Nurburgring Race Series - Week 11 - Honda Gathers Civic (w/ Results)

  • Thread starter Thread starter goixoye
  • 62 comments
  • 3,049 views
I had one more lap last nite, but failed to save it, cos i know i can do better.
Even though i took 4 seconds out of T10, which would give me a 7'09, but im not sure what it was exactly, so dont quote me on that.

I have raised the final drive also, and shortened all the gears so as to try and get more speed out of the car down the back straight, but i only managed to gain another 2 or 3 MPH as i went up the incline, so maybe thats the limit?

Did anyone else manage a quicker top end?

Either way, its going to be a long process of running and trying to gain a few tenths here and there, as each lap is easy to complete cleanly, and so mistakes are few.....

I find staying in third helps...

I could do with raising the ride height too, only problem is... its already touching ozone!
:irked:👍
 
Hi all,

Just a quick note to let you know im still around and competing, Ronnys doing a wonderfull job with the series and as such I couldnt not find the time to do a few laps.

Ran three laps in succession :

1) T10 7'15.xxx

2) T10 7'11.xxx

3) T10 7'08.027

Bit of minimal tuning after the first lap mainly the brakes and dampers.

Good to see you all still racing

best regards

David
 
I love the idea of a low power, FF car on the nurb, gotta balance WRS and NRS though, I dunno how Kent does it..
 
After about 5 laps I've got 7'07.0. Saw a 7'05.0 once so there's a lot left to find.
 
T10=7'12.609
Almost sideways once. **MIGHT** be able to get below 7'12. 147.5 miles.

EDIT:
T10=7'12.051 (-0.558). 177.6 miles. Couldn't quite get where I want to be but I think I'll call this week a wrap. Although still haven't tried MT. I did drop my lap time by -0.706 so I also improved the final sectors. I should probably just be satisfied and move on.
 
Havent had chance to run again on this one, i'll try and get some time in if i can, its difficult not being scarce on gtp irl at the moment for me...

Good luck to all of you, and judging by icemanshooter's T's, that doesnt include him!

On Dave's advice (nice to see you Mr George btw) i'll try adjusting the dampers next..

:irked:👍
 
Ran 3 laps. Got a T10 around the 7'12 mark.
Hopefully I'll be able to take 5-7 seconds off.
 
1 more flying lap this morning...

T10 = 7'06.227

Thats the lap i will submit to Ronny due to time issues...

Amazingly every lap was clean and fuss free, remarkable car but i think the power/tyre grip is more to do with how i stayed on track!

*Edit* Forgot to mention top speed reached 146 Mph

regards

David
 
Anyone sussed the gearbox on this screaming thing yet?

Nice split Mr George.

:irked:👍
 
:lol:
bbq, I don't balance them, I just fall over to one side, get back up and fall over to the other side. :p :lol:

Also, nice splits going around so far... Looks like I'm gonna have to put some more time in if I want to keep up. :trouble: ;)

Finally, VEXD,
I have managed to work the gear box properly now.
Suprisingly it looks like my knowledge of tuning has worked out for me.

Early I reported that I was 2k off the redline at the bottom of the hill on the back straight. After shortening the gear box (using the FD alone and never touching anything else), I managed to pull a little more speed out of the back stretch.

In a final effort to get the last little bit out of this sucker I actually went into the individual gears (not touching that damned auto slider) and moved 5th into a more "fitting" position.

Back straight yeilded a higher speed than before and that was without topping out (as it should be).

Once I get some time to run I will come back and post new T times (assuming I improve) and my top speed as well.

Until then,
Good luck all,
-
 
I just ran a 6'54 T10 on the first lap, Im assuming I messed up somewhere betwee the R5 tires and the R5 tires..Are we supposed to stick with the stock super hard race tires? Other than that I only did an oil change.
 
bbq0801
I just ran a 6'54 T10 on the first lap, Im assuming I messed up somewhere betwee the R5 tires and the R5 tires..Are we supposed to stick with the stock super hard race tires? Other than that I only did an oil change.
R1 tires this week. The car is stock except for an oil change.
 
