NHL: 2019-2020 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 63 comments
Next Wednesday is Christmas. This Wednesday? This schedule:

* ANA Ducks at NJ Devils
* COL Avalanche at CHI Blackhawks (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)
* EDM Oilers at STL Blues

If you want hockey tonight, you got it! So go enjoy the action tonight!

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Before the NHL hits the ice for the first time in 2020, here is a Standings Update to see how the teams are fairing so far this season...

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE ---
ATLANTIC: Boston (24-7-10; 58 pts.), TOR (22-14-5), 49 pts.), TB (21-13-4; 46 pts), FLA (20-14-5; 46 pts), MON (18-16-6; 42 pts.), BUF (17-17-7; 41 pts.), OTT (16-19-5; 37 pts.), DET (10-28-3; 23 pts.)

METROPOLITAN: Washington (27-9-5; 59 pts.), NYI (25-10-3; 53 pts.), PIT (24-11-4; 52 pts.), CAR (24-14-2; 50 pts.), PHI (22-13-5; 52 pts.), CBJ (18-14-8; 44 pts.), NYR (19-16-4; 42 pts.), NJ (14-19-6; 34 pts.)

CURRENT EAST WILD CARD: Carolina and Philadelphia

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE ---
CENTRAL: St. Louis (26-9-6; 58 pts.), COL (23-13-4; 50 pts.), DAL (22-14-4; 48 pts.), WPG (22-15-3; 47 pts.), MIN (19-17-5; 43 pts.), NSH (18-14-6; 42 pts.), CHI (18-17-6; 42 pts.)

PACIFIC: Vegas (22-15-6; 50 pts.), ARI (22-16-4; 48 pts.), VAN (21-15-4; 46 pts.), EDM (21-17-4; 46 pts.), CGY (20-17-5; 45 pts.), LA (17-21-4; 38 pts.), ANA (16-19-5; 37 pts.), SJ (17-21-3; 37 pts.)

CENTRAL WEST WILD CARD: St. Louis and Colorado/Dallas (tied)

The only game on today is the NHL Winter Classic in Dallas at the Cotton Bowl between the Nashville Predators vs. the Dallas Stars. Thanks for dropping by. Have an awesome 2020!

The Washington Capitals have become the first team to hit 60 points so far this season. The Caps have played 42 games and have a record of 28-9-5 and have 61 points. Washington leads the Metropolitan Division of the Eastern Conference ahead of the 2nd Place New York Islanders.

From mountain high... to valley low. Sadly for some of us GTPlaneteers, the team at the bottom is Hockeytown. The Detroit Red Wings have a record of 10-29-3 and 23 lowly points. I read on ESPN's Bottom Line that Detroit has suffered the most losses through 42 games in franchise history. Keep in mind- Detroit is one of the NHL's Original Six. So this is the worst in over a century or so for one of the NHL's greatest teams. Also sad the Red Wings have gone from about 25 or so straight playoff appearances to not even making it again since 2016. I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit gets REALLY active in the trade market or maybe change up the coaching staff. This is futility like you won't believe.

Neither Washington nor Detroit are playing today. Of games that went final, though...

* The Edmonton Oilers downed the Boston Bruins 4-1 in Boston.

* Buffalo may be focused on their NFL's Buffalo Bills trying to defeat the Houston Texans, but the Sabres handled the Florida Panthers 3-2 in Buffalo.

* It was also 3-2 in Columbus, as the San José Sharks took down the Columbus Blue Jackets.

* The Winnipeg Jets and Minnesota Wild couldn't settle their business in regulation, so Overtime was needed. In St. Paul and in Overtime, it was the Minnesota Wild winning 3-2.

* The defending champions were taken to the limit in Las Vegas. The St. Louis Blues fell at the Vegas Golden Knights 5-4.

Congratulations to all other winners up to and beyond the time of this post.

Time to start another Wednesday. Here are your games for this Wednesday of NHL hockey:

* WAS Capitals at PHI Flyers (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)
* WPG Jets at TOR Maple Leafs
* DAL Stars at LA Kings (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)

So if you don't have any special plans for this Wednesday, let the NHL treat you to some fine hockey tonight.

Back on Sunday, I kind of watched some of the game where the Detroit Red Wings were at the Chicago Blackhawks in an Original Six matchup. Detroit went on a 2-0 lead early on. Chicago, though, quickly scored two goals in less than a minute in the 2nd Period. They'd then tack on two more. So the Blackhawks won 4-2 against Detroit back on Sunday and further compounded Detroit's woeful 2019-2020 season. Ouch.

As for tonight, enjoy tonight's action!

