Nintendo Switch

Waiting for the WWE 2K18 release on the Switch as well, 2K has been very quiet on it even though the release date is this month (with no given day mind you). I even forgot about it having a Switch release recently and remember being excited for it :lol:

Someone did get an early copy of the game, it appears to be doing the NBA 2K18 approach where minimal content is on the cartridge and you download the rest of the game in an update. There is a lack of shadows, entrances and some of the creative modes are inaccessible on the cartridge alone.

I did actually play some GearClub on my gf's Switch though since my copy arrived 8 days early. :lol:

Its mobile roots are ridiculously apparent but I'm moderately surprised at how fun the gameplay is. Totally arcade but not bad at all. Will be digging deeper into it when my Switch returns.
It seems like it turned out better than I expected. :) Its portability and splitscreen multiplayer make it worth considering for when I'll visit friends in Madison, maybe for a sale price, but at home on my own it seems to lack a compelling hook.

It seems like it turned out better than I expected. :) Its portability and splitscreen multiplayer make it worth considering for when I'll visit friends in Madison, maybe for a sale price, but at home on my own it seems to lack a compelling hook.
It's definitely not worth the full price they're trying to pull.

I found it for 40% though and so far, I'm happy! I've only did one rally event but the physics were actually more fun than the regular tarmac racing... :lol:

The split-screen is surprisingly great. Has a nice, solid framerate!

I believe the devs have alluded to continually updating it with free content (a la Splatoon/ARMS), so maybe it'll be worth its price in time...

But I'm still gonna wait. Can't afford any games at the moment anyway. :P

Switch obtained, bought the one with the Gray Joycons. The kids will be excited on Christmas. No games yet but my in-laws will probably buy them Super Mario Odyssey which will make my daughter happy. I'm going to pick up the Pokémon game for my son and eventually Zelda for me (and them if they want to play it too). I will probably need a screen protector too, becuz kids and all. I'll probably need another controller eventually.

Switch obtained, bought the one with the Gray Joycons. The kids will be excited on Christmas. No games yet but my in-laws will probably buy them Super Mario Odyssey which will make my daughter happy. I'm going to pick up the Pokémon game for my son and eventually Zelda for me (and them if they want to play it too). I will probably need a screen protector too, becuz kids and all. I'll probably need another controller eventually.
Welcome to the club. :D

I am so damn happy this is coming to Switch.

Ok so I have a concern regarding my 6 year old daughter's skill level and the intial games I am selecting. She was the one who instigated the whole Switch for Christmas thing. Right now her first game is going to be Super Mario Odyssey . She only recently became comfortable with the controls for Minecraft on Xbox one so it leaves me wondering how well she will handle a platformer. Now I'm thinking maybe I should get Mario + Rabbids too, maybe that will be easier for her to learn.

Ok so I have a concern regarding my 6 year old daughter's skill level and the intial games I am selecting. She was the one who instigated the whole Switch for Christmas thing. Right now her first game is going to be Super Mario Odyssey . She only recently became comfortable with the controls for Minecraft on Xbox one so it leaves me wondering how well she will handle a platformer. Now I'm thinking maybe I should get Mario + Rabbids too, maybe that will be easier for her to learn.

I suppose it depends on how she intends to play Super Mario Odyssey: separate Joy-Cons w/straps, or both attached either to the Joy-Con grip or to the Switch itself.

Having done all the above (partly through experimentation, mostly though battery depletion), the range of abilities available depends on which layout you choose. The game "softly" suggests right from the get-go that you use the Joy-Cons as separate units to exploit the full skill set, and there are hints dished out in various forms throughout the game as to how said skills are performed. Attached to either the grip or console does limit you to the basic actions (throwing Cappy at enemies, using him as a jump booster etc.), but the game doesn't instantly become unbeatable because you can't do x number of moves. It's Mario, not Dark Souls.

The game's first two kingdoms act like an introductory course to what makes SMO what it is. If your daughter's never experienced a platformer before, then honestly, I can't think of a better introduction to the genre than SMO. 👍

As for Mario + Rabbids, it's primarily a turn-based tactical role-playing game. Think Final Fantasy... only with plumbers and crazy rabbits.

It might be worth thinking about for later on. See how SMO plays out first (no pun intended. :P)

Lets not forget Super Mario Odyssey has an easier mode which helps direct players on where they need to go to help those not familar.

I still highly recommend Super Mario Odyssey, might be her first platformer experience but you gotta start somewhere and at least she isn't starting with the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 :lol:

Thanks guys, I've decided to hold off on Mario + Rabbids for now, I think Odyssey, Pokémon, and Zelda BOTW should be a good start, 3 games is really more than enough to start with. I bought the official Nintendo case and the USB-C cord over the weekend too, now I just need the screen protector and they should be good to go.

