Nintendo Switch

So got Mario Odyssey 4 Hours ago and already gotten passed Sand Kingdom.

Loving the game so far, the only main problem I have is that it still has got some 3D Land / 3D World roots still left in which contradicts with its non-linear structure but eh, minor complaint. The worlds feel a lot more creative than previous entries which is nice to see.

Also word of advice, if you care about events and cutscenes happening, don't do what I just did with Sand Kingdom. Unlike other games that could allow you to skip ahead with the events you skipped able to still happen, this game is smart and knows when you're trying to do something out of order. In Sand Kingdom, I picked as much Power Moons I could along the way, and was able to get 16 in the level before me trying to go to the top of inverse pyramid where Bowser's Wedding Ship is. I stored them all in, and well the ship that was apart of the event flew off. I'm not even sure if the boss is still there anymore :lol:.

Finished Mario Odyssey about an hour ago which is 9 hours around of total playtime.

If anyone is worried the game is too short, don't worry I did a "ignore the kingdom issues" run where I progressed without solving the main issue of the kingdoms leaving them in ruin and trouble (except New Donk City which was mandatory to progress in the story), well until I feel like 100% the game :lol:. The games ending was great I think and was very satisfied with it as well as the journey to get there.

I only wish the Power Moons were more consistent, they don't seem to know what they want to be, some of them want to be NSMB style Star Coins, other want to be 3D Mario Mission Objectives while others want to be main boss prizes (granted those give you 3 so they aren't as bad as the others), also the game continues the trend of 3D Mario games having 🤬 final boss battles (granted the event after the final boss was incredible :D), however the boss fight in the Ruined Kingdom shocked me and was probably one of my favourite boss fights period.

Fans of Super Mario 64 will probably love the post-game, it's fan service everywhere :P.

I’m only about an hour into it, but so far it is superb. Feels like I’m a kid again playing Mario 64 for the first time.

I wonder if there will be any Black Friday deals with the Switch. I've been holding off on buying one, since it's pretty close to the holidays.

I’m only about an hour into it, but so far it is superb. Feels like I’m a kid again playing Mario 64 for the first time.
With how the levels are structured, I felt like I was playing Captain Toad but with the ability to jump and you don't have to get to the end of each level :P

I really don't have many words to describe how I feel about Odyssey right now, other than I may have finally found the one Mario game that might dethrone the original Galaxy as my all-time favorite Mario game.

It feels so... polished. I'm having no control problems (my major complaint about Sunshine) and the graphics are just phenomenal. The level of detail is just insane.

There is a specific level within a world that will give me Sunshine nightmare flashbacks, as I had to help my one friend do it since I'm the best in my group at platformer-styled games (I'm still in the Sand Kingdom) but other than that particular level I'm looking forward to going for full completion.

The Bowser amiibo is also absolutely ballin'.

Been chilling in the post-game right now. For those worried about those giant metal boxes that have been appearing in stages, don't worry they're post-game material.

Was able to confirm that despite skipping entire events, the boss will still be there. Went back to Sand Kingdom and did the Broodal boss, however there was no proper cutscene period, the female Broodal just dropped down and the fight began. It might have something to do with the fact I actually did the Dark Side world (which is the Broodal boss rush) before coming to the first fight. The same will be probably going for the other bosses too, I beat every single Rematch boss fight but only done the Ruined Dragon and Mechwiggler of the main story boss of the same ones.

Well, this has been a torrid weekend.

Amazon didn't deliver my Mario copy on release and totally lost track of where the parcel supposedly was. I was gifted a free month of Prime despite that 🤬 service causing the problem in the first place. On Friday, I was ensured it would arrive today. It didn't.

Fed up, I managed to secure a downloadable copy for £38 and when/if the other copy turns up I'll be getting a refund regardless. The first and last time I rely on Amazon for release date delivery. I only used them this time since I had a gift card.

