NHL: 2017-2018 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 137 comments
There are a couple of interesting games tonight. First, we got the Toronto Maple Leafs at the Montreal Canadiens. Canada's two Original Six playing against each other. There is also the game between Columbus at Minnesota. What is so special about the Blue Jackets at the Wild? Well remember New Year's Eve last year? Both had double-digit win streaks going. Unfortunately for our PinkKitty13 and Northstar, the Wild lost that game in St. Paul. So these two teams meet again. COL is currently 3rd in the Metropolitan Division, and MIN is 6th in the Central Division. Detroit currently leads the Atlantic Division.

14 games on tonight! Tough not to find a game you want to see if you're an NHL fan!
Umm, That's Colorado. You would want the CBJ here.

Hello, hockey fans! We got 11 games on tonight. Maybe you're looking for a few games to watch. Well, Yahoo! Sports will be showing the Florida Panthers at the Philadelphia Flyers. NBCSN will be showing two games- Tampa Bay Lightning at the New Jersey Devils followed by the Montreal Canadiens at the San José Sharks.

Go enjoy some hockey tonight.

It's Wednesday. Have you any specific plans? I can help! Though you might be wondering what kind of plans to make if you're in a hockey thread of all things. Because Wednesdays don't have to stink, here is how your Wednesday night of hockey looks this week:

* DET Red Wings at TOR Maple Leafs
* CHI Blackhawks at STL Blues (NBCSN Wednesday Night Rivalry)
* MON Canadiens at LA Kings

Four of the NHL's Original Six are in in action including two Original Six members clashing tonight in Toronto. Good old Midwestern hockey for Wednesday Night Rivalry in St. Louis. In fact, both of the Canadian Original Six teams are in action.

These games should keep you busy. So go enjoy some hockey tonight. By the way, can you believe the Vegas Golden Knights are 6-0-1 right now?

Hockey, anyone? The final Wednesday of October 2017 has this itinerary for your Wednesday night:

* CGY Flames at STL Blues (my two favorite uniforms in the NHL)
* BUF Sabres at CBJ Blue Jackets (NBCSN Wednesday Night Rivalry)

Go enjoy some hockey tonight.

Welcome to November 2017! Want a good way to welcome this new month of NHL Hockey? How about... Wednesday Night Rivalry? Not everybody is into baseball or basketball right now. So let's talk hockey!

Before we do, though, here is a Standings update. Where are your favorite teams right now? Find out:

(W-L-OL; pts.) = wins, losses, overtime losses, points

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE ---
ATLANTIC DIVISION:
* Tampa Bay (10-2-1; 21 pts.), OTT (5-2-5; 15 pts.), TOR (7-5-0; 14 pts.), DET (6-6-1; 13 pts.), BOS (4-3-3; 11 pts.), FLA (4-6-1; 9 pts.), MON (4-7-1; 9 pts.), BUF (3-7-2; 8 pts.)

METROPOLITAN DIVISION:
* New Jersey (8-2-0; 16 pts.), CBJ (8-4-0; 16 pts.), NYI (7-4-1; 15 pts.), PIT (7-5-1; 15 pts.), WAS (5-6-1; 11 pts.), CAR (4-4-2; 10 pts.), NYR (4-7-2; 10 pts.)

CURRENT EAST WILD CARD: Pittsburgh and Philadelphia

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE ---
CENTRAL DIVISION:
* St. Louis (10-2-1; 21 pts.), WPG (6-3-2; 14 pts.), DAL (7-5-0; 14 pts.), COL (6-5-0; 12 pts.), NSH (5-4-2; 12 pts.), CHI (5-5-2; 12 pts.), MIN (4-4-2; 10 pts.)

PACIFIC DIVISION:
* Los Angeles (9-2-1; 19 pts.), VGK (8-3-0; 16 pts.), VAN (6-3-2; 14 pts.), ANA (6-4-1; 13 pts.), SJ (6-5-0; 12 pts.), CGY (6-6-0; 12 pts.), EDM (3-6-1; 7 pts.), ARI (1-11-1; 3 pts.)

CURRENT WEST WILD CARD: Anaheim and San José

Wow... I never thought I'd see the New York Rangers and the Minnesota Wild struggle this hard so far this season. And only ONE win for Arizona? One? Really? There is still a long way to go. So don't go handing out Lord Stanley's Cup to anybody just yet. Every team has played between 10-13 games out of an 82-game season. There is still a lot of time to make ground up. You certainly don't want an already bad season to get worse. You want to make sure your already good season remains that way or gets better.

