Nurburgring Nordschleife, in which game it is more realistic?

Poland
Mikolow
lukasz_mikolow
Hello.

I wonder in which game can we find the most accurately modelled copy of Nurburgring Nordschleife? In GT5, FM4 or mayby in other games?

I'm not talking about its surroundings (buildings, trees, landscape), only about the track layout, elevation changes, turns (their sharpness and slope), the width of the track, bumps and etc.

I have also got FM4 and I noticed that in that game I can take some turns faster than in GT5 (while driving the same car) and some turns have different characteristics in FM4 and in GT5.

And please discuss factually without fanboying.

I though GT5 had the Nordschleife accurate within a couple of centimeters.
(I've been driving it on Shift 2 as well; no significant differences track-wise)

I have to be honest, the Forza version is terrible.

GT5 has a great version as does the one in development for Project Cars. Am honestly not sure about the others.

Forza version is pretty well known to be very inaccurate. The GT5 one feels very good as do some others on PC sims, they all seem pretty much the same which suggests they're all pretty good. Forza (and when the same model was in PGR) is the only one that stands out as being very different to me.

Hello.

I wonder in which game can we find the most accurately modelled copy of Nurburgring Nordschleife? In GT5, FM4 or mayby in other games?

I'm not talking about its surroundings (buildings, trees, landscape), only about the track layout, elevation changes, turns (their sharpness and slope), the width of the track, bumps and etc.

I have also got FM4 and I noticed that in that game I can take some turns faster than in GT5 (while driving the same car) and some turns have different characteristics in FM4 and in GT5.

Until someone laser scan the real track GT5 takes the edge, it's a very close representation.

Forza's Nurburgring is still using an old track recycled from an arcade game, so is not a serious representation.

GT5's Nurburg gets my nod over FM4. Turn 10 admitidly made their version wider to make for better racing in the game.

GT5's Nurburg gets my nod over FM4. Turn 10 admitidly made their version wider to make for better racing in the game.

I believe T10 didn't even make it, they were "given" it by Microsoft from the PGR assets. Hopefully for the next game they go back to the drawing board and build their own because that one is just way off.

GT5 definitely takes the edge, Forza is too wide. Plus for the Nordschleife they put the starting line halfway down that last straight, instead of where it's supposed to be at the intersection between Nord and the GP circuit.

GT and Enthusia are two of the closest, however none of them are accurate enough...

Yes, this.

Enthusia probably has the best model overall when everything is taken inyo concern. Enthusia, GT and latest model from SMS (not Shift one), those are the best.

GT5 definitely takes the edge, Forza is too wide. Plus for the Nordschleife they put the starting line halfway down that last straight, instead of where it's supposed to be at the intersection between Nord and the GP circuit.

Baffles me that they never changed that, it always causes problems with a big pack of cars steaming into the last/first section.

I believe T10 didn't even make it, they were "given" it by Microsoft from the PGR assets. Hopefully for the next game they go back to the drawing board and build their own because that one is just way off.

Regardless, if you are going to put a real life track in the game, it should be at least close to what it is in real life and not altered for the game.

GT5 and GT4.

I like that PD added the uneven-ness of the road..it adds the challenge of keeping the car steady :D

FM3 and 4..
The track is flat..no challenge. The track is too wide and that takes away from sense of speed..and it is too long so you'll never get realistic times. (Zonda R laps the track wayy faster than 7:30, etc.) So when I do play it I avoid the 'ring at all times. :\

I always thought T10 put it there at the Döttinger Höhe straight because that is where you enter the Nordschleife on open days.

Now since SimonK pointed it out I figure I had ever only used the track for freeruns, never even bothered to race there, true SimonK I imagine the situations going on at a close online race when reaching Döttinger Höhe, its nothing I am keen on to experience.

FM4's Nordschleife is, among some other tracks, a huge dissapointment a I hope they will do it from scratch for the next title.

GT's versions where always pretty close, but I hope they make an ever closer one for GT6, they should work on the Karussel and the last chicane at Nürb GP layout.

And mybe a seasons mode on the next... I love it how the tree's lose their leafs and how the track gets even more difficult and dangerous because of these leafs, in combination with the remaining paintings... On the last days where the Nordschleife is open for puplic it literally turns into a "brown hell" sometimes.

edit: and since the Nürburgring GmbH (Inc.) has gone bankrupt it is questionable if we will ever see another 24h race... so developers better model it the best you can!!! :(

Last edited:
That's Rfactor pro which isn't available to the public.

