Barrichello_Barcelona_testing.jpg

Williams FW26

J_p_montoya_usgp_2004.jpg

Williams FW31

Nakajima_Germany_2009.jpg

BMW Sauber F1.08

1024px-Robert_Kubica_2008_Canada_2.jpg

1024px-Button_Rosberg_2009_British_GP.jpg

Likewise with the Jag and the Arrows, for me.

They have the right shape for me. I totally love the look of the 1995-2001 high nose, straight nose era and where the Jaguar* and Arrows score real points is colour. Along with the yellow Jordan, the green Jaguar and orange Arrows injected colour into the grid and made the visual appeal look so fresh and exciting. It's something which is severely lacking in modern F1 aesthetics.

From 2002 onwards, there was a trend where the noses started curving downwards again whilst also tapering inwards and it looks looks horrible. The BAR isn't the worst offender for it (Hello, McLaren. Many people have even nominated it) but its livery isn't nice either. The best looking BAR is the 2000 002 which had the ever so slight silver flush to it and was surprisingly close to looking like an old Honda racer with the white body and red Lucky Strike circles. It also had fewer black lines on it, which spoil the 2001 003 and 2002 004.

The 2009-spec snowploughs are not good lookers although the Brawn is not the worst offender for that, it's a hard sell to call the BGP 001 one of the best lookers from the 2000s. I do quite like the 2009 Williams though. I'm still mulling over my final nomination.

*Completely nerdy love: The Jaguar R1 has a green Beck's barge board which looks brilliant. Other Jaguars had white barge boards which didn't look anywhere near as good.

BMW F1.08 - Yeah I know a lot of people may not like the 2008 cars, but to me, they were what an F1 car should be. They should look like spaceships and this car did it so well.

It's obviously your opinion and I'm not going to say you're wrong but I'm curious what makes you believe that? F1 cars have taken many forms since 1950 from the early rocket shapes, sausage shapes and arrow shapes but they had never been particularly spaceship like, they have always been smooth forms up into that aero appendage era.

It's obviously your opinion and I'm not going to say you're wrong but I'm curious what makes you believe that? F1 cars have taken many forms since 1950 from the early rocket shapes, sausage shapes and arrow shapes but they had never been particularly spaceship like, they have always been smooth forms up into that aero appendage era.
I dunno. I was 8 when those cars came out and the looks just stuck with me. I saw these spaceship-like cars flying around racetracks and I just thought it felt right. It's partly nostalgia and partly the fact that it was my first exposure to F1 so it's all I really know

I dunno. I was 8 when those cars came out and the looks just stuck with me. I saw these spaceship-like cars flying around racetracks and I just thought it felt right. It's partly nostalgia and partly the fact that it was my first exposure to F1 so it's all I really know

Fair enough, I guess if those years were your first experience of F1 it would seem awesome.

2006 Ferrari 248 F1
image.png

2006 Honda RA106
image.jpeg

2006 Renault R26
image.jpeg

2009 Williams FW31 Toyota
image.jpeg

I think it's very obvious what my favourite F1 season ever is here :P

@Furinkazen The 2009 Ferrari was called the F60 not F2009 👍

I'm one of those weirdos whole loved the 2008 cars - the post-1998 grooved tyre era gave us some beautifully chunky cars, which the turning vanes, wheel covers and winglets really suited. Since it's the era of F1 I grew up in, there are some cars that stand out:

Jordan EJ10 - Both the EJ10 and AJ11 are equally worthy, the straight lines and trimmed edges are stunning. The EJ10 has a nicer shade of yellow that just edges it.

autowp.ru_jordan_ej10_2.jpg

Prost AP03 - Again, a lovely front end. Well proportioned, and I love the 'swept back' look of the upper wing elements. Great simplistic livery too.

autowp.ru_prost_ap03_5.jpg

Force India VJM 001 - I was torn between this and the Spyker, but I think it's the nicest overall shape/livery combination of the 2008 cars. Distinctive and not too visually convoluted.

forc-suti-sing-2008.jpg

Brawn GP 001. Back in 2009 I started watching F1 again after losing interest since the early 2000s when Hakkinen retired. Always thought this was a real cool looking car, one of my favourites and for sure my favourite of that decade.

brawn-gp-bgp-001-05.jpg

Ferrari F2002, I like most of the Ferraris of these era but this one springs to mind as I've driven it more recently in games, most recently in Assetto Corsa. Beautiful car.

ferrari-f2002-01.jpg

Jordan EJ11 - Always liked the livery, though to be fair I preferred the late 90s cars.