Howdy all, long time no see.:cool:

I am having a blast with this week, and have 350km under the belt. I seem to have set the car up to suit my driving, so no more tweaking and tinkering from me.
Below are some splits if anyone is interested:

T1: 0'48.9xx
T2: 1'27.2xx
T10: 7'05.xxx.


My suspension setup:

Ride Height
110/115
Bounce
6/4
Rebound
8/8
Camber
2.0/1.6
Toe
0/1

The car tops out at 231km/h, not rapid as some, but power delivery and gear ratios are perfect from start to finish.👍
Not sure if we are allowed to post our tranny settings, but if you would like to try mine out, PM me.👍

Will run a few more laps before deadline.
Have a good one!👍
 
Hi guys. Sorry I wasn't able to update the leaderboard so far this week. It's just been hectic as hell this week, and I just couldn't find the time to update it, let alone drive a lap :p

Finally found some time today and was able to do a full 2 laps!!!

Splits so far (and probably definite)
T1: 49'719
T2: 1'28.566
T3: 2'00.713
T4: 2'57.645
T5: 3'41.698
T6: 4'15.515
T7: 5'12.811
T8: 5'59.597
T9: 6'24.659
T10: 7'12.317

Leaderboard is updated. Some really good time up there!!

Just a final question out of curiousity. Is anyone using the infamous 'tranny trick'?
 
New splits:

T1: 0'49.293
T2: 1'27.427
T3: 1'59.011
T4: 2'54.567
T5: 3'38.316
T6: 4'11.325
T7: 5'07.874
T8: 5'53.603
T9: 6'17.993
T10: 7'05.173

Seen a 7'04.566 at T10, but duffed it on the last corner.🤬
It's damn frustrating driving your fingers off for 20 odd kilometers to ruin it on the very last corner.:banghead:

Having phun?👍
 
managed to fiddle with the adjustments on my ps2 laser and got it working again. ran a quick 80mile stint to hammer out some settings, best clean lap:

49.376
1'27.389
1'58.863
2'54.626
3'38.537
4'11.554
5'07.658
5'54.082
6'19.044
7'05.442

if i have time to play at all (doubtful... too much homework :/ ) i figure there are 1-2 more seconds that are easily attainable.

cheers.
 
You're all too quick, and im all out of internet.

Im submitting now, as i wont be able to otherwise.

Ill try and get in here when i can during next week, so good luck to all of you.

Seems to be a nice crowd forming again, well done goixoye!!

:irked:👍

btw Kent, thanx for advice on gearbox, i found dragging auto out till 4th was 0.890 and then adjusting final to 5.500 and dragging all gears back in as close as they would go gave me a box i could effectively use, and a higher top speed up the hill on the back straight.

See you when i can chaps 👍
 
took a 2 hour study break and ran a time that i'm actually happy with:

49.226
1'27.221
1'58.880
2'54.647
3'38.353
4'11.180
5'06.900
5'52.606
6'16.927
7'02.838
final: faster than i thought this car could go

top speed: 145mph
 
got 8 laps in:
T1- 49.587
T2- 1'28.059
T3- 1'59.525
T4- 2'55.600
T5- 3'39.401
T6- 4'12.397
T7- 5'08.500
T8- 5'54.630
T9- 6'19.064
T10- 7'06.311

This is an awesome combo! I think this is my favorite combo so far in GT4 on any track, I hate driving FWD, but its a good learning experience and the civic doesnt bite too bad either. Low power, low weight, race tires.. great combo.

is there a leaderboard for NRS?
 
bbq0801
I hate driving FWD, but its a good learning experience and the civic doesnt bite too bad either.
is there a leaderboard for NRS?

this is probably the best FF in the game, so its pretty easy to drive. if you hate FWD its probably why you like this car. Its handling is quite neutral, with only a bias toward understeer... but it only pushes really bad on the turns that are negative cambered, and i was only encountering the "dog on a wood floor" feeling of it trying to claw its way around a corner in aremberg and adenauer forst. 👍

and yes on the leaderboard question: http://users.skynet.be/bartjebass/nrs.html
 
OnlyMe
Just a final question out of curiousity. Is anyone using the infamous 'tranny trick'?

