No Data Transfer From 5 to 6 Thanks to Hacking

• Thread starter G.T.Ace
  • 235 comments
Why the hell would you want to transfer your cars over? IT'S A DIFFERENT GAME.

This is another point that I forgot to make earlier. It's a new game, you shouldn't expect to be able to transfer your data over from the previous title. Like others have said, imagine being able to transfer your prestige level from a previous Call of Duty to a new one. There would be nothing to do in the new one in the form of completion. It would already be completed in that sense. It's a new game, you should play it from the very beginning, that's how I look at it. And that's what I look forward to.

Wasn't GT3 to GT4 100,000 Cr.?

Why are people actually expecting a garage transfer in the first place?
I would have expected, not a full garage transfer, but a limited one like with the credits transfer. Pick and choose a select and limited number of cars to transfer or choose credits. I think limiting the number of transferable cars would be completely reasonable, especially in the case of special edition cars.

Wasn't GT3 to GT4 100,000 Cr.?

Why are people actually expecting a garage transfer in the first place?

Evidently, Kaz wants to do it in some form for GT6 to GT7, so it's not far-fetched to expect it at all.

I would have expected, not a full garage transfer, but a limited one like with the credits transfer. Pick and choose a select and limited number of cars to transfer or choose credits. I think limiting the number of transferable cars would be completely reasonable, especially in the case of special edition cars.

Ok, the special edition ones I can see, but oh well, I wouldn't have used them anyways.

Even though Kaz mentioned this garage transfer previously, I'm kind of ambivalent. I'd love to have a stable of cars ready to go, as if I'm picking up where I left off. On the other hand, I like the feeling of a Gran Turismo game done the way it was meant to be, and that GT5 was kind of a prequel, the way the skimpy GT3 A-Spec was to GT4.

If you guys want credits, just pre-order from Amazon and heck, you get a MILLION of 'em - at the normal price no less! You can't beat that with a drumstick. That should get you a couple of cars. ;)

Maybe PD has something special for those who played GT5?

Vehicle transfer not withstanding.

They could be trying to rev up some money on opening day. I mean think about it, they first announce that GT6 will come in preorder. (One by GameStop and the other by Amazon). Then, they say that transferring cars won't happen. And since some people like to play GT games just for online, understand my point?

Wow, cry harder?

Why the hell would you want to transfer your cars over? IT'S A DIFFERENT GAME.

Some people have failed logic...

Better question. Why wouldn't you?

Failed logic indeed.

This is another point that I forgot to make earlier. It's a new game, you shouldn't expect to be able to transfer your data over from the previous title. Like others have said, imagine being able to transfer your prestige level from a previous Call of Duty to a new one. There would be nothing to do in the new one in the form of completion. It would already be completed in that sense. It's a new game, you should play it from the very beginning, that's how I look at it. And that's what I look forward to.

Why?

There would be nothing to do? Why was I playing GT after I completed my garage? I should have just thrown it in the garbage. Speaking about CoD, skipping the whole pointless leveling that spoils online would have significantly improved the game.

Same here. Bought the CE and have the chromlines and a few stealths but I don't really care about this. Where does it say we are entitled to these cars beyond GT5?
I'm with you on that as much as it pains me to agree. These are some of the more beautiful and fun cars to drive in the sim but, when it's time to move on its time to move on..

when it's time to move on its time to move on..

Is it moving on though? Feels as if were just starting at the beginning... yet again.

If Kaz wants this whole "car life simulator" to have some meaning, for me, some changes will need to be made. Either GT7 will need to be the only release on PS4 and updated from day one to year ten, or they need some kind of transfer or rewards system in place.

This now is like having bankruptcy simulation every few years.

Good point on the we only got it for GT5, still would've been nice to transfer them to GT6.

Also, if you want to start with the powerful cars, go pre-order the Annniversery edition.

Import? Yes/No

I meant it in the sense that I can't ever see both options being available. The way I've understood the essence of GT was to start with nothing and work your way up to the highest level.

Equal footing? Everyone can have all the cars from the beginning. Perfect fairness instead of people playing for a month being bounds beyond new players.

Isn't that how games have always worked though? The more you play, the more cars you've collected along the way and the more experience you have over newer players.

Why? There would be nothing to do? Why was I playing GT after I completed my garage? I should have just thrown it in the garbage.

I was talking about the completion aspect of the game. There's no doubt always going to be some sort of story/career related section of a game and if you have access to everything straight away then it defeats the purpose of progression.