So far, I'm enjoying Odessey though. I'll share more in-depth feelings as I put time in but after the kerfuffle I've lost a lot of potential playtime.

Well, this has been a torrid weekend.

Amazon didn't deliver my Mario copy on release and totally lost track of where the parcel supposedly was. I was gifted a free month of Prime despite that 🤬 service causing the problem in the first place. On Friday, I was ensured it would arrive today. It didn't.

Fed up, I managed to secure a downloadable copy for £38 and when/if the other copy turns up I'll be getting a refund regardless. The first and last time I rely on Amazon for release date delivery. I only used them this time since I had a gift card.

So far, I'm enjoying Odessey though. I'll share more in-depth feelings as I put time in but after the kerfuffle I've lost a lot of potential playtime.
They totally screwed me on my GTS Collectors Edition, only telling me the day before release that they couldn't fulfil the order. Kicked up a fuss on chat and eventually got a £60 gift card.

They totally screwed me on my GTS Collectors Edition, only telling me the day before release that they couldn't fulfil the order. Kicked up a fuss on chat and eventually got a £60 gift card.
Baffling. I'll be making my point very clear, purposely cleared my full day on Friday to get stuck in and it didn't even turn up more than a day later. Total shambles.

Dark Side is actually really challenging, well not the main boss rush, that was easy (I didn't even di the main easier version of these fights beforehand so kinda disappointed this was the best they could do). However when you unlock the hidden challenge areas after that, they actually gave me trouble.

The Yoshi one is alright and at worse gets you lost. The main Moon in the Bullet Bill section is easy but the Bonus one is insane, you have to lose all logic and just keep long jumping in quick succession away hoping to make it through. The swing one can get annoying with the games issue with the games wonky depth preception sometimes however the Road challenge was the worst one, it split into 3, with the 1st one requiring you to roll through it all or you lose, the 2nd one requires you to combine triple jumps and dives while carrying your momentum from the previous section. So many times a dive turned into a ground pund which caused me to rage quit once while the third section combines all 3 elements for a test of your knowledge of the mechanics. Was able to beat it but it forced me to work for it whcih I haven't done in awhile.

Should also point out bar the Yoshi section, the game channels Super Mario Sunshine and forces you to do it without your companion (in this case Cappy), since Sunshine is my favourite this gave me a sense of nostalgia.

Last edited:
I've got about 280 moons and am about to confront Bowser in his kingdom. I'm a bit conflicted because I love the gameplay, but I'm not sure what I think about the game content-wise until I get to the good stuff @RESHIRAM5 is enjoying.

It seems to me they deliberately made the overworlds super easy to navigate and traverse to accommodate less-skilled players, but there's quite a bit of "nothing" for maps that aren't all that big. On the other hand, I still only have 50-60% of the moons in most of the kingdoms, so I don't have a real clear picture of how much each kingdom offers in the end.

Mechanically this is probably the best-playing 3D platformer of all time! The rolling ability combined with the open world gameplay makes Odyssey remarkably similar to the Sonic Utopia fangame; Sonic Team should be paying attention. The sections that make full use of Mario's abilities and the secrets or shortcuts that you can find by skillfully applying them are brilliant; all the more reason I wish there was more platforming involved in getting from A to B.

I wonder if there will be any Black Friday deals with the Switch. I've been holding off on buying one, since it's pretty close to the holidays.
Surely there will be, maybe bringing on new color choices too. If I get a second pair of Joy-Cons, I wouldn't mind a few more options beyond another gray pair, sky blue, dark pink, or neon vomit. :P

How about "crystal" colors, Nintendo?

I've got about 280 moons and am about to confront Bowser in his kingdom. I'm a bit conflicted because I love the gameplay, but I'm not sure what I think about the game content-wise until I get to the good stuff @RESHIRAM5 is enjoying.

It seems to me they deliberately made the overworlds super easy to navigate and traverse to accommodate less-skilled players, but there's quite a bit of "nothing" for maps that aren't all that big. On the other hand, I still only have 50-60% of the moons in most of the kingdoms, so I don't have a real clear picture of how much each kingdom offers in the end.

