NHL: 2018-2019 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 189 comments
We got 11 games tonight in the National Hockey League. NBCSN will show the Nashville Predators at the Chicago Blackhawks. Here are a few other games of the 11 to play tonight:

* SJ Sharks at MIN Wild
* DET Red Wings at PHI Flyers <<< PHI recently fired their head coach
* ANA Ducks at NYR Rangers
* CGY Flames at DAL Stars
* TB Lightning at VAN Canucks

Next Tuesday is Christmas, but these games are great stocking stuffers one week away from Christmas. So enjoy some NHL hockey tonight.

Wednesdays don't have to be boring, you know? Just sayin'. Here are the matches for tonight:

* PIT Penguins at WAS Capitals (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)
* MON Canadiens at COL Avalanche

Only two games on tonight, but surely better than nothing. So go enjoy some hockey tonight.

Whole slate of games on for tonight, but I’ll let @JohnBM01 tell you all about that:cheers:

Didn’t get to watch the Pens-Caps game last night, but I’m curious about what the GTP hockey fans think of Ovi’s chances to break the goal record since that seems to be the hot topic lately.

For context, Gretzky’s record sits at 894 career goals. Ovechkin at age 33 has 636 and 29 goals through 33 thus far into the season. I believe at one point in the last couple days he was on pace for 74 goals this year:eek:

If The Great 8 plays until he is 40 he would have to average roughly 37 goals per season to catch Gretzky. Seeming as he should breeze by that number this year, do you think he can sustain this into his late 30s to catch The Great One?

I usually don't talk about games other than on a Tuesday or Wednesday, but since you mentioned it... ;)

Two games yesterday... 12 tonight! Among them:

* DET Red Wings at CAR Hurricanes
* NSH Predators at PHI Flyers
* MIN Wild at PIT Penguins
* FLA Panthers at TOR Maple Leafs
* CHI Blackhawks at DAL Stars
* TB Lightning at CGY Flames
* STL Blues at VAN Canucks
* NYI Islanders at VGK Golden Knights

These are only some of the 12 games slated for tonight. So go enjoy some NHL hockey on this Thursday night!

Whole slate of games on for tonight, but I’ll let @JohnBM01 tell you all about that:cheers:

Didn’t get to watch the Pens-Caps game last night, but I’m curious about what the GTP hockey fans think of Ovi’s chances to break the goal record since that seems to be the hot topic lately.

For context, Gretzky’s record sits at 894 career goals. Ovechkin at age 33 has 636 and 29 goals through 33 thus far into the season. I believe at one point in the last couple days he was on pace for 74 goals this year:eek:

If The Great 8 plays until he is 40 he would have to average roughly 37 goals per season to catch Gretzky. Seeming as he should breeze by that number this year, do you think he can sustain this into his late 30s to catch The Great One?
It might sound strange for me to say this, but I think it’s still too early to tell. He’s scoring at a great rate right now, but we just don’t know how well he’ll be scoring in his mid and late 30’s. I do think he has a shot, he doesn’t look like slowing down right now.

HEADS UP!

We got some California NHL action as the Los Angeles Kings are playing at the San José Sharks. It's on NBCSN right now. LA is currently up 1-0 with about 8:40 left in the 2nd Period.

Games that wrapped up as of the time of this post:

* The Nashville Predators of "Smashville" got smashed themselves at Boston with a 5-2 victory for the Boston Bruins.

* The Philadelphia Flyers got grounded 4-3 at home against the Columbus Blue Jackets.

* Not a happy Saturday in Hockeytown as the Florida Panthers beat the Detroit Red Wings 2-1 in MoTown.

Congratulations to all other winners up to and beyond the time of this post.

Wow, the Atlantic division is so competitive right now. My Bruins have been having a decent season despite some injuries, but we can’t break into that top 3. Tampa has 1st place locked up, the Leafs have been excellent, and surprisingly, so have the Sabres and Canadiens. Going to be a serious battle for sure...

When the 2018-2019 season All-Star Game comes up, these players will captain the different divisions:

ATLANTIC: Auston Matthews (TOR)
METROPOLITAN: Alex Ovechkin (WAS)
CENTRAL: Nathan MacKinnon (COL)
PACIFIC: Connor McDavid (EDM)

The NHL All-Star festivities will be held in San José on January 25-26.

Meanwhile today, enjoy the 13 game schedule for tonight!

Bruins/Sabres tonight...surprised that it's not on NBCSN.