There'll always be that part of Gran Turismo where you can endlessly enjoy driving and racing without the GT Mode, and I can see how having all the cars available from the beginning would be beneficial to this but that's not what I was getting at.

Maybe it's just me who thinks like this but I've always enjoyed the format GT takes from where you start off with the basics.

If you guys want credits, just pre-order from Amazon and heck, you get a MILLION of 'em - at the normal price no less! You can't beat that with a drumstick. That should get you a couple of cars. ;)

Or pre-order from gamestop and get twenty five cars.

Personally, I don't want to transfer anything from GT5 to GT6.

I would view it as tainting GT6.

Hopefully, 12/6 will be a new day, and a great new GT game to help me forget the dissappointments of GT5.

I meant it in the sense that I can't ever see both options being available. The way I've understood the essence of GT was to start with nothing and work your way up to the highest level.
Well if we're going by tradition, why not go back to 6 cars on track? The essence of GT is like that of any other game, it's a piece of software meant for entertainment. Options will only broaden the appeal.

Isn't that how games have always worked though? The more you play, the more cars you've collected along the way and the more experience you have over newer players.
I didn't bring up the equal footing argument.

Also, that's not how games work. In this game a person who just bought it yesterday has everything that someone who bought it on release has:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31fo24gf-rI

I was talking about the completion aspect of the game. There's no doubt always going to be some sort of story/career related section of a game and if you have access to everything straight away then it defeats the purpose of progression.
Not in the slightest, you still have to do all the events if you want to complete it.

There'll always be that part of Gran Turismo where you can endlessly enjoy driving and racing without the GT Mode, and I can see how having all the cars available from the beginning would be beneficial to this but that's not what I was getting at.
That mode has never existed. All I want is for it to start to exist.
Maybe it's just me who thinks like this but I've always enjoyed the format GT takes from where you start off with the basics.
All I want is for as many styles of play to available as possible.

You do. I don't. If garage transfers existed, I could say yes and you could say no. Quite simple, really.

Well if we're going by tradition, why not go back to 6 cars on track?

That's a dreadful and useless comparison, having 16 cars on track compared to 6 is a completely different subject when you're talking about whether you should start a game from new or have the collecting part almost complete as soon as you put your shiny new disc in the PS3.

You do. I don't. If garage transfers existed, I could say yes and you could say no. Quite simple, really.

While true, this would mean zero parity between players online for the first few months of ownership. In a PP room, someone could have access to over 1000 cars from day one while another person could have less than 20 to choose from, that wouldn't really be a fair. Same case if the room is restricted to F1 cars, NASCAR, Le Man Prototypes etc, the "new" player will not have these cars or the money to buy them.

Not everyone who will buy GT6 will have owned GT5, so will not have the option to port over hundreds or even thousands of ready tuned cars. I think parity between all players would be much fairer. Plus I agree with the other guy, to me the whole idea of GT is starting from the bottom and progressing, you do it in virtually every type of game out there already.

While true, this would mean zero parity between players online for the first few months of ownership. In a PP room, someone could have access to over 1000 cars from day one while another person could have less than 20 to choose from, that wouldn't really be a fair. Same case if the room is restricted to F1 cars, NASCAR, Le Man Prototypes etc, the "new" player will not have these cars or the money to buy them.

Not everyone who will buy GT6 will have owned GT5, so will not have the option to port over hundreds or even thousands of ready tuned cars. I think parity between all players would be much fairer. Plus I agree with the other guy, to me the whole idea of GT is starting from the bottom and progressing, you do it in virtually every type of game out there already.

If you're suggesting it'll take months of grinding to have a decent enough garage to compete with someone who transferred their garage over from GT5, that's a perfect reason why it should be allowed. It shouldn't take months to put together a competitive garage.

That's a dreadful and useless comparison, having 16 cars on track compared to 6 is a completely different subject when you're talking about whether you should start a game from new or have the collecting part almost complete as soon as you put your shiny new disc in the PS3.
How is it different? You basically said all the GT games did this, so do it again. You could make the same argument for 6 cars and say that GT5's break from the norm was no good, unless it's not actually traditions that matters.

While true, this would mean zero parity between players online for the first few months of ownership.
Player 1 plays 6 hours a day. Player 2 plays 2 hours a day. Who has more cars?

