• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 63 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
The National Hockey League is ready for another season of all kinds of madness on the ice. Once this season begins in full anger, ANYTHING can happen in three periods of 20-minute action. Everything from top-shelf goals to the occasional hockey fights will happen. You'll have some Power Play moments. You might even see some one-on-one shootouts. Ah... the awesomeness of the NHL. If you believe in the shield- the NHL shield- then you'll be treated to plenty of NHL awesomeness.

Everything from off-season moves to whomever wins the Stanley Cup, and whomever wins any number of awards in the NHL Awards is fair game in this thread. The defending champions are the St. Louis Blues. Who will prove themselves to be the best team this upcoming season? Could a powerful team disappoint hard- like the Tampa Bay Lightning in last season's Playoffs?

In case you need a reminder of who all made the Playoffs last season, here are last season's Playoff teams:

--- 2018-2019 PLAYOFF TEAMS ---
! = division winner
!! = home advantage

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFF TEAMS (2018-2019) ---
* Tampa Bay!!
* Boston
* Toronto
* Washington! (defending Champions)
* New York Islanders
* Pittsburgh
* Carolina (East Wild Card 1)
* Columbus (East Wild Card 2)

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFF TEAMS (2018-2019) ---
* Nashville!
* Winnipeg
* St. Louis
* Calgary!!
* San José
* Vegas
* Dallas (West Wild Card 1)
* Colorado (West Wild Card 2)

The 2019-2020 regular season is set to begin on October 2. One of the matches announced was the St. Louis Blues at the Washington Capitals. So we'll have last season's champs against the champs from two seasons ago.

As always, good luck to all of your favorite teams. I hope your favorite team(s) can have as great of a season as possible. For more on all things NHL, visit https://www.nhl.com .

One of the biggest off-season moves so far has been P.K. Subban getting traded from the Nashville Predators to the New Jersey Devils. I wonder what he could do for the Devils.

Meanwhile, Roberto Luongo is going to hang up his uniform and skates. The 40-year old goaltender announced his retirement today after 19 seasons of service in the NHL. I wish Luongo the best in his retirement.

I am sad to report that Greg Johnson, former captain of the Nashville Predators, has died today at the age of 48. I would like to offer my condolences in loving memory of Greg Johnson.

The New York Islanders will be playing in their new ice arena in Nassau County once the new NHL season starts. The new arena is about $1.3B USD and features shops, restaurants, and a hotel. The Islanders will return to Long Island after a few seasons played in Brooklyn. The Islanders are back on the island! I'll be interested to see how the new arena looks and what kind of action will happen there. That's even if to see the Islanders and Rangers go at it, or maybe even the Islanders and the Devils.

Let me drop a few news bits on the NHL here.

* For the first time in franchise history, the Florida Panthers will retire their first-ever jersey, when goalie Roberto Luongo's number will be retired by the Florida Panthers. Florida missed the Playoffs last season. They finished last season 5th in the Atlantic with a record of 36-32-14 and 86 points.

* Don Waddell got a three-year extension to continue coaching the Carolina Hurricanes.

* Here is a regular season reminder. The best record last regular season was with Tampa Bay (62-16-4; 128 points). The worst record last regular season was with the Ottawa Senators (29-47-6; 64 points). We all know what happened to Tampa Bay in the 2018-2019 Playoffs. The defending Champs are the St. Louis Blues (finished 2018-2019 regular season 3rd in the Central Division with 45-28-9 and 99 points).

One of the first games to come up for the 2019-2020 season will be the Arizona Coyotes at the Vegas Golden Knights on September 15, 2019. So we have less than a month before NHL teams hit the ice to start up the 2019-2020 swing of games.

