Nurburgring Race Series - Week 11 - Honda Gathers Civic (w/ Results)

  • Thread starter Thread starter goixoye
  • 62 comments
  • 3,049 views
Messages
521
Nurburgring Race Series, Week 11​
For Voting Results See Post #2​
For Event Results See Post #3​

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST BEFORE VOTING, THERE’S A TWIST!
​
For those of you who don’t know Dave’s had some personal issues causing him to step aside from the NRS (hopefully only temporary). He’s indicated he may be able to drop in and compete. Hopefully things will work out for the good and we’ll see Dave again soon.

I’ve been in contact with Dave over the past week or so and intend to finish out the series as he intended (or pretty close with maybe a few touches of my own). He’s provided some HP and tire guideline for each week but didn’t specify the exact cars to be put on the voting block.

This week we begin working with the “race” cars in the “up to 200HP” category. The choices are a bit thin but there were enough cars in that classification that I’ve had some difficulty narrowing the field down to 5 for selection purposes.

The chosen car will be modded as close to 200HP as possible and if all the best parts aren’t part of the stock package they will be added (custom tranny, racing suspension, clutches, flywheels, etc.). Also we’ll be racing on R1 tires.

That said this week’s twist will be that there will be 4 slots on the ballot. The first 3 will be for the car selections. Your top 3 choices, in order of preference, just like always. The 4th slot is for NITROUS, simply vote yes or no. I thought that since this will actually be a step backward from HP levels in recent weeks that a little added boost may be appreciated. I thought we might enjoy a little strategy of when best to use it…save it for the long straight or judiciously apply it to improve acceleration out of the corners. I considered making it part of the mod package but then thought that some (or most?) may frown upon it. So let the masses decide. This is not without precedent from Dave as I remember somewhere along the line he indicated he had considered it as modification…to the Dodge Ram I believe?

On to the choices:


Honda S800 RSC.
Stop laughing. It’s a race car. Unfortunately max =159HP.
Availability: Professional Hall, World Compact Car Series


Honda Gathers Civic


Nissan mm-R Cup Car
Availability: Nissan Dealership, March Brothers


Volkswagen Lupo GTI Cup Car


Nissan Bluebird Rally Car
Nice spotlight. With all the lights on these rally cars PD should’ve given us an option to drive the “Ring” at night…wouldn’t that be a blast. I also love the way the mud flaps swing in the breeze.
Availability: Special Conditions, Hard, Whistler Ice Race

No discussion of car selections but feel free to address the issue of nitrous.

Send vote via PM to me. Voting deadline is Sunday, January 15, 2006, 9pm GMT (=4pm US EST)

DON”T FORGET TO VOTE YOUR OPINION ON THE USE OF NITROUS​
 
Voting Results:
5. 01pts - Nissan mm-R
4. 07pts - VW Lupo GTI Cup Car
3. 08pts - Nissan Bluebird Rally Car
2. 09pts - Honda S800 RSC Race Car
1. 11pts - Honda Gathers Civic

NOS was overwhelmingly rejected 5 to 1.

Mods = Oil Change >> 195HP. That's all we need this week as the target was 200HP and this gem already has the all the good stuff.

Sorry there's no picture...I guess you can't edit one in? Unfortunately there were only 6 voters (including me). I hope that its not an indication of lack of interest?

Race deadline is Monday, January 23, 2006, 9pm GMT. Submit times by PM to me. Standard OLR rules apply.
 

Attachments

  • IMG0009.JPG
    IMG0009.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 20
Event Results:

See thumbnails below:

DR WATSON takes the win. GEETEYE takes 2nd. And BBQ0801 scores 3rd in his maiden run in the series.

Congrats to all.

Sorry about the thumbnails but not sure how to stick the results in otherwise (because this is an edit of a previous post). I guess I could start a new thread for the results or just post it later in the thread? I like this as it's all in the same thread and right at the top.
 

