Non-linear throttle

Canada
Montreal
This is probably a double-post but I searched and simply can't find the original.

As this video clearly shows, the accelerator pedal is not linear:

For me, this makes particularly difficult in long high-speed corners and ovals where precise control of the accelerator is required.
It also occurs to me that this non-linear behaviour might have saved me from modding my G29 brake pedal (changed hard rubber stopper with softer one) if this non-linear behaviour were on the brakes instead of the throttle. Could it be an implementation bug where this should be on the brakes instead?

Yep, this is currently the biggest issue with GT Sport's playability right now. I'm loving the game, but this exponential throttle map is extremely frustrating. I'm not sure why it was done, maybe because PD thought that precise throttle control is more important at low values? But that is not the case at all. Precise throttle control is important at ALL ranges.

Controlling throttle is easy enough from 0-50% even if it does mean I have to press the pedal further than I think I should. But 50-80% throttle is super touchy and difficult to get right. And trying to modulate throttle between 80-100% is practically impossible. And it's these high throttle ranges that are critical in getting good exit speeds out of corners, especially in FF cars which will understeer like crazy with too much throttle.

It's worth noting that GT5, GT6, and the Closed Beta for GT Sport this past spring/summer all had linear throttle maps. This exponential map only appeared in the pre-release demo and the full release.

As a side note, trail braking has also been difficult since my brake pedal has a significant deadzone. But I'm not sure if this is a software deadzone in GT Sport or the PS4, or simply a hardware deadzone. I'm curious if this is a consistent issue with others.

I'm using a Logitech G29.

I'm using the thrustmaster t3pa pedals and I'm at full throttle at around 70%. Does anyone else have this issue?

The issue itself aside for a moment, I have to say, well done on creating a thread that's clear and concise and includes easy to understand descriptive video:tup:👍

Has it been confirmed whether or not other types of pedals fall prey to this obvious shortcoming in PD's pedal algorithm? I can't see it being accidental as you'd have to design code to get around a pedal's inherent linear response. Perhaps it's their way of attempting to equalize wheels and controllers on the track. Has anyone experimented with DS4 triggers and sticks to see if the problem is universal?

No fix coming, it has been like this several years already.
Maybe we're talking about different things because I just checked it again and GT6 appears to be perfectly linear, at least that is what the HUD's throttle indicator implies.

Most of the cars I've driven have a non linear throttle. I know some cars do have a linear throttle, the ones I have driven that do have one, is because it's been mapped to have a linear throttle so it gives the impression of being faster at a given throttle position. I have also known some re-mappers to just map the throttle so people think it's been mapped to +50bhp.

This would explain why I've struggled when not using traction control

I never used traction control on any Sim I've ever raced, but from the very beginning I've had issues with it in GT Sport. The nonlinear throttle would explain the the car breaking loose so violently when trying to get on Full Throttle

Maybe still speaking same.
I can't really follow everything being discussed in that thread (don't have time to read it all) but it sounds like you guys were more concerned with how the game was simulating clutches in various situations? This issue is much shallower than that and shouldn't have anything to do with the clutch.

I apologise if I'm not understanding it properly though.

Most of the cars I've driven have a non linear throttle.
That may be but the non-linear readout of the pedal position indicator combined with the fact that many experienced sim racers are having a more difficult time than usual modulating top end throttle make me think there is still something wrong with how Sport is doing things.

I can't really follow everything being discussed in that thread (don't have time to read it all) but it sounds like you guys were more concerned with how the game was simulating clutches in various situations? This issue is much shallower than that and shouldn't have anything to do with the clutch.

I apologise if I'm not under

Main discussion was on clutches, but whole point was also how it changes linearity of throttle response.

Main discussion was on clutches, but whole point was also how it changes linearity of throttle response.
Yeah, that's a lot deeper than this issue and maybe touches on what MilkieKula mentioned above. The game may be adjusting the curve per car after the input has been read (which might in fact be the correct simulation). But if the raw input values are also getting adjusted now, that's a double whammy.

