NHL: 2016-2017 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 444 comments
Both Columbus and Minnesota averted elimination from their recent games. Calgary, however, failed to get out of a 3-0 series hole. So sing along, GTPlanet:

*** cue WipEout series ***
Calgary Flames = "CONTENDER ELIMINATED!"

So there are 15 remaining teams playing for Lord Stanley's Cup. Tonight's games:

* NYR Rangers at MON Canadiens - series tied 2-2
* COL Blue Jackets at PIT Penguins - PIT leads 3-1
* CHI Blackhawks at NSH Predators - CHI leads 3-0
* SJ Sharks at EDM Oilers - series tied 2-2

There's nothing like playoff hockey, right? So go enjoy some NHL hockey tonight if you'll be watching and following tonight's action.
Nashville actually leads their series 3 games to love, not Chicago.

All I can say is thank god it was too nice to sit inside and watch hockey. :lol:

At least I still have the Blues, even if I am slightly mad at them for not letting the series go to 7.

Time to look at the NHL so far.

The following teams have advanced to the next round:
* Nashville (won series 4-0 over Chicago)
* St. Louis (won series 4-1 over Minnesota)
* Anaheim (won series 4-0 over Calgary)
* Edmonton (won series 4-2 over San José)
* New York Rangers (won series 4-2 over Montréal)
* Ottawa (won series 4-2 over Boston)
* Washington (won series 4-2 over Toronto)
* Pittsburgh (won series 4-1 over Columbus)

These teams, as you could tell from the previous section, are eliminated ("CONTENDER ELIMINTED!"):
* Chicago
* Minnesota
* Anaheim
* San José
* Montréal
* Boston
* Toronto
* Columbus

So here are your quarterfinals for the Stanley Cup Playoffs:
* Nashville vs. St. Louis
* Anaheim vs. Edmonton
* New York Rangers vs. Ottawa
* Washington vs. Pittsburgh

Any of you want to pick winners of these series?

Good luck to the eight remaining teams.

TV sucks without hockey, huh? Well, guess what? Hockey is back! Then too, some say the NHL can do a much better job of scheduling, but that's another story for another time. The remaining eight teams in this season's playoffs continue their push towards the Stanley Cup starting tonight. Four teams will move closer towards hoisting Lord Stanley's Cup. The other four... will have to settle for next season for another chance at becoming champions.

Remaining matches:
* Nashville vs. St. Louis
* Anaheim vs. Edmonton
* New York Rangers vs. Ottawa
* Washington vs. Pittsburgh

Good luck to all eight remaining teams.

Well after that lousy playoff performance (guess you can't play against the refs, cheapshots and the other team at the same time) I made a small little write up on FB and decided to bring it over here:
Sorry, but I got REALLY into writing this, so it's super long, and it goes into a bunch of things that weren't even brought up. Sorry for the rambling lol ^-^
First off, there's no way they're losing Spurge. If Fletcher doesn't protect the best d man on the team there will be a lot of pissed off fans, announcers, media, team-mates, coaches etc. You don't just through a top pairing right handed d man to another team without getting a king's ransom for them.
There have been rumours floating around that the team might be able to get PominP to waive the NTC, so he can be unprotected and allow another young foreword to get protected in the expansion draft. That could work if the team framed it as "we know we can make it to the WCF next season, but we need this other player here to do it. There's no chance or risk involved for you, so will you please do this to make he team as a whole better?"
Guessing Ryan White is gone (thank goodness) and I can't remember Chris Stewart's contract, but it may be up as well. Realistically it'll be tough to get everyone back, however, I think that giving Nino another bridge deal, and Granlund his big boy contract should work. Haula seems like he could be on the way out, as he wants to play more than a 4th line centre role, which could potentially allow us to resign Hanzel for another season. If that happened, that would be a filthy centre core (Koivu, Staal, Hanzal) as they're all big, strong players, all incredibly good at face offs, and tough to knock off the puck. As far as the 4th line, going to guess it's something along the lines of (depending on contacts) Schroeder-Ek/Graovac/Haula-Stewart/Tuch/Haula. Schroeder-Stewart looked good together earlier in the season, however, they aren't great puck possession players, so if those 2 were together, move Hanzal down to help that line defensively, and add some possession, and put Ek on the 3rd line.
Sorry for rambling, but I guess what I'm getting at, is hell will freeze over before we lose Spurgeon voluntarily, it might be possible to protect Coyle/Zucks, Pomminville might let himself be unprotected, and we actually have a decent amount of lineup flexibility which is great news as long as Ryan White is off this team.
Remember last season when our 4th line was greats like Chris Porter and Jarrett Stoll? Yeah, Ryan White is statistically about as bad as them, and usig the eye test he's behind every single play, trying to catch up but not able to.

There's supposed to be some draft in some other sport that's on this weekend. Good luck to whomever gets drafted there, but otherwise... more hockey please! Moar hockey MOAR!

Can you believe Nashville is 5-0 so far in the Playoffs? The Predators defeated St. Louis last night 4-3 in a game televised on NBCSN. Though the Predators won, they also suffered a big loss when Kevin Fiala suffered an absolutely brutal injury early during the 2nd Period. He had to be carried out on a stretcher, and the game was delayed for a few minutes to get the ambulance there. I want to extend my best wishes to Fiala after fracturing his left femur.

Meanwhile, and in mere moments, we got the defending champion Pittsburgh Penguins ready to take on the Washington Capitals in Washington, D.C. On right now is the New York Rangers at the Ottawa Senators in the other Eastern side of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Enjoy the games, GTPlanteers!

I know I've been quiet with all the NHL stuff, but I've just been trying to see as much hockey as I can. We're closing in on series possibly heading into the Stanley Cup semifinals stage. I saw the St. Louis Blues vs. Nashville game from last night. So keep enjoying the action!