In a PP room, someone could have access to over 1000 cars from day one while another person could have less than 20 to choose from
And in a PP room, there cars would have the same performance. In a game with all cars available, they're guaranteed to be on equal footing. Also, those who don't import got what they wanted, an empty garage, so saying "it's not fair" makes no sense. They chose what they did.

If you want something that isn't fair, it's that everyone has to bother with GT mode, even the people who have no interest at all.

that wouldn't really be a fair. Same case if the room is restricted to F1 cars, NASCAR, Le Man Prototypes etc, the "new" player will not have these cars or the money to buy them.
This problem only exists in a game where you need to buy cars.
Not everyone who will buy GT6 will have owned GT5, so will not have the option to port over hundreds or even thousands of ready tuned cars.
Non issue.

I think parity between all players would be much fairer.
Won't change.

Plus I agree with the other guy, to me the whole idea of GT is starting from the bottom and progressing, you do it in virtually every type of game out there already.
And it's bad in all those types of games too.

You know... having all the cars from the start and having a career where you work for money and cars aren't mutually exclusive... You can both have what you want - it's just a game design thing.

Gran Turismo hasn't done it yet, but it could do. I actually came up with a good way to do both that I should suggest to Kazunori. I suspect he'd like it.

The first is something that should be in the game. PD should be taking notice and spending their effort to make it possible, not block it.

PD is the developer. Game development is not a democratic process.

In the case of PD, Kaz calls the shots, no one else. Not the reviewers, not the Sony managers and not the players. The game is his responsibility, his baby, his work.

People really need to take a step back and drop all the entitlement issues they have. When you buy a GT game you buy a GT game, not a "game that was obviously built for me so i have the right to modify it like i want". This kind of thinking is exactly what's causing all these problems and it's so damn disheartening to see so many people stick to it. It's antisocial as hell - As all they're doing is just screaming "ME ME ME ME ME ME AND SCREW EVERYONE ELSE!!!!!!".

Aside from that, someone mentioned earlier in the thread that "PD can see hacked saves, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to ban people". What about the saves that were hacked but werent used online? Or backups? It wasn't the saves that were scanned, it was the online portion of the game, very probably using some hashes of people's cars used there. PD and Sony can't magically scan your harddrive (even though some conspiracy theorists like to think so) and even if they could, the permutations for save file configurations in a game like GT5 are far too great to run a script on to see if the integrity is "legal" or not.

You can't really allow people to import hacked saves into GT6. It would be a case of PD having to run after the facts rather than in front. With new games they have more oversight on what's going on in the online portion of the game.

I actually came up with a good way to do both that I should suggest to Kazunori. I suspect he'd like it.

Do it.

On further thought earlier today, unlocking all the cars "minute-one" brings up a complication, what about the upgrades and tuning parts?

Do it.

On further thought earlier today, unlocking all the cars "minute-one" brings up a complication, what about the upgrades and tuning parts?

The actual model of the car (Name and such) is a different hex value than the upgrades. The game could scan those hexes only so you'd get all your cars, but they would be returned to stock to be compatible with GT6's upgrade system, if there are any major changes.

@Lewis_Hamilton_

Dear Lewis_Hamilton_,

What are you doing? The man said, "You could make the same argument for 6 cars and say that GT5's break from the norm was no good, unless it's not actually traditions that matters."

That's your queue to run for your life. How the hell is taking away the amount of opponents on one track in a game based on racing in any way similar to what's being suggested to be an option? One of them has been limited due to ambition ;) and hardware limitations, and the other is something that would be a good OPTION to have for the sake of the people who just want to saddle up and race from the get-go.

AHHHHHHH!!! Seriously. It makes me want to cwy.

Sincerely,
another_jakhole

Well if we're going by tradition, why not go back to 6 cars on track? The essence of GT is like that of any other game, it's a piece of software meant for entertainment. Options will only broaden the appeal.

Diminish a car/driving/racing game by limiting the amount of cars on a track. Isn't the point of improving, expanding?

Let's we/us :D make this clear, I was against garage/data transfers at the "start" when another thread about this subject was brought up about one year ago. Skipping to what convinced me why I should be more open-minded, I changed my position on this subject. I'm not saying your wrong for being the almighty leader of the garage transferees, but what I mean to say is that your rebuttal is utter poo.

Last edited:
I don't see where people were entitled to get their stealth and chromeline cars carried over to GT6, but whatever.
Also, I'd enjoy level pegging and a fresh start. So it doesn't really affect me.

Back