Time for another Wednesday of NHL hockey. This one is special for me because... today is my birthday! So I guess the NHL has this as its present to those born on January 15 like yours truly:

* CHI Blackhawks at MON Canadiens
* PHI Flyers at STL Blues (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)

How about this? We got an NHL Original Six match between Chicago and Montreal. Also, the defending champions will host the Flyers at the site of this season's All-Star Game. Plenty of action to enjoy with these two games.

I hope you all get to enjoy the action tonight!

This is the final Wednesday Night Hockey before the All-Star Break. Here are tonight's games:

* WPG Jets at CBJ Blue Jackets
* DET Red Wings at MIN Wild (NBCSN Wednesday Night Hockey)

This season's NHL All-Star Game is in St. Louis. Enjoy tonight's action, though!

I heard that Alex Ovechkin has a chance tonight to surpass 700 career goals. The Great 8 needs only two goals to reach that milestone. He knocked down his 500th goal back in January 2016. I hope he gets to 700 goals, even if it doesn't happen tonight. The Washington Capitals will host the New York Islanders tonight.

Enjoy whatever NHL action you're interested in tonight.

I want to congratulate Alex Ovechkin on knocking down his 700th goal of his career. He's the 8th ever player in NHL history to score 700 goals, and he's also the second to do it all with one franchise (Gordie Howe the other). Only Wayne Gretzky reached 700 goals quicker than Ovechkin (886 for Gretzky, 1144 for Ovechkin). Goal No. 700 for Ovie was a goal in the 3rd Period to tie the game at 2-2. Sadly, the Washington Capitals lost at the New Jersey Devils 3-2 today. I still salute the Great 8.

Also, it's official- the Detroit Red Wings have officially been eliminated from any postseason hope. The 2019 Detroit Red Wings are one of the quickest eliminations from the postseason since 1996. It's sad because... it was about 1996 when the Red Wings made those 25 straight postseason appearances. Yeah... Hockeytown not so baller the past few years. So I sympathize with the likes of Joey D and AnthonyD1993 and other GTPlanet Red Wings fans.

Other than that, congratulations to all game winners today up to and beyond the time of this post.

The Blues will be the opponent for the Wild at next year’s Winter Classic.

I’ve never been huge on the concept, but considering it’s my two favorite teams, I may have to try scoring some tickets.

Have you heard the recent story of an emergency goalie helping the Carolina Hurricanes preserve a win? A Zamboni driver for the Carolina Hurricanes named David Ayres made his NHL debut when two of the Hurricanes' goalies got injured in the same game. The 42-year old is also the recipient of having a kidney transplant. He has since made a full recovery after receiving the kidney transplant ten years ago. The Hurricanes have been selling T-shirts for which the funds will go towards a kidney foundation. Talk about being an overnight success! Ayres became the first-ever emergency goalie to win an NHL game in his debut. There is actually a rule in which every NHL team must have a backup goalie in case a Home or Away team does not have an available goalie in the event that goalies get injured during the course of a game. The Hurricanes ended up defeating the Toronto Maple Leafs 6-3 this past Saturday in Toronto.

VERY cool story. Any other details on this story I may have missed can be found in this article I looked up: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...res-becomes-a-sports-sensation-overnight.html

Now for a not-so-happy story, especially if you're a Detroit Red Wings fan. Here is an article on how bad the Red Wings have been this season: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/wh...nk-as-a-historic-embarrassment-202411864.html . And this one is about the Red Wings being the first eliminated team from postseason contention for 2019-2020: https://sports.yahoo.com/red-wings-...nated-from-playoffs-since-1996-042821053.html . I feel for Hockeytown. Most Detroit fans probably moved on to the NBA's Detroit Pistons and Major League Baseball's Detroit Tigers, or maybe even awaiting the NFL's Detroit Lions.

Only one game on tonight- the Ottawa Senators at the Columbus Blue Jackets. I hope your favorite team(s) is/are doing well.

Most Detroit fans probably moved on to the NBA's Detroit Pistons and Major League Baseball's Detroit Tigers, or maybe even awaiting the NFL's Detroit Lions.

Imagine having those as your options...oof.

Still, I paid for the ability to watch the Wings so I gotta keep watching them. Hopefully, Yzerman turns things around in the next couple of years. I'm not expecting miracles, but making the playoffs would be nice.

You can trust some ESPN shows to pretend they care about hockey and actually follow it, or you can jump here on GTPlanet and get quality hockey material like this Standings Update. Your call...