Also kinda surprising that they scheduled a home Sabres game today and a home Bills game tomorrow. Typically they try to avoid stuff like that.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

It's time to drop the puck on the 2019 portion of the 2018-2019 season. But first, let's take a little standings update to see how all of the NHL's teams are doing so far...

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE ---
ATLANTIC: Tampa Bay (31-7-2; 64 pts.), TOR (26-11-2; 54 pts.), BUF (21-13-6; 48 pts.), MON (21-14-5; 47 pts.) BOS (21-14-4; 46 pts.), FLA (17-15-6; 40 pts.), DET (15-19-7; 37 pts.), OTT (15-21-4; 34 pts.)

METROPOLITAN: Washington (24-11-3; 51 pts.), CBJ (23-13-3; 49 pts.), PIT (21-12-6; 48 pts), NYI (21-13-4; 46 pts.) NYR (17-14-7; 41 pts.), NJ (15-16-7; 37 pts.), CAR (16-17-5; 37 pts.), PHI (15-18-5; 35 pts.)

CURRENT EAST PLAYOFFS: TB, TOR, BUF, WAS, CBJ, PIT, MON (WC), NYI (WC)

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE ---
CENTRAL: Winnipeg (25-12-2; 52 pts.), NSH (23-15-2; 48 pts), COL (19-13-8; 46 pts.), DAL (20-16-4; 44 pts.), MIN (18-17-3; 39 pts.), CHI (15-20-6; 36 pts.), STL (15-18-4; 34 pts.)

PACIFIC: Calgary (24-12-4; 52 pts.), VGK (23-15-4; 50 pts.), SJ (21-13-7; 49 pts.), ANA (19-15-7; 45 pts), VAN (19-19-4; 42 pts.), EDM (18-18-3; 39 pts.), ARI (17-20-2; 36 pts.), LA (16-21-3; 35 pts.)

CURRENT WEST PLAYOFFS: WPG, NSH, COL, CGY, VGK, SJ, ANA (WC), DAL (WC)

Now on to today's card. Here is how 2019 will start in the NHL:

* BOS Bruins vs. CHI Blackhawks (NHL Winter Classic - South Bend, IN)
* PHI Flyers at NSH Predators
* LA Kings at VGK Golden Knights

So Notre Dame football fans may not like seeing their team get smashed by Clemson in the College Football Playoff. Well, in return, the University of Notre Dame (which does have a good hockey team) will get to host an NHL match with two of the NHL's Original Six. We got Boston and Chicago going at it.

Enjoy today's action, and good luck to all of your favorite teams!

It's the first Wednesday Night of 2019. What does it look like schedule-wise? Let's find out:

* CGY Flames at DET Red Wings
* PIT Penguins at NYR Rangers (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)
* VAN Canucks at OTT Senators
* NJ Devils at DAL Stars
* SJ Sharks at COL Avalanche (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)
* EDM Oilers at ARI Coyotes

Wow- six games! Feel free to enjoy some NHL hockey tonight should you be watching.

If you're looking for a game on TV tonight among tonight's 11 matches, NBCSN has you covered with the Philadelphia Flyers at the Washington Capitals. Speaking of the Caps, you may have seen long ago that Alex Ovechkin was selected to the All-Star Game, but he decided to skip it. Enjoy whatever hockey you want to check out tonight.

Sabres in a slide. Eichel got hurt. Struggling to score. A number of weeks ago they were 1st in the conference, now they're 8th in the conference. I figured they'd come back down to Earth after winning 10 in a row, but not all the way to 8th.

Devils @ Sabres tonight.

Let me round up results of games that were completed as of the time of this post, and I will start with samurai8juice's Buffalo Sabres.

* If the Buffalo Sabres were on a slide, that slide came to a screeching halt as they exorcised the New Jersey Devils 5-1 in Buffalo.

* It was also 5-1 in Pittsburgh as the Penguins destroyed the Florida Panthers in Pittsburgh.

* Florida lost, so how did the other Florida team do? You know- the Tampa Bay Lightning? Well... they did good at home with a 4-0 victory over the Columbus Blue Jackets.

* The Minnesota Wild went into Boston looking to take down the Bruins. Didn't happen. 4-0 victory for the Boston Bruins.

* The New York Islanders welcomed the Carolina Hurricanes, and the Hurricanes won 4-3.

Congratulations to all other winners from tonight's games at and beyond the time of this post.

Hump Day Hockey. Another Wednesday is upon us. So let's see what kind of action is coming up this Wednesday night:

* NSH Predators at CHI Blackhawks (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)
* COL Avalanche at CGY Flames
* OTT Senators at ANA Ducks

I hope you get to enjoy these games tonight, should you follow any of them.