As much as I hate that the Wings missed the playoffs, the fact that I don't have to watch and deal with the heartbreak of losing in the playoffs because all the other teams are stessing over that is a plus.

Ottawa won 5-4 in Overtime against the New York Rangers. OTT now is 3-2 in their series. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh could knock out Washington ahead in their series 3-1. It's scoreless as of the time of this post between PIT at WAS.

St. Louis = CONTENDER ELIMINATED!

By virtue of Nashville winning 3-2 today and leading 3-2 in the series, Nashville heads to their first-ever Western Conference Final in franchise history. They'll meet the winner of the Anaheim vs. Edmonton series in the WCF of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Meanwhile, congratulations to the St. Louis Blues on their season.

By the way, Anaheim leads their series 3-2.

[UPDATE] ANA leads their series with EDM 3-2, not 3-1.

Last edited:
St. Louis = CONTENDER ELIMINATED!

By virtue of Nashville winning 3-1 today and leading 3-2 in the series, Nashville heads to their first-ever Western Conference Final in franchise history. They'll meet the winner of the Anaheim vs. Edmonton series in the WCF of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Meanwhile, congratulations to the St. Louis Blues on their season.

By the way, Anaheim leads their series 3-1.
3-2 brah.

*edit
3-0 Oilers... I'm not falling for this again lol.

My poor heart...

Last edited:
As a Predators fan, It's an honor to see us in the conference finals for the first time, we Tennesseans don't get such an opportunity to see our pro sports teams make it far in playoffs(If they even make it to the playoffs). Many congrats to the Blues for trying their best at the game as well.

As a Predators fan, It's an honor to see us in the conference finals for the first time, we Tennesseans don't get such an opportunity to see our pro sports teams make it far in playoffs. Many congrats to the Blues for trying their best at the game as well.
I thought it was a class act on Nashvilles part, to donate to the Flood Relief for St Louis with all the flooding around here. Pretty good games, and good luck to Nashville going forward.

I didn't think the blues would even make the playoffs the way they were going Mid-Season. The best thing that has come out of this for the Blues, is that it's safe to say we finally have a designated #1 goalie in Jake Allen.

Later tonight, this COULD be the end for the Washington Capitals as Game 6 is tonight in Pittsburgh. Capitals at Penguins. Game 6. PIT with a 3-2 series lead. WAS must win to force a Game 7 against the defending champs.

Enjoy the action! Also, my apologies for screwing so many different stats. I am human after all.

The Washington Capitals smacked the Pittsburgh Penguins last night. So that series is going to go the seven-game distance.

If the Ottawa Senators win tonight at the New York Rangers, the Rangers will be eliminated from the Stanley Cup Finals. Ottawa leads this series 3-2. The New York Rangers need to win this one to force a Game 7. It's the only game on tonight.

Enjoy the action!

Life is so unfair. Tonight, two teams will see their NHL seasons come to an end with two Game 7's. We got Pittsburgh at Washington and Edmonton at Anaheim tonight. Two teams will stay alive in playing for Lord Stanley's Cup; the other two will be done. So those two teams that will be done will include the likes of the St. Louis Blues and the New York Rangers among others.

In an unrelated story, I read the Dallas Stars picked up Goalie Ben Bishop from the Los Angeles Kings yesterday.

Enjoy some Hump Day hockey, folks!

After the whooping Edmonton put on Anaheim in Game 6, your concern is legitimate. I feel Anaheim will be energized at home. If that holds true, then the Oilers could very well be in trouble playing in the Ducks' house. We'll see what happens in Anaheim.

Joey-Tribianni-Shrug-Friends.gif

Well, at least there's always next year (hopefully).

We have to say goodbye to two more teams after they failed in their respective Game 7s. Those teams? The Washington Capitals and the Edmonton Oilers. We are now in the Final Four (so to speak) of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. While there are no games on tonight, when the Playoffs resume, these are your Stanley Cup semifinal matches:

* NSH Predators vs. ANA Ducks
* OTT Senators vs. PIT Penguins

Four will compete; only two will play for the Stanley Cup. Which two will do Lord Stanley proud? We shall see with this next set of playoff matches.

Speaking of the Capitals getting 86ed from the playoffs, one sportscaster kind of took things a unique way. How so? Check this out: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/05/washington-capitals-pittsburgh-penguins-loss-sad-sports-caster

No game tonight, but tomorrow night will be Game 1 of NSH vs. ANA, to be played in Anaheim. Nashville has progressed the furthest in the postseason in team history. It was San José last season who made their first-ever Stanley Cup Final. Could Nashville be heading to their first ever Stanley Cup Final? Ottawa serves as Canada's last hope for a Stanley Cup champion this season. Pittsburgh is the defending champions. Good luck to the remaining playoff teams.

I am late, but the Stanley Cup semifinals start tonight. Nashville at Anaheim going on as of this post, NSH up 2-1 with 15:00 left in the 2nd Period.

Good luck to the remaining four teams in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Preds/Ducks game 2 is really a good one. 3-3 with 3 minutes to go in the second period.

Quick edit: As soon as I post this, the Ducks score a second after. :lol: Now 4-3 Ducks.

I'm cheering for Ottawa, but could Pittsburgh at least make this game interesting? :lol:

Hopefully Nashville and Ottawa advance so we can see a guaranteed first time champion.

Oh, Ottawa did REAL good tonight. It was 5-1 the final score in Canada's capital city. That four-spot OTT put on PIT in the 1st Period was the start of the Sens beating the Pens like a drum. So the Senators are ahead 2-1 in the series against the defending champion Pittsburgh Penguins. Ottawa right now is Canada's last hope for a Canadian Stanley Cup champ.

Latest Posts

Back