Now on to tonight. We got five games on tonight. Your Wednesday night doesn't have to be boring! Here is what the NHL gives you on this Wednesday night:

* PHI Flyers at CHI Blackhawks (NBCSN Wednesday Night Rivalry)
* PIT Penguins at EDM Oilers
* NJ Devils at VAN Canucks
* TOR Maple Leafs at ANA Ducks
* NSH Predators at SJ Sharks

Thank you for reading! Enjoy some hockey! Good luck to all of your favorite teams, as always.

Hawk-eeh. Love you some hockey? Good! It's time again to believe in the shield- the NHL shield. And if you believe in the [NHL] shield, here are some games to make your Wednesday night a little less boring...

* MIN Wild at TOR Maple Leafs
* BOS Bruins at NYR Rangers
* TB Lightning at SJ Sharks

So how about it? We got an Original Six match between two LONG time rivals. Nothing like a NYC-Boston rivalry. There is also the Minnesota Wild going to entertain the Toronto Maple Leafs on the road. The Tampa Bay Lightning are hoping to strike on the San José Sharks.

On Monday, the Dallas Stars hosted the Winnipeg Jets. It was an interesting occasion as it was the NHL observing cancer awareness. You may remember longtime Dallas Stars broadcaster Dave Strader died from cancer. Dallas unfortunately lost 4-1 to the Winnipeg Jets.

Have yourself a good day/night and enjoy tonight's games!

A couple of notes to share...

* I read that ageless wonder Jaromir Jagr scored his first goal with the Calgary Flames recently. Unfortunately, the Flames took down the Detroit Red Wings in that game. So I know a couple of GTPlaneteers are sad to see their team lose to Calgary.

* One of the Vegas Golden Knights signed a deal to play in the SKA. Vadim Shipachyov was the fellow who got that deal going.

* 12 games are on today, and Yahoo! Sports is showing the Edmonton Oilers at the New York Rangers. I think one game today is to be played in Stockholm, Sweden.

That's it. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Did any of you get to see the Pittsburgh at Boston game in the NHL's Thanksgiving Showdown? It was a 4-3(?) victory for the Bruins at home. It was a pretty cool game.

Congratulations to all other winners from this Black Friday.

I had to have some surgery and hospital work done for about 12-13 days, so I am sorry to have been away for an extended period of time. I'll make it up to you NHL fans by covering a lot of the action from Black Friday besides Pittsburgh at Boston. These were some of the other results from the 14 or so games from yesterday...

* I was watching last night when the Dallas Stars hosted the Calgary Flames (one of my favorite uniforms besides St. Louis). Dallas couldn't seem to shake off Calgary until late in the 3rd Period. So the Stars did good to the tune of a 6-4 victory. Dallas retired the No. 26 jersey of Jere Lehtinen this past Friday night.

* Speaking of St. Louis (my favorite uniforms), the Blues hosted the Nashville Predators. "Smashville" took down St. Louis 2-0 on the road.

* Pittsburgh lost; how did the other Keystone State NHL team do? They also lost. The New York Islanders grounded the Philadelphia Flyers 5-4 in Philly.

* A Shootout was needed to settle matters between Colorado and Minnesota. The Minnesota Wild won 3-2 over the visiting Colorado Avalanche.

* The Washington Capitals did good at home 3-1 taking down the Tampa Bay Lightning.

* Regulation solved nothing in Las Vegas, so an extra five minutes was needed for the Golden Knights to down the San José Sharks 5-4.

* The Buffalo Sabres won 3-1 hosting the Edmonton Oilers.

* 3-2 was the final in Trenton, New Jersey as the New Jersey Devils beat the Vancouver Canucks. Quite a long plane ride to get beat.

* Only one game yesterday was an NHL Original Six amtch- the Detroit Red Wings at the New York Rangers. Who won this Original Six match at Madison Square Garden? The Rangers. It was a 2-1 final that required Overtime to settle.

* Winning 5-2 in Columbus, Ohio was the Columbus Blue Jackets over the Ottawa Senators.

* The Toronto Maple Leafs recorded a 5-4 win as they defeated the Carolina Hurricanes on the road.