Mechanically this is probably the best-playing 3D platformer of all time! The rolling ability combined with the open world gameplay makes Odyssey remarkably similar to the Sonic Utopia fangame; Sonic Team should be paying attention. The sections that make full use of Mario's abilities and the secrets or shortcuts that you can find by skillfully applying them are brilliant; all the more reason I wish there was more platforming involved in getting from A to B.

Surely there will be, maybe bringing on new color choices too. If I get a second pair of Joy-Cons, I wouldn't mind a few more options beyond another gray pair, sky blue, dark pink, or neon vomit. :P

How about "crystal" colors, Nintendo?
There are many custom modded JoyCon in those colours. :D

I'm tempted to replace my grey ones with a new colours shell.

I brought a neon switch and then decided to buy another set of joy cons to have pure blue as well as 4 joy cons for multiplayer.

Okay...

Beating Bowser unlocks an "mp3 player" feature that allows you to pick your BGM for exploring and collecting the remaining Power Moons. What a criminally underrated feature for open world games, and wonderful in a game that offers 8-bit alternative versions of its themes (technically not NES style but like a Famicom with one of its audio expansion chips, since the covers occasionally include too many channels and/or FM synthesis instruments).

Speaking of which, the 8-bit version of Steam Gardens is totally a Mega Man song.

...officially the best Mario game ever. I'm over the moon to be given this option. :) The same feature made a great difference to my Final Fantasy XV playthrough.

The function of the metal cubes also helps explain my earlier concern, though I have yet to activate them all.

Rocket League Switch got a release date (finally!). It'll reach digital on November 14th and I urge anyone who hasn't played the game to get in on the action. It's a phenomenal title.

On the subject of Mario, I'm loving the game so far and I've just cleared the Seaside Kingdom. The gameplay is stupendous.

Eh kinda hoped for a more Circuit Car Racer but this appears to be alright, I do love the sound of customizable garages.

Meanwhile @Wolfe and I have been at each others necks in Odyssey leaderboards. I kinda gave Cap Kingdom to him and I pretty much gave up but this is an interesting competition going on that anyone else can join :). (Well until Sonic Forces comes out where I'll probably try to finish that before coming back to Odyssey :lol:)

I’m not super competitive with leaderboard stuff, but I put my friend code in my signature in case anybody wants to add me.

Just completed the final level of Odyssey (Darker Side). Winning this gives you the cap to turn invisible, I don't why it's a feature but it is.

It's basically the Grandmaster/Crown levels from previous 3D Mario titles. This one is definitely the easiest, only died twice, the first one I died because I didn't think the leaf road came back after I got stuck so I jumped off and the second time was the gliding pterodactyl section, I never used it before so this was the first time and I just plummeted to my death :lol:.

The question is, should I got back and save Luncheon and Lake Kingdoms, I still have yet to finish the main objectives of those levels but the idea that you can do the last level while leaving levels incomplete is just hilarious to me :lol:

Making Blade Runner homages in Odyssey is great fun. :lol:
IMG-20171104-WA0022.jpeg

blade-runner.jpg

Just curious then, what's people's Switch GOTY so far? I imagine it's going to be quite a heated debate because Odyssey and BOTW are quite literally some of the best Nintendo games ever.

It's still BOTW for me hands down, it totally redefined how I viewed open world games. It's one of the best experiences I've ever had in that type of game.

BotW does some refreshing things with the open world formula, but at the end of the day i’m just having so much more fun with Odyssey.

After completing the main quest in BotW, I was satisfied and didn’t really feel too compelled to search out all the shrines and korok seeds. After completing the main quest in Odyssey, I’m still itching to collect more moons.