The version of the nordschleife which is on Rfactor is not laser scanned

The one in GT5 and on GTR Evolution. Haven't tried Enthusia or pCARS to be honest. I haven't tried Forza's either but I've heard everywhere that it's terrible.

FM4's is a joke.. Actually funny story about FM4 regarding the Ring, about a month or so ago on Jalopnik, I seen a story about one of the fastest Forza drivers in the world's trip to the Ring. He almost died. Literally put himself into critical condition.

Hello.

Gt5 by far.if you seen videos of people driving around the nurburgring,you know what I'm talking about.the track is fast,narrow,got a lot of sharp turns,and the line that you stop the clock at in real life,is around the last corner.kazunori drove around the nurburgring in a sls.so,he know what the car feel like to drive and what the nurburging look like.thats how the nurburgring in gt5 look so good.you can even change the weather in gt5 too.

Last edited:
JamboGT
I have to be honest, the Forza version is terrible.

Not as much as people pretend. It could be dramatically more accurate with just five seconds of work from Turn 10. All they need to do is take the entire model all at once and scale it down a bit. Presto; everything is now scaled right. That would fix the track width, radius of the turns, elevation changes, total track length, et cetera, all in one move.

FM4's is a joke.. Actually funny story about FM4 regarding the Ring, about a month or so ago on Jalopnik, I seen a story about one of the fastest Forza drivers in the world's trip to the Ring. He almost died. Literally put himself into critical condition.

" here comes a really wide turn i can take at 90 mph .. oh sh * crashes* "
Forzas is way to wide, and flat.. =P

I'm not sure funny is quite the right description there but i get your point.

Mind you anyone can crash a high speed car, even the pro's get it badly wrong sometimes.

Odd how you forgot to mention that the article in question.....

http://jalopnik.com/5951049/the-irrepressible-allure-of-the-nurburgring

.....also singles out GT5 as being just as much of an issue.

Ohh just as my linked to pieces earlier did.

This is the result of thinking that GT4 is a better way to learn the 'ring:

By playing GT4 on the PS2, and I do quote, "for thousands of laps", this guy believed he had learnt the 'Ring. Instead of going steady on a sighting lap, taking a look at everything, he entered the Foxhole at fullspeed... Imagine that. Having never driven the circuit before, having the confidence to enter a blind section of track at full speed on your first ever lap!

The same source on 'learning the 'ring' via GT5 (and one of the videos most often used to cite GT5's realism):

This video shows me nothing but a guy who's one step away from paying an &#8364;8000 insurance excess and buying at least &#8364;2500 of barriers at the same time. The only thing that saves his ass is the 'secret weapon'... yep, I met this chap and his kamikaze helmet at Rent4Ring. Read the video description and you'll see he drove our Swift Stage 2 the day before this video. Then he <cough> upgraded to the BMW 325i above*. I believe he admitted to being a tyre tester for a large manufacturer, certainly his car control is great.

But his track knowledge is dangerously poor. Check out the early entry at 7m20s... he catches the notorious crest and camber change just wrong and AT SPEED. Put 9/10 average tourist session drivers in that slide and the red lights would be on before you could say "Attention, attenion! Zee track ist now closed. Please return to your parking places!"

My point is its not the professional driver in him that's making him enter the corners too fast; it's the illusion that he has 'learnt' the track already!

Anyway, if he really had 'learnt' the track with the PS3 then he'd be going at least 30-seconds per lap faster. And he's not. Even with his 'skillz'. I rest my case.

*an upgrade which would be more understandable if he wasn't going slower in the 325i than we actually go in the little Swifts! ;)

http://bridgetogantry.com/2/index.php/home/amusingamazing/320-playstation-heroes
http://www.bridgetogantry.com/2/index.php/home/touristenfahrten/324-playstation-heroes-part-2

So while GT5's 'ring is 'more' accurate that FM's (of that no doubt exists) anyone who tells you that GT5's is good enough to learn the track well and/or avoid accidents is either an idiot and/or never been to the track and/or has little to no actual track driving experience.

Last edited:
link please!!
i thing i see it somewhere but i can't find it!

Back