* In Overtime, the Arizona Coyotes dethroned the Los Angeles Kings 3-2.

Today, meanwhile, we got 11 games tonight. Yahoo! Sports will show the Anaheim Ducks at the Los Angeles Kings. Yeah- SoCal hockey pride on the line. So go enjoy some NHL hockey today/tonight! Set me straight if I provided some misinformation.

Do your best "He Scoooooooooores!" impression- we got hockey! We also have ten games slated for tonight. Looking for a game? Yahoo! Sports will show the San José Sharks at the Philadelphia Flyers. I think NBCSN will show the Chicago Blackhawks at the Nashville Predators. So go enjoy some hockey tonight.

This is the final Wednesday of November 2017. If you want Hump Day NHL Hockey, this is what tonight's lineup features:

* TB Lightning at BOS Bruins (NBCSN Wednesday Night Rivalry)
* OTT Senators at MON Canadiens
* ANA Ducks at STL Blues
* WPG Jets at COL Avalanche

So go enjoy some hockey tonight, fans. 👍

A couple of musings to share...

* Remember last season when the Minnesota Wild and St. Louis Blues had 10+ game winning streaks heading into New Year's Eve? Well, the Wild took down the Blues 2-1 in Overtime tonight.

* There was an Original Six match tonight as the Detroit Red Wings paid a visit to the Montreal Canadiens. What did Detroit get for their troubles? A 10-1 whacking by the Habs. Ouch. What happened, Red Wings fans?

And as of this post, the Chicago Blackhawks at Dallas Stars game is going into Overtime, tied 2-2. Congratulations to all winners from Saturday's games.

Four games are ready to go for tonight. But heading into each match, here is a Standings Update. Find out how your favorite team(s) are doing so far...

ATLANTIC: Tampa Bay (18-6-2; 38 pts.), TOR (17-10-1; 35 pts.), MON (13-12-3; 29 pts.), BOS (12-8-4; 28 pts.), DET (10-12-5; 25 pts.), OTT (9-10-6; 24 pts.), FLA (10-13-3; 23 pts.), BUF (6-17-4; 16 pts.)

METROPOLITAN: Columbus (17-9-1; 35 pts.), NJ (15-7-4; 34 pts.), PIT (15-10-3; 33 pts.), NYI (15-8-2; 32 pts.), WAS (15-11-1; 31 pts.), NYR (14-10-2; 30 pts.), CAR (11-9-5; 27 pts.), PHI (8-11-7l 23 pts.)

CURRENT EASTERN PLAYOFF (* = Wild Card): TB, TOR, MON, COL, NJ. PIT, NYI*, PIT*

CENTRAL: Winnipeg (17-6-4; 38 pts.), STL (17-8-2; 36 pts.), NSH (16-7-3; 35 pts.), DAL (16-10-1; 33 pts.), MIN (13-10-3; 29 pts.), CHI (12-10-5; 29 pts.), COL (12-11-2; 26 pts.)

PACIFIC: Los Angeles (17-8-3; 37 pts.), VGK (16-9-1; 33 pts.), SJ (14-9-2; 30 pts.) VAN 13-10-4; 30 pts.), CGY (14-11-1; 29 pts.), ANA 11-11-5; 27 pts.), EDM (11-14-2; 24 pts.), ARI (7-18-5; 19 pts.)

CURRENT WESTERN PLAYOFF (* = Wild Card): WPG, STL, NSH, LA, VGK, SJ, DAL*, VAN*

Having said that, enjoy some hockey tonight. I hope I didn't screw up any of the standings. Correct me if I am wrong. Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

May I interest you in some hockey, GTPlanet? Good! How about some Wednesday Night Rivalry? If you answered yes to both questions, this is what awaits you tonight:

* CGY Flames at TOR Maple Leafs
* CHI Blackhawks at WAS Capitals (NBCSN Wednesday Night Rivalry)
* PHI Flyers at EDM Oilers
* OTT Senators at ANA Ducks

I hope you get to enjoy this slate of games tonight.

It's time for another Wednesday night of NHL hockey. Wednesday Night Rivalry- where it's okay to be a hater. Who will come out on top once the puck drops on these games tonight:

* DAL Stars at NYI Islanders
* NYR Rangers at OTT Senators
* BOS Bruins at DET Red Wings (NBCSN Wednesday Night Rivalry)
* NSH Predators at VAN Canucks

That's right- three of the NHL's Original Six will clash tonight, especially the Boston Bruins paying a visit to the Detroit Red Wings. Nothing like an Original Six match to be featured among the slate of games for any given night.