Does the brake pedal behave the same on GT Sport, or is it linear?
In the beta there was a little bit of travel to it. On the DS4 you could modulate braking by the input (how hard you pressed). I can't say it was accurate or it was as linear as it should be, but it was there. I don't think it's the same in the final game, not sure why!

Most of the cars I've driven have a non linear throttle. I know some cars do have a linear throttle, the ones I have driven that do have one, is because it's been mapped to have a linear throttle so it gives the impression of being faster at a given throttle position. I have also known some re-mappers to just map the throttle so people think it's been mapped to +50bhp.
Are you talking about in real life, or in the game?

Yeah it's an issue indeed. Snap oversteer at high rpm's is usually the consequence. Most DS4 users should have switched to triggers for throttle and brakes by now, buttons being digital with the new controller. TC is also broken IMHO so no way around the issue right now.

I'm using the thrustmaster t3pa pedals and I'm at full throttle at around 70%. Does anyone else have this issue?

Yes, I have that problem . t3pa and T150. Suspecting of calibration issues, I read the instructions Thrustmaster has in the manual for pedal calibration, did that and 100% ok; within 2/3 minutes of playing the problem comes back. So I noticed that the RJ-something that plugs the pedal to the base was loose, not making the "clip" when attached. Probably dancing in the hole and decalibrating without notice. I presented the problem in the shop were I bought it and the wheel is now being serviced. I will let you know when I have news.

Since I'm rather clumsy with the controller I had to stop the daily races :(, but with 8 or 9 days playing with it I actually managed to get some golds in the driving school :) The man and his habits ...

So I was screwing around with my G29 after reading the G29/GTS thread where people are saying you can change wheel settings in the Logitech Gaming Software program while your wheel is connected to your PC and that those settings (wheel lock, sensitivity) save to the wheel somehow and carry over into GTS. Well, after fiddling with that for an hour I am fairly certain that isn't true at all because nothing is different.

That aside, at one point after going from PC back to GTS to test, the wheel was working but there was no force feedback and the rev lights weren't coming on. Also, my throttle and brake pedals were completely linear! Normally my brake meter is at 100% when I hit the rubber stopper. In this case, it was only around 50% and I had to keep pressing to get to 100%. Slowly pressing the throttle raised the meter smooth as butter.

To test further, I had a hell of a time at Interlagos in my Gr.4 Mustang yesterday, particularly through all the hairpins. I took it for a spin and while having no FFB sucked I couldn't believe what an improvement the throttle response was. I had to have TCS on 2 yesterday to be comfortable and I now was able to get around fine on 0.

I need to have FFB so I reconnected the wheel a few times to try to set it back to normal with no luck. I eventually had to just restart the game and now everything is "fixed". I am guessing it couldn't recognize it specifically as a G29 for some reason and the pedal settings must be set at a device specific level. Now I am wondering if there is some way into forcing the pedals back into that state while keeping the FFB working normally lol.

This is my biggest annoyance with the game. Using a controller, the brake trigger is linear and good, but the accelerator is not for some reason, makes it super difficult to modulate the throttle off the starting line and getting optimum exit out of corners/managing wheelspin.

Like others are saying, there’s a lot of R2 trigger movement between 0-50% in-game throttle but hardly any R2 trigger movement between 50-100% in-game throttle

Aside from this, I'm really enjoying the handling!

Yeah, the first half of the throttle is completely fine on my wheel. No issues at all. However, the second half seems to increase in huge steps and it's very annoying. Here is a video showing what it's like:

I am using a Logitech DFGT with a GIMX adapter. I have tried 2 different sets of pedals and both have behaved the same. From my personal experience, I do not have this problem on any other game. On a DS4, this seems to be less of an issue though the non-linear approach makes throttle application near impossible. :lol:

I do not know if my throttle behaving like this is linked to the non-linearity or if it's an issue that only I have. I have made a thread explaining this recently though this seems like an appropriate place to share my pedal experiences.

Back