I've not noticed this come up before...maybe because we haven't had an adjustable tranny but one other time (I think?).

How do you folks feel? Is it legal? My thought is that you could "manually" adjust the gears to the resultant ratios without the "trick" so what difference does it make? But I haven't actually tried it. Does it give you an unfair advantage? Is it "unrealistic"? How much of a difference does it really make?
 
I have never tried it myself and don't intend to either. The fact alone that it's a trick (and therefore not realistic) is reason enough for me to class it as illegal for any racing series... Just my two cents...

BTW: goixoye, I don't mean to rush you, but when do you think you can post the results of week 11?
 
OnlyMe
I have never tried it myself and don't intend to either. The fact alone that it's a trick (and therefore not realistic) is reason enough for me to class it as illegal for any racing series... Just my two cents...

BTW: goixoye, I don't mean to rush you, but when do you think you can post the results of week 11?

Submission deadline is 9pm GMT (same as Dave used) which is 4pm US EST. The deadline is approx. 4 hours away. My intent is to post results before I leave work at 5pm today. That will depend on what may be going on work at that time. At a minimum I hope to get this week's results (maybe not an updated leaderboard) posted before 5pm. If not then I should get everything should be posted by 8pm. My wife has this silly idea that I should eat dinner with the family and spend some time with her. If I got home from work and went straight to the computer for video game stuff she'd probably destroy the PS2 the next time I went to work....although my cockpit is lockable.

Relative to the tranny "trick". I guess the name was given to call it something. The theory I suppose is to put the gear ratios close together to increase acceleration through the gears and then extend the final drive ratio to allow more top end on long straights? In principle that seems "realistic"? But I don't know enough about gears, ratios, etc to know if it's possible or realistic to do this in the real world.

Of course GT4 is only but so realistic in that I've never had a flat nor any problems relative to contact with other cars or track barriers and I've not ever blown an engine either. If the "trick" is something that cannot be done to a real car or would not work on a real car it should be illegal. But then where do you draw the line as someone could manually make the same adjustments to the gears and final drive. Would you allow only "auto" adjustment of the tranny?

TCS and ASM is also not available on very many real cars. The only car that I'm sure has these things is a Mini Cooper S (the new one). But even then the driver cannot adjust TCS/ASM. So should the use of TCS/ASM be outlawed too?

If the object is to "simulate" real life driving then one would really need to look at many aspects of the game. One could probably have a series based on that. "The REAL LIFE drivers league" (or something).

Not trying to "attack" anybody but just wondering how far one would/should take this. I'm probably being too broad mined about the implications.
 
the "tranny trick" has been debated and scientifically tested to death since the release of gt4, and the overwhelming verdicts is:

IT DOESN'T DO JACK IN GT4...

the end.
 
goixoye
Submission deadline is 9pm GMT (same as Dave used) which is 4pm US EST. The deadline is approx. 4 hours away. My intent is to post results before I leave work at 5pm today. That will depend on what may be going on work at that time. At a minimum I hope to get this week's results (maybe not an updated leaderboard) posted before 5pm. If not then I should get everything should be posted by 8pm. My wife has this silly idea that I should eat dinner with the family and spend some time with her. If I got home from work and went straight to the computer for video game stuff she'd probably destroy the PS2 the next time I went to work....although my cockpit is lockable.

Oops, my mistake than... I apologize. I somehow thought the deadline for last week was sunday (yesterday)... Guess I should clean my glasses every now and then :p
 
Results & leaderboard posted. See post #3.
 
congrats to everyone that continues with this series. 👍
i'll put up a replay and my settings probably tomorrow morning if I have enough time to fire up the ps2.
 
Dr_Watson
congrats to everyone that continues with this series. 👍
DITTO THAT 👍


Congrats to Dr Watson on the win and the lap time 👍
Some super close times in the results all the way thru = great racing all

Well done goixoye on taking over the series and hosting your first event, you've done a great job 👍

Steve
 
Steve57
Well done goixoye on taking over the series and hosting your first event, you've done a great job
Yes, and I especially like the thread layout with the spacers for results. Makes it easy to find the important info.
 
Back