MainBanner.jpg

11.jpg

Last edited:
Cliff

Farol-1.jpg

-Lighthouse-

Escadas-1.jpg

-Ladders-

Pictures taken with my digital camera, slightly edited on Photoshop. Comments and criticism are welcome.

Last edited:
Heh. This makes me want to make fancy graphics for my gallery. ^^; But, on to the photos.

They are both shots of interesting subjects - but I enjoy the feel of the first shot much more. It has a vintage sort of look to it.

I absolutely love the "Footprints" image, but oh dear does that shadow spoil its perfectness near the upper right corner :indiff: As SweetshopUnion said, you have some great framing 👍

Welcome to the photography sub forum. Nice start to the gallery. The vintage feel is pretty good however the composition doesn't work for me on the first two photos you posted up. Just a little off in my opinion.

The Buddha Cliffs are good shots however. Nice simple shots with good composition and the vintage pp works well with these shots too. 👍 Regarding the sand shot, the foot prints certainly works well in leading the eye but unfortunately the shadow suddenly steals the focus.

Keep the shots coming, interested to see more.

Wow I love these! The framing and style of all your shots is fantastic. I can't wait to see this gallery grow 👍
Thanks allot 👍

I absolutely love the "Footprints" image, but oh dear does that shadow spoil its perfectness near the upper right corner :indiff: As SweetshopUnion said, you have some great framing 👍
Thanks. It was the best I could get with a beach full of people. Those lonely footprints at the far right are mine, and I think that shadow is my dad, at least it looks like him :P :lol:

Welcome to the photography sub forum. Nice start to the gallery. The vintage feel is pretty good however the composition doesn't work for me on the first two photos you posted up. Just a little off in my opinion.

The Buddha Cliffs are good shots however. Nice simple shots with good composition and the vintage pp works well with these shots too. 👍 Regarding the sand shot, the foot prints certainly works well in leading the eye but unfortunately the shadow suddenly steals the focus.

Keep the shots coming, interested to see more.

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, I kind of agree with you, something seems to be missing on the first two.
The footprints, now that I think of, I am really really dumb. I normally edit my shots onto Photoshop, and I totally forgot I could have erased the shadow with the Healing tool. :banghead: :dunce:

Here are some more pictures:

Canoeing

Canoagem.jpg

- Canoeing -

Canoagem2.jpg

- Canoeing II -

____

Bonus

pegadasv2.jpg

- Footprints V.2 -

Very nice edit of the footprints shot -makes it just about perfect!

The vintage style is used to great effect, as always. The second canoe shot I feel has a little bit too much black, and a lot of detail is lost. It's a style choice though, and if you like it - keep it.

Heaps better without the shadow. Props for the great editing as well... can't even notice that the shadow was once there.

Some great shots here. Just watch your horizons: if you want them flat, make them flat. If you want them not flat, make them sufficiently not-flat that it doesn't look like you forgot to make them flat.

If you can follow that sentence, you haven't been drinking!!!

Nice work and I also have to add my like of the footprints shot, excellent stuff.

I do also have to echo the horizon line comment as well, Giles is quite right on that. I would also mention a similar thing regarding the Lighthouse shot, the building is leaning over, which keeps diverting my attention from what is a really nice shot, straighten the verticals on the building and it will make the world of difference.

Regards

Scaff

Very nice edit of the footprints shot -makes it just about perfect!

The vintage style is used to great effect, as always. The second canoe shot I feel has a little bit too much black, and a lot of detail is lost. It's a style choice though, and if you like it - keep it.

Thanks. Yes, the risen of the black levels was on purpose, to bring a more silhouette effect to it, since it’s photographed against the sun. Glad you like it though :D

Heaps better without the shadow. Props for the great editing as well... can't even notice that the shadow was once there.

Thanks 👍

Some great shots here. Just watch your horizons: if you want them flat, make them flat. If you want them not flat, make them sufficiently not-flat that it doesn't look like you forgot to make them flat.

If you can follow that sentence, you haven't been drinking!!!

