nk4e's 04 "Subaru" WRX

• Thread starter nk4e
  • 38 comments
United States
United States
nk4e
I am reluctant to make a thread about my car like so many others because my car is simply a project car. My main object for this car is a Daily Driver/ Seasonal Track car. So far, I just want handling but following the suggestions of fellow members, I am going to make a wish list here.
1990 " S13" Nissan 240sx
Mods: Injen Cyborg Short ram
IMG_1522-1.jpg

( I will add more pictures later)
Fixlist:
Tires ( 1 gone)
Windshield
Paint
ValveTick ( possible)
possible bad a/c

Wishlist:
Godspeed Coilovers -$550 USD
Kumho Ecsta ASX 17(possibly soon)

Self comments: This should be named project Flat broke because I am building a great running car with minimum wage.
They make a cone-shaped nut remover that will fit over the outside of the lug, and bite into the lip to spin it off. Any tire shop should have one - just have them spin off the 4 locked lugs. They probably won't even charge you (or at least they shouldn't).

ALWAYS get your crap fixed before you start spending money on aftermarket goodies, unless you want to look completely ghetto. Nothing looks dumber than an otherwise-decent car with a $600 dent and new $1200 wheels.

Mechanically is not different. I would fix the CV joint because it sounds like crap, is only going to get worse, and will strand you if it breaks. You can probabaly do it yourself and remanufactured axles aren't usually that expensive. Button down the rattly heat shield with some stainless steel hose clamps. If you know the car has hydraulic cam followers, try a can of STP "Stops Valve Noise".
After Coilovers, brake pads, stainless lines if you can get them. There's not really much else you really need for track days (in fact, brakes and tires are just about the only must). Maybe a cooling system upgrade.
Update:10/6/10
58147_10150292038230156_628405155_15165529_8184192_n.jpg

33553_10150292038275156_628405155_15165530_710245_n.jpg

36185_10150292038370156_628405155_15165532_7670861_n.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I should really update this thread...god sometimes I miss that Porsche Red and black.
Let me get my car wash tommorrow and I will post pictures but so far
14447_337562195155_628405155_9823761_8054358_n.jpg

My stepfather has purchased new rims and tires for me. Though recently I have added tint.

Your car looks sad. And I don't mean as in that thing is crap, but look at the front of it with it's droopy headlamps and sad face front bumper.

What kind of rims and tires?

Ion racing, I saw them at a local Discount tires and I have Goodyear tires. I think that they are 16's aside from my old rims were 18's
Your car looks sad. And I don't mean as in that thing is crap, but look at the front of it with it's droopy headlamps and sad face front bumper.
I know what you mean, for some odd reason it is leaning towards the driver side more. I may see if its the same if I replace the spring.
58147_10150292038230156_628405155_15165529_8184192_n.jpg

33553_10150292038275156_628405155_15165530_710245_n.jpg

36185_10150292038370156_628405155_15165532_7670861_n.jpg

Last edited:
I though about it, though with this current job. I am more focused on getting it running mechanically right.

Do the mechanics first and the looks second. Just like you said in your first post.

That being said, the smile on the car (and your face) will be side marker to side marker if you ever managed to get hood, fenders, bumper and lights for your car. I heard the kit is cheaper now too.

If any cosmetic looks, it will possibly be lowering springs and JDM lights.
240s ride so high stock that lowering springs do nothing for the height. Get some cheap coilovers if you're not willing to save money, they'll work better and look better than lowering springs.

I know what you mean, for some odd reason it is leaning towards the driver side more. I may see if its the same if I replace the spring.

Did you ever figure out if it was a suspension issue? I hope that it is because if it's not you've probably got a bent frame :(

Hope the project pans out for you and you get her running nicely, you'll have a fun car on your hands.

Did you ever figure out if it was a suspension issue? I hope that it is because if it's not you've probably got a bent frame :(

Hope the project pans out for you and you get her running nicely, you'll have a fun car on your hands.
The passenger fender was hit by a trailer hitch while the previous owner was parked. Also, two weeks right after I bought the car. It was stolen, they painted it black and stole my contents inside. Most likely they did some donuts and left it by the highway. Or it was from the drifting that the previous owner did. But its going to get fixed as fast I can.

Ugh that really sucks :/ I can't believe how awful people are. Poor things been through a lot, can't wait to see it all fixed up.

I just received the Speedometer Gauge from Nissan and I was wondering if I should have it installed it myself, or have them installed it for around another 300 dollars..

Do you have a pic of the gauge you got? Or if I word myself better..... Is it just the speedometer or the speedo cluster that is integrated with the rev gauge and warning lights blah blah blah. $300 is a bit of money to get something fitted.

Do you have a pic of the gauge you got? Or if I word myself better..... Is it just the speedometer or the speedo cluster that is integrated with the rev gauge and warning lights blah blah blah. $300 is a bit of money to get something fitted.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
So far so good. I hope, though my dimmer switch had a boil in the plastic...so now that has to be replaced. Talk about luck..... My parking lights were on as soon as I got outside. I thought I left my keys in the car but it was on and I couldn't turn them off. Since I had to work on the dimmer switch, I took out my speedo assembly and swapped out the gauges..

The thieves painted it black from a Porsche red/black two-tone. I sanded it down and re-painted a faded black.

Low-lifes man...
sick car.
I'd be pissed if they did some ****** amateur spray job on that sick Red/Black.
Nice car nonetheless hopefully it doesn't get stolen again 👍

Well after two months of the 240 being in the shop, the following repairs have been done:
Three exhaust bolts were broken ( which actually caused the ticking sound) and have been replaced and rethreaded
Rack and Pinion was replaced
A/C compressor has been replace
Windshield has been sealed ( no more leaks at the top)
It has been aligned
Brakes also been changed

You know, I used to have a pair of the Kouki tails. I sold it to my friend though. He has a 89 fastback, black, with an SR20DET.

I have another friend with a 98 240SX with an SR20DET, he just finished his top mount GT30 setup before he flew back for school.

Keep at it 👍

Does anyone know of any part review site? I am looking for best bang of the buck for shock/strut replacement. A friend of mine suggested Tokico's.

i love s13 hatchbacks, you're lucky to find one even in that semi-poor condition

^Agreed, I'm on the hunt for one now, I can't find one anywhere!

There seem to be a whole buch of em around my area.

There's a nice gold one still looks stock which im hoping to pick up one day.

I ran across the version with the s13 silvia style rear end from Georgia up here once . Also stock and the lady wanted 2,500 for it but didnt have the cash for it at the time:(

Nice car, I owned a '91 240sx just like that but it was white. I had a lot of fun with that car and I wish that I had a reliable job then because I would have fixed it up nice. Unfortunately the tranny dropped on me while driving home one day and I had to get rid of it. Maybe when I get a nice garage I will be able to find one again and make it a nice project car, I also will be looking for a '69 chevelle to play with but I have some years before I can even think about doing either of these cars.

Take care of that beauty they are great cars!

Nice car, I owned a '91 240sx just like that but it was white. I had a lot of fun with that car and I wish that I had a reliable job then because I would have fixed it up nice. Unfortunately the tranny dropped on me while driving home one day and I had to get rid of it. Maybe when I get a nice garage I will be able to find one again and make it a nice project car, I also will be looking for a '69 chevelle to play with but I have some years before I can even think about doing either of these cars.

Take care of that beauty they are great cars!

The 240sx is a great car, I am trying to keep it that way. Thank for the compliment. PB has a better 240sx than I do ( probably most members do lol).

Back