GIRL POWER! If you believe in "the future is female," then it was recently reported the NHL has hired its first female officials. One of the first of the new wave of NHL officials is a woman named Kirsten Welsh from Toronto. Three others joining this femme brigade of new officials are Katie Guay, Kelly Cook, and Kendall Hanley. Weird the NHL has adopted this kind of Kardashian nomenclature in that all four of these ladies' names begins with "K." So now we'll have some female officials in the NHL much like there are female officials in the NBA as far as the four major sports leagues are concerned. If you want to read a little more on this topic, here is an article on Yahoo! Sports: https://sports.yahoo.com/only-ap-welsh-excited-1-193851694.html .

Also, did you know the first game of any kind for this upcoming season is next weekend? Next Sunday (Sep. 15) will be a game between the Arizona Coyotes at the Vegas Golden Knights. I am kind of curious about how Vegas does in their third season after their nuts maiden season that took them all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals.

I am sorry I didn't mention this, but the NHL Preseason began today. The Arizona Coyotes played at the Vegas Golden Knights earlier today. VGK won 6-2 over ARI. So as Summer winds down and the transition to Fall/Autumn begins, it's time to get hockey action going again.

Next Wednesday will be the first of the NHL Wednesday Night Hockey matches. It will be the Washington Capitals at the St. Louis Blues. Remember the Blues are the defending champions (kolio will PROUDLY tell you this about the Blues). Then on that same night, it will be the San José Sharks at the Vegas Golden Knights. Both games on NBCSN, of course, on October 2nd.

Elsewhere, it's been reported NHL's Seattle team hired the league's first-ever female pro scout with Cammi Granato. Other pro scouts for the new Seattle franchise include Stu Barnes, John Goodwin, Dave Hunter, and Ulf Samuelson. The team still does not have a name. Their new arena is still under construction.

Nine Preseason games are coming up tonight. Sooner than you know it, it will be time to play some regular season NHL hockey again!

If you have NBCSN, they will show a Preseason game between the St. Louis Blues vs. the Detroit Red Rings in Calumet, MI. I'm guessing this is that Hockeyville game. So if that's true, it's Hockeyville with Hockeytown hosting the Blues. Cool, huh? :)

Can you feel it? Ladies and gentlemen of GTPlanet, hockey is back! It is time once again to contest for Lord Stanley's beautiful Stanley Cup. Tonight is the first Wednesday Night of NHL Hockey. The St. Louis Blue are the defending champions, and the other teams want to be where STL ended up at the conclusion of last season. So here is tonight's schedule on this first night of games that matter:

* OTT Senators at TOR Maple Leafs
* WAS Capitals at STL Blues (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)
* VAN Canucks at EDM Oilers
* SJ Sharks at VGK Golden Knights (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)

Aren't you glad hockey is back? Time to hit the ice again!

I hope all teams have a great season this 2019-2020 season of NHL Hockey. Enjoy the action, hockey fans!

Some of the eight games on the card for tonight include a Sunshine State showdown between the Florida Panthers at the Tampa Bay Lightning. NBCSN will show the Minnesota Wild at the Nashville Predators later tonight. There is also the Buffalo Sabres at the Pittsburgh Penguins. What about the Stanley Cup runners up from last season? Well, the Boston Bruins are at the Dallas Stars.

So whatever NHL hockey you're into, enjoy tonight's games!

Tonight is the Wild's opener at Nashville. I'm not expecting much from them this year, but than again I wasn't expecting anything from the Twin's either. :lol:

Hopefully St. Louis can back up their Cup win so I can at least have something to root for.

As 2019-2020 Opening Week continues in the National Hockey League, tonight sees a couple of games to be played. Tonight's card includes the Buffalo Sabres at the Columbus Blue Jackets, and the St. Louis Blues will head up to Toronto to meet the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Enjoy tonight's games!

Opening Week 2019-2020 in the NHL continues tonight. If you want a game for this Tuesday night, NBCSN will show the San José Sharks at the Nashville Predators. The Sharks are 0-3 so far this season. Two games tonight have teams currently 2-0 on the season. Those two 2-0 team games include the Anaheim Ducks at the Detroit Red Wings, and the Boston Bruins at the Vegas Golden Knights. Enjoy whatever games you're interested in tonight.