Today happens to be my birthday. And so if the NHL had a birthday gift for me, it would come in the form of any of tonight's 10-game schedule. A game that will get national attention on TV tonight is the game between the Los Angeles Kings at the Minnesota Wild to be shown on NBCSN. Couple of other games tonight... Vegas Golden Knights at Winnipeg Jets, Tampa Bay Lightning at the Dallas Stars, Anaheim Ducks at the Detroit Red Wings, and the Washington Capitals at the Nashville Predators.

So go enjoy some hockey this Tuesday night.

Let's see what the NHL has cooking for this Wednesday night...

* COL Avalanche at OTT Senators
* BOS Bruins at PHI Flyers (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)
* BUF Sabres at CGY Flames
* EDM Oilers at VAN Canucks
* SJ Sharks at ARI Coyotes (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)

Five-game schedule. I hope you get to enjoy some hockey tonight should you be watching.

A few NHL musings coming up...

* I see the Buffalo Sabres are currently 24-17-6 with 54 points, and also 5th in the Atlantic Division. Tampa Bay is basically running away with the Atlantic Division at this point, but can you see the Sabres making the postseason this season, samurai8juice? Vancouver's 21-21-6 with 48 points. They are 5th in the Pacific Division.

* Buffalo is ahead of the Detroit Red Wings (18-23-7; 43 pts.) in the Atlantic standings currently. Detroit's next game is at the Calgary Flames tomorrow night. The Flames lead the Pacific Division of the Western Conference.

* Elsewhere, I read on Yahoo! Sports that the Minnesota Wild traded Nino Niederreiter to the Carolina Hurricanes for Victor Rask.

* So how's Dallas doing? Well, if the Playoffs began today, they'd be in as they are 3rd in the Central Division of the Western Conference. The Stars are 23-20-4 with 50 points. Dallas hosts the Los Angeles Kings tonight in Big D.

* St. Louis Blues have been singing the blues all season long. They are next-to-last in the Central this season (6th) at 20-20-5 and 45 points. The Blues will be in Boston tonight to meet the Boston Bruins. Boston is 3rd in the Atlantic Division, so they'd be in the Playoffs if the Playoffs began tonight.

* Who are the best and worst in Canada right now? The Canadian team with the best record is the Calgary Flames at 30-13-5 and 65 points, leading the Pacific Division of the Western Conference. The Canadian team with the worst record is the Ottawa Senators at 18-24-5 with 41 points, dead last in the Atlantic Division of the Eastern Conference.

Next weekend is NHL All-Star Weekend in San José, California, USA. It will surely be fun at the Shark Tank.

I'm not sure if they can. The East is just too competitive and they're still missing a 1st line RW. And they've been playing really sloppy lately.

They do have three first round picks, so I'm hoping maybe they can grab Mark Stone for one of those, or maybe just a 2nd and a 3rd.

I'm still perplexed at how bad the Blackhawks are this season. It is just surreal to see how stacked that team is knowing that they are one of the worst teams in the league.

I'm still perplexed at how bad the Blackhawks are this season. It is just surreal to see how stacked that team is knowing that they are one of the worst teams in the league.

Just gotta look to the goal tending. Most goals allowed, second worst goal differential in the league. Crawford’s been battling injury all season, but still, 3.XX GAA from each of your goal tenders won’t do you any favours. Patrick Kane can only do so much (and he really is doing THAT much). Their blue line isn’t what it used to be either. Not Detroit levels of bad, but definitely past their glory days.

Speaking of the Red Wings, after LA beat St. Louis tonight (speaking of surprisingly bad teams, take your pick) they’re officially tied for last place with the aforementioned Blackhawks. Unlike those other teams, Detroit’s right where most thought they’d be at the beginning of the season. They’re firmly in the running for the Jack Hughes lottery.

I was really hoping they would expand to Quebec City so they could finally put Detroit back in the West where they belong.

But, they didn't.

Now it looks like Detroit will be stuck in the East for another couple decades at least. Unless the NHL decides to expand to 34.

I’m sorry for how far back this is going, but just saw this......

Detroit back in the West? Why? They’re an Eastern team. I get people missing the Hawks and Avs rivalry, and I’d be lying if I said I don’t wish I could see them more than once a year in St. Louis, but the Leafs rivalry alone is worth them being in the East. If anything Chicago should also be an Eastern Conference team.