You all go enjoy some hockey tonight. You deserve to!

JUST WRAPPED UP...

With 4:25 left in Overtime, the Boston Bruins sunk the Detroit Red Wings 3-2. So not a happy night in Hockeytown at Little Caesars Arena for this Original Six match. Brad Marchand cashed in the winning goal for the Bruins. Detroit did draw first blood in the 2nd Period.

Meanwhile, congratulations to all other winners from tonight's games.

[UPDATE] "Hockeytown," not "Hockeyville."

Last edited:
Is it me, or has Juuse Saros really picked up the pace? 46(?) save shutout against Edmonton. Nashville has really picked up pace since picking up Kyle Turris.

The story I wanted to follow this season has been how the Vegas Golden Knights would fare in their inaugural season. So how have VGK done? Well... they're doing just fine, thank you very much. The Golden Knights downed the Pittsburgh Penguins last night in Las Vegas. In addition, the Golden Knights became the fastest team to 20 wins in NHL history. Vegas' record is currently 20-9-2 with 42 points, good for 2nd in the Pacific behind Los Angeles (20-9-3, 43 pts.).

More information on Vegas' historic night: https://sports.yahoo.com/merrills-1st-goal-season-lifts-fleury-knights-past-054854060--nhl.html

Tonight has only five games. Of tonight's five games, we got an Original Six rivalry match as the Toronto Maple Leafs visit Hockeytown to take on the Detroit Red Wings. The aforementioned Los Angeles Kings will meet the New York Rangers.

You all enjoy some hockey both tonight and this weekend.

Heads up!

The NHL Centennial Classic is on right now if you have NBCSN. It's an outdoor game in Canada's capital city of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. It's the Ottawa Senators against the Montreal Canadiens. As of the typing of this post, it is scoreless with 12:27 left in the First Period. Temperatures for this game? According to what I read on Twitter, try -16°F!

Last edited:
Did you know that today marks the 100th anniversary of the NHL's first games? The Carolina Hurricanes played at the Toronto Maple Leafs. Toronto won convincingly- 8-1. The kicker, though, is that the Maple Leafs wore outfits when they were the Toronto Arenas. Today (December 19) in 1917 was Toronto playing their first game as the Toronto Arenas. If this keeps up, Toronto may have to keep wearing their Arenas uniforms to better their chances of winning the Stanley Cup this season.

Not to be outdone, congratulations to all other winners from today and tonight, including a 3-0 blanking Boston put on the Buffalos Sabres in Buffalo.

It is the penultimate Wednesday night of 2017. Are you ready for some hockey? Welcome to another good old Wednesday Night Rivalry! If you're expecting a boring Wednesday night, maybe tonight's three games will cheer you up:

* TOR Maple Leafs at CBJ Blue Jackets
* DET Red Wings at PHI Flyers (NBCSN Wednesday Night Rivalry)
* STL Blues at CGY Flames

So tonight's Wednesday Night Rivalry game is in the City of Brotherly Love, but with no love lost between the Flyers and Original Six team Detroit. Two of my personal favorite uniforms clash tonight as St. Louis meets Calgary. And what will Toronto do for an encore after beating Carolina's brains out yesterday when the Maple Leafs meet the Blue Jackets?

Folks- enjoy some hockey tonight.

NHL hockey won't take to the ice again until this coming Wednesday. Sad, huh? So maybe this is a chance to assess your favorite teams so far.

If the Stanley Cup Playoffs began after this Christmas break, these would be your Playoff teams:

* = current wild card

Tampa Bay
Toronto
Boston
New Jersey
Washington
Columbus
New York Rangers*
New York Islanders*

St. Louis
Nashville
Winnipeg
Vegas
Los Angeles
San José
Dallas*
Anaheim*

There is still a long way to go, so don't think these will be the teams to play for the Stanley Cup when Playoffs time comes.

Another story of note is that the New York Islanders have some things finalized to play in a new arena near Belmont Park. After I did a mini check with Google Maps, this would return the New York Islanders back to Long Island. I previously didn't have much of an idea on the geography of New York City to know if Belmont Park was on Long Island. But yes- Belmont Park is east of the Queens borough of New York City. So I'm sure it will be great for Islanders fans to see Islanders hockey back on Long Island. The proposed new arena, by the way, will cost about $1B USD.

