NHL 2010-2011 Thread

• Thread starter Max Powers
  • 389 comments

Max Powers

(Banned)
XBL: MelBlount
MelBlount
Free agency begins today at noon, and it doesn't make sense to keep discussing next season in the 09-10 thread.

Can't wait to see what kind of moves Brian Burke and the Maple Leafs make today.:crazy:

Edit 1: First big pick up is........
Colby Armstrong for 3M.

My analysis: WHAT A JOKE! $3M per season for a third line grinder who scored 29 points in a full season last year? So now the leafs have 15 grinders and 1 skilled forward...nice.

We need top 6 forwards! That's it, and Colby Armstrong is in no way, shape, or form a top 6 forward.

Last edited:
I'm really happy with what the Habs have done so far. Signed Pyatt, Darche, and Boyd to cheap deals, signed Auld for 1M, got Plekanec locked up for 5 (EDIT: 6!) years, picked up Eller for a Halak (Who was gonna ask for too much), the future looks bright.

RE: Armstrong at 3M per, that's garbage. The guy couldn't even break 50 points playing with Sidney Crosby, but he's going to suddenly be the big top 6 forward the leafs need while playing with Grabovski? Pfffttt.

Last edited:
I'm a little late to this thread but I think Martin and Michalek were huge pickups for the Penguins. Defense was a position they failed to stabilize after Scuderi and Gill left last year. Also there are rumblings that they might pair Staal and Malkin together to solve the Pens problem at wing. I don't know if that's the answer, but it is about all they can afford at the moment.

After two months the Kovalchuk novel is over and he signed with the Devils. They lost money and draft picks. I pick the Bruins to win it all this year

Personally, I'm going with the LA Kings or the Canucks. I feel that they're both two good teams who have been building towards a deep run for years, and I feel that the Canucks have really taken a big step forward with their stronger Defense. The Kings have some promising young stars in Kopitar, Doughty, Brown, etc. As well as a solid goalie in Jonathan Quick.

I still think the Capitals have the pieces for a good run as well, but they're not getting anywhere with Bruce Boudreau at the helm. His strategy on the ice consists of "play Ovechkin and pray he does a highlight reel move". I think the Habs took a step forward this offseason, but I don't think they'll repeat last season's playoff run.

I think the Habs took a step forward this offseason, but I don't think they'll repeat last season's playoff run.

I agree by choosing a goalie (good luck Jaroslav); but they were too small upfront (Gomez, Gionta, Cammaleri), they need more goals; but I will always be a supporter/fan 👍

Who'd think the first goal of the season would be by Minnesota in Finland.

Glad the season's back going again and pulling for the Caps again, last year was just a warm up.

Game #1 of the 2010/11 season goes to the Carolina Hurricanes. Pretty entertaining game. Some skill goals, some fluky goals, great saves. 4 more games to go today, going to be quite fun.

Missing the Leafs game b/c of class tonight, so weak.

Back in the Burgh, I saw people already lined up for student rush at 7am. Chances are most of them won't even get tickets LOL. People really have hopped the bandwagon here, I remember back in high school (~2003-2004) when you could show up to student rush 30min before the game and be guaranteed a good seat. I'm just hoping my buddy who scores a lot of free tickets can get one for a Leafs/Pens game this year :).

It's a bit of bandwagon, and probably a bit of "I want to say I was at the first game at the new arena." I say let them hop on, the more $$$ we can make now and bank, there just might be some left when the inevitable stretch of mediocrity comes. I won't be at tonight's game but I will be at Saturday's. It will be fun watching Carey Price choke in person.

Class let out early, so I turned on the game during the 1st intermission, but things look good so far. Tomas Kaberle never ceases to amaze me with his skating ability.

also it looks like you're gonna owe me 5 e dollars noob

I was just about to say the Pens game wasn't looking too good, and they score. They need to stop with the sloppy play though. I am, however, damn impressed with Philly's goalie Bobrovsky. He's been real sound tonight, but can he keep it up over a season being a rookie and all.

Didn't get to watch the pens game, but it looks like they lost a close one.

I don't know how long I will be able to say this for, so I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

THE TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS ARE IN 1ST PLACE!:dunce::dunce::dunce: <<<<<those are party hates btw

Not only first place, but undefeated.

It was like Carey Price all over again in the Pens game, getting bested by a goalie playing in his first game. Can't pin the loss on just one thing though. They got good shots and hit posts, Bobrovsky was stellar, there were a couple lapses on D. It was a game they could have won but came up short.

I thought Carey Price played a solid game tonight. He made an absolutely miraculous save at the end on Kessel.