LEGEND: (wins, losses, overtime losses; points)

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE: At March 2, 2020 ---
ATLANTIC: Boston (41-13-2; 94 pts.), TB (41-14-5; 87 pts.), TOR (35-23-8; 78 pts.), FLA (33-26-7; 73 pts.), MON (30-28-9; 69 pts.), BUF (29-28-8; 66 pts.) OTT (23-31-12; 58 pts.), DET (15-47-5; 35 pts.)

METROPOLITAN: Washington (40-19-6; 86 pts.), PHI (38-20-7; 83 pts.), PIT (37-21-6; 80 pts.), NYI (35-21-8; 78 pts.), COL (32-21-14; 78 pts.), CAR (35-24-5; 75 pts.), NYR (35-26-4; 74 pts.), NJ (26-27-12-; 64 pts.)

CURRENT EAST WILD CARD: New York Islanders and Columbus

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE: At March 2, 2020 ---
CENTRAL: St. Louis (39-17-10; 88 pts.), COL (39-18-7; 85 pts.), DAL 3721-7; 81 pts.), NSH (32-24-7; 81 pts.), WPG (33-28-6; 72 pts.), MIN (32-26-7; 71 pts.), CHI (29-28-8; 66 pts.)

PACIFIC: Vegas (36-23-8; 80 pts.), EDM (34-23-8; 76 pts.), CGY (34-23-8; 75 pts.), VAN (34-25-6; 74 pts.), ARI (32-27-8; 72 pts.), SJ (28-33-4; 60 pts.), ANA (26-31-8; 60 pts.), LA (25-35-6; 56 pts.)

CURRENT WEST WILD CARD: Vancouver and Nashville

No teams have clinched any Playoff berths. Only "clinching" of any kind was Detroit being mathematically eliminated from Playoff contention. There's still a lot to be earned as this regular season winds down. So teams with a playoff pulse should keep playing hard to help their postseason cause.

Be sure to check out some NHL games and enjoy the action!

As with almost anything in today's landscape, the NHL has also been affected by Coronavirus/COVID-19 to where their season was suspended. Just about everybody is feeling this whole deal in some sort of way and is making some sort of impact as a result.

NHL news during the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic has been rather slow. So here is an update post of some kind to share with you all...

* The IIHF World Championship was cancelled because of COVID-19. The American roster was to consist of mostly NHL players.

* Two Ottawa Senators were diagnosed with COVID-19. No names have been identified as of yet.

So far, there have only been two players noted for having been tested positive to COVID-19, both from the Ottawa Senators.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman says it may not be possible to play out the rest of the full 2019-2020 season. So we'll have to see what the NHL comes up with to try to make the most of the 2019-2020 season so far.

[OMISSIONS] I have a handful of omissions to share in this edit.

* Colby Cave of the Edmonton Oilers suffered brain bleeding overnight, and he had surgery done to remove a cyst in his brain. He has been put into a medically-induced coma. I sure hope he will be alright.

* New positive cases of COVID-19/Coronavirus surfaced among an Ottawa Senators player and a Colorado Avalanche player.

It seems like all or most of the positive COVID-19 cases have involved Ottawa and Colorado. Surprised there hasn't been too many more cases reported among other teams.

Last edited:
Yesterday would have supposedly been the start of the 2019-2020 National Hockey League Playoffs for this season. Unfortunately, thanks to COVID-19/Coronavirus, all of the would-be playoff madness has been suspended. The way I found out about all of this was when I saw a video uploaded by the NHL's YouTube page. There was a massive Zoom video chat featuring two NHL broadcasters and the entire St. Louis Blues team. In total, there were about 25 people linked together for a Zoom video chat. I surely didn't see all of it, as it was 34 minutes long, but anything to subside this whole lock down or quarantine deal is surely worth it.

Unfortunately, Colby Cave has died. The Edmonton Oiler died at the age of 25 after suffering some brain bleeding from a cyst in his brain. My thoughts and prayers go out to all who known and loved him. Same for the Edmonton Oilers organization.

I have been hearing about the possibilities of the NHL playing out this 2019-2020 season in neutral sites. Not sure what cities are being considered, but I'm wondering what cities could possibly be used to extend this season. There obviously will not be any fans in the stands because of the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic. So the NHL will try to still soldier out this season and hopefully get things back underway.

Kinda sounds like training camp is in May with final games in June and playoffs in July.
Don't know how accurate but something to be thinking of maybe?

You know, that is a realistic possibility. I usually think the NHL starts up around September with Preseason games followed by the regular season in October. Something tells me that maybe have Preseason matches early in October and then maybe do the regular season later in October (or maybe early November). I am not sure what the NHL wants to do at this point.

