• Thread starter Rallywagon
  • 44 comments

Rallywagon

what a long strange trip
Premium
United States
Michigan
Rallywgn81
With every hater and their mother bashing every aspect of what is turning out to be what I would consider the best game on the PS3 and a fitting finally hurrah for the system, I thought I would post a positive thing I have noted in GT6. No more rocking the wheel back and forth to keep a drift going! In GT5, the wheel had to almost constantly be rocked a bit back and forth the keep a car drifting. especially in a longer corner. But now you can modulate the cars attitude better with accelerator inputs and the wheel inputs can finally be smooth. Well, smoother. I deffinitly need more time tuning and practicing, but drifting is so much better now!

I consider GT5 to be smoother. With accelerator finesse I could be very smooth with steering inputs. Now on GT6 you still can be smooth by working the accelerator more, but it's more difficult because of the snappier nature of the new tyres compared to the more gradual traction loss seen in GT5. But you know what? I could be saying the opposite in months to come when I get better at drifting in GT6 like we all will.

More to my point though, you don't have to sit there rocking the wheel back and forth now, like in GT5. I get little inputs to keep the car pointed the right way, but in GT5, you had to really move the wheel, otherwise you would spin or grip up and lose the drift. All in all, drifting my be more difficult, but it is a far cry better/ more realistic feeling now.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it meant you can't do the rocking back and forth method in FWD cars to rack up more points than RWD cars anymore. Slight disappointment.

Anyway, very good news to hear that drifting has been significantly improved in GT6. Very excited to get the game. Since you guys are saying drifting is better now with the wheel, how is it on the controller?

With every hater and their mother bashing every aspect of what is turning out to be what I would consider the best game on the PS3 and a fitting finally hurrah for the system, I thought I would post a positive thing I have noted in GT6. No more rocking the wheel back and forth to keep a drift going! In GT5, the wheel had to almost constantly be rocked a bit back and forth the keep a car drifting. especially in a longer corner. But now you can modulate the cars attitude better with accelerator inputs and the wheel inputs can finally be smooth. Well, smoother. I deffinitly need more time tuning and practicing, but drifting is so much better now!
I find the complete opposite to what your explaining. In gt5 I could be smooth didn't have to rock the wheel at all really once I got the hang of it. In gt6 I'm constantly rocking the wheel trying to find that sweet spot that isn't nowhere near as easy to find as it was in gt5. Gt6 seems really snappy and unpredictable to me.

Drifting irl isn't hard, games like live for speed its easy to drift in because its realistic, wish i could say the same about GT6.

hyde-laughing-o.gif

Bow down to the drift king! :bowdown:

Last edited:
can you point me to where I said that?

sliding cars around a corner isn't hard, the hard part is when you are pushing the limits.

Neither is sliding a car around a corner in GT6...

...but when it comes to real life compared to GT6, pushing it to the limit I expect is equally as hard. Just without the fear factor in GT6.

You can't jump to the conclusion that GT6 is unrealistic because it's not "easy".

Surely you realise how stupid that sounds...

I'm done here, haha.

You can't jump to the conclusion that GT6 is unrealistic because it's not "easy".

I'm done here, haha.

It's unrealistic because It's not like real life, being harder to drift then real life is just part of that.

I find the complete opposite to what your explaining. In gt5 I could be smooth didn't have to rock the wheel at all really once I got the hang of it. In gt6 I'm constantly rocking the wheel trying to find that sweet spot that isn't nowhere near as easy to find as it was in gt5. Gt6 seems really snappy and unpredictable to me.
MAybe its your wheel? IDK, I do know that I am not the only one that feels this way, and even watched a few videos where people complained of the same issue, needing to constantly move the wheel to keep a drift going. The "finding the sweet spot" is just an issue with learning the new physics. I don't feel anything is unpredictable, though snappy yes. However, when you switch from a tired drift missle to a D1 competing machine, I have no doubt that feels "snappy" too, considering tire compounds and such. I actually think the cars in GT6 handle far more realistic in all aspects than in GT5. But to that point, it is still a game, even at its best, its not going to be real.

Neither is sliding a car around a corner in GT6...