Attachments

  • Week 11 Results.JPG
    Week 11 Results.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Week 11 Leaderboard.JPG
    Week 11 Leaderboard.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 34
I voted NO on nitrous and placed my car selection in order (which, in my opinion will also mimic what would be fastest to slowest, minus the one not included).

So what are my picks? :lol:
You know we can't talk about that! :sly:

However, I will say this much...
I am looking forward to seeing the results of this voting.

NO2 will be an over-riding factor for my entry and the car will be the lesser, but still very important, factor for my commitment to the race.

Good luck all and please feel free to use Extra Sensory Perception to mimic my voting order. 👍

Don't think, just feel the votes!
 
Kent
Good luck all and please feel free to use Extra Sensory Perception to mimic my voting order. 👍

Don't think, just feel the votes!

Vote cast !

It should be a fun week, looking forward to the voting results and resuming the series 👍.

Kent, tried using my ESP, then clearing my mind and trying to reach out and feel the votes, even had Obi Wan telling me to use the Force, so we shall see at the results if I was succesful or not in channelling your votes :sly: :) .
 
Thought I'd give this a bump as the voting results are noted in post #2.
 
Can anyone participate in this? I was waiting for the race cars to show up :D
 
icemanshooter23
Can anyone participate in this? I was waiting for the race cars to show up :D

Hi icemanshooter23

Yep the NRS is open to all 👍, so Gather up this weeks ride :sly: and join in by all means .


Steve
 
Assuming you can buy this car I’ll give it a go.
 
goixoye
Voting Results:
5. 01pts - Nissan mm-R
4. 07pts - VW Lupo GTI Cup Car
3. 08pts - Nissan Bluebird Rally Car
2. 09pts - Honda S800 RSC Race Car
1. 11pts - Honda Gathers Civic
haha, the mm-R got pwned!

Come on! Who voted for it?! :)

BTW, my rankings were Bluebird, S800, then Civic. I really wanted the S800, but I'm happy with the Civic.
 
maybe this should become an official GTP series??

The way the new site is setup, its kinda difficult to find and in a pretty abstract place imho..
 
Awesome!
I'm glad to see my number one pick was the winner. :dopey:

The Gathers Civic is exactly what I was hoping for and so, I think it is only fitting that I participate this week. :cheers:

Cant' wait to see the competition get rolling.
Till then,
-Kent
 
Just some initial splits to get things rolling.

T10: 7'33.128 Off the showroom floor
T10: 7'24.633 NO TCS/ASM (Dirty)
T10: 7'21.175 Just a little more practice (Clean)

I was about 2s ahead at Karussell but lost it. A little tentative...still feeling out the limits. Quite a difference from the Amuse. The braking points are so different. I guess the lower HP and extra grip from the R1s allow you not use the brakes at all in some corners (compared to the Amuse).

Next session I get to change the oil and get a little HP boost :trouble:.
 
awww.. really wanted the s800 personally.
anywho, i think this will officially be the first FF we've done, so its all good.

now, if only i can find enough time to fix my ps2 before the deadline.
(still not reading dual layer discs, hopefully re-focusing the laser will fix it)
 
Are there any regulations concerning the transmission? Is there a fixed auto setting we have to use, or can we change and fiddle with it all we want?
 
OnlyMe
Are there any regulations concerning the transmission? Is there a fixed auto setting we have to use, or can we change and fiddle with it all we want?

No regulations about tranny or any adjustable part (including LSD which we haven't had before in this series).
 
OOOOh a CIVIC.

I'd better go get some practice in.....

Well done Goixoye! im glad to see you holding the end up, and people arriving to take in the splits and try their luck.

Also, the arrival of icemanshooter means we will all be dropping down the leaderboard a place also.

Nice to see you:tup:

Rightio, off i go try this thing then.
:irked:👍
 
Well I wouldn't worry about that just yet VEXD (iceman and dropping positions).

He may jump up to the top of the results pretty quickly but this week I am going back to my original plan- Participate but not in the results and points scheme.