What really killed Les Habitants tonight, was Jacques Martin and his passive 1-4 neutral zone trap. Why in the hell would you play a passive, defensive system, while your team is losing. Just baffles me.

Oh and Max, I'll have to get that to you when the paycheque comes in.

Loved seeing Hal Gill aka the Human Pylon aka Aki Berg II get smoked on the Kessel goal where he handed Kessel the breakaway, and then get embarrassed again by McArthur for the 3rd goal.

I don't really have a problem with the Habs, Hal Gill is just the worst skating player in the entire NHL.

And the first shutout of he season goes to...Nikolai Khabibulin?!?! The Oilers are definitely NOT last years Oilers. They looked in complete control all game. It wasn't as if Calgary didn't show up, they did have 37 shots, the Oil just did everything right. And Raitis Ivanans got knocked the fark out in a fight late in the game.

Colorado wins on an OT goal by Stastny. Turco is showing his age, giving up very soft goals. Chicago could be in trouble if he can't get on form.

Not only first place, but undefeated.

It was like Carey Price all over again in the Pens game, getting bested by a goalie playing in his first game. Can't pin the loss on just one thing though. They got good shots and hit posts, Bobrovsky was stellar, there were a couple lapses on D. It was a game they could have won but came up short.

Bobrovsky was good enough last night, I wouldn't blame the loss on Fleury. The first goal I don't know a goalie in the world that would stop that one. The 3rd he was hung out to dry on and I honestly don't remember the Flyers second goal. I thought the Pens did a medicore job of penalty killing last night (they could have used staal) and I don't know if it was just me but there breakout looked awful. They didn't seem to be making tape to tape passes, instead opting for just trying to chip the puck into areas. The D will need a few games before it gels. But they still had a chance to win, they just failed to convert scoring opportunities.

Holy crap Kovalchuk is on fire. Bit past half way thru the 1st and he's been all over the ice. 2 assists and solid post on a wicked wrister.

Loved seeing Hal Gill aka the Human Pylon aka Aki Berg II get smoked on the Kessel goal where he handed Kessel the breakaway, and then get embarrassed again by McArthur for the 3rd goal.

I don't really have a problem with the Habs, Hal Gill is just the worst skating player in the entire NHL.

Hal Gill is absolutely useless when he's not allowed to clutch and grab like in the playoffs.

Absolute gem of a game by Carey Price tonight. Can't say the same for M-A Fleury though...

Well, the leafs are 2-0, feels good.

Kessel has looked awesome. Biggest surprise for me so far is Clark McArthur. Though it's just 3 pts in two games, he really looks like a good fit on the 2nd line. Also seeing Tim Brent get his 2nd goal in 2 games was pretty cool. Usually journeyman 26 year olds don't get too many shots at the NHL but he really seems to be running with it.

Price looked good the other night too against the mighty leafs. and having cammalleri (i know i spelled that wrong but I DONT FEEL LIKE LOOKING IT UP OK) back is huge.

Actually, you didn't spell it wrong :P

But yeah, Kessel's got 2 goals in 2 games, and it only took Cammalleri 1 game to score twice. I think we all can see who's the better player here. :sly:

I'm having a bit of a dilemma now though.. For a long time the Leafs were easy to hate, they have a pigheaded arrogant GM, and they had a crew of overpaid vets who put up mediocre point totals. Now they have a solid core of younger players who are quite exciting to watch, and it's getting quite difficult to hate them....

(Except for Douche$arek)

Ok, I watched some of the late games then the F1 race after getting home from the Pens game, so I'm finally getting around to posting.

First: Pens new arena. Amazing place. Everything about it is great. I didn't take it all in, but I will next time I go.

Second: The game. It had it's moments of action, but for the most part I thought it was pretty boring, and both teams played kinda sloppy. Another soft goal given up by Fleury. He needs to keep his head in the game for 60 minutes or this is going to happen all season.

Third: Some wild games, kinda disappointed I didn't get to watch most of them. I hope it keeps up all season.

Now, after such a long day, do I even try to get up in about 5 hours to watch the Phx-Bos game.

@ Icarus: Can't wait to see a game there myself, hopefully one in which the leafs pwn the pens.

@noob: So, you even like Grabovski? :) Also I like Cammalleri b/c he's always got that **** eating grin on his face, absolutely drives other teams nuts I can imagine, he's like the Hines Ward of hockey.

The only Habs that I can't stand are Hal Gill and Kostitsyn

Also, Colby Armstrong...I AM NOT IMPRESSED BY YOUR PERFORMANCE!!!

299319.jpg

dsc05769a.jpg

I see what you mean :P

Back