So yeah, Odyssey is Nintendo’s lead GOTY contender imo. And unlike BotW, it might actually outshine titles like Nier Automata and Persona 5 as my overall GOTY this year... I haven’t made up my mind on that yet. Though I could retroactively give GOTY 2016 status to P5 since that’s when it came out in Japan, so I feel less conflicted about Odyssey being my 2017 GOTY. :P

BotW does some refreshing things with the open world formula, but at the end of the day i’m just having so much more fun with Odyssey.

After completing the main quest in BotW, I was satisfied and didn’t really feel too compelled to search out all the shrines and korok seeds. After completing the main quest in Odyssey, I’m still itching to collect more moons.

So yeah, Odyssey is Nintendo’s lead GOTY contender imo. And unlike BotW, it might actually outshine titles like Nier Automata and Persona 5 as my overall GOTY this year... I haven’t made up my mind on that yet. Though I could retroactively give GOTY 2016 status to P5 since that’s when it came out in Japan, so I feel less conflicted about Odyssey being my 2017 GOTY. :P
I felt content with BOTW after the main story too, I've played it for 55 hours and every single one was an absolute joy for me. Extra shrines and korok seeds aren't my thing.

Conversely, I'm hoping to get every moon in Odyssey but keep getting distracted with the unbelievable platforming physics. Parkour moves are so fun to fail attempting.

BOTW is my overall GOTY across the board so far.

@Brend -- You'll have to ask me a month from now. :P

Breath of the Wild is the best Zelda game in twenty years, but kinda like you guys, I think it starts off strong and then loses its oomph. Everything you do or collect actually works to make the gameplay less compelling, from a stocked inventory making you unstoppable, to the Blood Moon mechanic turning enemies into HP sponges. Instead of feeling powerful, combat becomes rote and undesirable. I also think there were too few dungeons and the ones we got were mostly uninspired.

Still, the game's design really shines when you have almost nothing. To that end, they did an outstanding job crafting an immersive survival game that's also fun to play, and the "chemistry engine" is revolutionary.

Odyssey is tough to pin down because I can't help but feel like the kingdoms aren't as epic as suggested by the premise and surprisingly underwhelming even for their size, but the platforming is second-to-none when you get to make use of it and there's no shortage of things to do. It definitely isn't so magical and wondrous as the Galaxy games, but it's very spunky and liberating in return.

Between those two I think Odyssey wins; it only gets better and the platforming never gets old. However, Xenoblade 2 is poised to sweep it away. The combat looks very promising and the first two games already set a high bar for worlds and exploration that neither BotW nor Odyssey could match (Monolith Soft are wizards!). It's also inherently special because it appears to be the first major effort by the team (including when they worked for Squaresoft) that has not been mired by trouble during development.

I still haven't played Breath of the Wild yet (still waiting to beat Wind Waker HD since I'm new to the whole Zelda thing).

I'm still waiting for Sonic Forces to see what could be my GOTY for the Switch but at the moment it would actually have to be FAST RMX. I don't like the take online into account on my personal view of a game as a whole no matter how bad it is because online doesn't last forever. Whem I'm not online FAST RMX is a blast. Now I very much love Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, though Deluxe is just an enhanced port (I know FAST RMX kind of was but the nice little touches helped separate it from FRN). I love Mario Odyssey a lot but there was this feeling I had playing it that I was just ticking off Mario games off a list of game to play instead of actually experiencing it in its glory which kinda me from saying it was the best.

Between those two I think Odyssey wins; it only gets better and the platforming never gets old. However, Xenoblade 2 is poised to sweep it away. The combat looks very promising and the first two games already set a high bar for worlds and exploration that neither BotW nor Odyssey could match (Monolith Soft are wizards!). It's also inherently special because it appears to be the first major effort by the team (including when they worked for Squaresoft) that has not been mired by trouble during development.

Meanwhile I still haven't played XC or XCX...

@Lain -- It's a new story with common elements, like Final Fantasy with nopons instead of moogles. You won't be lost if you give XC2 a shot first. The gameplay has evolved each time, so I'm expecting a bit of a learning curve myself, too.

Back