Training camp usually starts in mid-September, regular season usually the first weekend of October. I'd guess this will push things back at least a month.

According to Bleacher Report, an article I saw as an Android notification says the start of the 2020-2021 NHL season could go into December at this current pace. Here is the article regarding the NHL's move to start next season in December on Bleacher Report if you're interested: https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-season-start-could-be-delayed-until-december .

The NHL still right now is suspended. I'm thinking trying to condense everything for the 2019-2020 season is more like when the NBA had to jam in as much season as possible after extensive CBA issues back in 2011 or so. I'm sure lots of us still miss sports. Even us who love us some NHL hockey can't wait to see players hit the ice (and each other) again.

Originally scheduled for around late June, the National Hockey League is considering moving up the NHL Draft to June 5 and be held virtually (like the 2020 NFL Draft). The NHL will make a formal decision on this draft sometime next week. I think I read the teams would be open to this if it is safe to continue the 2019-2020 NHL season.

The National Hockey League Players Association (NHLPA) has agreed to a 24-team playoff format. So of the 31 teams in the league, teams like Detroit and various other basement dwelling teams in each division are pretty much done for the 2019-2020 season with this format. Those other losing teams not part of this 24-team playoff format besides Detroit include the following: Ottawa, Los Angeles, Anaheim, New Jersey, and Buffalo. How this will all be handled still remains in the air and still remains under negotiations. So stay tuned to social media and other sports media outlets for the latest information as to how the NHL will handle determining the Stanley Cup champions for this season.

Well, hockey fans... at least the NHL will be coming back, even in this most unusual way.

Earlier today, the National Hockey League has set up a plan to return to playing hockey. Gary Bettman aims to resume hockey for 2019-2020 based on the fans and players. I was only able to capture a decent amount of information from the announcement made on NBCSN around 4:30 PM Eastern Time. So let me break this down for you all.

The fans and players want the 2019-2020 season to resume. Doing so requires guidance from civil and medical authorities. Announced today were details of a 24-team playoff system to resume hockey. That's right- the regular season is no more. The 24 teams were chosen based on the best 24 at the pause of the season back on March 12. Hub Cities will be used to help set up quality opposition. These cities are those that have secured hotels, arenas, practiced facilities, and in-market transportation. Teams are limited to about 50 personnel in Hub Cities and a small amount of people in event areas. As important as it is, constant testing is important. Teams could resume using home facilities in Phase 2 of the Playoffs format starting in early June. Formal Training Camp is in Phase 3, starting no earlier than July 1. Phase 4 has all of the playoff play format.

That is as much information as I could procure at this point. Other details you'll have to find out on your own. Long story short... hockey is back! Or at least, coming back.

[UPDATE] Here is a more complete resource regarding the NHL's return to play as well as the 2020 NHL Draft format: https://media.nhl.com/public/news/13995 .

Last edited:
The National Hockey League has approved of Canada to have "hub cities" for this modified 2019-2020 season. Action can begin around late July or early August. Canada has had some interest in having hub cities with this playoff format put into play. So it's cool to have such cities take part in the United States and Canada.

The National Hockey League has shortened their "Hub City" candidates down to six cities:

* Los Angeles, CA, USA
* Las Vegas, NV, USA
* Chicago, IL, USA
* Toronto, Ontario, Canada
* Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
* Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

The cities eliminated as being Hub Cities for the NHL resuming this season were all American cities- Dallas, Columbus, Minneapolis, and Pittsburgh. I guess the cities that have best dealt with the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic best are the ones who may have the best chance of being these Hub Cities for the NHL.

It will be great to see the NHL return once indeed the series comes back proper.

The National Hockey League has voted on making Toronto, Ontario, Canada and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada as the "hub cities" for the NHL to return to action. A lot more details still need to be ironed out, but at least we know what cities will be the "hub cities" for when the NHL returns to action. I heard this season's Stanley Cup Finals will be some time in October.

I have heard that four St. Louis Blues players and one coach tested positive for COVID-19. Specific ones haven't been named for what I know. It was possible that COVID-19 came from a gathering for the Blues. St. Louis is the defending champions of the NHL.

Stay safe, people!

So that new Seattle NHL team coming soon? They have a new name and a color style. Get ready for...

...the Seattle Kraken.

They will wear uniforms consisting of Ice Blue, Navy, and Red. Beautiful Seattle will unleash a Kraken invasion on the NHL. Get ready! If you ask me, I like the logo and the uniforms. See for yourself:

For more information on the new Seattle team, here is their official site: https://www.nhl.com/kraken . Excited? What do you think about the new name and the logo?

Latest Posts

Back