How are your favorite teams doing? Let's chat a little about the 2017-2018 NHL season so far, if you choose to do so.

A lot of games are slated to start at the top of the hour as of the time of this post. So you NHL hockey fans get ready for some more hockey as the NHL is off of their Christmas break. The 22 teams playing in tonight's 11 games will be all dressed and ready to go, as Kevin Harlan would say. Enjoy the ride!

Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

Happy new year, hockey fans! As we enter the 2018 part of the 2017-2018 season, let's update the standings. So here goes...

ATLANTIC: Tampa Bay (28-8-2, 58 pts.), BOS (21-10-6), 48 pts.), TOR (23-15-2, 48 pts), FLA (17-16-5, 39 pts.), DET (15-16-7, 37 pts.), MON (16-19-4, 36 pts.), OTT (12-17-8, 32 pts.), BUF (10-20-8, 28 pts.)

METROPOLITAN: Washington (24-13-3, 51 pts.), NJ (22-10-6, 50 pts.), CBJ (22-15-3, 47 pts.), NYR (20-13-5, 45 pts.), NYI (20-15-4, 44 pts.), CAR (18-13-7, 43 pts.) PIT (19-18-3, 41 pts.), PHI (16-14-8, 40 pts.)

CURRENT EAST PLAYOFFS (* = current Wild Card): TB, BOS, TOR, WAS, NJ, CBJ, NYR*, NYI*

CENTRAL: Winnipeg (23-11-6, 52 pts.), NSH (23-10-5, 51 pts.), STL (24-15-2, 50 pts.), DAL (22-15-3, 47 pts.), MIN (20-16-3, 43 pts.), CHI (18-14-6, 42 pts.), COL (19-16-3, 41 pts.)

PACIFIC: Vegas (26-9-2, 54 pts.), LA (23-11-5, 51 pts.), SJ (20-12-4, 44 pts.), ANA (18-14-8, 44 pts.), CGY (19-16-4, 42 pts.), EDM (17-19-3, 37 pts.), VAN (16-18-5, 37 pts.), ARI (9-27-5, 23 pts.)

CURRENT WEST PLAYOFFS (* = current Wild Card): WPG, NSH, STL, VGK, LA, SJ, DAL*, ANA*

My comments... wow. Can you believe if Vegas made the playoffs? When I searched online (don't take this stat for gospel), no expansion team in NHL history has ever made the playoffs in their inaugural season. The Vegas Golden Knights could change all of that if they get in this season. Even more scary is if this "expansion" team ends up playing in and winning the Stanley Cup this season.

Other musings...

* Tampa Bay ballin'. They got more wins than anybody in the NHL right now. Just have to wonder if they can keep up this pace.

* Good times in Tampa Bay; Hockeytown... not so much. The team that now makes their home at the ultra-sophisticated Little Caesars Arena is still far from their form of making the playoffs. I would imagine maybe the Detroit Red Wings would want to be interested in trade offers to help bolster their lineup for the forseeable future.

* Washington is doing pretty well also. I still wonder when this team will finally get to be Stanley Cup champions. The Washington Capitals have been Conference champions only once in their history. The team's history dates back to 1974, and their last Conference Championship was in the 1997-1998 season.

* I kind of wasn't expecting Winnipeg to lead the Central Division. I always thought St. Louis would be atop those ranks. Nice to see Smashville... uh, Nashville among the top portion of the Central Division. I was a bit surprised the Wild Card wasn't Dallas and Minnesota. But right now, it's a Dallas and Anaheim Wild Card right now.

* I knew the Buffalo Sabres had it rough, but I was stunned seeing Arizona have a worse season than Buffalo. Even the Colorado Avalanche is doing better than the Arizona Coyotes.

* It's sad the two-time defending champions, the Pittsburgh Penguins, be next-to-last in the Atlantic Division. They may miss out on the playoffs this season if they don't pick things up. In fact, both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are bottom-feeders in the Atlantic Division. Hockey in the Keystone State not so good this season so far...

Long way to go, but lots of hockey to be played. So keep playing hard! Good luck to all of your favorite teams moving forward.

Back