One full week of NHL action has concluded. Now, we have another! So let's see what the NHL has going tonight:

* MON Canadiens at BUF Sabres
* NJ Devils at PHI Flyers (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)
* LA Kings at VAN Canucks (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)

Enjoy some hockey tonight.

If you're looking for a game tonight out of tonight's seven to be played, NBCSN will be showing the Tampa Bay Lightning at the Montreal Canadiens. Both the Lightning and Habs have two wins each so far this season. The other Canadian Original Six team, the Toronto Maple Leafs, will be hosting the 1-4 Minnesota Wild. The team with the best record playing tonight is the Carolina Hurricanes, and they are at the Los Angeles Kings tonight.

So go enjoy some Tuesday night NHL hockey.

Wednesday Night Hockey tonight has this schedule:

* COL Avalanche at PIT Penguins (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)
* TOR Maple Leafs at WAS Capitals
* DAL Stars at COL Blue Jackets
* PHI Flyers at EDM Oilers (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)
* BUF Sabres at ANA Ducks
* CAR Hurricanes at SJ Sharks

Wow! SIX games tonight! So you have no reason to not check out a game tonight unless you just don't like NHL hockey. Enjoy tonight's action!

Tonight, there are 10 games to be played tonight. According to what I've seen, there won't be a game on NBCSN this Tuesday night if you're looking for a game. We got an Original Six match tonight when the Toronto Maple Leafs visit the Boston Bruins. Hockeytown will come alive as the Detroit Red Wings host the Vancouver Canucks.

Enjoy whatever NHL hockey you're into tonight!

Wednesday Night Hockey tonight! The NHL has this lineup of games for you to check out this Wednesday night:

* DET Red Wings at OTT Senators
* PIT Penguins at TB Lightning (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)

Be sure to enjoy tonight's action if you are an NHL fan!

Tonight features nine games across the National Hockey League. If you want a nationally-televised game, NBCSN has you covered with Tampa Bay at the New York Rangers. A couple of rivalry games are tonight. For one, there is the game between the Philadelphia Flyers at the Pittsburgh Penguins. There is also the new Minnesota team vs. the old Minnesota team- Minnesota Wild at Dallas Stars.

Enjoy some hockey tonight!

It's Halloween Eve! The NHL pulls no tricks. Instead, they want to treat you to this lineup of games tonight:

* TB Lightning at NJ Devils
* EDM Oilers at CBJ Blue Jackets
* MIN Wild at STL Blues (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)
* FLA Panthers at COL Avalanche
* MON Canadiens at ARI Coyotes
* VAN Canucks at LA Kings

Enjoy some hockey tonight, GTPlaneteers!

It's the first Wednesday of November 2019! Your first Wednesday of this month has this NHL schedule. Are you ready for THESE games?

* DET Red Wings at NYR Rangers (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)
* STL Blues at EDM Oilers

So we got an Original Six match in the US-of-A followed by a couple of 10-win teams clashing in Canada. Two games, one great Wednesday night of action. Enjoy tonight's action!

The NHL plans on playing more games in Europe. Recently, the Tampa Bay Lightning and the Buffalo Sabres recently wrapped up their series in Stockholm, Sweden.

This is not a Standings Update, but it is a look at the current division leaders:
* EASTERN - Atlantic: Boston
* EASTERN - Metropolitan: Washington
* WESTERN - Central: St. Louis
* WESTERN - Pacific: Edmonton

That's all. Take care!

Don Cherry has been a hockey broadcaster since 1981. Today, the 85-year old been fired by Canada's SportsNet for scathnig comments regarding immigrants. He referred to Canadian immigrants as "you people" and saying they wear poppies but don't honor fallen soldiers. Either way... he's been 86ed from Sportsnet after a long career of calling hockey. Reactions ranged from it being good he got fired to "boycott Sportsnet" because Cherry spoke his mind. Of course, whiny millenials went with the "boycott Sportsnet" thing. The NHL made its own statement in that his remarks mostly were inconsistent with the growth and pace of hockey. So reactions were mostly mixed.

