Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet Comes Back: As A Volkswagen?

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 37 comments

Turbo

(Banned)
United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey
Volkswagen just confirmed it would build its first SUV-cabriolet at the Osnabrück factory starting in the first half of 2020, based on the T-Roc.

Opinions?

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...roc-cabriolet-production-in-2020-123819.html#

volkswagen-confirms-t-roc-cabriolet-production-in-2020-123819_1.jpg

volkswagen-confirms-t-roc-cabriolet-production-in-2020_3.jpg

volkswagen-confirms-t-roc-cabriolet-production-in-2020_13.jpg

I... Actually think the T-Roc would be a good basis for a convertible crossover.

The Evoque had a good shape for a drop-top variant, the Murano didn't - The T-Roc falls into the former camp with its angular appearance.

Answering questions no one's asking.
You hit the nail on the head with that one.

Five years from now, Volkswagen will be scratching their heads, wondering why on Earth they invested hundreds of millions of dollars into a crossover SUV that no one ever bought.

Since VW has found it's direction in terms of crossovers, an all new Passat is what they should really be investing in. For both the US and EU market, as both designs are long-in-the-tooth by now. Sure, the SUV/Crossover market is taking over, but VW's sedan offerings right now are really lackluster. Besides, Camries sell almost 500k units per year, so there's definitely opportunity for VW to profit off of a sedan, if done right.

Since VW has found it's direction in terms of crossovers, an all new Passat is what they should really be investing in. For both the US and EU market, as both designs are long-in-the-tooth by now. Sure, the SUV/Crossover market is taking over, but VW's sedan offerings right now are really lackluster. Besides, Camries sell almost 500k units per year, so there's definitely opportunity for VW to profit off of a sedan, if done right.
...and Camry does it without turbos and fancy headlights and heated everything. VW can't help itself. The Golf is their "people's car", their Corolla(again, another car without fancy-schmancy stuff). How do VW build their " Camry"? Where do they start? I don't know if VW even care to battle Toyota.

I drove a new Passat diesel, a little over a year ago. Lovely sedan. I'm still not sold on the DSG around town. Everything else about the car is awesome. My old '92 Passat GL, was pretty awesome back in the day too. As was my '95 Camry(I finally saw why it was so popular- the perfect sleeping pill).

If the CrossCabriolet and Evoque Convertible were both sales disasters, why would a VW version be any different?

The Nissan was hot trash, so that one is obvious. The Evoque...it hasn't been on sale very long. This article seems to indicate it's doing fine. I haven't really seen any marketing for the Evoque.

My opinion is that this segment has enormous potential, it's just that nobody has really got it right yet. The VW looks closest to what I would presume works - that is a little more Jeep Wrangler than Camry Solara. The Nissan got it alllll wrong by making it look sissy.

The Nissan was hot trash, so that one is obvious. The Evoque...it hasn't been on sale very long. This article seems to indicate it's doing fine. I haven't really seen any marketing for the Evoque.

My opinion is that this segment has enormous potential, it's just that nobody has really got it right yet. The VW looks closest to what I would presume works - that is a little more Jeep Wrangler than Camry Solara. The Nissan got it alllll wrong by making it look sissy.

I think it’s really amazing how Nissan can put out stellar cars like the GTRs, Z series, Q series from Infiniti.

And then balance their scales with things like the Murano Cross and Juke:yuck:

Don’t get me started on the Cube.

Sure, why not? I mean, it's not like the Murano failed miserably...

Ohh, it did fail? :lol: :rolleyes:

Now being absolutely serious, I think it looks great and I hope it has better luck than the Murano.

I did not know this was actually a thing.

It isn’t. But then again neither is an A3 cab . Not anymore. It was a reference to the T-roc (and Audi Q2 twin) being more A1/Polo in size then the slightly bigger A3 - which has the Q3 as it’s crossover variant. :)

*edit* - Oh, they do still make an A3 cab. Thought they were stopping that.

The SUV concept has hit it's peak of absurdity
If it was stupid to put a "offroad" body on a road car chassis now with a SUV (Sport? a veichle big and heavy? Utility in a veichle you cannot find parking even in the middle of the desert?) convertible they reached the point of no return
SUV are officialy the most stupid veichles with 4 wheels ever. Period.

This thing is prowling the streets now
vw-t-roc-cabrio-spy-photo.jpg

I still stand by my earlier comment; I think the T-Roc would look decent as a convertible. Unsurprisingly, it has the same silhouette as a Range Rover Evoque Convertible.

I think this is a great idea, and sassy girlfriends are going to buy them left and right all over San Diego and Florida.

I think this is a great idea, and sassy girlfriends are going to buy them left and right all over San Diego and Florida.

This plus the 65+ crowd that has retired to sunnier locals (So...San Diego & Florida) and want a droptop with a high step-in. It's kinda perfect actually.

Be interesting to know how well it sells. I expected to see Evoque Convertibles absolutely everywhere, and I've probably seen two on the road in the UK since launch. Maybe it sells better in California, but I'd be surprised if this VW is any more common.

Back