I only asked to be included in the results and points scheme last time because I was really pissed off about some things and in the past my efforts to be respectful of the points system were simply ignored and rewarded in a less than "friendly" manner.

And so, I didn't feel it was necessary to stay out of the results and points scheme.

Yeah it was a mean thing for me to do but trust me, I had my reasons. :p

So, in any case, you all will have one less racer to compete with this week in the results. 👍

That might be a good thing too since I won in NRS 10. :trouble: :lol:

Good luck all, I will be back once I have a few laps to post. :cheers:
 
Changed the oil. T10 = 7'13.255 (-7.920). 96.1 miles. Next time I might give MT a go.
 
I will do the same as Kent, it's a good idea to just run it but not be in the points. I can see how some of you who have worked to get good times each of the 11 weeks might get angry if the were pushed out of the points and I wouldn't want that to happen 👍
 
icemanshooter23
I will do the same as Kent, it's a good idea to just run it but not be in the points. I can see how some of you who have worked to get good times each of the 11 weeks might get angry if the were pushed out of the points and I wouldn't want that to happen 👍

In that case, why don't we both participate but instead of being included in the points, let's simply submit asking not to be in any kind of points schemes. 👍

I don't want to take away submissions for the results at this point simply because there might not be that many people submitting.

So, what do you say?
Ice, you up a little gentlemen's racing?

Goixoye,
You down with including me in the results but not the points?
(just add up points as if my time wasn't submitted?)

Thanks for considering my p.o.v. :bowdown:

Good luck to all this week, with iceman around you just might need it. ;)
 
Nah, I'm not so hot at nurb and I don't really know how to set up FF cars. Ceratainly should be some good racing though 👍
 
icemanshooter23
Nah, I'm not so hot at nurb and I don't really know how to set up FF cars. Ceratainly should be some good racing though 👍

All good, just having you along for the ride will make it a fun adventure. 👍

Until I manage to get a few laps in,
Later. :D

btw, I will post my setup for the race when I come back with times.
Not exactly sure when that will be (as I have to earn the money to buy the car).

But in any case, I'm looking forward to the race. :cheers:
 
goixoye
Changed the oil. T10 = 7'13.255 (-7.920). 96.1 miles. Next time I might give MT a go.



oooww very close split there goixoye :trouble::sly: T10 - 7.13.731 after 185km , lots of clean laps, started pushing a lot harder and the civic responded really well, so I'm sure there is a bit left there for me yet. Havnt adjusted too much suspension wise , gearing I lowered a notch and all seems pretty balanced at the moment. 👍
 
Kent
In that case, why don't we both participate but instead of being included in the points, let's simply submit asking not to be in any kind of points schemes. 👍

I don't want to take away submissions for the results at this point simply because there might not be that many people submitting.

So, what do you say?
Ice, you up a little gentlemen's racing?

Goixoye,
You down with including me in the results but not the points?
(just add up points as if my time wasn't submitted?)

Thanks for considering my p.o.v. :bowdown:

Good luck to all this week, with iceman around you just might need it. ;)
No problem. If I understand correctly when I post the results for this event you want to be included wherever your times fit in. For example if you and iceman finish 1 and 3 you'll be noted as such for the weekly results. BUT you do not want to be included in the overall series results so the #2 finisher for the week gets 1st place points and #4 finisher gets 2nd place points. Right?

Basically included in weekly results but NOT included in overall series results.

The folks in contention for the top spots in the series SHOULD be very appreciative that you're willing to step aside so that the top "regular" competitor still gets that 5 point "bonus" (point differential 1st to 2nd place) for top spot. Compared to the rest of the finishers getting a 1 point differential per position. Even if you finish deeper in the field you don't "hurt" somebody in the points who's trying to stay close to a personal rival.

Very considerate of you actually.
 
Well they are that way inclined you know Goixoye, these "seasoned" racers :sly:

Btw, very nice split!

I had ONE lap last nite, and i found the car stix to the turns very well for an FF.
T10: 7'13.531
I made a few changes to the car after that lap, and was pleased with the result, but i only ran a few key corners to test the tuning, and not a lap.

