NHL: 2016-2017 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 444 comments
I was watching "Time to Schein" on CBS Sports Network, and there was the mentioning that games were decided much closer in the NHL Playoffs compared to the NBA Playoffs. So if you want competitive sports and you're an NHL fan, you're enjoying some better postseason action among the four major American sports.

We got Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals with Ottawa at Pittsburgh today. This series is tied at 2, so whomever wins this one will have that psychological 3-2 advantage. The Pittsburgh Penguins are the defending champions trying to hold off a very game Ottawa Senators. And really, both the PIT-OTT and ANA-NSH series are great.

Keep enjoying the playoff action!

TOUCHDOWN PENGUINS! The Pittsburgh Penguins did REAL good, beating Ottawa like a drum. The Pens won by a touchdown (and the extra point) 7-0 today. Early and often scoring was the difference in this one. The Ottawa Senators will now need to win two games if they want to play for Lord Stanley's Cup. Otherwise, Pittsburgh will await the Western Conference Finals series winner.

CONTENDER ELIMINATED! Who? The Anaheim Ducks. A 6-3 beating in the Music City was sweet music to the Nashville faithful. The Nashville Predators will meet the winner of the Pittsburgh-Ottawa series to play for Lord Stanley's Cup. So now, half of the Stanley Cup Finals is set. NSH takes the NSH-ANA series 4-2.

Congratulations to Nashville on making it to the Stanley Cup Finals, but also to Anaheim on a great season before being ousted.

After tonight, the Stanley Cup Finals will be set. Will the Nashville Predators face the defending champion Pittsburgh Penguins, or will they face the Ottawa Senators? Tonight's match is Ottawa at Pittsburgh. Sens or Pens? We'll find out after tonight.

Good luck to both Ottawa and Pittsburgh tonight.

Last night saw the Stanley Cup Final become set once Ottawa and Pittsburgh were done with each other. It was tied at 0 after one period, tied at 1 after the 2nd Period, tied at 2 in the 3rd Period... and for Pittsburgh to win 3-2 in Double Overtime. So your Stanley Cup Final for the 2016-2017 season is...

Nashville Predators vs. Pittsburgh Penguins!

By the way... Ottawa Senators = CONTENDER ELIMINATED!

Anyhow, we got Predators and Penguins to play for Lord Stanley's Cup starting this coming Monday. Tell it, GTPlanet- who wins the Stanley Cup this season and (optional) in how many games?

Ladies and gentlemen, we started with 30 teams, all with an equal chance of playing in the postseason. Sixteen made the cut, and we have whitted down the opposition to just two. We got the Nashville Predators making their first Stanley Cup Finals appearance. Opposing "Smashville" are the defending champion Pittsburgh Penguins.

Lord Stanley's beautiful cup will go to the team who wins four games in a Best-of-7 series. Win four, and you're the champion of the 2016-2017 season. Tonight's Game 1 is in Pittsburgh. The game will be on NBC in the United States and TSN in Canada among other sources.

Enjoy the Stanley Cup Finals! Good luck to both Nashville and Pittsburgh, and congratulations to the eventual champions.

It was Pittsburgh who won Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals with a 4-3 victory at home. Tonight, it's Game 2 between the Nashville Predators at the Pittsburgh Penguins. We're either going to see the Pens lead 2-0 in the series or have the series even at one heading into Game 3 in Nashville.

Enjoy tonight's action!

Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals is tonight. This time, the series shifts to Nashville. Can "Smashville" take a game or two in this stretch? Or... will the Predators be in a deeper hole after tonight? The Pittsburgh Penguins are ahead 2-0 in this series.

We got Game 4 of the 2016-2017 Stanley Cup Finals tonight in Nashville. "Smashville" is down 2-1 to Pittsburgh. They can even things up and force a Game 6 with a win tonight. Or, it could be one game from being completely over if Pittsburgh wins.

Good luck again to NSH and PIT.

The NHL Playoffs are better than the NBA Playoffs! Even NBA analyst Charles Barkley says so!