...but when it comes to real life compared to GT6, pushing it to the limit I expect is equally as hard. Just without the fear factor in GT6.

I'm done here, haha.

It's unrealistic because It's not like real life, being harder to drift then real life is just part of that.

Unfortunately, you're both right, Is it harder than it should be? Yes. Why? Because the GT series doesn't support drifting too much. Does this mean the game is unrealistic? No. It is a "DRIVING".... hold on..... "DRIVING" simulator. You are mean't to drive on this game. Racing, drifting, etc. are all extra features but the box itself say "The Real Driving Simulator". So yes the physics may be off at high speeds, but at driving speeds (15-60 mph) with the average day tire (CM - SH) the game is as close to realistic as one can get on the PS3. Does that mean that other areas are flawed (Drifting/Racing)? You bet your sweet ass that does. However, if you are playing the game for those two options then you have to suck it up, drop your ego, and allow yourself to put in the time and effort to adjust to the new game.

Good physics should mean good drifting, The Real Driving Simulator is just a quote, It shouldn't stop them from making a realistic racing and drifting sim.

How many people do you know that play GT to drive cars around at 15-60mph?

Good physics should mean good drifting, The Real Driving Simulator is just a quote, It shouldn't stop them from making a realistic racing and drifting sim.

How many people do you know that play GT to drive cars around at 15-60mph?

No one but my point is, the games is a driving simulator. The company has never said, this is as close to real life "racing or drifting as it gets". ONCE AGAIN, LET GO OF YOUR EGO, LEARN HOW TO PLAY THE NEW GAME, AND INSTEAD OF RAMBLING ON ABOUT HOW BAD THE GAME IS, USE THAT TIME TO GET BETTER.

You know, I had this really asshole ish reply to put out, but I'll digress on it. What I will say though, is that until you feel, smell, hear, and taste the car, tires and street, it's never going to be "realistic" because, well, its not real. we can simulate this and that, but to be honest. Its not a real car you are controlling, and without the real life, gforce and motion is felt, (dbox and simxperience can only mimic so much) then I think this debate of how realistic this game is, is moot. I mean, honestly, its a video game, regardless of the "driving simulator" crap.
As for that, @ProtegeDrifter , go check out some of Kaz's interviews, it may say "driving simulator" on the box, but he is clearly selling a racing game. And he is adament that this is a racing simulator, not just "driving." Since its his game, I'll buy that. Calling a "driving simulator" despite the label on the box is assinine and a play of semantics. No one buys the game to "drive." PD isn't selling the game as a "driving game" there is not even a "go driving" option. Everything since the series started is completely involved with racing. Whether it be against an opponent, the clock, or even a cone count. It's always a competition. Since you are the one calling out people for ego tripping, with all those cap locks, maybe we should grab a mirror for you.

You know, I had this really asshole ish reply to put out, but I'll digress on it. What I will say though, is that until you feel, smell, hear, and taste the car, tires and street, it's never going to be "realistic" because, well, its not real. we can simulate this and that, but to be honest. Its not a real car you are controlling, and without the real life, gforce and motion is felt, (dbox and simxperience can only mimic so much) then I think this debate of how realistic this game is, is moot. I mean, honestly, its a video game, regardless of the "driving simulator" crap.
As for that, @ProtegeDrifter , go check out some of Kaz's interviews, it may say "driving simulator" on the box, but he is clearly selling a racing game. And he is adament that this is a racing simulator, not just "driving." Since its his game, I'll buy that. Calling a "driving simulator" despite the label on the box is assinine and a play of semantics. No one buys the game to "drive." PD isn't selling the game as a "driving game" there is not even a "go driving" option. Everything since the series started is completely involved with racing. Whether it be against an opponent, the clock, or even a cone count. It's always a competition. Since you are the one calling out people for ego tripping, with all those cap locks, maybe we should grab a mirror for you.

Hahaha all I was saying is it will never be 100% realistic. Mr. @Rallywagon please calm down. Do you honestly believe this is a racing simulator. Not even close. Maybe a console racer. But racing sim? No. LFS, rFactor, etc. Racing sims. Once again, spend more time on the game and less time bashing it on forums, maybe you'll get used to it. No egoism in there. Simple statement. Good day!

