it's all theory, but I remember hearing YouTubers surmise that the reason 2015 was so nicely optimized was because the "always nighttime" could allow them to cheat quite a bit with draw distance and detail. It's entirely possible that they cut down on some reflections and texture detail for Payback in order to achieve the same results but with a much larger horizon.
I don't think it's the fact that it was the night time setting, but more so that it was a fixed static lighting model, rather than a dynamic one like it is now.

^^^ I'm sure there's a lot of complexities to it and I'm certainly no programmer. All I know is if you watch BlackPanthaa's video where he messes around with the daylight mod, you can tell that the draw distance and detail for the background environment was reduced dramatically compared to Payback.

^^^ I'm sure there's a lot of complexities to it and I'm certainly no programmer. All I know is if you watch BlackPanthaa's video where he messes around with the daylight mod, you can tell that the draw distance and detail for the background environment was reduced dramatically compared to Payback.
That's actually quite true too, as a matter of fact. It's easier to hide inconsistencies if everything is dark.

The Detail is much improved. The odd Pop up and slow load but it is so much sharper now. Detail like tattoo on arm and body panels. Although shutter speed is not present still they have blurred the road at speed a little so at least it looks a little better now on the move. (I hope they patch that again with more blur and a stronger aperture/DOF in the future). Tweeted again as they must have listened to the last feedback.

This is excellent news, having a 100% static road looked very, very strange.

This is excellent news, having a 100% static road looked very, very strange.

Yeah only very slightly though, if you zoom in on a painted white line you see it is blurred/moved now. Some roads still look still and it needs more speed to the road on pause or a shutter speed setting built in ;)

Only very small minor niggles but it also needs a little more aperture/blur in the DOF focus as it still does not blur the background strong enough.

It is definitely an improvement. Not sure what happened on the original game but hope for more patches like this one to keep improving the game 👍

My main problem with the DOF during the trial was that there was no way to blur the foreground 👎

Back