Tonight is Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals. When two teams are tied at 2 in a Best-of-7 series, Game 5 provides the psychological advantage to the winner. We are assured a Game 6 between the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Nashville Predators. However, one team will feel a bit easier with the chance to hoist Lord Stanley's Cup. Tonight's game is in Pittsburgh, and the Home team has won every game so far. One team will move one step closer to winning the Stanley Cup. But... who? We shall see tonight!

Good luck again to both teams. Put on a great show.

Rumours are floating around about a potential trade between the Boston Bruins and the Minnesota Wild.

Jonas Brodin for the 18th overall pick and potentially Ryan Spooner.

I'm lukewarm to this idea, however don't have time to expand on it more rn. I'll be back sometime today to though!

This is the final week of NHL hockey for 2016-2017. However, could tonight be the final night of the season? It will if the Pittsburgh Penguins defeats Nashville in Nashville tonight. "Smashville" is down 3-2, so they need to win tonight to force a Game 7 in Pittsburgh on Wednesday. We'll see what happens as this series continues.

Good luck to Pittsburgh and Nashville tonight.

Tonight would have been Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals had the Nashville Predators force a Game 7 in Nashville. But of course, today would just be a few days since Pittsburgh brought the Stanley Cup back to Pittsburgh while Nashville still wonders what could have been. So to say in ring announcer speak...

"Here are your winners... and still Stanley Cup champions, the Pittsburgh Penguins!"

So "Smashville" got smashed themselves in failing to win Lord Stanley's Cup. I think next Wednesday is the NHL Awards out in Las Vegas or so. This has been another fine season of NHL hockey. For someone who doesn't know hockey all that much, something about the NHL is clicking to me that I don't really feel with the NFL, NBA, or Major League Baseball. I am therefore glad to take in the action that the NHL provides. I am also thankful to have fans chime in regarding the latest goings on in the National Hockey League.

This is then my chance to allow all of you to reflect back on the season and think about what the next season will bring. You all are free to share your thoughts on this past season and look ahead to next season. Maybe we can do this until I or somebody else starts a 2017-2018 season thread of NHL hockey.

I would say that the Pittsburgh Penguins will need to be ready for next season, as all 29 teams will be looking to take the Stanley Cup away from you. But as we all know, that number will be 30, as the Vegas Golden Knights will begin their campaign next season.

Having said all of this, your commentary is welcome.

[UPDATE] Forgot to mention the notion of Vegas for next season.

Well according to what I saw on FOX Sports 1's Bottom Line, players like Petr Mrazek and Matt Dumba are among some of the names that COULD join the Vegas Golden Knights when Vegas releases its roster this coming Wednesday. I know our PinkKitty13 asked if there are any hot trade rumors. It will be interesting to see the initial roster for Vegas once it's released.

Meanwhile, I also read the salary cap in the NHL will now be $75M USD. Salary floor will be about $55.4M USD.

[UPDATE/OMISSION] $55.4M salary floor.

I don't get why people are so high on Dumba. He's barely a 3rd pairing d man. He makes the Wild exponentially worse whenever he's on the ice tbh. His defensive coverage and positioning is shockingly bad and he struggles to play the physical style he wants to play.

However, Scandella has the bigger cap hit, and losing him would allow us to resign Nini Neiddereiter and Mikhail Granlund.

I don't care who Vegas takes, just don't go saying that you're shocked the Wild protected Spurgeon and Brodin over Scandella and Dumba. It's common sense, Spurgeon is one of the top 5 d-men in the NHL, and Brodin has elite potential. Of course protect them

Get your tuxedos or fancy dresses... tonight is the NHL Awards! Also, I learned tonight is the NHL Expansion Draft. So we'll see what the initial roster for the Vegas Golden Knights will be. This Friday will be the NHL Draft setting things up for the 2017-2018 season. I (or someone else) will offer the 2017-2018 NHL thread here on GTPlanet to discuss.

The big names for the Vegas Golden Knights: James Neal and Marc-Andre Fleury. Both are among the players who are gonna be suiting up for Vegas this season. They're both big names and should help provide a leadership role to a new team, and a relatively young team at that. I was surprised by how many players were in their early 20s.

The trade market opens back up at 8am ET/7am State of Hockey time this morning I believe, and there's sure to be a Fleury of action (geddit?)

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back