Not sure if drifting is hard.

United States
Maryland
yakuzadeath
I want to start this by saying I'm not trying to humble-brag here, but I'm really confused about this sometimes.

So I'm not really much of a drifter, but I often see people online talking about how they're having difficulty drifting, but for me it feels like it's really simple, and not very hard to control. I'm not sure if it's because I'm drifting wrong and they're trying something that's harder than what I do, or if it's because I'm using a controller. I just sort of slide around the corner at an angle. Thats what drifting has always been to me, and it feels simple enough. Can anybody here with more experience, or has experienced frustration and overcome it chime in?

I see it alot as well and have never understood what was so hard. That being said... Drifting is my life. It took me all of 5 minutes to learn to drift on GT6 (My first GT.) But I have a feeling it's just the experience I have making me this good. Something I should probably add... I drift great on the DS3 but can RARELY drift a corner on my G27. Ive had it since Christmas and have practiced ALOT but still can't drift on it. Maybe I'm experiencing the same thing the other people you're talking about are. I just still don't know what that is yet.

I want to start this by saying I'm not trying to humble-brag here, but I'm really confused about this sometimes.

So I'm not really much of a drifter, but I often see people online talking about how they're having difficulty drifting, but for me it feels like it's really simple, and not very hard to control. I'm not sure if it's because I'm drifting wrong and they're trying something that's harder than what I do, or if it's because I'm using a controller. I just sort of slide around the corner at an angle. Thats what drifting has always been to me, and it feels simple enough. Can anybody here with more experience, or has experienced frustration and overcome it chime in?
It could be dependent on the tires, the car, and their tune. Some people's tones can be just flat out wrong for them personally. But drifting might be easier or harder for some people who use a certain set of tires too.

I've practiced alot and not used the DS3 for drifting since i bought GT6 and now I'm alot better with a wheel, if you use the controller its so easy but with a wheel takes skill and practice
Being smooth on a wheel takes practice. Being as smooth as a wheel, on a DS3. It takes forever because of how fast you can correct on the DS3

It's because you're using a controller, they're ridiculously easy compared to the wheel.

95% of people struggling with drifting are usually beginner wheel users.

Could be a few things:

-DS3 is much easier than a 900' wheel. The learning curve for drifting with a wheel is quite steep. It's even harder to learn to drift with a wheel when you are learning what drifting in general is, as opposed to someone with experience on a DS3...or even someone who has watched a lot of real life drifting will understand the terms and various situation more than a complete newby.

-are you on CH tires? Grip level set to real? No aids except ABS? Using a RWD car?

-lastly, if you feel you can control a drift throgh an entire corner, that's great. But honestly, that's just the very beginning. The goal is to be able to place the car exactly where you want (within inches), when you want it there, at the speed you want to be at. And then of course there's tandem, which is a whole new set of challenges :)

Could be a few things:

-DS3 is much easier than a 900' wheel. The learning curve for drifting with a wheel is quite steep. It's even harder to learn to drift with a wheel when you are learning what drifting in general is, as opposed to someone with experience on a DS3...or even someone who has watched a lot of real life drifting will understand the terms and various situation more than a complete newby.

-are you on CH tires? Grip level set to real? No aids except ABS? Using a RWD car?

-lastly, if you feel you can control a drift throgh an entire corner, that's great. But honestly, that's just the very beginning. The goal is to be able to place the car exactly where you want (within inches), when you want it there, at the speed you want to be at. And then of course there's tandem, which is a whole new set of challenges :)

Exactly what i meant to write. (Not clear what the original poster level/skill is)
Drifting isn't just powersliding trough corners. Line, Angle, Clip points, style, speed....on a Tsuiso, isn't exactly something you can learn from a day to another. Either on wheel (harder) or Ds3.

Could be a few things:

1. Yeah DS3. I think that's the main reason why it seems so easy.
2. Not usually. They feel really slow and boring so i use SH or sometimes SS if the car has thin tires. SRF off. No aids. RWD usually unless the car I want to use is AWD.
3. I think this is also it. I don't really pay much attention to that stuff. The car is usually around where I want to be and usually at the speed I want, and it's good enough for me. I guess other people go for perfection but I'm not patient enough for that.

Exactly what i meant to write. (Not clear what the original poster level/skill is)
Drifting isn't just powersliding trough corners. Line, Angle, Clip points, style, speed....on a Tsuiso, isn't exactly something you can learn from a day to another. Either on wheel (harder) or Ds3.

I think my skill level is average or above average. I really just doodle around in this game but I've doodled around so much that I've picked up a few skills. For line I just do whatever, unless others are drifting, then I'll do what they're doing. I think my angle is probably shallow, like 30 degrees. I don't know what clip point are, or style. I do like going very fast though.

It could be dependent on the tires, the car, and their tune. Some people's tones can be just flat out wrong for them personally. But drifting might be easier or harder for some people who use a certain set of tires too.

Being smooth on a wheel takes practice. Being as smooth as a wheel, on a DS3. It takes forever because of how fast you can correct on the DS3

I don't get drift tunes either. For me most cars are driftable out of the box, although they usually need comfort hards if they're slow. Are drift tunes supposed to be for getting more angle? Because then it would make more sense.