I changed the dampers to read 7/7 Bound, and 9/9 rebound.

And i put the rear camber up to 2.2 and the front down to 1.8, also, i made the front toe -1 and the rear 1.

This seemed to help.
Oh yeah, and i put the rear brake up to 4.
I will get to the gears (where the money is) when i next get chance to run.

Good luck to all, as Kent said, we will need it!
:irked:👍
 
icemanshooter23
I will do the same as Kent, it's a good idea to just run it but not be in the points. I can see how some of you who have worked to get good times each of the 11 weeks might get angry if the were pushed out of the points and I wouldn't want that to happen 👍

but doesn't that take the meaning out of the points?
IMO, if someone gets mad because they get pushed out of earning points, they should go faster.
 
goixoye
No problem. If I understand correctly when I post the results for this event you want to be included wherever your times fit in. For example if you and iceman finish 1 and 3 you'll be noted as such for the weekly results. BUT you do not want to be included in the overall series results so the #2 finisher for the week gets 1st place points and #4 finisher gets 2nd place points. Right?

Basically included in weekly results but NOT included in overall series results.

The folks in contention for the top spots in the series SHOULD be very appreciative that you're willing to step aside so that the top "regular" competitor still gets that 5 point "bonus" (point differential 1st to 2nd place) for top spot. Compared to the rest of the finishers getting a 1 point differential per position. Even if you finish deeper in the field you don't "hurt" somebody in the points who's trying to stay close to a personal rival.

Very considerate of you actually.

Well,
First off, thanks for the kind words. :bowdown:

Now, I think Iceman wants to be simply left out (I don't think he is going to submit, but instead he may post his time after all is said and done.
So I don't think you need to worry about catering to him.

For me, you got it just right.
When I turn in my time, I would like to see it posted in the results but not counted in the points scheme. 👍

Thanks for your attention to the matter.
I appreciate that greatly.

Until next time,
(which should be later today),
-Kent
 
Dr_Watson
but doesn't that take the meaning out of the points?
IMO, if someone gets mad because they get pushed out of earning points, they should go faster.
Help me out guys let's hear some other opinions. They're only doing this out of respect / courtesy for the "regulars". So far I've got 1 NO...do not adjust the points.

iceman, Kent. If it turns out that the "group" doesn't want the points I could still not show you on the overall leaderboard and, from the example above, #2 gets 2nd place points, #4 gets 4th place votes. Let me know if you'll want to be included on the leaderboard or just in this week's results.

I was thinking about adding a column to the leaderboard for average points. Basically total points divided by # of races participated in. Just another "statistic" I suppose but that would be a fair way of evaluating things especially for Kent, iceman, Dave and others who haven't competed for the entire season. Koly and I have developed a bit of a rivalry and right now I'm ahead in points but if you look at "average finish" or whatever we call it she's ahead...It's a fairer why of looking at things. What do you think? Should I add this column to the leaderboard?
 
Well...

I've just completed my first and only lap (so far).
Unfortunately, I don't have much time for racing this combo right now so a real attempt at setting up the car and running a clean lap will have to wait until tonight.

On the bright side though, I was able to set an initial lap time (T10: 7'13), and get an idea of what I need to do with the car's settings.

On the back straight my transmission was about 1,500 rpm too long (meaning it was running about 7,000rpm at the crest of the hill).
After lifting the final drive ratio a bit, I hope to see 145mph (although I don't know about that).

The settings felt good and suprisingly the rear end didn't swing out during braking.

My only concern is setting up the suspension to create more turn-in while letting off the throttle (that and getting good throttle turn-in).

It's odd though, I was hoping this car would deliver power more like my recently reviewed (EK) '98 Type R Civic. Sadly, it doesn't have the torque since my street car has the port & polish, engine balancing, and displacement up modifications.
That sucker hauls. :trouble:

But this car is great too so count on me atleast running with the gang this week. :D

Until later today,
-Kent
 
Back