Thanks Giles. I don’t know if I fully understand the statement, but I can make interpretation as to not give the weakest party, and make it like it was intended. Am I right?
Anyway, thanks for the input 👍

Nice work and I also have to add my like of the footprints shot, excellent stuff.

I do also have to echo the horizon line comment as well, Giles is quite right on that. I would also mention a similar thing regarding the Lighthouse shot, the building is leaning over, which keeps diverting my attention from what is a really nice shot, straighten the verticals on the building and it will make the world of difference.

Regards

Scaff

Thanks Scaff, I though the problem with the lighthouse was it being a bit blurred, I’ll have some more things in consideration now when taking and/or editing my photos 👍

________

Another set, enjoy

Go – Come

VaiVem.jpg

- Go - Come -

Veleiro.jpg

- Sailboat -

Compare the second image in this post with the second image in this post

In the bridge shot, the horizon is 30-degrees to horizontal. It's compositionally intended. I wanted the parapets to be diagonal. In your shot of the rock (and in the later canoe shot) the horizon is only a few degrees off horizontal. This makes it at least look as if you were not "being creative" with the horizon, and is thus a compositional error. I think it applies to verticals as well (a point which Scaff made).

In short, make your horizontals horizontal and your verticals vertical. If you're going to break this rule, break it majorly. Commit to the skew, to avoid being misinterpreted.

I didn’t quite knew about that. I always saw straight horizontal horizons as a bit boring to look, and extremely diagonal horizons too extreme to look, so I always tended to make a phew degrees off the horizontal mark, even though, thinking there was something quite wrong with it.
It’s something I’ll have in regard when taking pictures and/or editing them. Thanks 👍

The first bridge shot in post #17 is really cool. Love the tone of the sky and it's a nice simple yet effective composition."👍

The other two are nice as well but lack the punch of the first shot.

Woah, I think that first bridge shot is pure awesomeness! 👍

Man, I miss having my camera with me, I really need to get cracking again :indiff:

Keep up the great work mate! :cheers:

The second one I like a lot, the framing either side by the bridge and the reflection of the boat in the water gives a nice balance.

The first one however the boat gets lost in the background and as such its difficult to see what the focus of the shot is.

I do have to say you have one nice part of the world to take pictures of.

Regards

Scaff

Agree with Scaff regarding the shots. The second shot is far more distinguishable.

BTW, I'm totally green with envy at all the traveling you've done.

The second one I like a lot, the framing either side by the bridge and the reflection of the boat in the water gives a nice balance.

The first one however the boat gets lost in the background and as such its difficult to see what the focus of the shot is.
Thanks Scaff, and yeah, I kind of agree with you in the first picture. I seem to have risen the whites a little too much, making the background even more distracting that it was, being difficult to focus on the boat.

I do have to say you have one nice part of the world to take pictures of.
He he, this are shots from my vacations to Lagos, Algarve, south of Portugal, since where I live, I don’t have many things to photograph. Anyway, I just have one or two sets to post of it. 👍

Agree with Scaff regarding the shots. The second shot is far more distinguishable.

BTW, I'm totally green with envy at all the traveling you've done.

Thanks. 👍 And I am totally green with envy of everyone here using DSLR’s cameras to take photos.:grumpy:

Lagos

- Boats and Fort -
[Click on preview for big size]

- Lagos -

- Sympathetic -

I love this shot. I think it's the best one you've posted yet. Great colours, DOF is good, composition is spot on and it conveys the atmosphere well.

Thanks 👍 I thought it was the weakest from the set, glad you liked 👍

Ladder

- Ladder -

- Tang/Ladder -

Of the "Lagos" set, I actually like the second shot the best. Good use of black and white, and I think the right buildings lit by the sun, make it much more visually interesting than it would be without it.

Of the two ladder shots, I'm a fan of the first colour one. I love the faint tinges of colour make the image. I think the second is also very good, I just prefer the style of the first. ^^

I'd also go with the first ladder shot being the better of the two. It leads the eye very well. 👍

Latest Posts

Back