Hahaha all I was saying is it will never be 100% realistic. Mr. @Rallywagon please calm down. Do you honestly believe this is a racing simulator. Not even close. Maybe a console racer. But racing sim? No. LFS, rFactor, etc. Racing sims. Once again, spend more time on the game and less time bashing it on forums, maybe you'll get used to it. No egoism in there. Simple statement. Good day!

Read much? Where is @Rallywagon bashing the game?

I feel really bad for the drifting forum, too many people giving it a bad name. Why do people skim though a post and think they've read it thoroughly enough to make a comment? Some people need to slow down, read, re-read, THEN comment. Stop jumping the gun! How many threads have to close before you guys get the message?

Now I remember why I left the drift forums.....

To get back on topic I agree with both those saying the steering is smoother and not. The game really does a great job compared to GT5 when it comes to simulating steering with the throttle and brake. With that being said the steering does feel very sensitive at times and due to the way tires(CH) regain grip very quickly things can get hairy when angles get shallow and grip is getting close to be regained. I thinks it's something that will be heavily influenced by tuning.

More to my point though, you don't have to sit there rocking the wheel back and forth now, like in GT5. I get little inputs to keep the car pointed the right way, but in GT5, you had to really move the wheel, otherwise you would spin or grip up and lose the drift. All in all, drifting my be more difficult, but it is a far cry better/ more realistic feeling now.
I suppose you did have to rock the wheel atiny bit but I'll agree that it's more realistic now and therefore better

I agree 100% smokey. In GT5 I could set my wheel a full lock and not move it until transition. GT6 feels like I won't be able to do that. I have to saw the wheel back and forth to get anything presentable.

Its really just getting used to the new physics. Few days ago I was having the same issue but now Im almost getting to that smoothness level of GT5.

Read much? Where is @Rallywagon bashing the game?

I feel really bad for the drifting forum, too many people giving it a bad name. Why do people skim though a post and think they've read it thoroughly enough to make a comment? Some people need to slow down, read, re-read, THEN comment. Stop jumping the gun! How many threads have to close before you guys get the message?

Now I remember why I left the drift forums.....

HAHAHA @Bluntified , maybe you should read more. My original statement was not towards @Rallywagon . It was towards streeto and driftnick. Then he tried to check me by saying I have an ego, which may be true, however I do not allow my ego to cloud my judgment. If @Bluntified and @Rallywagon will sit back, calm down, and read the conversation again then they will both see that my ORIGINAL POST (meaning before the conflict which was started by @Rallywagon and escalated by yours truly) was towards streeto and driftnick's complaints. Please think before you reply to my post from now on. I don't enjoy conflict especially unnecessary conflict.

Gt6? more like GT sicks to my stomach.

I'm here to shed some light on the drift/time trails physics of Gt6 or lack thereof.

I drift in real life and found Gt5 to be hands down a hell of a lot closer in physics than this stinking pile of Gt6
nonsense.

In drift mode, the wheel is drunk and cannot hold a sweet spot.
In Time Trials, you cannot hold good angle or let off throttle because this game wants you to spin out.

Personally, I feel robbed that Polyphony Digital sold this Flying Turd to (us) the masses and called it gold.

Lame Lame Lame.

Secondly, It doesn't even look better!

I'm going back to my Hacked Gt5 (the original Gt6)

MAybe its your wheel? IDK, I do know that I am not the only one that feels this way, and even watched a few videos where people complained of the same issue, needing to constantly move the wheel to keep a drift going. The "finding the sweet spot" is just an issue with learning the new physics. I don't feel anything is unpredictable, though snappy yes. However, when you switch from a tired drift missle to a D1 competing machine, I have no doubt that feels "snappy" too, considering tire compounds and such. I actually think the cars in GT6 handle far more realistic in all aspects than in GT5. But to that point, it is still a game, even at its best, its not going to be real.
I was drifting a 5 60 60 LSD. After experimenting I have found this setup to be terrible and the main reason for my constant fighting with the wheel. To the people having difficulty on the wheel check my thread G27 noob/pro in 10 seconds.

Back