Noob question... tuning cars?

Canada
Canada
Total noob to the world of sim racing, and I have a few questions about finding cars and tuning them for specific races.

So, for example, the Clubman Cup in the Amateur League has a 542 hp max power limit. How do I know which car is best? Is it generally better to max out the power of a lower tier car, or drop the power of a higher tier car?

Is lower weight always better? It looks like it affects stability but is this a noticeable difference?

I also never touch any settings other than the power ratio and weight reduction. Like, I have no idea what tweaking the suspension will do.

Anyways, I'm sure tuning cars is a pretty in-depth topic... I'm just not sure how to know which car to select for a race with a power limit.

Thanks!

Total noob to the world of sim racing, and I have a few questions about finding cars and tuning them for specific races.

So, for example, the Clubman Cup in the Amateur League has a 542 hp max power limit. How do I know which car is best? Is it generally better to max out the power of a lower tier car, or drop the power of a higher tier car?

Is lower weight always better? It looks like it affects stability but is this a noticeable difference?

I also never touch any settings other than the power ratio and weight reduction. Like, I have no idea what tweaking the suspension will do.

Anyways, I'm sure tuning cars is a pretty in-depth topic... I'm just not sure how to know which car to select for a race with a power limit.

Thanks!

I can't really get into the details of tuning because I just don't do it, although there is a whole subset of players that are all about it. Personally, I'm like you, I just tweak the quick tune HP and weight reduction. I'm sure there's an affect to stability with weight reduction but I haven't really noticed it too much, I'll generally just reduce the weight down as low as I can.

As far as which car is best, it really comes down to what is most comfortable for you to drive. With N-class cars that can be an overwhelming suggestion, I know but it really is true. The only way to know what you like is to try out a few. But very generally speaking, FF cars will be stable but understeery. FR cars will often have more grunt but are more prone to oversteer, if not just spinning out. MR cars can be quite twitchy and temperamental. RR cars are very loose in the rear end. There are some cars that are considered to be META for their class but I'm blanking on just about everything right now. Xbow maybe? Mazda Roadster?

As far as GT League goes, beside the listed max power you'll also see a N-class for the series. If you choose a lower class car (or tune the HP down to become a lower class car) you'll receive a XP and credit bonus at the end of the race. So, unless you need the extra HP to win the race, you're actually better off tuning the car down rather than up. But either way, like I said before, I almost always drop the weight reduction down all the way myself.

Last edited:
I can't really get into the details of tuning because I just don't do it, although there is a whole subset of players that are all about it. Personally, I'm like you, I just tweak the quick tune HP and weight reduction. I'm sure there's an affect to stability with weight reduction but I haven't really noticed it too much, I'll generally just reduce the weight down as low as I can.

As far as which car is best, it really comes down to what is most comfortable for you to drive. With N-class cars that can be an overwhelming suggestion, I know but it really is true. The only way to know what you like is to try out a few. But very generally speaking, FF cars will be stable but understeery. FR cars will often have more grunt but are more prone to oversteer, if not just spinning out. MR cars can be quite twitchy and temperamental. RR cars are very loose in the rear end. There are some cars that are considered to be META for their class but I'm blanking on just about everything right now. Xbow maybe? Mazda Roadster?

As far as GT League goes, beside the listed max power you'll also see a N-class for the series. If you choose a lower class car (or tune the HP down to become a lower class car) you'll receive a XP and credit bonus at the end of the race. So, unless you need the extra HP to win the race, you're actually better off tuning the car down rather than up. But either way, like I said before, I almost always drop the weight reduction down all the way myself.

This is awesome, thank you. I do realize that tweaking the tune-up of a car is a pretty in depth and complicated process, so your advice is great. I think I just need to spend more time with the cars that I have and see which ones I like. I have noticed some seem to spin out super easy... had never even thought about drivetrain and what that would do.

Back