Nissan or Toyota?

• Thread starter Sarunas J.
  • 221 comments
Toyota. MR cars are supreme. AWD and Skylines piss me off 95% of the time. Big heavy tank cars. That extra power they have is to make up for the extra kgs they got :P

Ummm.. Mazda? 💡 MX-5 is perfect drifter in stock guise, especially the RS-model. and almost any RX-7 is good for drifting. why? light weight and near perfect balance, unlike Supra's..

Nissan! Skylines arent all AWD. Get a R32 GTS or an R31 if u want RWD. 240sx and 300zx are good too. Toyota just doesn't have much to offer compared to Nissan.

Hah, there's nothing very special about Silvias. In the words of my dad when he test drove one a while ago "I thought these things were supposed to be fast". Non turbo S14s are pretty much as fast as a Nissan Primera or SR20de powered Bluebird. Needless to say he's now wanting a 3sge beams vvti MR2...

I guess you haven't experience sr20det, loads of torque. I know it's illegal but if you have one in your 240sx or s14 it's a load of fun.

Mad Murphy NZ
Whats illegal about an SR20det? They're good engines but they don't sound nice, just a drone that gets louder.

haha, you're in new zealand, you can smogg it through over there but over here in the US, you can't have an sr20det smogg through. If you ever get pulled over and a cop actually look what's under the hood, he'll send your car to the crusher.

T07N
haha, you're in new zealand, you can smogg it through over there but over here in the US, you can't have an sr20det smogg through. If you ever get pulled over and a cop actually look what's under the hood, he'll send your car to the crusher.

Aye, but you see ever so many of them for sale :)

To the best of my knowledge there's no emmissions laws here at all, not even a visual smoke test on warrants of fitness. Can cars really be sent to the crusher in the US? That seems pretty overkill to me. I really don't see how a 2 litre Japanese engine can pollute more than all the massive V8's and stuff that are made in America, where's the logic in that?

Mad Murphy NZ
To the best of my knowledge there's no emmissions laws here at all, not even a visual smoke test on warrants of fitness. Can cars really be sent to the crusher in the US? That seems pretty overkill to me. I really don't see how a 2 litre Japanese engine can pollute more than all the massive V8's and stuff that are made in America, where's the logic in that?

All the vehicles in the states have emissions controlers (sensors, ECM tuning, catalytic converters, etc..) that prevent them from poluting too much... These things can all be retrofitted, however... The SR20DET can indeed be made legal in the states...

Fortunately, I live in a county without emissions tests, so I'm running no catalytic converter, straight through exhaust (soon to be installed), and upgraded ECM...

;)

yeah man emissions are a biatch. Hey T07N, you differentiated a 240sx and an s14....which in alot of places can be considered the same thing. I own a 1995 nissan 240sx se...called an s14 zenki in japan, but mines not a silvia engine obviously.

this emissions is one of the reasons why we dont see alot of great japanese cars over here, that and crash testing limitations. Otherwise Id be saving for an S15 or a Chaser or something. MMMMMMMM VIP cars.

2cents

tedaconda
yeah man emissions are a biatch. Hey T07N, you differentiated a 240sx and an s14....which in alot of places can be considered the same thing. I own a 1995 nissan 240sx se...called an s14 zenki in japan, but mines not a silvia engine obviously.

Last time I checked with Japan they called them 1995 Nissan Silvia (of varying trims) although they dont sell the KA24 trim level in Japan.

I dont bother much differentiating Nissan Silvia with Nissan 200sx (in Australia) because these cars are the same (Extremly close), but 240sx is a different story.

Mad Murphy NZ
Whats illegal about an SR20det? They're good engines but they don't sound nice, just a drone that gets louder.

Haha you are the first person Ive seen put down the sound of the SR20DET, and I mostly agree with you, I dont like their sound all that much. RB's, JZ's sound much nicer IMHO.

S14 and 15 Silvia was badged as a 200 SX in Aust, NZ and Europe. here anyway, the S13 was only sold as a fastback called the 200 SX, it was very similar to the Japanese 180 SX. RB's sound so damn nice because they're straight 6's. There's only 2 kinds of engine that sound better than a straight 6 in my opinion, and that's a V8 and a straight 8.

Back