This Wednesday night in the NHL...

* OTT Senators at NJ Devils
* TOR Maple Leafs at NYI Islanders
* WAS Capitals at PHI Flyers (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)
* DAL Stars at CGY Flames
* CHI Blackhawks at VGK Golden Knights (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)

Go enjoy some hockey tonight! Also, I'd like to wish Sidney Crosby well in his recovery from a sports hernia. He's considering surgery for that sports hernia.

Want Wednesday night hockey? You got it! Here's what the NHL has for you this Wednesday night:

* OTT Senators at MON Canadiens
* WAS Capitals at NYR Rangers (NBCSN Wednesday Night Rivalry)

Two games tonight. Enjoy the action to the fullest!

This Wednesday is LOADED! Thanksgiving Eve has 13 games on the card tonight. NBSCN will show the Philadelphia Flyers at the Columbus Blue Jackets tonight. Enjoy some hockey tonight.

Welcome to the first Wednesday night of December 2019! Here's tonight's schedule:

* COL Avalanche at TOR Maple Leafs
* STL Blues at PIT Penguins (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)
* OTT Senators at EDM Oilers
* WAS Capitals at LA Kings

Have a good Wednesday night of hockey!

You know, I Never had a chance to update the Standings for the NHL teams so far this season! Let's change that, shall we? Find your favorite team(s) here in determining who all are doing well:

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE ---
ATLANTIC: Boston (20-4-6; 46 pts), FLA (15-9-5; 35 pts.), BUF (14-11-6; 34 pts.), MON (31-11-6; 32 pts.), TOR (14-13-4; 32 pts), TB (14-10-3; 31 pts.), OTT (12-17-1; 25 pts.), DET (7-21-3; 17 pts.)

METROPOLITAN: Washington (22-4-5; 49 pts.), NYI (19-7-2; 40 pts.), PHI (17-8-5; 39 pts.), PIT (17-9-4; 38 pts.), CAR (18-11-1; 37 pts.), NYR (15-11-3; 33 pts.), CBJ (11-14-4; 26 pts.), NJ (9-15-5; 23 pts.)

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE ---
CENTRAL: St. Louis (18-7-6; 42 pts.), COL (19-8-2; 40 pts.), WPG (18-10-2; 38 pts.), DAL (17-11-3; 37 pts.), MIN (14-12-4; 32 pts.), NSH (13-10-5; 31 pts.), CHI (12-12-6; 30 pts.)

PACIFIC: Edmonton (18-10-4; 40 pts.) ARI (18-10-4; 40 pts.), VGK (15-12-5; 35 pts.), VAN (15-11-4; 34 pts.), CGY (15-12-4; 34 pts.), SJ 15-15-2; 32 pts.), ANA (12-14-4; 28 pts.), LA (11-18-2; 24 pts.)

I honestly haven't seen too much hockey so far this season. Looking at these standings... wow. I never thought Detroit would be on such a downward spiral. Hockeytown not all that baller so far this season. Unlike the other four major American sports, I don't have a favorite NHL team. So I think it's pretty sad seeing Detroit as a doormat this season along with having the worst record of any team in the NHL. Also some tough times for the Minnesota Wild in 2019-2020. Meanwhile, kolio's St. Louis Blues are doing well and asserting themselves nicely in the Central Division.

There is still plenty of season left. So there is still time for lesser teams to maybe make a run towards the postseason. Teams currently having great seasons need to continue to keep their winning ways going. Let's see who all can either keep their solid form or make great improvements moving forward.

If Wednesday Night Hockey is your thing, allow me interest you in these matches for tonight:

* BOS Bruins at WAS Capitals (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)
* OTT Senators at MON Canadiens
* PHI Flyers at COL Avalanche

So tonight features two of the NHL's Original Six, one of which playing on national TV. Feel free to enjoy tonight's action! Don't forget also to chime in on NHL action and news you want to share here. Don't be shy!

Back