I don't get drift tunes either. For me most cars are driftable out of the box, although they usually need comfort hards if they're slow. Are drift tunes supposed to be for getting more angle? Because then it would make more sense.
Nope. Drift tunes are exactly like racing or track tunes. They're all Dependant on how the driver wants the car to feel (More under steer, oversteer, grip, stiffness, etc.)

To kinda echo what @Hobson said, no @Chubbymudkip, in DT mode you've already got more steering lock than you do in normal mode so angle just comes with driver style. Please read;

A tune is how you want your car to react in different situations, it's how slow/quick you want it to transition, it's how stable you want it to be when exiting corners or entering corners at high speed. It's how much body roll you want, how much lateral grip you want, etc. etc.

All the settings can be manipulated to create a car that suits YOU.

While yes, a lot of cars CAN be drifted "out-of-the-box", knowing how to tune for your style will help you to stabilise, refine and perfect your car to your particular style.

I tune my track cars with the knowledge I've learnt from tuning drift cars, but obviously track cars have to react in different ways especially when you're venturing away from the RWD cars.

Track cars are generally more oversteer biased than my drift cars; Due to their grippier tires (CS/SH) they need more of a "shove" into corners so that understeer doesn't show up to the party.

Hope I helped in some way, you should go read this -> Drift Tuning Guide | Brought to you by teamJDMT

Last edited:
I think my skill level is average or above average. I really just doodle around in this game but I've doodled around so much that I've picked up a few skills. For line I just do whatever, unless others are drifting, then I'll do what they're doing. I think my angle is probably shallow, like 30 degrees. I don't know what clip point are, or style. I do like going very fast though.

Clipping points are reference points, used to help define a drift line through a given section. The idea is to get the car as close to the CP as possible.

There are both inside clips (basically apexes, the goal to get the nose as close as possible) and outside clips (usually a turn-in point, or an exit point, the goal to get the rear of the car as close as possible). Rear clipping zones are often defined by walls.

There is no "wrong way" to drift through a corner or section, but there is often a "most dramatic" or "most agressive" way. This "agressive line" is usually defined by CPs. Even outside of competition, most good drifters are able to spot natural CPs through any section of road or track...just like a good racer can spot the racing line.

In competitions, CPs are used as judging criteria. They are also used to precisely control the line the lead driver takes during a tandem battle. Sometimes this is necessary to prevent lead drivers from taking a line that would basically shut the door on the chase driver.

Style is, well...style. In drifting, style is how you pull everything together.
-was your initiation crisp & aggressive, or did you message the car into drift?
-are you as close to obstacles as possible (clipping points), or are you playing is safe?
-how much angle did you have when you passed the CP?
-are you committed to your line, or did you need to make corrections?
-are both your drift angle and steering lock angle smooth and consistent, or are you making corrections? (This ties in with being committed to your line)
-are you standing on full throttle as much as possible (making max smoke), or are you feathering at half throttle (minimal smoke)
-was your exit a clean full throttle burn, or were you doing a tank slapper the whole way down the straight?

And of course, the higher the speed at which you can do all of that, the better.

Buy a use G27 off craiglist, they go for cheap, got mine for 140$. Try to drift with the wheel and you will understand that is a whole new game...

Why buy a wheel that's not supported on next-gen at this stage in the PS3's life?

People will just end up with 2 wheels and less money in their pocket.

I don't know, maybe it's not much money for some.

Why buy a wheel that's not supported on next-gen at this stage in the PS3's life?

People will just end up with 2 wheels and less money in their pocket.

I don't know, maybe it's not much money for some.

still good for pc gaming

edit: I understand the money point. I just mean you can maybe or luckily find one for cheap as they no longer goes 300 a set.

Last edited:
I've practiced alot and not used the DS3 for drifting since i bought GT6 and now I'm alot better with a wheel, if you use the controller its so easy but with a wheel takes skill and practice

That's weird I can't play any racing games with a controller let alone drift in any . I've always needed a wheel to play racing games .since gt4 .

For me, I don't know but it's quite a lot harder to maintain a drift with GT6's current physics because, for some reason, the cars are much, much, much more overs-steery. They're a lot more frantic when they start to slide (bear in mind I'm using C:H tires). This wasn't the case back in launch, as the physics are much better (for me, at least); you can definitely feel the tires fighting for grip and wanting to get the car to straighten up again. But here, I can't even feel the tires giving much of a fight. I have tuned my drift cars to maximum understeer just to make them more controllable, but still no cigar.

I'm a DS3 drifter and I've tried a few times to drift with a wheel. 🤬🤬🤬 Its a whole new experience. :banghead::banghead: Its so hard that I gave up because I got so frustrated. With DS3 Is so easy but with a wheel.

I'm a DS3 drifter and I've tried a few times to drift with a wheel. 🤬🤬🤬 Its a whole new experience. :banghead::banghead: Its so hard that I gave up because I got so frustrated. With DS3 Is so easy but with a wheel.
How long have you been trying? How many cars have you tried? What techniques have you tried?

Back