Bayonetta 3 is coming exclusively to Nintendo Switch.

So, so hyped.

The first two games are getting ported over to the Switch as well. Awesome news, I'll definitely be picking all three up.

I think I had kind of hoped for Switch ports of the Bayonetta games since I kind of wanted to play them. Now I'll get my chance.

Wonder what all the naysayers are saying now. Switch has been a phenomenal success so far. Even Sony president said this week that they had to take note of the effect that Switch had had on consumers.

Wonder what all the naysayers are saying now. Switch has been a phenomenal success so far. Even Sony president said this week that they had to take note of the effect that Switch had had on consumers.
It has been an unreal year. The consistency of quality content on the system is the best I've seen since the PS2.

Madness.

2018 should continue the streak too.
Bayonetta 1 & 2
Bayonetta 3
Kirby
Yoshi
Pokémon
Metroid Prime 4

..and we've not even had our first Direct to explain next year's potential offerings.

^ Not to mention the support from high-quality indies, who in turn have been enthusiastic about the support they get on the eShop, in some cases reporting that their sales on Switch eclipse all other platforms combined.

I just spent some time catching up on GTP after a week-long vacation from the internet to play Xenoblade 2. It is my GOTY as expected. :) I think XCX will remain my favorite, but XC2 is hands down a better game. Its spin on the RPG formula is brilliant throughout, from the clever HP potion Arts to the modified adaptation of Final Fantasy XV's level/XP system with inns. The combat is excellent; with some care and timing, I have escaped too many tight situations to count that would have ended in a party wipe in XC1 or XCX.

The fact that it has shifted closer to an archetypal (J)RPG is nostalgic, and not only does it make no bones about being a videogame instead of suffering to be a more "modern" experience, one of the characters is a satirical love-letter to classic JRPGs and I love him. :lol:

So looks like I'm not getting WWE 2K18 on the Switch unless a patch comes in. 2K appears to have gotten the port rushed for Christmas leading to entraces being such low FPS it's in slow motion and matches feeling like they take place underwater :lol:.

Disappointing but oh well, not too much of a loss for me.

Last edited:
We need a remake of Pro Wrestling (NES). I still have a NES and this game and it's still fun to this day.

739417f12c020e11f0a6c4a644c02959--future-games-wrestling.jpg

Pro_Wrestling_nes_screenshot.png

So, downloaded the DLC expansion for Breath of the Wild (Champion's Ballad).

A bit similar to the way the TotS works in that
there's a weapon you get that one-shots everything, but has a short recharge time. The drawback? You have 1 hitpoint (one-fourth of a heart) and will die to anything. Including, as I found out, fire from grass.)

Will post more as I play through it more.

^ Not to mention the support from high-quality indies, who in turn have been enthusiastic about the support they get on the eShop, in some cases reporting that their sales on Switch eclipse all other platforms combined.

I just spent some time catching up on GTP after a week-long vacation from the internet to play Xenoblade 2. It is my GOTY as expected. :) I think XCX will remain my favorite, but XC2 is hands down a better game. Its spin on the RPG formula is brilliant throughout, from the clever HP potion Arts to the modified adaptation of Final Fantasy XV's level/XP system with inns. The combat is excellent; with some care and timing, I have escaped too many tight situations to count that would have ended in a party wipe in XC1 or XCX.

The fact that it has shifted closer to an archetypal (J)RPG is nostalgic, and not only does it make no bones about being a videogame instead of suffering to be a more "modern" experience, one of the characters is a satirical love-letter to classic JRPGs and I love him. :lol:
Can't wait until Christmas to get stuck in. :D

I was a naysayer. I've been a Nintendo fan for as long as I can remember but since the Wii and Wii U were massive failures for me (and the GameCube to an extent, although I still enjoyed that system) I wasn't expecting much from the Switch. I'm ecstatic that I was wrong and I can't wait for more games. I still prefer and play my PS4 more than my Switch, but Nintendo is back and better than they have been in years and it feels great to say that.

Hmm, that's a good deal, my daughter wants minecraft on the switch which I believe is digital download only, maybe I'll pick up one of those.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I really need the Pro controller for the Switch or if I should just pick up another Joy-Con.

The Nintendo Switch has sold 10 million units in 9 months.

Goddamn thing is slaying.
To put this into perspective, the Wii U sold 13 million units over its entire lifetime of five years.

I have to wonder if Nintendo will even bother with making another DS system since the Switch just plain outperforms it as a portable game system in so many ways.

To put this into perspective, the Wii U sold 13 million units over its entire lifetime of five years.

I have to wonder if Nintendo will even bother with making another DS system since the Switch just plain outperforms it as a portable game system in so many ways.

They will, the DS market is just too large for them to ignore.

Back