Last edited:
The NHL All-Star Game for this season is this weekend. Meanwhile, here is what this Wednesday night of NHL hockey looks like for this week:

* ARI Coyotes at MON Canadiens
* WAS Capitals at TOR Maple Leafs (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)
* MIN Wild at COL Avalanche
* STL Blues at ANA Ducks
* NSH Predators at VGK Golden Knights (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)
* CAR Hurricanes at VAN Canucks

Be sure to enjoy tonight's games if you'll be watching.

The Blues have really started to turn it around. Just 3 points out of the wildcard at the break. I turn 21 in a little over a week (Super Bowl Sunday to be exact) and I’m pretty excited to start heading to some Blues games to legally spend $10 for a bottle of beer:D

I am mostly on full 24 Hours of Daytona mode, but tonight is the NHL All-Star Game. So be sure to enjoy some hockey even while all the racing action is going on.

I didn't see any All-Star activity. But now, all the games moving forward are towards hoisting the Stanley Cup and becoming champions. So here is tonight's schedule:

* WPG Jets at BOS Bruins
* BUF Sabres at CBJ Blue Jackets
* PHI Flyers at NYR Rangers

I don't have a Standings Update, but I will share the current Playoffs rankings. Here you go:

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE: CURRENT PLAYOFFS ---
ATLANTIC: Tampa Bay, TOR, MON
METROPOLITAN: New York Islanders, WAS, CBJ
EAST WILD CARD: Boston and Pittsburgh

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE: CURRENT PLAYOFFS ---
CENTRAL: Winnipeg, NSH, MIN
PACIFIC: Calgary, SJ, VGK
WEST WILD CARD: Dallas and Colorado

Good luck to all of your favorite teams moving forward. Enjoy all the NHL action!

I am late, but here is tonight's NHL schedule...

* TB Lightning at PIT Penguins (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)
* BUF Sabres at DAL Stars

Enjoy this final Wednesday of January 2019 with some quality hockey action!

Hi there! Welcome to February! It's time to think a bit more seriously with playoff implications get a bit more intense. So here is a look at how all of the teams are looking as of this point.

If you're fairly new to the NHL, the records are indicated as (wins - losses - overtime losses; points). Teams currently in Playoff position are in italics.

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE ---

ATLANTIC:
* Tampa Bay (37-11-2; 76 pts.)
* TOR (30-17-2; 62 pts.)
* BOS (27-17-7; 61 pts.)

* MON (28-18-5; 61 pts.)
* BUF (25-19-6; 56 pts.)
* FLA (20-20-8; 48 pts.)
* DET (19-25-7; 45 pts.)
* OTT (19-26-5; 43 pts.)

METROPOLITAN
* New York Islanders (29-15-5; 63 pts.)
* PIT (27-17-6; 60 pts.)
* WAS (27-17-6; 60 pts.)

* CBJ (28-19-3; 59 pts.)
* CAR (24-20-6; 54 pts.)
* NYR (22-21-7; 51 pts.)
* PHI (22-23-6; 50 pts.)
* NJ (19-24-7; 45 pts.)

EAST WILD CARD: Montreal and Columbus

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE ---

CENTRAL:
* Winnipeg (33-16-2; 68 pts.)
* NSH (30-18-4; 64 pts.)
* MIN (26-21-3; 55 pts.)

* DAL (25-21-4; 54 pts.)
* COL (22-20-8; 52 pts.)
* STL (22-22-5; 49 pts.)
* CHI 18-24-9; 45 pts.)

PACIFIC:
* Calgary (33-13-5; 71 pts.)
* SJ (29-16-7; 65 pts.)
* VGK (29-19-4; 62 pts.)

* VAN (23-22-6; 52 pts.)
* ANA (21-21-9; 51 pts.)
* ARI (23-23-4; 50 pts.)
* EDM (23-24-3; 49 pts.)
* LA (20-26-4; 44 pts.)

WEST WILD CARD: Dallas and Colorado

There is still a long ways to go before we determine which teams will get to play for the Stanley Cup. So keep trying to maintain your position if doing well, and make a push if you're not doing well.

Good luck to your favorite teams.

A report indicates that Auston Matthews signed a five-year extension to stay with the Toronto Maple Leafs. He'll be making $11M USD a year for this contract. Toronto is currently 2nd in the Atlantic Division of the Eastern Conference at 32-17-3 and with 67 points. They are behind Atlantic-leading Tampa Bay but ahead of fellow Original Six team Montreal.

There are 12 games on tonight! However, I don't think any games will be on NBCSN tonight. So go enjoy some hockey on this Tuesday night!

Back