0112trulliej11honbra01.jpg

BMW Sauber F1.07 - A few too many wings but it looks great from some angles.

BMW-Sauber-F107-CS_manu-07_07-1280.jpg

Vettel-02-2008-09-14.jpg

A aerodynamicist dream. I really liked the Toro Rosso from 2008 but it's even better in low downforce spec.
williams-williams-fw29-toyota-nakajima-13032.jpg

2007 Williams has a beautiful nose and great overall look.
saubers-polish-driver-robert-kubica-drives-at-the-monza-racetrack-on-picture-id82786978

I have a thing for Monza spec cars but the BMW Sauber from 2008 looks really good with it's front wing and many winglets.

Seeing some of these cars again is great, not going to add any as mine have been mentioned but, for me the 2008 cars like someone said earlier are what F1 should be. The big change from that to 2009 was horrible in my opinion. F1 should be where they look wild and GP2/3 should be the more basic clean looking cars.

The cars of the 10's for the most part haven't been great looking because regulations curtailed the aero styles and the recession meant there were less title sponsors so the liveries became a mess. F1 cars do look like bigger GP2 cars these days which is a shame.

On a side note I wish they would bring spinners back, I thought they looked awesome.

Really? I think GP2 cars have a far nicer shape than F1 cars. GP2 has managed to stay reasonably close to 2009-ish looks which aren't as bad as a 2016 F1 car looks.

Really? I think GP2 cars have a far nicer shape than F1 cars. GP2 has managed to stay reasonably close to 2009-ish looks which aren't as bad as a 2016 F1 car looks.

I dunno they look pretty similar IMO apart from less aero on the wing ...

gasly-2.jpg

I absolutely loved the horns on the McLaren and BMW Sauber. The Sauber has a few too many extra bits. However, the McLaren looks just downright :drool:. Therefore...
McLaren MP4-20
mclaren-mp4-20-03.jpg

Arrows A22 - I love the color scheme and simple, smooth lines.
arrows_A22_manu-01_05.jpg

Jaguar R1 - After seeing this posted by many here, I have to agree it looks quite sexy. Great livery, both color and scheme.
jaguar-6.jpg

Ferrari F2002 - I had a tough choice between the early to mid 2000's Ferraris, but I had to nominate one of them because they are all gorgeous.
2002-Ferrari-F2002-F1-Image-04.jpg

Seeing some of these cars again is great, not going to add any as mine have been mentioned but, for me the 2008 cars like someone said earlier are what F1 should be. The big change from that to 2009 was horrible in my opinion. F1 should be where they look wild and GP2/3 should be the more basic clean looking cars.

I dunno, I think that couple of years where cars started to look like somebody had thrown an ikea store at them were the worst looking and 2009 stopped that and reverted them back to nice looking cars, for me at least 2009 has some great looking cars, the Brawn being the best looking car of that decade for me.

Good grief. What a terrible decade for good looking cars!

jenson-button-brawn-gp1.jpg

Brawn GP1 is the only one I like.

Somewhere around 2005, the aero diseases spread and made the grid ugly. Some of the 2009 cars looked decent with full-width front wings, but for about 4-5 years, the fashioning of a low-slung rear wing coupled with barge boards mounted at almost the same height, along with the ungainly engine-cover sail panel, and other vanes sprouting from all over the bodywork...they just look like some awkward teenage phase that we all want to forget.

My 3rd Nomination, the Redbull RB4. Not a the biggest fan of the 2008 cars with crazy wings but I feel the RB4 was the one most in sync with it's livery and worked better then any other car looks wise that year:
red-bull-rb4-03.jpg

The 2001 Minardi PS01. I've always liked the nose of the car being below the tops of the wheel. May not have gotten any real results, and it's engine was best related to a coffee grinder, but to me it is one of the best looking cars to ever field in a Formula 1 season.

F1-Fansite.com%2B2001%2BHD%2Bwallpaper%2BF1%2BGP%2BEurope_06.jpg

For those of you who hated 2008 cars, you're gonna hate this, but this is a drawing that I found of the F2008 Ferrari that made me fall in love with it even more. Hope some of you guys might appreciate it :D

upload_2016-7-10_22-9-2.png

Back